Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions for a college course

I have 10 questions that I need to ask someone who is a non-Christian. Would anyone on this forum like to volunteer to answer them? They are listed below.

1. In your view, what is responsible for the existence of the universe?
2.Where did the world come from? How did it come into being?
3.What is a human being?
4.What happens to a human being when he or she dies?
5.How can we be sure that we have any true knowledge?
6.How do you determine what is right and wrong?
7.Does history have any purpose or theme? How does life have any significance?
8.What are the pros and cons of your view?
9.Do you have problems with the Christian view of reality?
10.What do you appreciate about the Christian view of reality?

I cannot simple put down what I think someone on this site would say, I actually need someone to respond. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Thank you.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Wouldn't happen to be a Christian college would it? :p

11. Why do you hate Jesus?

:lol:
  • edited May 2010
    People write entire books on some of these topics. Are they really questions that can be answered in a couple of sentences on a discussion forum? :-/
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010

We don't consider this to be an important question, as it's unanswerable.

see above.

3.What is a human being?
    A composite of 5 skandas.

The physical body either decays and rots away as worm fodder, or if cremation takes place, we end up as powder.

We can be sure we have knowledge insofar as we understand what knowledge is. It depends how you define it really, huh?

If I feel a bad feeling in my gut - it's wrong.
    If I feel a good feeling generally all over, it's right.

That's two completely separate questions.
    Probably.
    Maybe.

The pro's are that they really, really work for me.
    The cons are that I don't always live by them.

well, there are so many Christians, and so many views, that I have a hard time getting them to tell me what they are.

I appreciate that it's their right to see it this way, and I hope it makes them happy.

I cannot simple put down what I think someone on this site would say, I actually need someone to respond. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.
    Well, it just took a few moments.... others may answer differently.

Thank you.
    You're welcome.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Nature.
    Nature. Various forces & impact following the law of cause & effect.
    3.What is a human being?
    In Buddhism, the word is manusaya, which means 'high minded'. A human being is defined by having a mind with conscience & concern; with reflective reasoning.
    When a human being dies, they remain the memory of other human beings.
    True knowledge is something confirmed or verified. For example, the Buddha taught at least four things are true knowledge, namely:

1. All things arise from a cause.

2. When human beings suffer, this is due to attachment & ignorant craving. When human beings are free from suffering, this is due to being free from attachment & ignorant craving.

3. All conditioned things are impermanent.

4. All conditioned things cannot be owned or possessed. They are "not-self". They are & belong to nature.
    If it harms & causes suffering, it is wrong.

It it does not harm & does not cause suffering, it is right.
    Sure. In this life, we can gain enlightenment & help other human beings gain enlightenment. Enlightenment is true knowledge that results in the minds of human beings being free from suffering.
    No cons. All pros.
    Generally, no problems really. If it can bring happiness to some people, it is good. But it has no relevence to my life.

Only problems is the common Christian missionary agenda & fundamentalism. Both Islam & Christianity share this problem. They think all human beings must follow their beliefs. They think their beliefs are true knowledge rather than being merely beliefs.

Just as our world has many kinds of living creatures and many kinds of human beings, it has many kind of different beliefs.

Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, etc, are just sets of beliefs. None of these can ever be true knowledge for each & every human being.

If Islam & Christianity can stop their wars, this would help humanity enormously.

When Jesus said: "I am the only way to the Father", this was true because it is the way to the "Father".

But not all human beings are interested in the way to the Father just like not all humans beings are interest in travelling to Alaska.

For example, Buddhists are interested in the way to perfect peace (Nirvana/Nibbana).

So Christianity has one problem, which is fundamentalism. To have a more democratic outlook is better.
    What is practically useful in those teachings was already previously taught by the Buddha. For example, teachings of non-violence, charity, love, etc, are all found in abundance & perfect explanation in Buddhism.

:)
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    you are.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/wheel277.html
    3.What is a human being?
    form, feeling, reaction, perception, consciousness
    i'm not dead yet
    true knowledge is non-dualistic .
    it's a matter of strategy not metaphysics.
    coming out of suffering, in all it's forms
    no fixed views beyond that actions have consequence.
    Gnosis has No Rules, No Dogmas and No Beliefs
    whatever works...
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you for all who have replied thoughtfully. This was not intended to cause a problem. I don't intend to debate anyone on their beliefs. I just wanted some honest answers.

Thank you again for your time.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010

Everything is caused. Including God if he exists. If God were to exist his role as a father, loving, creator are all dependently arisen with creation. Before creation God is none of those things and is unknown.

There is a zen koan (riddle of instruction): what is your face before you are born? I think for a christian given that we are in God's image I think it could be: Who is God before creation?

Everything is caused. So no first cause. Even God.

3.What is a human being?

Sentient intelligent population of earth. In buddhism human means that you can understand the dharma and have enough suffering that you have motivation to practice and escape the desire realm. So there could be blue humans with wings in space if they had those qualities.

I don't personally know. But Tibetan buddhism teaches that they are reborn. Could be hell being, human, demon, hungry ghost, deva, animal, form realm, or formless realm.

At death its believed you see the clear light which is the truth of reality I gather. But most people pass out and then are reborn. If you see the truth and understand it you can be a buddha in which case you tirelessly become reborn to help sentient beings.

No true knowledge is graspable. We can't freeze reality to fit a conceptual truth. The mind is clear open and sensitive. By aligning with these qualities we can recognize the truth just as when an object is brought before a mirror the mirror reflects the object.

By your deepest wishes. Explore your wishes and the why's for those wishes. At the bottom could be something like wish to be happy. Wisdom tells you how to accomplish right and wrong. Just trying to be happy doesn't succeed without wisdom right?

