Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who believes in miracles

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited May 2010 in General Banter
Yes or no?

Me: Yes.

I heard a story on a retreat that Ajahn Cha's teacher or something used to come out of meditations in the air.

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    What do you mean by miracle?
  • edited April 2010
    Definition 1 from Webster's Dictionary sets out "miracle" to be: an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs. If this is the definition we're using? My answer is No.

Definition 2 reads as follows: an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment. If this is the definition we're using? Then sure. But that second definition is extremely undefined and vague. The amount of "happenings" that could be fit under it may be astronomical.

Over all, why bother "defining" an event into the category of "miracle" or not? If something happened, it happened. That's all.

Namaste~
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2010
    One of my favorite lines from a P.D. James mystery is:

Miracles happen whether you believe in them or not.

It's only certain "miracles" which cause me to suspend my belief. Some things are just too suspicious seeming to warrant further scrutiny on my part.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-Cy4Jh3TaE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-Cy4Jh3TaE&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited April 2010
    .. fail.
    edited April 2010
    I was asking for it.. I'll let it go.
    edited April 2010
    I'm still curious cmon
    edited May 2010
    I was fortunate enough to spend time each day for a week with the former abbot of this monastery in India (exiled state) Khensur Phuntsok Rinpoche (one of the first to flee Tibet) and a young also lama from the monastery.

From inside cover of "Sacred Chant's from the monks of Drepung Gomang Monastery.

"Gomang is the oldest of the seven colleges included in Drepung. Its name translates as "many doors" and comes from the monastery's many accomplished spiritual masters who had deep realizations of emptiness which enabled them to pass through the walls with no need of doors"

"Out of Gomang have come famous philosophers and scholarly high masters who have manifested miracles as a sign of their spiritual accomplishment"

I doubt the high Lama of this monastery was ignorant of this content in the CD case.

Personally I think Siddhartha Gotama Buddha told people not to practice for the purpose of learning miracles because he realized they'd start actually learning how to do them and then it would be a shit show like it was for some of his other disciples.

This is general banter so don't be afraid to give me your thoughts and we all probably realize that thinking about it is useless or something to that effect.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't believe in them.

I would define a miracle as an act that defies the laws of physics/senses/logic/etc.

If something physically cant happen, then it physically cant happen.

However, i really think five bells in on to something with that response.

Once you add sexy things into the equation, the matter is not so clear to me.

Must investigate further.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    see Kevatta Sutta

:smilec: