Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what is the rebirth?

treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
i have a few question about this :buck: any one care to answser??
dis really troubles me and what is karma and what decides that we are reborn? :-/

Comments

• edited September 2005
    well........... it's a very hard concept, but your karma, when you die, is poured into the karma of another in the moment of birth, for what you feel when you die , see how to practice, by the dalai lama for full details. but they may or may not be buddhist, but they will still have karma, well your all probly like :whatever:

see the book i mentioned earlier for better details.
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    thanx for info i think i got it (no at all :confused: )

now im majorly confused
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    i have a few question about this :buck: any one care to answser??
    dis really troubles me and what is karma and what decides that we are reborn? :-/

Just to make a distinction for you, Rebirth and reincarnation are defined as two different things:

Reincarnation is, pretty much coming back more or less the way you were... same characteristics and so on... a bit like 'Groundhog Day' really....

Re-Birth is when the Energy that drove and powered your phisical system is transferred on to a new entity.... Even your Phisics/Science Tutor will explain that Energy cannot be either created nor destroyed... it can be channelled, modified or transferred, but it's always there, and always will be... so you get to come back in the eternal cycle of Samsara, the perpetual wheel of Dukka - but not necessarily as 'Homo Sapiens... you could be a goldfish next time - so make the most of this life - !!

Try to relax.... You're asking really rather complex questions on extremely convoluted subjects that even long standing and experienced Buddhists are still pondering.... Chill, and don't try to learn too much too quickly... remember that even the Buddha took 6 years to get all this under his belt... some of us would be glad with only half of what he knew, in one lifetime - !!
  • edited September 2005
    very well put, far better than mine lol :mullet: and that applies to me too. i am a bit overeager and i'll try to relax
    edited September 2005
    thanx,
    that was a bit more explanitory than sufferer :p put it and your right i should slow down but i still have a question what about Buddha? it said that when he reached nirvana that he was broken from the the chain of ribirth? and i still whant to know what reincarnation means.

(is it the same diffination as a religous sense :confused:????
  • edited September 2005
    you want the meaning well.............. the dictionary says
    1. rebirth of the soul in another body................. which I know that we think they're 2 different things so don't chew me out and
    2. a reappearance or revitalization in another form, a new embodiement.

:whatever:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Kamma and rebirth: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanatiloka/wheel394.html#ch2

Perhaps this may also help - The Thirty-one Planes of Existence: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html

Or, if rebirth seems too nonsensical - Does Rebirth Make Sense? by Bhikkhu Bodhi: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bps-essay_46.html
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Thought this "Glimpse" from Sogyal Rinpoche sums it up rather well:
    [font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]September 17[/font] [font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]
    The King Milinda once asked the Buddhist sage Nagasena: “When someone is reborn, is he the same as the one who just died, or is he different?”[/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]Nagasena replied: “He is neither the same nor different.[/font][font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif] . . .[/font][font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]Tell me, if a man were to light a lamp, could it provide light the whole night long?”[/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]“Yes.”[/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]“Is the flame then which burns in the first watch of the night the same as the one that burns in the second . . . or the last?”[/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]“No.”[/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]“Does that mean there is one lamp in the first watch of the night, another in the second, and another in the third?”[/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]“No, it’s because of that one lamp that the light shines all night.”[/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]“Rebirth is much the same: One phenomenon arises and another stops, simultaneously. So the first act of consciousness in the new existence is neither the same as the last act of consciousness in the previous existence, nor is it different.”
    [/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]And, as I keep on repeating, my late Soul Friend used to ask: "When my spark goes back to the Flame, does it still have my name on it?"
    [/font]
    edited September 2005
    :type:
    just what to say thanx for the info :p and all the help in ansering all my questions ive have leared so much from u guys :mullet: :buck: :p

and im sorry for your loss newpilgrem and thats a good question does it? well i hope so :usflag:
  • edited September 2005
    sorry for the loss, simon. :sadc:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Thank you for your sympathy. It is one of the interesting aspects of getting older: we come to the point where more of our friends are dead than remain alive!

The result, for me, of 'losing' quite a few very close people, I have realised that my relationships with them are still 'open connections' where the "gone before" have posted "brb". I can carry on our conversations and jokes and closenesses even tho' they have gone a bit quiet.
  • edited September 2005
    that's a great may of dealing with it. I had someone very close to me die, and let me tell you it almost pushed me over the edge. :-/
    edited September 2005
    dude that so deep do u think that your friend has been reborn? and this way of thinking people never really die just get a bit quite like u said thats awesome