Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tension behind my eyes

edited April 2010 in Meditation
I've noticed recently something that is hindering my meditation attempts. As I try to relax all of my muscles, release tension and focus on my breath, I notice a tension behind/above my eyes. I try to release this tension, but I find it impossible, I kind of move it around but I can't seem to release it. It starts to frustrate me and is counterproductive.

Does anyone else experience this and do you have any suggestions?

Comments

• GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Sometimes it's just eye strain from too much reading or time at the computer/TV/etc. I sometimes do some simple eye exercises to help. Pressure can also signify a physical problem such as glaucoma, diabetes or a migraine, so if it becomes something persistent and irritating, you may want to see a doctor.
  • edited April 2010
    I sometimes get migraines due to lack of sleep/too much time with bright lights (flourescents, or computer/tv). I've recently been exposed to all of that so it's likely related, though there is no pain at the moment. I'll keep an eye on it :^)
  • edited April 2010
    sometimes when i massage my eyeball area and squeeeze them using the eye muscles, they relax. don't know if that will help, but that's what is good for me when there's tension

300px-Lateral_orbit_nerves.jpg
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2010
    It could be that you are concentrating. Awareness practice is not an effort. Any effort is an object within awareness. Awareness is the basic transparency that all your concentration, tension, eye pain, and effort is happening in. Like space. Step back into non-effort.

or maybe you have sore eyes from reading or something.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited April 2010
    you meditating eyes open/close?---try close them.
    probably its because u have eye defect dont threated correctly: Myopia,etc...happens to me when i dont use my lenses..
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    sometimes when i massage my eyeball area and squeeeze them using the eye muscles, they relax. don't know if that will help, but that's what is good for me when there's tension

300px-Lateral_orbit_nerves.jpg

Ack! With a mug like that I bet you only get blind dates.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    TGE:

If its just behind and a little above, consider pressing one finger into the top of the crease between your brows and massage a few small moving spirals outward keeping a steady pressure. Then get back to breath focus and see if it helps.

Good luck,

Matt
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take it all into account when I try to meditate tomorrow.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I've noticed recently something that is hindering my meditation attempts. As I try to relax all of my muscles, release tension and focus on my breath, I notice a tension behind/above my eyes. I try to release this tension, but I find it impossible, I kind of move it around but I can't seem to release it. It starts to frustrate me and is counterproductive.

Does anyone else experience this and do you have any suggestions?

Welcome to the club :(
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Please have a look at this when you find time. It helped me a great deal to deal with this particular issue:

http://video.google.de/videoplay?doc...0254352711693#
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I try to release this tension, but I find it impossible, I kind of move it around but I can't seem to release it. It starts to frustrate me and is counterproductive.

I experience all kinds of weird bodily sensations when I meditate, and one of the hardest things is to relax my eyes and the tension behind/around them. I know what you mean and I'm sad to say I have no suggestions other than doing your best to relax the eyes as much as you can and keep focusing on the breath. I know exactly what you mean when you say you can "move" the tension around, but not release it. That's a great explanation.

Whenever I meditate, I end up realizing how tense my eye muscles are on a daily basis (probably from staring at the computer/TV/books too much) and relaxing them is hard cause I have to keep them half open according to the kind of meditation I'm practicing.
  • I hope someone can help me with this one, A week or 2 ago while meditating I could tension something between my eyes, I did it a few times and after that I saw my eyes were red, as if all the blood couldnt go through anymore. Its better now but sometimes (like a a few mins ago) I can feel it again. It really scares me and hope te get a reply soon from someone experienced.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    In that case, go and see an ophthalmologist.
    If you are scrunching your eyes up in daylight and seeing red, it could be the blood in your eyelids.
    Impossible to say for sure.
    Nobody here is experienced or professional enough to be able to give an accurate, definitive and decisive reply on line, on a forum, possibly in another country, without seeing you.

Also, I think that English is not your first language, so maybe there is danger of misinterpretation.

• I used to have a problem with cramping, and also even when my body was relaxed my head felt like a brick. Then I began doing a few Yoga relaxation exercises before meditation and that fixed it. Now after a few minutes of meditation I have no sense of having a body at all.