Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why is it that Jews dont believe Jesus has come yet?

edited November 2006 in Faith & Religion
Why do Christians believe Jesus has already come and Jews think that he has not yet come?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    NirvanaNoob, questioner,

Jews know that Jesus came and preached. They simply don't accept that he was a promised Messiah (or 'Christ' from the Greek). Muslims see Jesus as a prophet of God. Both reject the notion that he was "Son of God", particularly because they can't get their heads round the strange Christian assertion that they (the Xtians) are still monotheists when they appear to worship three gods.
  • edited September 2005
    wow thats weird I always understood the concept of the trinity
  • edited September 2005
    Its truly amazing. Not only what you said, but that I don't have a question on that. I have a friend who is a jew and she is one of the most intersting person I have ever meet.

Plus its not like Jews can say that Jeasus didn't exist because there are accounts and proof that he did exist.
    edited September 2005
    Jen,

There are many, well-read and qualified people who have serious doubts about the historicity of the Jesus of the gospels.
  • edited September 2005
    They do have the right to think what they want I guess. Oh well...
  • edited September 2005
    Other than written word (New Testament), I know of no secular evidence of the existence of Jesus.

Anyway, Jews don't believe Jesus could be the son of God because they don't believe that God can be divided into parts like the trinity suggests. I know there are other reasons but that is just what I have read.
    edited September 2005
    I still, occasionally, use the term Christian to describe some of my spiritual opinions. They are based on the New Testament. But I certainly don't take the Gospels as historical biography. There is just not enough archaeolgical evidence. In the same way, I respect the story of the Exodus but I am sure that the evidence proves that it did not happen as described.

And I have no doubt that Yhwh is not a "Supreme Being" even were such a one to exist. But I am of the opinion expressed by the Tathagata (the Buddha) that, in all my travels, I have never met such a one.
  • edited September 2005
    I just heard today that some jews belive that Jeasus was a profet from god but not his son.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I could never get my head round this Trinity stuff... so I asked my Catholic Parish priest of the time, father Eddie Richer (who, incidentally, has to be one of the nicest people I have ever had the priviledge of knowing) and his deacon, Paul, who was as batty as I am, what this was all about.

"Yes, I understand the Father, and the Son bit, but what is is with the Holy Ghost? What is it?"

They looked at each other, then Father Eddie replied,

"SHE'S the Love that Flows In Between."

Paul added,

"There's no mystery, She's just Love in its True Purity."

For Catholics, this is simplicity beyond belief. And putting it into the feminine, bowled me over.... :)
    edited September 2005
    Referring to the Spirit as feminine comes to us from Jewish Wisdom literature where the Shekinah is called Wisdom and femininised. In Gnosticism and the Orthodox Church she is called Hagia (Saint) Sophia.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Well, as in all things, the Catholic Church is out of step.... it was the first time I'd ever heard of the Holy Spirit being referred to in the feminine gender. Thank you for that information, Simon. Nice :)
    edited September 2005
    Because I used to get into trouble for addressing the Almighty as "Mother Father God" when leading prayers in church, I chose to change it to "our Parent God".

Many Christian mystics have addressed God as Mother and, of course, Jung (who was a Protestant by background) called the declaration of the doctrine of the Assumption (1950) as replacing the Mother at the cntre of worship.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Well this question has kept haunting me for many years, but I just can't find a Jew in Singapore who'd answer it. Not that no one wants to, but then the Jewish population here is a sacred minority.

Now I see it... Does this belief also verifies that the New Testament has not been corrupted, being the source of Christ's teachings, and where he mentioned he was the Son of God?
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2006
    What did the First followers of Jesus call themselves?

THINK!

THINK A MINUTE BEFORE YOU SCROLL DOWN!

SCROLL DOWN!

SCROLL DOWN!

SCROLL DOWN!

SCROLL DOWN!

SCROLL DOWN!

SCROLL DOWN!

JEWS FOR JESUS !
    edited January 2006
    I think some Jews believe that the Messiah would be called Yashua.

