Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Not-Self or No-Self

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited June 2010 in Philosophy
This is not an invitation to explain Anatta (yet again) but just about the common translation into English, and its effect.

"Not-self" or "no-self"? There is a real difference in the effect of these two expressions. Does "an-" translate "not" or "no" or does it signify a negation that does not translate precisely into either English word?

The reason I ask this is because of a problem that comes up with "Not-self". It seems to be frequently taken up as meaning this is not-self, and that is not-self, but somewhere there is something beyond words that is Self. In other words it is seen as a negative way of affirming Self by those who are so inclined.

I realize that no-self can be siezed upon as an absolute position, but it seems to me that not-self is more likely to be taken up in a way that mis-directs.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    mettafou wrote: »
    Thanks Sherlock. I know its a skillfull means and that was addressed in the OP. Nonetheless this skillfull means has it's issue that I stated.
    edited May 2010
    This will go nowhere.
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    then it's just a matter of semantics? how about non-self?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    In English, it seems more fitting to translate "an-" in this case to "without" rather than a direct negation. It doesn't declare a negative, rather, it describes an absence.

Throughout the Pali language you can see it act in both ways, negating the affirmative qualities of the modified word, and describing a lack of the qualities of the modified word.
    edited May 2010
    Without-self. Not having the characteristics of, or constituting a self. That is hard to fudge-up. Not-self sounds like a negative that affirms a stealthy positive. Thanks.
    edited May 2010
    sorry for the cranky response mettafou
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    my view is the discourses support the meaning of 'not-self' because the teachings in the discourses are centred on non-attachment & relinquishment

the old Western scholars, who were in comparative religion mode, focused on a translation of 'not-soul' or 'no-soul' but this is metaphysical & not the essense of the teachings

the essense of the teachings is in this world & life there are things (the five aggregates) and these things are 'not-self'

they are 'not-ours'

they are merely borrowed time & borrowed goods

:)
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    In the beginning the practice is to negate self [notself] until no self is actually realised.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Although I see what you're saying (it seems to be really common to grasp at a "true self" somewhere beyond the aggregates and over the freakin' rainbow...), I still prefer not-self because it's read as a practice-instruction rather than a mere statement. I see a lot of people panicking because they hear "no self" and think that they don't exist. ;)
  • edited May 2010
    Greetings,

Not-self is the correct translation of anatta.

Anatta is always used with respect to a particular dhamma (e.g. consciousness is not-self, perception is not-self). "No self" makes no sense in that context.

Since the experiential range of any individual's world is the five aggregates, or six sense bases... "no self" remains an unnecessary, speculative, unbeneficial speculative view that cannot and need not be proved.

If people interpret "not-self" to mean there might be a self somewhere else, then they are falling into speculative wrong view. This is not what "not-self" means at all.

Metta,
    Retro. :)
    edited May 2010
    If people interpret "not-self" to mean there might be a self somewhere else, then they are falling into speculative wrong view. This is not what "not-self" means at all.
    Thats the point retro, and the fact that this wrong view isn't what "not-self" means is quite clearly stated in the O.P.
    edited May 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Although I see what you're saying (it seems to be really common to grasp at a "true self" somewhere beyond the aggregates and over the freakin' rainbow...), I still prefer not-self because it's read as a practice-instruction rather than a mere statement. I see a lot of people panicking because they hear "no self" and think that they don't exist. ;)
    Thank Vatiel. That about sums the problem with communicating. The O.P. comes out of having to do some "facilitating" of public sittings where this question comes up, and wanting to address questions simply and skillfully. "Not Self" is frequently taken as a kind of purist negation leading to (wink wink) True self. "No-self" is taken as a metaphysical statement.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Greetings,

Not-self is the correct translation of anatta.

Anatta is always used with respect to a particular dhamma (e.g. consciousness is not-self, perception is not-self). "No self" makes no sense in that context.

Since the experiential range of any individual's world is the five aggregates, or six sense bases... "no self" remains an unnecessary, speculative, unbeneficial speculative view that cannot and need not be proved.

Metta,
    Retro. :)

I wonder if that translation of anatta is lacking in some of the depth you can find by studying the pali language, and in such the observations of the people's understanding of self.

Atta isn't just self... it also refers to a structure.. like a scaffolding. Also, a tall tower you lookout from. In regarding the self like this, it seems they associated these qualities with self, which to me makes sense. It could be extrapolated to the inner substantive qualities... the concrete qualities.

