Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions for mormons anyone?

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited August 2010 in Faith & Religion
Hello; I have been lightly studying Mormonism and Jesus Christ and the Mormon philosophy etc. and I have been meeting Mormons almost weekly to talk about the religion.

Is there any questions anyone of you nice people would have as a Buddhist to ask these nice people I have been meeting (Latter-Day Saints Missionaries). Or the question can be simply about Mormonism and nothing to do with Buddhism or Buddhist philosophies you know what I mean.

I'd like to say - mabye just because I'm in the mood. - (ummm I spelled mabye like this and it says it's spelled wrong.. sup wit dat??) anyways back to the point.

I really see my "interfaith" as not an issue but I understand there may be philisophical differences but I do not even think it matters. Of course there is a whole thread dedicated to this here. But I would invite you to challenge this and if you have questions of this nature please use them. I may ask it to the Mormons and will certainly post they're answer on the thread.

The missionaries I have been seeing have alot of respect for Buddha and what he had to say and they believe that every religion has truth.

One good point someone made was the Buddha said no one can save another. Not only did he say it but I believe it rings true. The counter-argument made sense that Jesus also taught people to walk the 'narrow path'.

OK I SPELLED LIKE 3 WORDS CORRECTLY AND IT UNDERLINED THEM. WHAT COUNTRY AM I IN? haha.

Really looking forward to hearing questions.

ANYTHING PEOPLE!.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Nope.
    I can't think of anything I'd want to ask themn that could possibly interest me.
    Having practised Christianity for over 35 -40 years, I'm really quite happy with what I know, and am not curious in any way to gain anything further.
    but thanks, anyway.

(Oh, ok, one question:
    Have the Osmonds had their teeth capped, or do they really all have larger-than-life natural grins? :D
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    (ummm I spelled mabye like this and it says it's spelled wrong.. sup wit dat??)

A question worth answering!! :)

Maybe is spelled maybe, not mabye. That's what sup wit dat.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Aha how embarassing.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Aha how embarassing.

hehe :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    How does Mormonism explain the contradictions inherent in the Christian conception of good and evil?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    What do the magic undies feel like?
    edited April 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    How does Mormonism explain the contradictions inherent in the Christian conception of good and evil?

If you could explain the contradiction I might ask them about it.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    If you could explain the contradiction I might ask them about it.

OK, I'll try my best. Laying aside the fact that Satan originally appears in the Book of Job (part of the Old Testament that has its origins in the Hebrew Bible) as a servant of God who basically acts as a divine prosecutor, and assuming that these two entities literally exist more or less as how they are presented within Christianity as a whole, lets look at the the relationship between God and Satan from a more critical standpoint.

If, as Genesis asserts, God created all things, God also created evil in the act of creating everything, including Satan; in fact, at one point God even proclaims, "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things]" (Isa 45:7, KJV). God is also said to be omniscient, to have knowledge of all things, so God should have been well aware of the consequences of creating Satan regardless of which story of Satan's creation and fall is true (of which there are many). So logically speaking:

A. God created everything — including Satan — purposefully, and brought evil, pain and suffering into the world

B. God made a mistake in creating Satan, not knowing that he would eventually stage an epic rebellion

C. God isn't the true God or creator, but a lesser being — as per Gnosticism — who created the "material" world

D. There's no such thing as God or Satan, i.e., these aren't existent beings, merely mythological figures

A suggests that God isn't wholly good if God knowingly introduced evil, pain and suffering into the world. And while people often defend God by suggesting that we simply don’t understand his divine plan — that these blights are either Satan's (or, as some believe, Eve's) fault or that they aren't blights at all but serve some divine, unknown purpose — this line of reasoning seems to be the equivalent of defending a father's abuse of his child out of "love." From this perspective, Satan is more of an anti-hero for rebelling and rejecting God than a villain.

(As a side note, this seems to be one of the oldest arguments against a belief in God. The skeptic philosopher Aenesidemus, for example, ended his Arguments Against Belief in a God with the conclusion that, "Those who affirm positively that God exists cannot avoid falling into an impiety. For if they say that God controls everything, they make Him the author of evil things; if, on the other hand, they say that He controls some things only, or that He controls nothing, they are compelled to make God either grudging or impotent, and to do that is quite obviously an impiety.")

B suggests that God isn’t perfect, and therefore, fallible. Satan himself accuses God of this flaw in certain accounts of his fall. In this case, Satan appears to be the more truthful of the two, and again, not a villain.

