Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are the ramifications of a hung Parliament?

bushinokibushinoki Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Today
My British friends, I need your help understanding this. What does it mean for Great Britain if you have a "Hung Parliament"? How will this affect the political scene across the pond? How will it affect you?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    It makes it difficult to pass legislation and make decisions affecting the country. It destabilises the economy as investors and traders become uncertain and scared of the future in the UK. It means that there will be another election in the near future - more than likely to be in the next 12 months.

It will affect me as a citizen of the UK because as the economy struggles it becomes harder to plan for the future due to job losses, the fall in the pound, all sorts of decisions such as those relating to investment in the NHS, education, welfare and the defence budget are put on hold or are only provisional so progress grinds to a holt. It will affect the US in terms of tourism, business and NATO.

However, it should mean that extremes are avoided, so we may escape the fate of austerity measures such as those affecting Greece.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    It's possible that if the parties cannot come to a coalition agreement, they will hold a second election.
    it is to be hoped that the people who missed out on voting last time (if it goes ahead) will have opportunity to cast their votes and at least give one party a reasonable majority.
    it's between the 'Big Two' as Nick Clegg is about as effective as an ice cube trying to light a firework.
    Damp sqiubb doesn't cover it.....
  • edited May 2010
    Damp squibb he maybe (or not) but he holds a lot of power right now, he can play with either of the big two.
  • edited May 2010
    Not sure exactly how parliament works but if there is no majority wouldn't it mean the politicians have to compromise in order to govern? Here in the US I always hope for Congress to be from one political party and the president from the other. They are forced to negotiate or wind up doing nothing and looking more foolish than normal. When the politicians are busy arguing with each other they usually are keeping their hands out of our pockets.
  • edited May 2010
    they usually are keeping their hands out of our pockets
    Most of us have done that in our past lives...
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    bushinoki wrote: »
    My British friends, I need your help understanding this. What does it mean for Great Britain if you have a "Hung Parliament"? How will this affect the political scene across the pond? How will it affect you?
    It's about equivalent to what would happen in the US if no one had a majority in the Senate because a third party emerged, except that they don't have defined intervals for elections so it tends to bring on the next one much quicker. In the meantime, they're trying to wrangle and agreement to get a majority (or as close to one as they can).

Also, their Prime Minister is elected by Parliament, not separately like our President, so it effects nearly their entire government rather than just 1 branch.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Also, note that federica is not a Liberal Democrat. At least I hope not with that resounding endorsement! :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not an 'anything'! I never cast a vote, because I am not on the electoral register. Even if I had been, i wouldn't have voted for any of them. I withhold my support, because no one party is any better than any other. I don't have any trust or confidence in any of them.... as they say, it little matters whom you vote for: The Government always gets in.....

Nick Clegg holds absolutely no independent power, and I think he would much rather 'do a deal' and side with the conservatives, than with the Labour party, because let's face it:

When Labour last came into power, they inherited one of the most buoyant and successful economies in the western world. Now that we have a hung parliament, basically, the economy is one of the worst ever, in the history of the united kingdom.

Gordon Brown (leader of the Labour party) as Chancellor of the Exchequer, sold our Gold reserves (a long held and historic fund of gold) for a miserable amount, and made the worst financial decision he could ever have made, given that gold was at an all-time low... he then compounded his idiocy by almost single-handedly plunging this country head-first into the worst recession in living memory, and caused the first run on a bank in 186 years.
    His pre-election speeches kept banging on about the recession in the 1930's, neatly avoiding the fact that this recession - caused largely by his own complete ineptitude - was really his responsibility. As I watched him, not only did I NOT believe a single word he was saying, I am completely sure he didn't either.
    Furthermore, if Clegg does a deal with the Labour party, he'll be siding with the losers.
    I think he'd far rather be seen to be rubbing shoulders with those who seemed to have gained the majority....
    I know I would.
    But then, I'm not a politician, because I have a brain.
  • edited May 2010
    It is interesting that you have plenty of opinions about British politics and complaints about the Labour leader and yet you have never cast a vote. I assume that is because you are unable to vote for some reason, otherwise it is difficult to understand. :rolleyes:

The ability to vote is a right that people have fought and died for. If you don't want it that's one thing, but to then complain about the results of an election is quite another!

