Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Buddhism fit into my life?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hey guys. This gonna be long, so bare with me.
I know I don't beileive in "God". I don't really know what I do beileive in, but doing research into Buddhism, it makes sense. Basically, I just wanna describe to you parts of my life that I'm not sure will really fit into being a Buddhist. (Im 15 years old, btw)

1. I collect comic books. and alot of them. I know that buddhist ten to stray away from material goods and such. And Comics are something I LOVE and will never get rid of.

2. I LOVE movies. I want to be a filmmaker when I grow up. I also really like action movies, some of which can be pretty violent. I don't like to participate IN violence, but I really like stylistictly violent films (Such as Kill Bill).

3. I play videogames, again, violent, material things.

4. I'm a teenager! I like to hang out and do things that sometimes aren't very smart, but I have fun and always keep my common sense.

5. sex. I haven't had it, but I'm not against having sex before mariage or anything like that. When the times comes it'll happen.

These are just things in my life that really make me, me. Not so much the sex thing, thats just a bonus for further on it life. Thanks very much guys.

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi tanner,

Well for a start you're 15, so your feelings may change dramatically over the upcoming years. My suggestion is to investigate Buddhism, see if the Buddha's teachings resonate with you and if so, investigate some more.

We cannot tell you how to live, only offer suggestions for sources and books etc. Whether or not you take refuge in the teachings and choose to follow Buddhism is entirely your choice.

I suggest http://www.accesstoinsight.org and http://www.buddhanet.net as starting points.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks very much, Raven!
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    tanner.ks,

Welcome to the forums! I wouldn't worry too much about what you can and cannot do while practicing Buddhism... when the time comes, you'll give up what doesn't make sense anymore and just do what does make sense. There are plenty of people who do some of those things and plenty who don't.

If you start some meditation, maybe find a local temple where you can look around, you might find yourself simply interacting with the stuff around you more skillfully... less fears, more understanding and so on. Its not really about "thou shalts"

What kind of research into Buddhism have you been doing?

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited April 2010
    Exactly! I think the "thou shalts" is what really drives me crazy about most organized religions. My research has mainly been online, just about basic values of buddhism and such, also a tad on meditation. Not a whole lot, honestly.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I know that buddhist ten to stray away from material goods and such.

Some do. Some go to extremes. The Buddha taught that clinging and craving is the issue which leads to dukkha, not material things in and of themselves.
    Basically, I just wanna describe to you parts of my life that I'm not sure will really fit into being a Buddhist.

Buddhism is a path. It teaches self-reflection and -examination. The Buddha taught: "When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness" — then you should enter & remain in them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said."

Buddhism is a lot of things to a lot of people. What are you looking/hoping for?
    These are just things in my life that really make me, me. Not so much the sex thing, thats just a bonus for further on it life.

Bwahaha classic.
  • edited April 2010
    the key to buddhism is non attachment , if you can have and enjoy those things and not feel a NEED for them then i think you are as capable as any to be a buddhist and the remarkable thing about buddhism is that it can be shaped and adjusted to are culture and personal beliefs ,
    just follow your commen sense
  • edited April 2010
    4. I'm a teenager! I like to hang out and do things that sometimes aren't very smart, but I have fun and always keep my common sense.

Have fun! be safe obviously. In my practice the more I examine what is "fun" any why I am attached to it the more I think that I might not need it. This also come from impermanence and change. What you think of as fun now might not be the same thing in 10 years.

Try to, as much as you can, surround yourself with people who are at a stage of understanding that you would like to aspire to. When I was in Highschool I hung out with lots of people, some of which didn't even graduate, who were indifferent about any spiritual practice and didn't know anything about Buddhism. So in the long run these people weren't beneficial to my development. From that point of view college didn't help much either.

-Violence-
    I can relate I have played violent video games my whole life. I also have and still sometimes do listen to Death Metal. Very Violent, but spiritually absent. In Mahayana Buddhist practice the ideal of loving-kindness is stressed. That is to have compassion and loving kindness for all sentient beings. So it isn't helpful for me to spend to much time listening to music like that - or at least when I do it is helpful to keep in mind their anti-humanist/nihilistic ideals and how it is 100% contrary to the feelings I cultivate and aspire towards.