C suggest a few tantalizing but more complicated scenarios, one of which being that Satan, also known as Lucifer (which itself is most likely a misunderstanding of Isaiah 14:12), is truly the bringer of [the] light [of knowledge] (assuming, of course, that he's the serpent in the Garden of Eden who tempts Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil), while God is responsible for the creation of an inherently flawed, material world. It's also interesting to note God's exclamation in Genesis 3:22: "And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever…"

D suggests that both God and Satan are simply human constructs (e.g., ancient myths used to describe the workings of the human mind and universe, etc.).

I was always partial to C myself; although, I find D the most probable. Now, I know that Mormonism has a slightly different take on Satan and his place within the divine "plan of salvation," but it still has to deal with this logical inconsistency.

Also, you can ask them how they deal with the fact that certain "divine" teachings and revelations have the ability to supersede and contradict others (e.g., Joseph Smith's 1843 revelation supporting plural marriage vs. Wilford Woodruff's 1890 declaration and Joseph F. Smith's 1904 declaration banning it, Brigham Young's Adam–God doctrine, Brigham Young's doctrine of blood atonement, etc.), which not only seems like a cheap way for the LDS Church to evade the problem of logical consistency, but a convenient way to abandon doctrines that have become unpopular as well.
    edited April 2010
    Excellent post that I'm going to have to read twice partly because it's 2:20 am right now.

I'll be back.
  • edited May 2010
    I think I would ask a Mormon why, if the tablets were written in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and Joseph Smith was a 19th century American, did the Angel insist the translation be in Elizabethan English?
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hmmm.... I was involved with an ex-mormon girl for 6 years... She was excommunicated when she left her husband because he was physically abusive to there three kids, had been for a long time... seem's he was elevated to the Elders Quorum shortly thereafter as well... go figure...

Anywho, she told me stuff that I wasn't sure if she was putting me on or being serious, so if you could clear up a few things I'd appreciate it...

1) Do the men of the Mormon temples have secret handshakes that will prove if they are a member or not?

2) Does Mormon underclothes have religious symbols stitched into them?

3) Do members have secret holy names given to them?

I guess thats all I can remember for now... That was over half a decade ago.. I'm sure there were others... will post more if I think of it...
  • edited May 2010
    Do Mormons believe humans can become Gods, and that God was originally a human himself?.

I've heard that before, and I'm really curious about it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What do Mormons have to do with Christianity?

Palzang
    edited June 2010
    I'm not sure why the OP created this thread... Many questions have been asked since it was started on 04-21-2010 and not one has been answered yet...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I can't answer the questions despite having read both The Book of Mormon and A Pearl of Great Price in preparation for return visits of LDS missionaries. What I can say is that I have encountered only courtesy and friendship from any LDS I have met, despite some strange beliefs.

As to what the Latter Day Saints have to do with Christianity, they believe that Jesus appeared in the Americas after the Resurrection - and why not? Certainly, other Christian churches do not recognise them as Christians and they never joined the World Council of Churches , just like the Roman Catholics!
  • edited June 2010
    The missionaries I have been seeing have alot of respect for Buddha and what he had to say and they believe that every religion has truth.
    Alot of respect for every religion is only recognising their religion as the only truth. In other word, they still does not accept that they are or all sentience are supremeness in nature or Absolute oneness and loving kindness.
  • edited June 2010
    I'll be back.

So he said on the 25th of April. :) Are the Mormones still hammering out the details of the reply?

Cheers, Thomas
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    well, let's hope he doesn't come back with a heart surgery scar and a facelift....
    or else I'll think the Mormons made him Governor of California......

When can you start? ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I base my opinion of Mormons on what they do, not what they supposedly believe (though that in itself is really out there). When you look at their history, you don't find much that is worth emulating, I'm afraid. They were kicked out of every place they appeared, not so much because of their extremely weird beliefs, but because of their bigotry, their need to stuff their religion down everybody's throat, and their insistence on polygamy, which their neighbors found to be repugnant in the worst way. After finally getting violently kicked out of Nauvoo, Illinois, they headed west to find their own land where nobody lived. Nobody white, that is. There were plenty of Indians in Utah, and the Mormons set to work busily exterminating those poor folk. They even exterminated non-Mormon white folk who happened to cross their land (the Mountain Meadows massacre in 1857 where an entire wagon train of 120 men, women, and children were butchered, apparently at the direct order of Brigham Young). They were only allowed to join the Union when they renounced polygamy officially, though in reality there remain countless polygamous enclaves in Utah and surrounding states, many of whom support forced marriages of very young girls as young as 12 to much older men.