We have a sensitive nature. A cup of tea has significance. A meeting with another person has significance. 'history' is too broad a generalization and I suspect usually people are caught up in an idea and clinging to it when they have a strong feeling what 'history' is about. For me history is about survival on one hand and wishing to be happy or progress on the other.

Which view? All views cause suffering when you cling to them. The heart energy needs to move. A gap needs to exist where no view is there. So that you can recognize the truth like a mirror. In communication we need this gap so we don't jump to conclusions about what others have said. And we don't jump to conclusions about what we think. Instead a sensitive response bubbles up or else we just let there be a gap until it does.

I am not responsible for anyone else's view of reality unless they ask me or unless we are sharing in a non-threatening way that we mutually agree on. Likewise they are not responsible for my view. I hope Christians find great happiness.

I find it wise to accept God's will. Because you cannot control the universe much less your own thoughts and feelings. Humbling.
  • edited May 2010
    In Buddhism, there is neither buddhist nor christian.
    In fact, the above may have already shed some light on harmony in this regads.
    Shurangama sutra is a very enlightening sutra specifically on wisdom that provided all answers to the above questions. Buddhist and Christian are akin to the nationality of chinese and american where its nature is human :)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I have 10 questions that I need to ask someone who is a non-Christian.

3.What is a human being?

provide all facilities to develop the students WISDOM
    they will find the right answers to all the 10 questions
  • edited May 2010

The way the question is asked begs the question. It demands that something be responsible for the existence of the Universe which makes it a rigged question.

If you want to know what came before our Big Bang singularity point (aka Hubblesphere), then most cosmologists and my own reasoning suggests that our universe is just one amongst many bubble universes like our own.

(I know this isnt necessarily a Buddhist concept, just my own view. Though, isnt the term universe referred to in the plural in Buddhist scriptures?

Technically, the word "Universe" means "everything that exists." To ask where it came from and how it came into being is to contradict the meaning of the Universe as everything as a whole.

3.What is a human being?

One of the more evolved species of the animal kingdom. All beings are composed of the 6 aggregates (5 senses plus consciousness). No beings are a permanent self.

There is no death. Your true self is all of existence which never dies.

This is an epistemological question that doesn't necessarily concern religion, though the Buddhist theory of epistemology is that no words and no concepts can accurately describe reality.

Buddha taught the Golden Rule. If you wouldn't want it done to yourself, it would be "wrong" or unskillful to do it to others. Dalai Lama said to do what you can to help others, but if that's too much to ask, at least don't hurt them.

7.Does history have any purpose or theme?

There is no past or future, only the now.

How does life have any significance?

It doesnt. All existence is empty.

Buddha had reached supreme Enlightenment and his Enlightened teachings (Buddha Dharma) have been preserved and taught to us through Buddhism. The teachings are a highly advanced and profound form of philosophy, or rather the ultimate philosophy.

The Cons are the paradoxes that arise that may confuse others, but these are also seen as its strenghts because it doesn't get trapped in duality and transcends contradictions.

Accept this meek and mild savior as your God and if you don't like it, you can burn in hell for eternity. The concept of vicarious redemption. Dying on a cross cannot forgive the sins of the unborn and the unborn should not be born guilty and carry a burden.

It gives me something to debate about. If everyone agreed on one philosophy, the world would be boring. I hold my philosophies with conviction and they hold theirs with conviction and im glad they are there to provide contrasting views and im glad it makes them happy. Though i will still respectfully debate them til death. :)

No problem. Thanks for asking.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I have 10 questions that I need to ask someone who is a non-Christian. Would anyone on this forum like to volunteer to answer them? They are listed below.

I don't know.

I don't know.

3.What is a human being?
    homo sapiens, an exploitive and manipulative mammal who is nonetheless capable of as much compassion and community as dolphins and whales, even if they don't cultivate that potential.

I don't know.

You can only truly know that which you have experienced first hand ... but you need to be careful when you try to interpret what that experience means because there are often so many confounding factors.

6.How do you determine what is right and wrong? If it hurts another being it is wrong ... and you always know in your heart if your actions are hurting another.

7.Does history have any purpose or theme?
    The theme is that history repeats itself ... human nature has not changed much over the past several thousand years.

How does life have any significance? We give life significance when we invest our heart, whether it is caring for family, caring for strangers, personal growth, efforts towards enlightenment. My Buddhism practice is part of my daily life.

Pros: I am a better person, kinder, more generous. I create smiles and good feelings in others. My compassion extends to myself as well. I am emotionally stable and have found a happiness that is not dependent on external circumstances. I do not drink and I found it easy to quit smoking cold-turkey. I am a better employee, and a better contributor to society as a whole.
    Cons: My partner gets angry with me when I won't lie to make more money.

- It promotes an external locus of control, which is not psychologically healthy.
    - It promotes narrow-mindedness, smugness, a victim-mentality, and in some sects, it promotes self-hatred and fear. This is not psychologically healthy, either.
    - It fails to challenge people to be their best, excusing all sorts of excesses and cruelties. Christians do not behave as if they think they are accountable for their behavior or for their choices. This is not sociologically healthy.
    - The words of Christ seem to have been bent to the will of man to make Christianity more palatable to people ... they can be materialistic, grasping, rude, selfish, etc ... and still consider themselves "good" Christians. I think that if Christians had to actually follow the words of Jesus, rather than the interpretations of the churches, there would be very few Christians.
    - In all fairness, Christianity does try to promote the idea of "compassion" (as long as it doesn't really cost much to the giver) ... but unlike Buddhism, Christianity doesn't provide actual tools for developing compassion.

Nothing. And look at how the U.S., a self-proclaimed "Christian" nation, terrorizes the world and leads the way in materialistic self-grasping. By their fruits ...

Thank you.