Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

IS dark energy the energy of life in the universe ?

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited June 2010 in Buddhism Today
I have a question that can't really be answered but is interesting to ponder. It is thought that dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that permeates all of space and tends to increase the rate of expansion of the universe. In the standard model of cosmology, dark energy currently accounts for 74% of the total mass-energy of the universe. Now as a Buddhist I believe that life is in essence a constantly changing stream of psycho-physical energy which is shaped and transformed by the lives it lives and the actions it takes, and in successive rebirths manifests itself in forms and worlds of experience appropriate to it. So is it not plausible to suggest that this dark energy which coinstitutes 74% of the total mass-energy of the universe is in fact the energy of life in the universe itself. What do you think ?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Well no doubt this is not other than the energetic-ness of life. Do you mean like a prime mover? or a first cause?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    DarthMaulWallpaper.jpg

DON'T TRUST THE DARK SIDE
  • edited May 2010
    The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

The sincere practitioner Avalokitesvara
    while intently practicing the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    perceived that all of the five phenomenal aggregates are empty of inherent existence
    and was thereby saved from all suffering and distress.

He told Shariputra:
    Form does not differ from emptiness,
    emptiness does not differ from form.
    That which is form is emptiness,
    that which is emptiness is form.
    The same is true of feelings,
    perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

Shariputra,
    all perceived phenomena are marked with emptiness.
    They do not appear or disappear,
    they are neither tainted nor pure,
    nor do they increase or decrease.

Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling,
    no perception, no impulse, and no consciousness.
    There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind;
    no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
    no object of mind,
    no mind to perceive,
    and so forth
    until it is clear that there is no realm of mental consciousness.

There is no ignorance nor extinction of ignorance,
    and so forth until no old age and death
    and also no extinction of these phenomena.

There is no suffering, no origination,
    no stopping, no path, no cognition,
    nor is there attainment, because there is nothing to attain.

If the sincere practitioner depends on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation,
    and the mind is not a hindrance,
    without any hindrance no fears exist.

Far apart from every incorrect view one dwells in the final state of seeing clearly.

In the innumerable worlds and dimensions
    all sincere practitioners depend on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    and thereby attain the final state of seeing clearly.

Therefore know that the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom
    is the great transcendent mantra,
    the great clarifying mantra,
    the ultimate mantra,
    the supreme mantra
    which is able to relieve all suffering,
    is perfectly clear,
    and is beyond any mistaken perception.

So proclaim the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom.
    Proclaim the mantra which says:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

“Gone Beyond, gone beyond, gone completely beyond, gone to the other shore.
    Clarity.
    So it is.”
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I have heard it as dark matter? Are we talking about the same thing?

I personally don't think it is any more or any less a part of life than any other piece of the universe.

If you are meaning that dark-energy is heaven or spirit or consciousness without a body or whatever, then lets get Peitro in here to smack you around with a fish. Just kidding, but I would consider it an un-ponderable.
    edited May 2010
    The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

Beautiful translation. What is the source. Thanks
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    zidangus wrote: »
    I have a question that can't really be answered but is interesting to ponder. It is thought that dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that permeates all of space and tends to increase the rate of expansion of the universe. In the standard model of cosmology, dark energy currently accounts for 74% of the total mass-energy of the universe. Now as a Buddhist I believe that life is in essence a constantly changing stream of psycho-physical energy which is shaped and transformed by the lives it lives and the actions it takes, and in successive rebirths manifests itself in forms and worlds of experience appropriate to it. So is it not plausible to suggest that this dark energy which coinstitutes 74% of the total mass-energy of the universe is in fact the energy of life in the universe itself. What do you think ?

"psycho-physical energy" has no real meaning to me. What does it mean to you?

namaste
  • edited May 2010
    Beautiful translation. What is the source. Thanks
    I'm almost ashamed to admit it. Most translations I had found were too "obscure", so I reworked those translations myself. English to English, mind you, but I hoped to make it less obscure and more "accessible", so that's how it came out. It felt kind of presumptuous to do.
  • edited May 2010
    No, dark energy is not the energy of life. There's nothing unique about it except that it's a form of energy we cannot see. The whole entire Universe is energy. Our 5 senses can only detect a fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum and the spectrum itself is likely a small fraction of all frequencies. We should expect that the majority of the Universe is composed of energy we can't see.