It's like how many of us Buddhists will believe in Matreiya if one day he comes down and he says my name is George Bush? (Dangerous statement!)
    edited January 2006
    Fun post, Nirvana, but, I fear, inaccurate.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Thanks, Pilgrim. Tongue-in-cheek, I posted. It was all I could contribute to this thread with such a strange title.

Always good to get a response from YOU.

Nirvana
    edited January 2006
    Nirvana wrote:
    Thanks, Pilgrim. Tongue-in-cheek, I posted. It was all I could contribute to this thread with such a strange title.

Always good to get a response from YOU.

Nirvana

Tongue-in-cheek, perhaps, Nirvana, but it still got me thinking. The Shakyamuni Buddha founded, and named, the Sangha. The Prophet Mohammed (peace be on him) spoke of the Umma. But, as far as I can see, Jesus never gave his followers a name, other than 'disciples' or 'students'. In the Muslim world, students are called taliban, so Peter, John, the Marys, Andrew, Philip and the rest were taliban. (Perhaps, if Christians called themselves Taliban, it would confuse OBL and his cohorts!)

In reflecting on the question of what the first 'Jesus people' called themselves, I realised that the question must have exercised them, too. They had to work out most of what we now think of as the Church without much practical instruction from the Founder. Jesus certainly didn't leave blueprints for a structure or a hierarchy. It actually took the Romans to give a derogatory name to the new movement: Christiani. Tacitus would be very amused to learn that it became the official name for the believers and, even a name proudly borne.

I like the idea that Jesus didn't name a 'movement' because that wasn't what he was interested in.
    nor what he was about.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2006
    All,

This may be of interest:
    It would probably come as a shock to most Christians today that the original followers of Jesus were never called Christians. They were called Nazarenes. The gospels showed that the Galilean was normally referred to as Jesus the Nazarene (Mark 1:24; John 18:5). Most modern New Testament translations render this as "Jesus of Nazareth" but the former represents the more common form of words in the original Greek version.

It was in Antioch that the words "Christian" was first used, to describe the followers of Paul! (Acts 11:25) - Source

:)

Jason
  • edited January 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Well this question has kept haunting me for many years, but I just can't find a Jew in Singapore who'd answer it. Not that no one wants to, but then the Jewish population here is a sacred minority.

Now I see it... Does this belief also verifies that the New Testament has not been corrupted, being the source of Christ's teachings, and where he mentioned he was the Son of God?

The divinity of Christ wasn't a fundamental part of early Christianity until around four hundred years after Christ died. The reason that Jews don't take Christ as the Messiah is because he didn't fulfill the requirements for the Jewish Messiah.
  • edited January 2006
    According to some Jesus was nothing more than another spiritual being like Dionysos, Mithras, Attis, Isis, Osiris who existed in another realm and was killed and came back to life there, not here. Most of these cults had sacred meals (like Paul’s Lord’s Supper in 1 Corinthians 11:23f) and envisioned mystical relationships between the believer and the god similar to what Paul speaks of with Christ. Early Christianity may have been a Jewish sectarian version of this widespread type of belief system, though with its own strong Jewish features and background.

Interesting stuff. Check that page. Here it is again: http://www.jesuspuzzle.com

Keith
    edited February 2006
    Dionysos, Mithras, Attis, Isis, Osiris......

That well-known pop-group 'Lappovthegodz'......
  • edited February 2006
    Careful what you write. One thing I've noticed here in America is that there seems to be a growing trend for black Americans to name themselves something that sounds foreign, without understanding what the words mean. I've even come acrossa woman called 'Fillet Mignon' for example.
  • edited February 2006
    Careful what you write. One thing I've noticed here in America is that there seems to be a growing trend for black Americans to name themselves something that sounds foreign, without understanding what the words mean. I've even come acrossa woman called 'Fillet Mignon' for example.

:D Yuuuuuuuuuuck, that's put me off my Porc a la Normande!
  • edited February 2006
    Hey, don't knock the guy.
  • edited February 2006
    no - sorry, lost on me that one!
  • edited February 2006
    As in - don't knock the person called 'Porc a la Normonde'.
  • edited February 2006
    Oh I'm sorry - it's rather late here! Sense of humour has been disconnected - if you hadn't had to translate that one it would have been very funny.

As long as you haven't got one called Tete de Veau yet. Yukky name, yukky concept!
  • edited February 2006
    Somewhere in Detroit at this very minute, the talanted dancer, Tete de Veau, gets an unexplained tingling feeling in her left ear...
    edited February 2006
    And Filet Mignon sighs, in her sleep, dreaming she was taller.....!
    edited February 2006
    I have heard that the French chanteuse, Bouillabaisse, has dedicated her new album to her lover, Crepe Suzette.
    edited February 2006
    And Bain Marie has already launched her 2007 swimwear line...!!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited February 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    I think some Jews believe that the Messiah would be called Yashua.

It's like how many of us Buddhists will believe in Matreiya if one day he comes down and he says my name is George Bush? (Dangerous statement!)
    :skeptical Don't even joke about that. :hair:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I have heard that the French chanteuse, Bouillabaisse, has dedicated her new album to her lover, Crepe Suzette.
    Wait, what?!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Enough French already!! :P

Sorry to do this, but here's a good link on this subject:
    http://www.aish.com/spirituality/philosophy/Why_Dont_Jews_Believe_In_Jesus$.asp

a snippet:
    Why Don't Jews Believe in Jesus?
    by Rabbi Shraga Simmons

It is important to understand why Jews don't believe in Jesus. The purpose is not to disparage other religions, but rather to clarify the Jewish position. The more data that's available, the better-informed choices people can make about their spiritual path.
    Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah because:

1) Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
    2) Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
    3) Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.
    4) Jewish belief is based on national revelation.
    At the end of this article, we will examine these additional topics:
    5) Christianity contradicts Jewish theology
    6) Jews and Gentiles
    7) Bringing the Messiah

---

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he will:

A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
    B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
    C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
    D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world -- on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

The historical fact is that Jesus fulfilled none of these messianic prophecies.
    Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming, but Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright, and no concept of a second coming exists.

---

Biblical verses can only be understood by studying the original Hebrew text -- which reveals many discrepancies in the Christian translation.

A. VIRGIN BIRTH
    The Christian idea of a virgin birth is derived from the verse in Isaiah 7:14 describing an "alma" as giving birth. The word "alma" has always meant a young woman, but Christian theologians came centuries later and translated it as "virgin." This accords Jesus' birth with the first century pagan idea of mortals being impregnated by gods.

B. CRUCIFIXION
    The verse in Psalms 22:17 reads: "Like a lion, they are at my hands and feet." The Hebrew word ki-ari (like a lion) is grammatically similar to the word "gouged." Thus Christianity reads the verse as a reference to crucifixion: "They pierced my hands and feet."

C. SUFFERING SERVANT
    Christianity claims that Isaiah chapter 53 refers to Jesus, as the "suffering servant."
    In actuality, Isaiah 53 directly follows the theme of chapter 52, describing the exile and redemption of the Jewish people. The prophecies are written in the singular form because the Jews ("Israel") are regarded as one unit. The Torah is filled with examples of the Jewish nation referred to with a singular pronoun.

Ironically, Isaiah's prophecies of persecution refer in part to the 11th century when Jews were tortured and killed by Crusaders who acted in the name of Jesus.
    From where did these mistranslations stem? St. Gregory, 4th century Bishop of Nanianzus, wrote: "A little jargon is all that is necessary to impose on the people. The less they comprehend, the more they admire."

The article goes into detail about each of these points (some of which, I've provided). It is a bit too long to post in its entirety, but I will do so if you guys don't mind.
    For some side info, the name YHVH indicates both male and female, though this is not advertised too much. Throughout the Hebrew Torah, different names are used to refer God and his/her host. Elohim is one of the most prominent names used. The original hebrew used to compose the Torah is so rich and manifold, no English translation could possibly do it justice without volumes of commentary.

Also, the Holy Spirit initially existed in Judaism, but not really as a person. It is considered the Breath (Ruach) of God or the enlivening force of creation breathed into man's nostrils in the Genesis story/myth (btw, the regarding of the Genesis account as partly myth does not discredit it, imo). It is considered in Judaism that all people have the holy spirit in them. Some of the New Testament theology surrounding the Holy Spirit and God is a radical departure from Judaism in many ways. It is also interesting to note that the passage in John regarding the Trinity was changed from the original Greek. Initially, Father, Son and Holy Spirit were not mentioned at all, but rather something along the lines of fire, water, & blood (though my memory fails me). It was supposedly changed somewhere because the doctrine was implicit throughout the new testament. Basically, it was added for consistency. It is also argued by some biblical historians that the passage in Matthew where Jesus charges the disciples to preach the gospel (good news), the part about baptizing in the name of the Trinity was added. Apparently, the prose style seems to differ from the rest of the text and this part of 'the charge' was not mentioned in the accounts in Luke or Mark.

Anyway, take care.

_/\_
    metta
    edited March 2006
    Nice. Great read I'll have! Thanks! :rockon:
  • edited November 2006
    I am a little late on this one :)

I can`t say anything in regards to the initial question but since trinity came up here, I just wanna say that I never had problems in comprehending it,maybe i got it totally wrong :D

The father, the sond and the holy spirit are not three seperate individuals, like dieties, nor are they equal, they are simply one and the same just different aspects of it. If one believes in Trinity, then God shows in that three ways, the son makes it possible to circumvent the idolozing prohibiton (no images of god), the spirit makes it possible to speak of god within one`s ownmind/spirit. For me,it has always been that simple, it does not violate monotheism, but as said, maybe I am wrong :)
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    I am a little late on this one :)

I can`t say anything in regards to the initial question but since trinity came up here, I just wanna say that I never had problems in comprehending it,maybe i got it totally wrong :D

The father, the sond and the holy spirit are not three seperate individuals, like dieties, nor are they equal, they are simply one and the same just different aspects of it. If one believes in Trinity, then God shows in that three ways, the son makes it possible to circumvent the idolozing prohibiton (no images of god), the spirit makes it possible to speak of god within one`s ownmind/spirit. For me,it has always been that simple, it does not violate monotheism, but as said, maybe I am wrong :)

Yeah, I don't really have a big problem with the Trinitarian Doctrine, except for the tendency to regard them as 3 separate persons (rather than aspects of God). That really seems to miss the point to me.

_/\_
    metta
  • becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
    edited November 2006
    And I have no doubt that Yhwh is not a "Supreme Being" even were such a one to exist.

Simon, I must question this statement. When you say "I have no doubt..." that means to me that you somehow know that Yhwh is not a supreme being. Now, I may agree with you on this but how can you know?
    I am a firm believer in logic. Your logic tells you that there may not be any supreme being and that it is certainly not the God of the Bible. I mostly agree. However, I would say that I see it as being logical for a supreme-type being to exist. It makes sense to me. I don't believe that God or whatever descriptive word used for this "being" is the Christian God. I, personally, believe in some form of God or another even if it may be something more like the Tao as referred to in the Tao Te Ching. That being said, I certainly can't know this for sure. My belief of such a being cannot be proved by scientific means or any other means that I know of. Also, I really don't have an established view of 'God' because, logically, no one really can say for sure that "He" even exists, let alone in what form. Those are just my simple thoughts on this matter.
    edited November 2006
    Simon, I must question this statement. When you say "I have no doubt..." that means to me that you somehow know that Yhwh is not a supreme being. Now, I may agree with you on this but how can you know?
    I am a firm believer in logic. Your logic tells you that there may not be any supreme being and that it is certainly not the God of the Bible. I mostly agree. However, I would say that I see it as being logical for a supreme-type being to exist. It makes sense to me. I don't believe that God or whatever descriptive word used for this "being" is the Christian God. I, personally, believe in some form of God or another even if it may be something more like the Tao as referred to in the Tao Te Ching. That being said, I certainly can't know this for sure. My belief of such a being cannot be proved by scientific means or any other means that I know of. Also, I really don't have an established view of 'God' because, logically, no one really can say for sure that "He" even exists, let alone in what form. Those are just my simple thoughts on this matter.

BTS, that is precisely why I use the conditional mood. Whatever my personal opinion on the matter of "supreme being", I am aware that conventional logic is not adequate to establish whether or not the notion has objective reality.

Thank you for pointing it out.
  • becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
    edited November 2006
    You're welcome and I appreciate your response!