It is therefore incomplete to say anatta is simply "not-self" because in our language it can be quickly seen as "not-me" or "not-mine". Saying consciousness it "not-mine" is short sighted and incomplete. It is more complete to see it as "not a freestanding independent structure."

I feel it critical to steer the mind away from simply collapsing anatta into the "not-mine" interpretation of "not-self" because its not really about releasing the possession of the qualities, its about describing the nature of the qualities. Better to expand the understanding to include "without-substantive existence."

With warmth,

Matt
    edited May 2010

This means the practice of not selfing is incomplete; not selfing should be continued until no self is realised.
    edited May 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    This means the practice of not selfing is incomplete; not selfing should be continued until no self is realised.
    No self? or niether self nor absence of self? The latter seems to be the thing. We start out with an assumption of there being a Self, so we have this antidote of Anatta. Once this wrong view has been corrected by the insight of Anatta, we don't hold onto Anatta. That is my understanding of a skillful means, and practice.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010

"This"...? You quoted my entire post.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Richard different traditions interpret the dharma differently. It seems your objective is to find the 'right' interpretation. But it is open to interpretation. All down the line rangtong (intrinsic emptiness) and shentong (extrinsic emptiness) define words differently. So they read the same scripture in some cases but have a different view.

Is your goal to know the 'truth' so you can tell other practitioners they are wrong? That would be silly...

Otherwise I would advise you to pursue the teaching that you believe in and see if it corresponds to your direct experience.
    edited May 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Richard different traditions interpret the dharma differently. It seems your objective is to find the 'right' interpretation. But it is open to interpretation. All down the line rangtong (intrinsic emptiness) and shentong (extrinsic emptiness) define words differently. So they read the same scripture in some cases but have a different view..
    The OP was simply about Anatta in a Theravadin context, and communication in that context.
    Is your goal to know the 'truth' so you can tell other practitioners they are wrong? That would be silly....
    Is that the impression you get from the thread? Well now that you mention it I want to be proclaimed the final word on all things, so everyone else can be wrong wrong wrong. Your wrongness will make me squeak with self satisfied bliss.
    Otherwise I would advise you to pursue the teaching that you believe in and see if it corresponds to your direct experience.
    OK.

If I have stepped on your toes at some point I do apologize.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    No I wasn't upset richard. You didn't step on my toes. I just didn't see where the question was for a therevadin context.
    edited May 2010
    Sorry for not being clear. The OP came from having an old commitment with my lay Theravadin Sangha, and wanting to communicate responsibly in that context, without bringing Zen ideas into it.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010

"Not-self" or "no-self"?

Not-self would be better. You really cannot say no-self because that would mean a total void as in there is not even the conventional self which you refer to as "I" in conversation. IMO "not-self" would mean there is the delusion of a self created by the five aggregates but that is NOT a SELF; just the five aggregates.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sorry for not being clear. The OP came from having an old commitment with my lay Theravadin Sangha, and wanting to communicate responsibly in that context, without bringing Zen ideas into it.

By limiting the discussion to "Theravadin" interpretation, I fear you only highlight the truth that we will not come to agreement here on a single translation - or even, perhaps, a single understanding. In addition, this also underlines that there is not a single, normative 'Buddhism' but many 'Buddhisms', a rainbow of Buddhisms.

As a one-time translator and interpreter, I know all-too-well that translation is not transliteration and that any translation will in some measure betray the original text.
    edited May 2010
    No self? or niether self nor absence of self? The latter seems to be the thing. We start out with an assumption of there being a Self, so we have this antidote of Anatta. Once this wrong view has been corrected by the insight of Anatta, we don't hold onto Anatta. That is my understanding of a skillful means, and practice.

I agree.

One goes into the "Bahiya" mode; just seeing, hearing without an I.
    One has to practise 'let-goism', as a detached observer of an
    inevitable law of nature. Then 'things' fade away into the nature
    of things. The realization will finally dawn that these "things"
    are of our own creation - or rather the creation of our ignorance
    and craving. This insight into the interplay of mental phenom-
    ena brings home the truth that 'I' is only a view and 'am' is only
    a conceit, which bolster up an imagined Self as 'I-am'.

Nanananda
    edited May 2010
    "This"...? You quoted my entire post.