Through insight and long periods of different types of meditation, the more I cultivated loving-kindness the more I was able to examine my attachment towards violent video games and death metal. As it turns out - it was never about the violence - it was always about my non-existent relationship with my father.

There are many wonderful Buddhist paths (all of them). Read, study and practice when you can. Keep a healthy amount of skepticism and don't believe anything unless it fits within your own reason and common sense.

I hope this helps :)
  • edited April 2010
    windchime wrote: »
    buddhism is that it can be shaped and adjusted to our culture and personal beliefs

can you please elaborate? I need clarification.
  • edited April 2010
    You guys are awesome. Thanks alot!
    I suppose for right now more research is in order, but as I do I'll just make sure not to allow myself to become attached to these things, and recognize that they bring me happiness now, but not to let them consume my life. Like, playing videogames is a very social experiance for me, as I almost always play with friends, and we sorta bond through it. Same with the movies.
    One last thing I forgot to add...
    I tried to become vegetarian when I was 13 and lasted about 3-6 months, and began to eat meat again. Honestly, it was too hard for me. My intire family ate meat and they wouldn't even help me prepare an alternative dinner for me, my mom would still pack me sandwhiches with meat in them, etc. Is this going against Buddhism?

Also to answer o0Mundus-Vult-Decipi0o, I'm just looking for a good way of life. Christianity has always made me feel like a bad person, to fear death, etc. I have come to terms that I cannot beilieve in that, and right now I consider myself agnostic. I want to feel like I can live my life not feeling guilty about the things I do, that I don't have to live by strict rules, etc. Just that I can live an honest decent life, and when I die, be at peace, not terrified I'm going to burn in enternity.
  • edited April 2010
    Yes! it sounds like you are getting some good ideas. Mainly, try to be aware of all the things you do, and why you do them.
    I like to make mental notes like -
    Is this helpful to me? or is it helpful to everyone?
    why am I so strongly attached to xyz? why do i try to avoid xyz at all costs?
    The answers aren't that important at this point. keep an open mind :)
    I tried to become vegetarian

The Buddha never taught that you can't eat meat - so don't worry about that for now.

The only discrepancy I know of is when an animal is killed specifically for you, that area gets a little sketchy. There are probably others who are here who could clarify that point.
  • edited April 2010
    Then that's what I'll do!

I am curious as to the views of sex in buddhism, though. I dont want you guys to think im obsessed or anything, im just curious as to how it's looked upon.
  • edited April 2010
    tanner.ks wrote: »
    Then that's what I'll do!

I am curious as to the views of sex in buddhism, though. I dont want you guys to think im obsessed or anything, im just curious as to how it's looked upon.

Don't hurt other people or their feelings when engaging in sexual behavior.

Remember though the main point of Buddhism is to deal with afflictive emotions (Attachment/Ignorance/Aversion).
    You can also think about these three in terms of
    "I really want Xyx"
    "I feel indifferent towards Xyz"
    "I Don't Want Xyz"
    In this sense try to reflect on any and all emotions. It is often said sex is driven out of attachment or lust although this isn't always the case. I would say that the conclusion is to have a deeper connection with the person you are engaging in sexual behavior with.

Certainly look up the 10 misdeeds in Buddhism and see what it has to say about "Sexual Misconduct" and come to your own conclusion. How is this going to help you and what goals do you have with spiritual development?

So remember when you think about monks or nuns who don't have sex - remember that is just one aspect and you and I aren't monks and nuns. Rules that apply to them to help them in their endevours might not help us because we are not in the same situation as they are.

Additionally there are many threads about this in the forums here and other people who can offer more insight.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Tanner,

Welcome! I wish I'd discovered the dharma when I was your age! I'll just echo what's already been said. You'll find as you grow up and grow older that your tastes, interests, and passions will change. That's part of the beauty of life. Think how boring it would be if the things that interested you now were it for the rest of your life. Even if you like them (even if you love them), variety is the spice of life, so be open to letting old things go and developing new interests and passions. If you'd told me when I was your age that I would be passionate about nursing when I was 48 I'd have recommended you see a mental health professional very soon. If you choose to follow the Buddhist path, you will probably find that your attachment to "stuff" (like comics and video games) will naturally fall away of its own accord. That's not a bad thing. I'm still going through the process of letting go of things that have been a big part of my life since I was your age, so it's an ongoing process.

Whatever you may choose, I wish you the best.

Mtns
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks Mtns!