It was a scandal that many missed their vote because of the queues and the legal requirement for polls to close at 10pm; but I doubt that they were enough to create a majority for any party.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Fran, thank you. I don't claim to have a perfect record when it comes to voting, but I do vote, and then I complain when I see the government as acting stupid.

Fede, please vote. even if the election is between a turd sandwich and a bucket of puke, surely you can find one of the two that is less of a problem. It is the involvement more than anything that makes the democratic principle work.
  • TheJudgeTheJudge Lord New
    edited May 2010
    Bushinoki, the situation is very similar to the problems facing Barack Obama, in that he does not have the 'firepower' to get all of his legislation passed as he does not have a working majority. Nevertheless, only about 20% of government in the UK is about legislation (it should be noted that the previous Labour Government passed more legislation than was perhaps needed or wanted). As for any effect, well it is argued that those parties that have lent us the approx 160 Billion pounds want to see a government that is both stable and prepared to get to grips with reducing our nations deficit. This is going to involve massive cuts in public services and potentially huge tax increases, therefore the impact is such that any party associated with these draconian measures is going to have to face the ire of the voting public. This is of particular significance as it is likely that any Government headed by the Conservatives will have to face a possible election in 12 to 18 months time.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    As The Judge (?Nick) says, the situation is partially analogous to a US President from one party and a Congress from another. There are differences, however. We in the UK do not have a clear separation of executive and legislative branches of government. The executive is made up of members drawn exclusively from the legislature. This is, to some of us who want 'root and branch' transformation of our system, a barrier to genuine democracy over here.

I fear that we may see a reorganisation of our voting system without the radical transformation needed to return genuine power to Parliament for which our ancestors bled and died. I admit, as I said on our local radio interview, that I also believe that political parties and their multi-million pound war funds (interesting phrase they use) are real obstacles to democracy. In my own constituency, we had a hard-working, dedicated and effective MP. Over and over again, I have urged him to stand as an Independent but he maintained his loyalty to a Labour Party which no longer exists (thanks to Lord Blair of Abu Ghraib). He lost.

Fear not, however, dear ex-colonial friends: the work of government goes on as before. We have a Civil Service which would have been the envy of the Byzantine Empire - although some, I believe, are not even eunuchs.
    edited May 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    It is interesting that you have plenty of opinions about British politics and complaints about the Labour leader and yet you have never cast a vote.
    I didn't say I'd never cast a vote. I said I'm not eligible to vote this time, due to not being on the electoral register.
    I assume that is because you are unable to vote for some reason, otherwise it is difficult to understand.
    I've giben you my reason. But why should it exclude me from commenting if I feel like it?
    Simply because I haven't voted, doesn't mean I can't have, or should be without an opinion
    The ability to vote is a right that people have fought and died for. If you don't want it that's one thing, but to then complain about the results of an election is quite another!
    Oh spare me.
    we've had a vote in this country long since before wars were fought, so I don't undersatand your point there. And fortunately, because we live in a democracy, I'm permitted not only to have an opinion, but I can also air it.

Fede, please vote. even if the election is between a turd sandwich and a bucket of puke, surely you can find one of the two that is less of a problem. It is the involvement more than anything that makes the democratic principle work.
    And because I don't have my name on the electoral register, than that's why I couldn't vote.
    but even if I had been on it, I still wouldn't have voted for any of them.
    Why should I give people I have no faith in, and I believe are liars, cheats and fraudsters, my support?
    I don't agree with them, and I don't agree with their policies.
    I think they're all as bad as each other, and if I could vote, it would be with a vote of no confidence - !
    you vote if you want to. It's my right to abstain. And I have exercised that right.
    And in giving my opinions (which I have a right to do) I have explained why.
    edited May 2010
    Fede, even a vote of no confidence is a vote. The main thing, is that until you can legally vote, do something to influence the democratic process.

Simon, what about the House of Lords and the Reigning Monarch, do they not have some sort of influence or power when it comes to having a system of Checks and Balances?
  • edited May 2010
    Fede, thank you for your reply. I understand you better now and am not interested in arguing for its own sake. You have your point of view. I have mine.
    edited May 2010
    Fede, even a vote of no confidence is a vote. The main thing, is that until you can legally vote, do something to influence the democratic process.
    Indeed.
    Like....?
    Simon, what about the House of Lords and the Reigning Monarch, do they not have some sort of influence or power when it comes to having a system of Checks and Balances?

read here.

