Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do I do at a temple in Japan?

edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone. I'm new. I have been studying Buddhism for years and would like to consider myself Buddhist. I have never done anything "official" to launch myself on the path. I read, I meditate, I try to be self-less and good. But I would like to do something that feels like I am furthering my commitment as Christians do when they are baptised or confirmed. I am visiting 3 different Buddhist temples in Japan this month. Is there some sort of activity or gesture I could engage in or be a part of that would fill this need. Perhaps getting a Monks blessing or chanting sutras with them or simply meditating or praying at the alter? Sorry in advance for this question being perhaps off-mark.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    My suggestion is to make sure they know you don't know what to do and would like guidance. :) My experience has been that monks are very laid back and wait for you to express interest and mindfulness before giving advice. Watch what everyone else is doing and try to keep up.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks, good advice
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I would suggest you start at a Zen centre in your own area (the U.S). This is because you will be engaging with experienced practitioners who speak from the same cultural context as you. This makes a big difference because people starting out in Zen often have to pass through a veil of cultural Zen romanticism, before getting down to the real practice.