Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Last Airbender

BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
edited August 2010 in Arts & Writings
I can't remember if it was this site or another Buddhist forum, but someone recommended Avatar:The Last Airbender as a good Buddhist themed show. I just finished watching the series and it's amazing. It doesn't beat you over the head with religion or philosophy, but it's all there. It's sort of like the Buddhist version of the Chronicles of Narnia, in a way.

The major motion picture The Last Airbender is coming out soon and I'll definitely be there opening weekend.

Anyone else seen this show? Interested to see the movie?

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    It was here, and yes, quite excited to go see it. :)
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited May 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    It was here, and yes, quite excited to go see it. :)

Thanks, it was driving me nuts. Memory is not so good sometimes. :D
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I love that show and I am excited to see it. It does have some Buddhist themes in it. Also, all of the different bending styles are based on actual martial art styles.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It does look like something I might actually go and see (which I can't say about many movies of late), despite the usual fatal overdose of special effects that were evident in the trailer.

Palzang
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I haven't seen it yet but am actually quite interested in seeing it, but on the topic of movies... I saw 2012 not that long ago and it was neat that only 2 weeks prior on my own Taoist/Buddhist/just about anything openminded discussion board (of which has only 3 members lol) we had just discussed the Zen Koan of the "A cup of Tea", and in the movie didn't Lama Rinpoche teach this very lesson to a young monk... It was cool to see it in a movie just after discussing it...
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    I haven't seen it yet but am actually quite interested in seeing it, but on the topic of movies... I saw 2012 not that long ago and it was neat that only 2 weeks prior on my own Taoist/Buddhist/just about anything openminded discussion board (of which has only 3 members lol) we had just discussed the Zen Koan of the "A cup of Tea", and in the movie didn't Lama Rinpoche teach this very lesson to a young monk... It was cool to see it in a movie just after discussing it...
    That was the only cool scene in the whole movie. :p The rest of it was waaay over the top and dramatic. The Lama was cool, the earth was ending and he just continued doing his thing.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
    To the original OP, my boys (4 & 6 years) love Avatar, I like it too. Will definitely see the movie.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    Taoist/Buddhist/just about anything openminded discussion board (of which has only 3 members lol)

what's your board called?
  • edited August 2010
    I love all three series of The last Airbender, it really is great :)
    edited August 2010
    He's obviously not the last one then ;)

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    really if you think about it, you can find buddhist teachings in tons of shows. last air bender just tends to make them more present. :) loved the movie
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    what's your board called?

Hey Jelly Bean.. Its simply called "My Sangha"

If you want to have a peek:

www.mysangha.proboards.com

You can log in as: Guest (use the password: 12345)

If you want to join just log out and register... use your first name as your username and display name... we're all on a first name basis...

Things are kinda slow right now... With my separation and limited internet access and subsequent lack of focus but their's a couple hundred posts to add your views to... Its not just Buddhism but covers Taoism and Trans-denominations as well... Any spiritual path can be added for discussion... feel free to start a board or PM me and ask me to add it if you can't figure out how...

with metta

-Johnathan
    edited August 2010
    Thanks Johnathan, I'll introduce myself now on MySangha :)
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I don't know about others, but the movie was a disappointment for me, especially after being such a big fan of the tv show.

But the good news is the creators of the animated series have decided to make another season. This one is set 75 years in the future, with the next avatar (a female waterbender). Since Aang was the last airbender, the new avatar has to learn airbending from Aang's son. Looks great. It's supposed to be out next year sometime.
  • edited August 2010
    I gotta watch me some of this! Heck yeah - Buddhist, martial arts, and manipulation of reality! :eek: :D

Though - they don't teach you any of that cool stuff in my martial arts class :grumble:
  • edited August 2010
    Since Aang was the last airbender, the new avatar has to learn airbending from Aang's son. Looks great. It's supposed to be out next year sometime.

I am a HUGE Avatar fan!! HAve seen every episode, and although the film is not true to the cartoon, i enjoyed watching it just as much.

Kayme....OMG :eek: HE HAS A SON!? Why Haven't i heard of this new season? EEK!