The Monarchy is by and large a decorative convention with few truly powerful roles to play in Government.

The House of Lords is...
    A forum of expertise, making laws and providing scrutiny of Government
    (From here)

Whilst there is no government, they can't actually 'scrutinise' anything.

One of the main topics of contention for Nick Clegg and the Lib. dem's, will be to seek reform of the electoral system.
    Something Labour might consider.
    Something the Conservatives may not be too keen on.
    edited May 2010
    Fede, thank you. I need to read through the info some more, but that was quite enlightening. It does seem that you brits have as much of a problem to fix as we americans do. Checks and balances is an important process in any sort of democratic society.
    edited May 2010
    Bushi,

First of all, there is no 'crisis' of any sort at the moment. Government continues. The Prime Minister and the ministers continue in office, the Civil Service continue to do their jobs. The agreed rules state that negotiations are carried out by the party leaders and their advisors to see if an arrangement can be reached which will result in a government with a majority. If no majority is achieved, it is most likely that David Cameron will be invited by the Palace (see below) to form a minority administration. He will then assume the office of Prime Minister and remain in office until either he loses a vote of confidence on the Queen's Speech or on the Budget, or he decides to call an election.

The role of the Palace is, for once, of some importance because this is one of the few privileges that remain. It is not the Queen as an individual who invites someone to form a government: it is a whole slew of advisors, men in suits and top civil servants. This is one of the times when we are reminded that we (as Brits) are 'subjects', not citizens. We may not like it but it is the fact and we have done nothing to change it. Indeed, unlike in the US, the Royal Prerogative to declare war does not need the permission of Parliament: it is devolved to the Prime Minister of the day.

A minority administration is not unknown here, although it is unusual and does not usually last very long. There have been five minority administrations and three coalition governments in the Twentieth Century.

My opinion is that, if we have a minority Conservative government, it might last longer than expected because it will have to take extremely unpopular measures to avoid a 'Greek' collapse of the economy. The other parties would do well to sit back and wait until the Conservatives lose all their gains in popularity. I have no doubt that the general mood is for change in both the voting system and the organisation of Parliament itself. The Conservatives are unlikely to deliver either.
    edited May 2010
    Simon, I mentioned no crisis per se, just that we Americans have a problem to fix. It has to do with the Judiciary. Federal Judges are appointed, and their appointment is for life. The SCOTUS also has the authority to dictate interpretation of the Constition of the US to us. Thus the Judiciary has become the most powerful branch of government with minimal checks upon it.

Thus with Parliament. If the Prime Minister were elected directly by the population, it would provide that there is a Prime minister, and the rest of Parliament could focus on reaching a consensus on national matters. As it is, now your government is tied up in some areas trying to form a coalition government or reach a consensus on a minority government.
    edited May 2010
    Simon, I mentioned no crisis per se, just that we Americans have a problem to fix. It has to do with the Judiciary. Federal Judges are appointed, and their appointment is for life. The SCOTUS also has the authority to dictate interpretation of the Constition of the US to us. Thus the Judiciary has become the most powerful branch of government with minimal checks upon it.

Thus with Parliament. If the Prime Minister were elected directly by the population, it would provide that there is a Prime minister, and the rest of Parliament could focus on reaching a consensus on national matters. As it is, now your government is tied up in some areas trying to form a coalition government or reach a consensus on a minority government.

Bushi,

You need to understand that we, in the UK, have a different approach to democracy from the US. We have refused a system of presidential executive and prefer a sovereign Parliament. Whilst some Prime Ministers (Thatcher and Blair, for example) have behaved in a semi-presidential manner, they failed to install it as the norm. We do not elect a first minister separately from the legislature, nor does there appear to be any will to do so.

There seems to me to be a general mood of approval for a Parliament which does not have an overwhelming majority of one group or other. The level of personal dishonesty whereby elected representatives enriched themselves at the taxpayers' expense horrified those who had closed their eyes to it for too long. I have no idea if your Representatives and Senators are models of financial probity - I seriously doubt it in any system where they are free to set their own pay and expenses. Over here, we have decided, as a nation, to teach Parliament that we will not put up with it any more.