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited May 2010
    "I have heard it as dark matter? Are we talking about the same thing?"

No Dark matter is not the same as dark energy, Dark Energy appears to be, based on the brightness of the most distant type-Ia supernovae, a mysterious force that is accelerating the expansion of the universe. These recent discoveries have provided good evidence that there is such an outward force on the universe (variously called the cosmological constant, "quintessence," or "dark energy"). Data about the rotation of galaxies shows us that the outer parts rotate as fast as the inner parts. This only makes sense if there is a spherical distribution of matter in each galaxy, which is not what we see. Therefore we infer that there is a certain amount of Dark Matter in each galaxy. This could be some exotic particles, or just lots of stars too small to have ignited.
    Aside from this, there is also the Dark Matter that we think is there, based on theoretical arguments. This is something we can measure by looking at the cosmic microwave background and distant supernovae.

So is it that far fetched to argue that the stream of energy that is life is actually driving the evolution of the universe ? There is a very famous paper which proposes something called The Steinhardt–Turok model, and this pruposes that the universe has no begining and In this cyclic model, two parallel orbifold planes or M-branes collide periodically in a higher dimensional space.<sup id="cite_ref-Paul_J._Steinhardt.2C_Neil_Turok_2004_5-0" class="reference">[6]</sup> The visible four-dimensional universe lies on one of these branes. The collisions correspond to a reversal from contraction to expansion, or a big crunch followed immediately by a big bang. The matter and radiation we see today were generated during the most recent collision in a pattern dictated by quantum fluctuations created before the branes. Eventually, the universe reached the state we observe today, before beginning to contract again many billions of years in the future. Dark energy corresponds to a force between the branes, and serves the crucial role of solving the monopole, horizon, and flatness problems. Moreover the cycles can continue indefinitely into the past and the future, and the solution is an attractor, so it can provide a complete history of the universe.

So in effect the dark energy between the branes could be where are consciousness really is present.
    Again these are just questions to ponder, our knowledge of the workings of universe is not as good as a lot of you may think, for instance we still do not really know what processes are going on in supernovae or indeed in our own sun. The fact that our knowledge relies on theory explaining observation leaves open every possibility of being true. In fact in science there is no such thing as a true law or principle simply because there is always a chance that observation may prove it wrong.
  • edited May 2010
    "So in effect the dark energy between the branes could be where are consciousness really is present."

Or it could all be taking place "within" consciousness. Or concurrently with consciousness, too closely entwined phenomenologically to be separated.
    edited May 2010
    I'm almost ashamed to admit it. Most translations I had found were too "obscure", so I reworked those translations myself. English to English, mind you, but I hoped to make it less obscure and more "accessible", so that's how it came out. It felt kind of presumptuous to do.
    Oh don't be ashamed. It's beautiful. In a way we do that anyway, for our own practice.
    edited May 2010
    I initially came to "spirituality" (Vedanta at first) via the "Dancing Wu Li Masters", "Tao of physics" route. Seeing a reified "emptiness" as a pure non-being-Being creative infinitute etc, quantum fluctuation were equated in my mind with Form arising from Emptiness. This aligned with Vedanta somewhat but fell away when I took up the Dharma. The analogue only went so far.

IMO the parallels are poetic.
  • edited May 2010

Hi SherabDorje and Richard,

You might like this translation (which also shows the Sanskrit and Tibetan)

http://www.dharmafellowship.org/library/texts/heart-sutra.htm

Kind regards,

D.

• edited May 2010
    I initially came to "spirituality" (Vedanta at first) via the "Dancing Wu Li Masters", "Tao of physics" route. Seeing a reified "emptiness" as a pure non-being-Being creative infinitute etc, quantum fluctuation were equated in my mind with Form arising from Emptiness. This aligned with Vedanta somewhat but fell away when I took up the Dharma. The analogue only went so far.

IMO the parallels are poetic.

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche appears to do that reification again in his book Joyful Wisdom. I myself have always gone with the reified concept no matter what. I think it just hasn't been openly or capably re-reified until recently.

And while we're talking "poetic", the graphics in NOVA's The Elegant Universe with Brian Greene show Buddhist reductionism really, well, elegantly.
    edited May 2010
    Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche appears to do that reification again in his book Joyful Wisdom. I myself have always gone with the reified concept no matter what. I think it just hasn't been openly or capably re-reified until recently.

And while we're talking "poetic", the graphics in NOVA's The Elegant Universe with Brian Greene show Buddhist reductionism really, well, elegantly.
    Say.... aren't you a Vajrayana guy.. Madhyamaka "n" such? What are you doing reifying stuff? :)
  • edited May 2010
    In my humble opinion, we've screwed up somewhere. We only theorize about dark matter and dark energy, neither of which have a shred of evidence, as "placeholder phenomena" that our math doesn't work out correctly without. It seems more likely that we've made a fundamental mistake somewhere, and that our mathematical/physical framework of the universe is in error.

That being said, and regardless of whether it's true or not, life is everywhere and everything if we consider all changing phenomena to be 'life'. And why not? Doesn't the Earth change, evolve, constantly throughout its existence? And also the solar system, and therefore also the galaxy and the universe? The entirety of existence seems to be of this constant change; of life. Biological life seems to be our narrow interpretation of what constitutes life, but we're basing life on how closely it resembles 'us', and that's a pretty selfish way to go about it.

That's just my two cents. They may be dirty/corroded, but I don't think they're entirely worthless.

Namaste
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited May 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    nice link thickpaper, matter does seem to be more dominant than antimatter in the universe, however as long as there was not identical magnitudes of both matter and antimatter in the universe, life could still be present and we cannot rule out the possibility that some antimatter stars or galaxies exist somewhere in our universe with antimatter life forms.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Reminds me of the Hindu "Days of Brahma" ... Brahma breathes out, and there is existence, Brahma breathes in, and there is no existence. Brahma is "that which is".

Now, I'm a Buddhist, and as intellectually-interesting as this may be, it is in actuality totally irrelevant to my sorry attemts to achieve enlightenment.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    In Buddha Dharma we talk about the fundamental darkess in one's life , that is refers our our own illusions/ignorance in life that blocked us to see true reality in life ,
    darkness in this sense means the inablity to see or recognise the truth, in particular the truth nature in one's life. When we dissolved our fundamental darkness , our fundamental nature of enlightenment ( or Buddha nature ) will naturally emerged , this could be only done by bring forth our Buddha wisdom.

The great teacher Tientai (538-597ce) interprets darkness as illusion that prevents one from realizing the truth of the Middle Way, and divides such illusion into forty-two types, the last of which is fundamental darkness. This illusion is only extirpated when one attains the stage of perfect enlightenment, the last of the fifty-two stages of bodhisattva practice.
  • edited June 2010
    What color is your breath?
    It is through this you create the universe.

In Gassho
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »

E = mc^2.:)

/Victor
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    No, dark energy is not the energy of life. There's nothing unique about it except that it's a form of energy we cannot see. The whole entire Universe is energy. Our 5 senses can only detect a fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum and the spectrum itself is likely a small fraction of all frequencies. We should expect that the majority of the Universe is composed of energy we can't see.

That's right. Let's not confuse science with new-age speculations :p

P
  • edited June 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    DarthMaulWallpaper.jpg

DON'T TRUST THE DARK SIDE

that's an awesome image.
  • edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »

I personally don't think it is any more or any less a part of life than any other piece of the universe.

If you are meaning that dark-energy is heaven or spirit or consciousness without a body or whatever, then lets get Peitro in here to smack you around with a fish. Just kidding, but I would consider it an un-ponderable.

I think dark matter is a totally different thing.
  • edited June 2010
    Iawa wrote: »
    What color is your breath?
    It is through this you create the universe.

In Gassho

ok. now I'm really confused.