Less chance of a miscommunication.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Except that backfired and I have no idea what your post has to do with mine, thus I asked for clarification. :p
    edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    I wonder if that translation of anatta is lacking in some of the depth you can find by studying the pali language, and in such the observations of the people's understanding of self.
    I found Retro's explanation very clear.

I would not dismiss or underestimate the Pali so lightly.

The Pali states:
    Those who mistake the unessential to be essential
    and the essential to be unessential,
    dwelling in wrong views,
    never arrive at the essential.

Those who know the essential to be essential
    and the unessential to be unessential,
    dwelling in right views,
    do arrive at the essential.

Yamakavagga
    Atta isn't just self... it also refers to a structure.. like a scaffolding.
    This is the opposite of not-self. This seems to be seeking some 'wholeness'. 'A ground of being' or 'god'.

Not-self is rooted in impermanence & dependent occuring. Not-self in its most basic understanding arises from seeing the parts & not some 'whole'.
    Also, a tall tower you lookout from. In regarding the self like this, it seems they associated these qualities with self, which to me makes sense. It could be extrapolated to the inner substantive qualities... the concrete qualities.
    Indeed. Your point here is really departing from Buddhism. Buddhism sees insubstantiveness rather than whatever you are regarding as substantiveness & concrete qualities.

Your understanding is the same as S9's, basically Hindu, not letting go of awareness; not recognising the passing & dissolution of awareness.

The Buddha advised:
    Form is like a glob of foam;
    feeling, a bubble;
    perception, a mirage;
    fabrications, a banana tree;
    consciousness, a magic trick

However you observe them,
    appropriately examine them,
    they're empty,
    void to whoever sees them appropriately.

Beginning with the body
    when abandoned by three things —
    life, warmth & consciousness —
    form is rejected, cast aside.
    When bereft of these it lies thrown away,
    senseless, a meal for others.
    That's the way it goes:
    it's a magic trick,
    an idiot's babbling.

Pena Sutta
    It is therefore incomplete to say anatta is simply "not-self" because in our language it can be quickly seen as "not-me" or "not-mine". Saying consciousness it "not-mine" is short sighted and incomplete.
    This is some kind of metaphysics or psychology.

The purpose of "not-me" and "not-mine" is for relinquishment. Human beings suffer because their minds cling to things as "I" and "mine". Whilst "not-self" is true from the viewpoint of psychology/meta/physics, this is not its purpose. It purpose is to ending suffering.
    It is more complete to see it as "not a freestanding independent structure."
    Its purpose is to end dukkha.
    I feel it critical to steer the mind away from simply collapsing anatta into the "not-mine" interpretation of "not-self" because its not really about releasing the possession of the qualities, its about describing the nature of the qualities.
    Indeed. You have summed up the total difference in view perfectly here.

I can only disagree with you 100%, as I have already done & pre-empted from the beginning of my post.

Your viewpoint has little to do with Buddhism because it is not about the cessation of suffering.

Buddhism is 100% about releasing possession. Buddhism is not philosophy, which is about describing the nature of things.

Even when the 'not-self' you are referring to ('the description or nature of things') is seen clearly via direct insight, the result of that seeing clearly is still dispossession or relinquishment.
    Better to expand the understanding to include "without-substantive existence."
    Sure. This is a more refined or profound understanding but you have missed the essential matter.

What ever understanding or realisation there is, the point of it is relinquishment of attachment.

If the mind realises "without-substantive existence" it still relinquishes, it still abandons clinging.

This is what the Buddha taught EVERYWHERE. This is his teaching.

In MN 37, when the Buddha was asked to summarise his whole teaching in five words, he replied: "Nothing is worth clinging to".

Kind regards

"And how are the seven factors for awakening developed & pursued so as to bring clear knowing & release to their culmination? There is the case where a monk develops mindfulness as a factor for awakening dependent on seclusion, dependent on dispassion, dependent on cessation, resulting in relinquishment.

He develops analysis of qualities as a factor for awakening... persistence as a factor for awakening... rapture as a factor for awakening... serenity as a factor for awakening... concentration as a factor for awakening... equanimity as a factor for awakening dependent on seclusion, dependent on dispassion, dependent on cessation, resulting in relinquishment.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    DD,

You obviously misread my words. I am not describing anatta as scaffolding, rather I am describing atta as scaffolding in order to broaden the meaning of anatta (not replace) from "not-me" to "without-substantive existence."

