Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

May all beings be happy

edited May 2010 in Philosophy
(Copied from http://www.visiblemantra.org/sabbesatta.html)

This chant in Pāli - sabbe sattā sukhi hontu - is chanted by Theravadin Buddhists, but is also more widely popular. It means "may all beings be happy". It is an expression of the universal compassion that Buddhists aspire to. See also sabbe satta in formal siddhaṃ and a variety of other scripts (Tibetan, Devanāgarī, Sinhala)
sabbesatta.gif
Transliteration

sa bbe sa ttā su khi hoṃ tu
sabbe sattā sukhi hontu

Notes

see also May all beings be happy which has a plain version of this phrase.
In this script a nasal which preceeds a consonant is written as a anusvāra on the preceeding vowel: so we write hoṃ tu, rather than ho ntu. This makes for a tidier and more efficient hand. When the anusvāra preceeds a consonant, one assumes that it is the nasal which is the same articulation: so aṃka would be aṅka, and aṃṭa = aṇṭa, aṃca = añca.
Sectarian Buddhists who still use terms like hīnayāna or maintain that Theravadin Buddhists are not interested in benefitting all beings should reflect on this phrase which is quintessentially Theravadin.

Comments

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    sambodhi wrote: »
    (Copied from http://www.visiblemantra.org/sabbesatta.html)

This chant in Pāli - sabbe sattā sukhi hontu - is chanted by Theravadin Buddhists, but is also more widely popular. It means "may all beings be happy". It is an expression of the universal compassion that Buddhists aspire to. See also sabbe satta in formal siddhaṃ and a variety of other scripts (Tibetan, Devanāgarī, Sinhala)
    sabbesatta.gif
    Transliteration

sa bbe sa ttā su khi hoṃ tu
    sabbe sattā sukhi hontu

Notes

see also May all beings be happy which has a plain version of this phrase.
    In this script a nasal which preceeds a consonant is written as a anusvāra on the preceeding vowel: so we write hoṃ tu, rather than ho ntu. This makes for a tidier and more efficient hand. When the anusvāra preceeds a consonant, one assumes that it is the nasal which is the same articulation: so aṃka would be aṅka, and aṃṭa = aṇṭa, aṃca = añca.
    Sectarian Buddhists who still use terms like hīnayāna or maintain that Theravadin Buddhists are not interested in benefitting all beings should reflect on this phrase which is quintessentially Theravadin.

THAMKS federica

with reespeect,
    Uppekkah!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    THAMKS federica

Lol poor Sambodhi. :lol:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    :lol:
  • edited May 2010
    What does that mean?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    It seems upekka mistook your signature (a quotation from me) as your identity.
    Upekka thinks you're Federica.....

So You have both Deshi's and valtiel's sympathy, because apparently it may seem that being me is not something anybody would wish for.

I can see their point.
    Sometimes, being me is not an advantage........:D
  • edited May 2010
    man that is a cool avatar sambodhi it's like a super psychedelic kaleidescope stained glass window
  • edited May 2010
    man that is a cool avatar sambodhi it's like a super psychedelic kaleidescope stained glass window
    Exactly. :)
  • edited May 2010
    5402434.jpg
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I weigh about 95 kilos and stand 1.78 m tall. Would you say I am a well built buddhist?

Sorry I could not resist the temptation.
    /Victor
  • edited May 2010
    or...

Don%27t_worry,_be_happy.jpg

sorry, i'm a little punchy this evening.