Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I think I finally "got" it

edited April 2010 in Meditation
As I was meditating yesterday, I realized that I wasn't exactly concentrating on my breaths but simply counting them. A slight adjustment in my practice and attitude towards the meditation has produced tremendous effects. I have a feeling that greater experiences are soon to come.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    indeed

one must be wary of what is ordinarily regarded as "concentrating" (with power, force & strain)

for the eye to see an object or for the ear to hear a sound is automatic; it does not require concentrating

similarly, when the mind is in a receptive state, it automatically senses the breathing

whilst this is subtle, indeed, the mind is simply noting or "counting" breaths is the more refined practise (which will bring more profound results)

best wishes

:smilec:
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    one must be wary of what is ordinarily regarded as "concentrating" (with power, force & strain)

for the eye to see an object or for the ear to hear a sound is automatic; it does not require concentrating

This really hits home with me. Sometimes while meditating, I make myself believe I'm "concentrating" when all I'm really doing is tensing and straining. It's not easy to find the "real" concentration that I'm looking for, but I get glimpses of it in every session and I feel I get closer to it as I practice.