Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello all, I'm fairly new to Buddhism and even newer to this particular forum, so I thought I would make my presence known around the place and attempt to assimilate myself into your seemingly tight-knit community. Aside from introducing myself to you folks, I also have a question pertaining to karma, and karmic activity. I understand the concept of karma, and I understand from the basic Buddhist texts I have read that karma is a big part of Buddhism and it's various forms; however, I have heard theories of karma used by non-Buddhists many times, most notably my own family, who are Polish Catholic on both sides. My question is: did karma originate from the time of the original Buddha, or is it a general spiritual idea that is simply further embraced by Buddhism. If this is a stupid question, thanks for your patience.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Welcome to our site! While tight-knit, we are very welcoming and simply love it when new people join up and participate :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Hello Malacosteus and welcome!

Karma/kamma is a very ancient concept, taught and believed from long before the birth and teaching of the historical Buddha. We can find references to the notion in the oldest spiritual documents, such as the Vedas.

It can even be found, later, in the questions that the scholars put to Jesus about the man born blind, so it is not entirely surprising that your Polish Catholic family might refer to it, although it looks as though, from the earliest time, Christians rejected the idea.

Hope that helps.
  • edited September 2005
    It does help, thank you, and upon retrospect I should have researched it more myself because it seems that explanation of karma is a well known one, so I take the blame for my ignorance there. So as not to overload the forum with topics pertaining to questions, I'd like to post another one in this topic, and perhaps both topics can be discussed, though I'm sure there will be some bad repercussions here ;) I am just a couple months away from turning 20 and have been raised in your typical American suburban neighborhood; two story house, all the luxuries available (almost), etc. Thus I have been dampened throughout my childhood by television, and more recently the internet, which is a great information tool when used properly, but very rarely seems to be used in that way (aside from sites like this of course;)) So, because of this, I find it difficult to really become immersed in strict Buddhist doctrine at this point in my life; I still enjoy going to the movies for the fun of it, listening to music, driving around, doing all of that stuff. This is only semi-relevant; my real question has to deal with my interests, and how to differentiate between wrong thought and mere curiosity. For example, I don't practice magick, I don't worship Satan and I certainly don't condone any evil activities, but nevertheless I am drawn to the stories of things like the Order of the Golden Dawn and the Knights Templar, and to people like Aleister Crowley...I don't imitate or preach their behavior, I simply am interested in the subject, and perhaps others like it. Is this some sort of deep seated obsession (I really don't think it is) and where otherwise do things like this fall amongst Buddhists?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Have any of the questions you posed in the above post been answered, since you've had a look around the forum, or are they still outstanding?
    Shame on us if they are....
    Come back in and have a talk... we can then either re-cap, or point you in the right direction.... ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Malacosteus,

A infamous member here by the name of Palzang just posted a thread regarding this.

He was making a point that, in his beliefs, that karma shouldn't be looked at something like a "punishment" for our actions.

He was stating that karma is the same as action and reaction. You do something, something else will happen as a result of it. Not that you're being punished - but that's just how things work.

I thought it was interesting since some posts of karma see us "paying" for our actions, our actions in a previous life or the actions of our ancestores.

Just a different view I thought was interesting.

Welcome.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    :P I had forgotten all about this post, I haven't been around much, though I do visit the forums every now and again. I've since grown out of the silly interests I stated above, so it's no big deal.
  • edited March 2006
    I don't see what is silly about trying to understand karma...especially one's own.
  • edited March 2006
    No no, not the karma, I was referring to the second half of my second post.