A few days of discussion and uncertainty may reduce some of the arrogance and remind the 600-odd that their careers may go down as well as up. We are, and will remain, opposed to the presidential power model, particularly when we see how seriously it can go wrong. We appear to prefer our own way of going wrong LOL.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I'm sorry, but the image I get when I hear the words "hung Parliament" is totally different that what is being discussed here! In other words, something I shouldn't be thinking about!

Palzang
    edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the image I get when I hear the words "hung Parliament" is totally different that what is being discussed here! In other words, something I shouldn't be thinking about!

Palzang

I so agree, Palzang - and look at the 'chickens' now in power. they strut and boast about the size of the "man-dates"!
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I so agree, Palzang - and look at the 'chickens' now in power. they strut and boast about the size of the "man-dates"!
    By coincidence, I discovered yesterday that one of the Spanish words for chicken, "polla", also refers to that with which hangs from the male. And of course, parliamentarians use a gavel--un martillo!

So when las pollas grandes gather in el parlemento, do they ask each other "Como te cuelga el martillo?" (How's your hammer hanging?) And what are they doing when they "bang the gavel"?

But to get back to Palzang's comment, for some of us Americans the phrase "hung Parliament" brings up images of George Clinton and the rest of P-Funk in full regalia.

I have to stop. I'm having too much fun.
    edited May 2010
    you boys are so naughty... talk about triple entendres.....

Some say that cannot believe Clegg would come to an agreement with The Conservatives, because they are more left than centre, to The Tories' position to the right.... it would seem more logical that they would veer further left to form an alliance with the Labour party, which has hitherto been seen as a Left party...
    But let us not lose sight of the fact that the Labour we know today, is not the Labour of yesteryear.... they are "New Labour" and as such, far nearer centre than left, so perhaps it is no surprise that not only did Clegg swing to the right.... Labour did too.

So the question actually is:
    Is there actually any discernible difference between the parties, at all?:crazy:

(I've just re-read the above. It sounds like a cricket rule commentary. And I don't understand cricket rules, so maybe I'm getting the hang of both politics and cricket, now. Thy're both unfathomable!)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    ((LOL!))

Palzang
    edited May 2010
    Fede, I would have to say that the American equivalent of the Labour Party would be our Labor Unions. They've been moving more to the right lately as well, being that their job is to protect American jobs, especially those that pay a decent living wage. I've been feeling that terms like liberal and conservative are too restrictive. Someone who might favor strict gun control might also favor fewer labor laws allowing more jobs to be created. A definite liberal/conservative split here. What if what the Liberal Dems in Britain really mean they want to change the political structure around some to be more republican?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Although I voted, I agree with Fede.

It's all swings and roundabouts to me.
  • edited May 2010
    It is not swings and roundabouts to those who will lose their child tax credits or the winter fuel payment; nor is it to those areas who will not have their schools refurbished or rebuilt because the money is going to swedish style, parent run schools....
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Fran45, maybe I should re-iterate... "it's all swings and roundabouts to me"

Which ever government got into power there would be some who benefited, and there would be some who didn't. For those who benefit from one particular government I'm sure they'd fight hammer and nail to get that party elected. But for me (as in personal opinion, as in not universal, as in please don't get defencive) it's swings and roundabouts because which ever government got into power some would benefit and some not and my life wouldn't change.
    I'm not saying that this goes for everyone. I'm saying this goes for me. PLease understand that. I do understand that for some it's important. I NEVER said anything otherwise. Please calm down.

Nios.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm surpried that you feel that my post was emotional in anyway. I was simply stating a fact. You are right in some ways life improves, in others it becomes more difficult.
    With metta.
    edited May 2010
    That is the way of politics, that those who supported a party would reap the benefits. The nice thing about a coalition government is everyone has to work together here, or a single party will gain dominance again. I honestly wish the U. S. had a third party strong enough to keep Congress split. We would benefit greatly from the incessant pendulum swinging. It would also help to keep some laws from running amok, allowing us to find reasonable solutions to our problems.
  • edited May 2010
    Hung parliaments are quite normal in Australian states and territories and sometimes work quite well.

Western Australia (state) has a minority Liberal government supported by the Nationals.

Tasmania (state) has a minority Labor government supported by the Greens.

The Australian capital territory (territory) also has a minority Labor government supported by the Greens.

In Aussie politics The Liberal party is actually conservative :screwy: