Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No subject= no object

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited July 2010 in Philosophy
This issue is not news to folks who have been practicing for a while, but it seems worth while to talk about. I can't claim to speak for Zen or Buddhism in general, and have no qualification to do so (inka or whatever), but what the hell, this is the practice at the centre of my life so here it goes...

"True nature" "Buddha Mind" and so forth...... are not eternalism.
I know that there have been schools of Buddhism that say these terms refer to such an eternal entity, but I reject them as off the mark.

I believe that these terms were intended for people who were already familiar with the basics of the Four Noble Truths (please correct this if I'm wrong here). Today it is heard and read by people who are not familiar with the Dharma. Terms like "True Mind" are the inroduction for many people, and unfortunately it plays right into our Eternalistic assumptions. This is a problem for new folks. It can mislead......

There is no subject without an object, and there is no object without a subject.

It is like buying and selling, take away one and you take away both. They are two sides of one occasion.

What remains when both are removed? To invoke the Zen cliche " Say something and I hit you 30 times!, say nothing and I hit you 30 times!":viking:

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi Richard,

Interesting perspective. You Zennies are alright. :)

[insert sectarian rant here]

With Metta,

Guy
    <insert sectarian="" rant="" here=""></insert>
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This issue is not news to folks who have been practicing for a while, but it seems worth while to talk about. I can't claim to speak for Zen or Buddhism in general, and have no qualification to do so (inka or whatever), but what the hell, this is the practice at the centre of my life so here it goes...

"True nature" "Buddha Mind" and so forth...... are not eternalism.
    I know that there have been schools of Buddhism that say these terms refer to such an eternal entity, but I reject them as off the mark.

I believe that these terms were intended for people who were already familiar with the basics of the Four Noble Truths (please correct this if I'm wrong here). Today it is heard and read by people who are not familiar with the Dharma. Terms like "True Mind" are the inroduction for many people, and unfortunately it plays right into our Eternalistic assumptions. This is a problem for new folks. It can mislead......

There is no subject without an object, and there is no object without a subject.

It is like buying and selling, take away one and you take away both. They are two sides of one occasion.

What remains when both are removed? To invoke the Zen cliche " Say something and I hit you 30 times!, say nothing and I hit you 30 times!":viking:
    I answer your question by taking a drink from my cup of coffee. Regarding Buddha nature I have a question for you. Would not Buddhanature imply that we are all intrinsically good and if so, what of the problems that arise from taking this type of position? Just curious as to your thoughts regarding this question. All the best.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
    P.S. Like yourself I don't consider the nature of Buddha nature as eternalism
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I wonder if moving from God to True Mind as conceptualizations is like a tapering process as one begins to come to terms with reality... then Consciousness, then awareness, then maybe a direct present moment awareness? I see people try to stretch in many ways as they deal with their fears and whatnot.

What do you think? Have you seen this kind of pattern?
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    I wonder if moving from God to True Mind as conceptualizations is like a tapering process as one begins to come to terms with reality... then Consciousness, then awareness, then maybe a direct present moment awareness? I see people try to stretch in many ways as they deal with their fears and whatnot.

Your probably right. I think reality can smack people pretty hard.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Toss
  • edited May 2010
    They are analogous to a lamp and its light. With the lamp, there is light. Without it, it would be darkness. The lamp is the quintessence of the light and the light is the expression of the lamp. In name they are two things, but in substance they are one and the same. It is the same case with eternity and true mind etc.
  • edited May 2010
    Nihilism is incorrect because there is nothing which is destroyed, only changed. There is no death and no birth. There is no self. When we use these terms, we use them conventionally. When we speak of birth, we speak of the point where the aggregates form or the physical event of childbirth; yet even then, they form "from" something, and based on conditions.

Eternalism is incorrect because there is no permanence. All things arise and fall based on conditions; conditions that affect change (we call this karma) through Dependent Origination.

The truth, which you call "true mind", is that which exists after the delusion of self has been completely eradicated. The delusion of self still exists at least in part up to the point of Arahantship, or full enlightenment (Nirvana).

The true mind, the Buddha mind, is in complete harmony and accord with reality and undergoes no suffering born of ignorance. There will still be pain and other sensations of the body, but these will be seen with right view and do not constitute the "dukkha" that we are concerned with in Buddhism.
  • edited May 2010
    "emptiness is form, form is emptiness"

Maybe this will be of assistance...

What is emptiness then? To understand the philosophical meaning of this term, let's look at a simple solid object, such as a cup. How is a cup empty? We usually say that a cup is empty if it does not contain any liquid or solid. This is the ordinary meaning of emptiness. But, is the cup really empty? A cup empty of liquids or solids is still full of air. To be precise, we must therefore state what the cup is empty of. Can a cup be empty of all substance? A cup in a vacuum does not contain any air, but it still contains space, light, radiation, as well as its own substance. Hence, from a physical point of view, the cup is always full of something. Yet, from the Buddhist point of view, the cup is always empty. The Buddhist understanding of emptiness is different from the physical meaning. The cup being empty means that it is devoid of inherent existence.

It is part of a Dharma talk at....

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/emptiness.html
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    "emptiness is form, form is emptiness"

Maybe this will be of assistance...

What is emptiness then? To understand the philosophical meaning of this term, let's look at a simple solid object, such as a cup. How is a cup empty? We usually say that a cup is empty if it does not contain any liquid or solid. This is the ordinary meaning of emptiness. But, is the cup really empty? A cup empty of liquids or solids is still full of air. To be precise, we must therefore state what the cup is empty of. Can a cup be empty of all substance? A cup in a vacuum does not contain any air, but it still contains space, light, radiation, as well as its own substance. Hence, from a physical point of view, the cup is always full of something. Yet, from the Buddhist point of view, the cup is always empty. The Buddhist understanding of emptiness is different from the physical meaning. The cup being empty means that it is devoid of inherent existence.

It is part of a Dharma talk at....

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/emptiness.html

I'd just add that the Maha prajna Paramita Hridaya Sutra, is a practice sutra.
    edited May 2010
    I answer your question by taking a drink from my cup of coffee. Regarding Buddha nature I have a question for you. Would not Buddhanature imply that we are all intrinsically good and if so, what of the problems that arise from taking this type of position? Just curious as to your thoughts regarding this question. All the best.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
    P.S. Like yourself I don't consider the nature of Buddha nature as eternalism
    I don't know if we are intrinsically good. Only that when there is no little captain, bodymind and environment are a single gesture. So maybe that is good without the notion of goodness, a kind of situational action.
    edited May 2010

We want somewhere to hang our hat, even if it is an "empty" no-thing, not-eternal-no-thing. We grasp at straws. Having enough trust to rest into groundlessness seems to be the issue, we'll even make a ground out of "groundlessness".
  • edited May 2010

The process is probably unique, with unique conditions. However, I would take a moment to give a couple of my thoughts on "God" just to see what's what. There are two ways I can see that God exists. Firstly is as an infinite entity that somehow set forth the universe, though the universe continues on in such and such a fashion. If there was a design, and a final outcome, He was one hell of a programmer. In this way, all things would be God's will or at least of God's karma, though it would not be a matter of direct intervention in our lives; it would only be setting Dependent Origination in motion and the other physical properties of existent matter/energy.

That is not too likely.

The second way is that "God" is the universe itself, consisting of all karma at all moments. The universe is alive, literally, and so it could be said that this life is God. Parts of the universe waking up to reality may have come to the conclusion that there is an entity called God that created, as opposed to "is" it. In this case, we would all be a part of the body of God. If God is a sentient form of life, part of God's mind-body complex. Freaky, but hey, a lot of things are.

Those are a couple of thoughts, anyway. Though I've never believed in God, I keep my mind open and I see nothing wrong with such a belief. It is not a hindrance, but more along the lines of personal flavor. Taste for that flavor of self may lessen or disappear in time, or it may not.
  • edited May 2010
    I'd just add that the Maha prajna Paramita Hridaya Sutra, is a practice sutra.

Hi Richard,
    Could you explain the different "types" of sutras.? I am not familiar with the distinctions. You mentioned that the Maha prajna Paramita Hridaya Sutra, is a practice sutra....and (is/how is) this somehow not relevant to the original post?

Dennis

edited May 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    Hi Richard,
    Could you explain the different "types" of sutras.? I am not familiar with the distinctions. You mentioned that the Maha prajna Paramita Hridaya Sutra, is a practice sutra....and (is/how is) this somehow not relevant to the original post?

Dennis

There is no distinction. I was just adding to what you said in the context of the OP, which is pointing at practice. The Heart Sutra is subject to more speculation than any other it seems. Form is Emptiness, Emptiness is Form is experiential. Thats all, it wasn't finding fault with your post.
    edited May 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    The process is probably unique, with unique conditions. However, I would take a moment to give a couple of my thoughts on "God" just to see what's what. There are two ways I can see that God exists. Firstly is as an infinite entity that somehow set forth the universe, though the universe continues on in such and such a fashion. If there was a design, and a final outcome, He was one hell of a programmer. In this way, all things would be God's will or at least of God's karma, though it would not be a matter of direct intervention in our lives; it would only be setting Dependent Origination in motion and the other physical properties of existent matter/energy.

That is not too likely.

The second way is that "God" is the universe itself, consisting of all karma at all moments. The universe is alive, literally, and so it could be said that this life is God. Parts of the universe waking up to reality may have come to the conclusion that there is an entity called God that created, as opposed to "is" it. In this case, we would all be a part of the body of God. If God is a sentient form of life, part of God's mind-body complex. Freaky, but hey, a lot of things are.

Those are a couple of thoughts, anyway. Though I've never believed in God, I keep my mind open and I see nothing wrong with such a belief. It is not a hindrance, but more along the lines of personal flavor. Taste for that flavor of self may lessen or disappear in time, or it may not.

Its a matter of opinion for sure, but I would disagree about eternalistic concepts not being a hinderance. Having started off in Advaita Vedanta, the key issue which led to Buddha Dharma was the problem of an unchanging "true subject" . So much time was spent emptying "Mind" to reveal greater and greater purity, this perfect absence that is perfect fullness, this pure spacious beingness, is-ness, and so forth.

Yet really , the whole thing was about wanting something, anything, to hold. God, I , true mind, all such notions of an unchanging experiencer are about not letting go. That has been my experience.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    The process is probably unique, with unique conditions. However, I would take a moment to give a couple of my thoughts on "God" just to see what's what.

I'm not sure "what's what" means. There is certainly a lot more to the concept of 'God' than the attributions you make. God is a pretty common archetype in many religions.

In terms of subjective relating, I can hear what you're pointing at, and I agree on both counts. The idea of a little man on a throne doing magic tricks with creation is unlikely. That there is an intelligence behind the harmony of the universe seems a personal flavor... meaning of course a personal attribution, projection or whatnot.

I was speaking of the transition of clinging to different concepts as awareness or clarity deepens.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    There is no distinction. I was just adding to what you said in the context of the OP, which is pointing at practice. The Heart Sutra is subject to more speculation than any other it seems. Form is Emptiness, Emptiness is Form is experiential. Thats all, it wasn't finding fault with your post.

No, I was not at all offended.... i understand now. I thought there really might be different categories of sutras. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    There is a sutra where the buddha asks if a blind man can see. His answer (later) is yes. The blind man sees darkness. This is how sight is always there even when no sense organ even. I can try to find it but I'll have to track my trails ;) Surangama sutra.
    edited May 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    There is a sutra where the buddha asks if a blind man can see. His answer (later) is yes. The blind man sees darkness. This is how sight is always there even when no sense organ even. I can try to find it but I'll have to track my trails ;)

Actually if he was blind from birth he would not have darkness as an object. But that is beside the point, the subject and object referred to in the Op includes subtle objects, not that darkeness is subtle.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Well I recommend the sutra in any case..
    Since time is made up by man then you can't really ask about the origin of things or when things existed, but you can ask how things all started from or where does things comes from.
    in the surangama sutra the tathagatha ask where things comes from to learn about how things existed to come to understand why things are impermanent and to tell the difference between permanent things and impermanent things.
    the idea is whichever is impermanent belongs to illusion and has no basis in reality and whichever is permanent belongs to your true nature which is unchanging and eternal.
    he ask where does the mind come from and where is it's location, where does touch came from, where does fire came from ect... and so on.........................and he thouroghly go through each questions so that his desciples would be able to understand it.
    by asking these questions one can come to a more full understanding what life really is.
    it is best if you read the sutra yourself.

Thats how I was told when I had a similar question :D And I only actually skimmed it because it was a little advanced for me, but it encouraged me in my own studies to see that buddha had given answers. It was hard to understand.
    edited May 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Thats how I was told when I had a similar question.
    I didnt ask a question.

"the idea is whichever is impermanent belongs to illusion and has no basis in reality and whichever is permanent belongs to your true nature which is unchanging and eternal."

No.

The OP rejects "Mind only" Buddhism. It does not demand you do.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I answer your question by taking a drink from my cup of coffee.
    :coffee:
    edited May 2010
    Oh that question. Methinkst Jeffery saw a question.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thats a good point you never asked a question. I think I had an understood question where you stated what you saw and asked what others thought. I apologize I guess I was trying to one up you.
    edited May 2010

edited May 2010
    I'm no teacher, and this is no koan. Put your shoes on your head and walk out the door for someone else.

I think the confusion here is that this....

"What remains when both are removed? To invoke the Zen cliche " Say something and I hit you 30 times!, say nothing and I hit you 30 times!"

is a statement consisting of a question/response. The OP was a statement. Sorry for the confusion
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    well seing as there is no object to this subject I say good day to you too ;)
    edited May 2010
    oh gawd ..:lol:
    edited May 2010
    I'm no teacher, and this is no koan. Put your shoes on your head and walk out the door for someone else.

I think the confusion here is that this....

"What remains when both are removed? To invoke the Zen cliche " Say something and I hit you 30 times!, say nothing and I hit you 30 times!"

is a statement consisting of a question/response. The OP was a statement. Sorry for the confusion
    Well In that case I will continue to drink my coffee.
    :coffee:
    Yours in the Dharma,:)
    Todd
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2010
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    *stretch*
    Well, finally some room opened up around here.

*tap dances*
  • edited May 2010
    sobuject........
    there's nothing else?
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    They are analogous to a lamp and its light. With the lamp, there is light. Without it, it would be darkness. The lamp is the quintessence of the light and the light is the expression of the lamp. In name they are two things, but in substance they are one and the same. It is the same case with eternity and true mind etc.

the frame = the subjective wisdom
    the candle/fuel = the objective reality

they are two but not two / non-duality

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • edited July 2010
    I believe that your questions are focused toward the "third" or "mantra" collections of teaching, as for tibetians try Maitreya, or similar comentaries. Zen tradition Dogen as interpreted through Bodhidharma. Ultimate is what Dogen says " the mirror is free of dust" shakamuni says " alas, all sentient beings are without flaw, they are buddha nature".
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    What remains when both are removed?

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich, on whole wheat bread...and a glass of orange juice.
    edited July 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    A peanut butter and jelly sandwich, on whole wheat bread...and a glass of orange juice.

This laptop on a big book on my knees, the fan in the window, the sound of my kid's bath running, an astringent feeling in the mouth from that espresso, this old comfortable green T shirt with the holes, that mosquito bite on my calf, a vague concern about the week ahead..unformed..not too heavy, online by habit.
    edited July 2010
    This laptop on a big book on my knees, the fan in the window, the sound of my kid's bath running, an astringent feeling in the mouth from that espresso, this old comfortable green T shirt with the holes, that mosquito bite on my calf, a vague concern about the week ahead..unformed..not too heavy, online by habit.

Experiences, pure and simple.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2010

to begin with is there a subject?
    is there an object?
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Interesting subject... reminds me of Kalaka Sutta:

AN 4.24 PTS: A ii 23

Kalaka Sutta: At Kalaka's Park
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 2002–2010
    <!-- robots content="none" -->
    <!-- #H_meta --> <!-- #H_billboard --> <!-- /robots --> On one occasion the Blessed One was staying in Saketa at Kalaka's park. There he addressed the monks: "Monks!"
    "Yes, lord," the monks responded.
    The Blessed One said: "Monks, whatever in the cosmos — with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, its generations with their contemplatives & priests royalty & common people — is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, pondered by the intellect: That do I know. Whatever in the cosmos — with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, its generations with their contemplatives & priests, their royalty & common people — is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, pondered by the intellect: That I directly know. That has been realized by the Tathagata, but in the Tathagata[1] it has not been established.[2]
    "If I were to say, 'I don't know whatever in the cosmos... is seen, heard, sensed, cognized... pondered by the intellect,' that would be a falsehood in me. If I were to say, 'I both know and don't know whatever in the cosmos... is seen, heard, sensed, cognized... pondered by the intellect,' that would be just the same. If I were to say, 'I neither know nor don't know whatever in the cosmos... is seen, heard, sensed, cognized... pondered by the intellect,' that would be a fault in me.
    "Thus, monks, the Tathagata, when seeing what is to be seen, doesn't construe an [object as] seen. He doesn't construe an unseen. He doesn't construe an [object] to-be-seen. He doesn't construe a seer.
    "When hearing...
    "When sensing...
    "When cognizing what is to be cognized, he doesn't construe an [object as] cognized. He doesn't construe an uncognized. He doesn't construe an [object] to-be-cognized. He doesn't construe a cognizer.
    Thus, monks, the Tathagata — being the same with regard to all phenomena that can be seen, heard, sensed, & cognized — is 'Such.' And I tell you: There's no other 'Such' higher or more sublime.
    "Whatever is seen or heard or sensed and fastened onto as true by others, One who is Such — among the self-fettered — wouldn't further claim to be true or even false. "Having seen well in advance that arrow where generations are fastened & hung — 'I know, I see, that's just how it is!' — there's nothing of the Tathagata fastened."

Notes

<dl><dt>1.</dt><dd>Reading tathagate with the Thai edition.</dd><dt>2.</dt><dd>I.e., the Tathagata hasn't taken a stance on it. </dd></dl>
    See also: MN 2; MN 58; MN 63; MN 72; AN 10.93; AN 10.94; AN 10.95; AN 10.96; Ud 1.10; Ud 8.1.
    edited July 2010
    Staying at Savatthi. Then a brahman cosmologist [1] went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One, "Now, then, Master Gotama, does everything [2] exist?"

"'Everything exists' is the senior form of cosmology, brahman."

"Then, Master Gotama, does everything not exist?"

"'Everything does not exist' is the second form of cosmology, brahman."

"Then is everything a Oneness?"

"'Everything is a Oneness' is the third form of cosmology, brahman."

"Then is everything a Manyness?"

"'Everything is a Manyness' is the fourth form of cosmology, brahman. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle: From ignorance as a requisite condition .......

Lokayatika Sutta: The Cosmologist

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.048.than.html