I came across their "loving kindness" in Mongolia where hordes of young, blond Mormon studs roam the countryside, all dressed exactly the same with their starched white shirts and ridiculous ties, trying to con the locals into giving up their long Buddhist heritage and join the church, usually for the promise of free money and education (at Brigham Young University, where many Mongol students have committed suicide after the racist treatment they received there). Many Mongolians will take their money and go to their churches until the money runs out, then return to being Buddhists like they were all along. The Mormons rushed in after the fall of communism smelling opportunity to ensnare new suckers the same way flies smell u-no-what. It is repulsive.

Despite their loud advocacy of family, you have to understand that their definition of "family" is more like what most of us mean by "compliant". If you're gay, forget family. They'll run you out of town on a rail. And if you're black or some other color than white, you can forget ever being accepted as an equal by a Mormon. It was only recently that they were forced to allow blacks to join the church. Before that they considered blacks to have the mark of Ham and thus were untouchable and innately evil.

And don't get me started on Joseph Smith. The man was a looney who talked to an imaginary white salamander!

So that's where my question came from. These people practice nothing like Christianity and are about as far from the teachings of Christ as it is possible to be.

Palzang
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys.. thanks for the always thoughtful posts. I havn't been hanging around the Mormons much so I havn't had a chance to ask them these questions... next time I have them over I'll ask some.

Something that attracted me to besides Jesus's teachings was the idea of being able to spend time with my family after my death.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, good luck on that one. Of course, you're surrounded by your family every day. The Buddha taught that everyone was your mother at some time. Just think of it - a world full of Mommys!

Palzang
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Is there any questions anyone of you nice people would have as a Buddhist to ask these nice people I have been meeting (Latter-Day Saints Missionaries).

What is the Mormon position on porpoises?

P:lol:
    edited July 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    I base my opinion of Mormons on what they do, not what they supposedly believe (though that in itself is really out there). When you look at their history, you don't find much that is worth emulating, I'm afraid. They were kicked out of every place they appeared, not so much because of their extremely weird beliefs, but because of their bigotry, their need to stuff their religion down everybody's throat, and their insistence on polygamy, which their neighbors found to be repugnant in the worst way.
    I see many problems with Mormonism, but this doesn't jibe with my understanding of their history (mostly based on the rather anti-Mormon book Under the Banner of Heaven, which I highly recommend.) See for instance this description of the circumstances under which they left Ohio and the basis for the antagonism they subsequently faced in Missouri. If anything, Joseph Smith comes across in this book as an absolute saint by the time of his death.

My impression is that most of the problematic Mormon behaviors arose after Joseph Smith's murder, and reflect the same kind of corruption which arises in any religious movement after its seminal leader is no longer around. (The same kind of corruption can be found in Buddhism.)

All of this is based on the one book, which could be leading me astray, but I'd be interested to know what you're basing your claims on and what period of history they pertain to.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    What is the Mormon position on porpoises?

P:lol:

gay or straight porpoises?

Palzang
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys.. thanks for the always thoughtful posts. I havn't been hanging around the Mormons much so I havn't had a chance to ask them these questions... next time I have them over I'll ask some.

Something that attracted me to besides Jesus's teachings was the idea of being able to spend time with my family after my death.

Yes, that IS an IDEA. But saying it doesn't necessarily make it so.

The fact is, whatever happens when we die is whatever happens. And no amount of ideas, be they Mormon or Buddhist, will change what really happens. If there is life after death, we cannot know that until after we have died, and we cannot know what it is like until after we have died. If there is NO life after death ... we will never find that out!

We all have our beliefs one way or the other ... but it is really important to not to confuse "belief" with "knowledge".
    edited July 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    gay or straight porpoises?

Palzang

No, lady-boy porpoises actually:lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Actually I think the Mormon position on anything is the same as the missionary position...

5B, I think I may have (ahem) gone a tad overboard with my assertions. Actually, checking the sources (novel idea!) I see that in most cases (such as Nauvoo) the Mormons were run out because 1) everyone else in the area was jealous of their prosperity, and 2) they thought their religion was heretical and dangerous.

Palzang
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for checking, Palzang.
    edited July 2010
    To tell you probably a secret... after I became a part of the Mormon church, they said something I don't think they tell people who aren't part of it.

They told me they were going to help me become 'one with God.'
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    To tell you probably a secret... after I became a part of the Mormon church, they said something I don't think they tell people who aren't part of it.

Meaning that you and God are separate things to start with. That's my problem with Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. They see "me" and "God" as totally separate things requiring strenuous effort in order to "become one".

Mtns
    edited July 2010

Run away! :lol:

P
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Good advice! If God is everywhere, how can you be apart from her?!

Palzang
    edited July 2010
    This view of "God" is exactly what the view of the "Tao" is... We are in union with the Tao (God) not separate...
    porpoise wrote: »
    Run away!

P

This reminds me of a time when I was about 13 or 14 and believed whole heartedly in "god" and I was at army camp and a kid who wasn't shy about his pagan upbringing asked me and a god fearing friend of mine to show us our god... we obviously said we couldn't... Then he said he would show us his good tomorrow...

Well, we prayed and were very afraid that the pagan boy was seriously going to produce his evil pagan god to us...

The next day some time in the afternoon he indeed showed us his god... He brought us to a huge oak tree and said, "there's my god" and laughed at us and walked away...
  • edited July 2010
    When I was in Basic I had a battle buddy (A guy that I was voluntold that I had to stay near my entire basic) was a Mormon and he was always unusually happy all the time. Then he convinced me to go to church with him (Also was able to get out of the Barracks and away from the DIs for 3 hours) Well when I went there everyone there was also very unusually happy it freaked me out. I felt like any moment they were going to jump me or something evil would come up from the ground. Nothing against Mormons they just give me the heebie Jeebies when I talk to them.
  • edited July 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    This view of "God" is exactly what the view of the "Tao" is... We are in union with the Tao (God) not separate...

This reminds me of a time when I was about 13 or 14 and believed whole heartedly in "god" and I was at army camp and a kid who wasn't shy about his pagan upbringing asked me and a god fearing friend of mine to show us our god... we obviously said we couldn't... Then he said he would show us his good tomorrow...

Well, we prayed and were very afraid that the pagan boy was seriously going to produce his evil pagan god to us...

The next day some time in the afternoon he indeed showed us his god... He brought us to a huge oak tree and said, "there's my god" and laughed at us and walked away...

I had a funny Jewish Pagan Cowboy kid in basic also man was he a retard.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    The special underwear makes everyone very happy ;)
  • edited August 2010
    How come they always bother me at the most inconvenient times? Like when I'm unclothed, or..Yeah, thats all I'm really curious about.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I know a bit about Mormonism, so can answer some of these.
    Their story is that God didn't create everything, he just gave shape to a universe that already existed, so good and evil were already present.

They believe that at a council of angels before the Earth was created, God presented his plan to create a world and allow his "spirit children" to incarnate there to gain experience and wisdom and earn their place in one of the heavens, Jesus agreed to the plan and offered himself as the sacrificial lamb, as they believe people can never hope to get into heaven on their own merits, as to go to heaven they must be pure, so Jesus took their sins on him. Lucifer disagreed with the plan and said that all people should be made sinless so they could all get back into heaven. Since Lucifer's plan was rejected he led a war in heaven and got exiled. He wasn't made evil, his pride made him evil.
    I think I would ask a Mormon why, if the tablets were written in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and Joseph Smith was a 19th century American, did the Angel insist the translation be in Elizabethan English?
    The angel (Moroni) didn't insist anything. Smith would stick his head in a hat and read out the words that were magically translated for him, it was his decision to write the BoM in a similar style to the Bible, he could have written it however he wanted.
    Do Mormons believe humans can become Gods, and that God was originally a human himself?
    Yes. They believe God was once a man who was so good and sinless that after death he was awarded with a universe of his own to continue the Creation. He lives on a planet orbiting a star called Kolob. And yes, they believe we all have the potential to do the same, so long as we're Mormon, fulfil all the covenants and lead a pretty much blameless life.
    What do Mormons have to do with Christianity?
    Mormonism is what you get if you take scriptural literalism to its logical extreme.

That seems contrary to everything I've ever learnt, are you sure they didn't say they'd help you become like God?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Wow, the more I learn about Mormonism, the more bizarre it becomes. Are you sure L. Ron Hubbard didn't invent it? Is there a way to unlearn what I've heard?!

Palzang
    edited August 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    That seems contrary to everything I've ever learnt, are you sure they didn't say they'd help you become like God?

"... help you become one with the Father."

To me that is similar meaning to becoming like God.

I'd like to ask them about alot of the things you said. I'll go through some questions and ask them myself.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    "... help you become one with the Father."
    Very strange. The Mormon godhead is unique in that, unlike the Trinity, their God is composed of three beings. God the Father and God the Son (Jesus) a beings of flesh and bone, they have physical bodies. I can't understand why they'd say you could become one with the Father, it sounds almost heretical.

Are you certain these were from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? There are other groups like the FLDS and RLDS who have different beliefs.
    edited August 2010
    Definetly LDS missionaries. I'm going to ask some other LDS missionaries about what they said.