Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

sitting in forest

mettafoumettafou Veteran
edited May 2010 in General Banter
want to go into forest in a few months and live there for as long as i can and sit and do yoga and training. any suggestions, survival skills or strategies? have you done this?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Check out Henry Thoreau's "Walden". He was a philosopher that did this (mind you, 160 years ago) and did some meditation / mindfulness while he was at it. If you live in a forest, keep in mind someone "owns" this land, as ridiculous as that idea is, so sort something out with them. For food it depends on climate. What are your intentions of doing this? You'll also need to be ready for solitude, as many do this and have a 'shock' from the difference in the social climate.

Perhaps check out hermitages, specifically groups of Buddhists that live in middle of the woods. This is a bit more feasible than doing it yourself. Where do you live? Arrow River looks great (Ontario, Canada) and I've seen it recommended on this forum before. They practice in the Theravadin tradition.
  • edited May 2010
    I used to back pack a lot when I was younger for weeks at a time alone. There is absolutely nothing better than the solitude of the forest. Once you come back it is really strange vocalizing again after being completely silent for a few weeks.

Freeze dried food is light enough for you to bring a couple of weeks supply. Just add water and you've got a meal. They really aren't that bad. Water purification tablets, a knife large enough to make kindling for a fire, matches in a waterproof container, some small bits of wax or votive candles to help get a fire started when the wood is wet, first aid kit, lightweight back pack, and a sleeping bag. Depending on the time of year bring a lightweight jacket, long and short pants and long and short sleeve shirts. Hang the pack with your food in a tree every night. Little critters like chipmunks will chew through your pack and eat your rations while you are asleep. I learned that the hard way. It's tough to be forgiving of the little critters when you're hungry and the nearest civilization is 4 days of hard hiking away.

A couple of large garbage bags to wrap your pack, spare clothes and sleeping bag for rain protection. You can bring a poncho to help keep you dry. I just cut a hole for my head and arms in one of the garbage bags and used it. It does keep you somewhat dry.

If you're going to stay in one place you may want to build a lean to or just bring a small tent. Dig a small trench a couple of inches deep around your shelter. It will help keep the water runoff from going into your shelter. Pine needles make a great bedding material for under your bag.

Good luck. Wish I could do that again.
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    thanks for your help and time. my intentions are good. any food suggestions in relation to seasons? freeze dried sounds good (expensive too). was thinking nuts and goji berries from a chinese market. i'm in california. need to get away from teachers and meditate on my own. Vm says buddha taught forests are the best for delusional people. i have some purgation and intention to clarify before i go back to monasteries... any other suggestions or experience would be appreciated. on gear for those interested: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=795