It is not just about the relinquishment of possession, but also is a simple and direct pointing at the lack of substantial "self" qualities in any form. Why? Because as you expertly quoted:
    He develops analysis of qualities as a factor for awakening...

With warmth,

Matt
    edited May 2010
    You obviously misread my words. I am not describing anatta as scaffolding, rather I am describing atta as scaffolding in order to broaden the meaning of anatta (not replace) from "not-me" to "without-substantive existence."
    The word 'anatta' means 'not-self' rather something else.

There is a spiritual saying about climbing scaffolding from the bottom instead of try to climb it from the top.
    It is not just about the relinquishment of possession, but also is a simple and direct pointing at the lack of substantial "self" qualities in any form.
    The Buddha used the word 'sunnata' rather than 'anatta' for what you are suggesting.

Kind regards

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The word 'anatta' means 'not-self' rather something else.

There is a spiritual saying about climbing scaffolding from the bottom instead of try to climb it from the top.

Yes, I can see climbing from anatta to sunnata as one works up from the solid bottom of the scaffolding.

Can you see the limitations of the english word "self"?

"Self" is a slippery word in English and means many things... that is why I spent time looking closer at atta. This is the experienced thread, looking deeper at the nature of things seems appropriate here.

With warmth,

Matt
    edited May 2010
    Except that backfired and I have no idea what your post has to do with mine, thus I asked for clarification. :p

Make up your mind.

Smile or frown.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    What the shit. Lol.
    edited May 2010
    Once the sense of self is transcended, its polar opposite — the sense of something standing in contradistinction to a self — is transcended as well. In the Discourse at Kalaka's Park, the Buddha expresses this lack of a self/non-self polarity directly in terms of sensory experience. For a person who has attained the goal, experience occurs with no 'subject' or 'object' superimposed on it, no construing of experience or thing experienced. There is simply the experience in & of itself.

"Whatever is seen or heard or sensed
    and fastened onto as true by others,
    One who is Such — among the self-fettered —
    wouldn't further claim to be true or even false.

"Having seen well in advance that arrow
    where generations are fastened & hung
    — 'I know, I see, that's just how it is!' —
    there's nothing of the Tathagata fastened."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/likefire/2-3.html
    edited May 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Once the sense of self is transcended, its polar opposite — the sense of something standing in contradistinction to a self — is transcended as well. In the Discourse at Kalaka's Park, the Buddha expresses this lack of a self/non-self polarity directly in terms of sensory experience. For a person who has attained the goal, experience occurs with no 'subject' or 'object' superimposed on it, no construing of experience or thing experienced. There is simply the experience in & of itself.

"Whatever is seen or heard or sensed
    and fastened onto as true by others,
    One who is Such — among the self-fettered —
    wouldn't further claim to be true or even false.

"Having seen well in advance that arrow
    where generations are fastened & hung
    — 'I know, I see, that's just how it is!' —
    there's nothing of the Tathagata fastened."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/likefire/2-3.html

Thanks for that pegembara. Experiencing.
  • edited May 2010
    DD,

D: Buddhism is not philosophy, which is about describing the nature of things.

S9: There of course is Philosophical Buddhism, Scholarly Buddhism, Historical Buddhism, and Religious Buddhism just to mention a few, and that is not to mention the many schools and traditions of Buddhism. Most importantly there is the Buddhism, which is unique to each and every subjective individual finite self, which is continually changing as they progress in their intimate and direct understanding along our path.

Quite simply, or put beautifully by Simon, Buddhism is a “Rainbow.”

Thank you, Simon, for that. : ^ )

Trying to hog tie Buddhism and limit it down to one narrow idea or path just about kills our correspondence with others on this topic. All that leaves for these others is to either knuckle under to our personal viewpoint on the matter, or to walk away saying, “Whatever.”

This would certainly be a shame, when we have come here originally in order to share and grow through correspondence, in order to throw open a few windows and breathe some fresh air into our personal bias’ on this all important topic. : ^ (

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited May 2010
    DD,

D: This is what the Buddha taught EVERYWHERE. This is his teaching.

In MN 37, when the Buddha was asked to summarise his whole teaching in five words, he replied: "Nothing is worth clinging to".

S9: Does that include your ALL-important concept of relinquishing?

It is the mind that clings or relinquishes. Therefore if you see quite clearly that you are NOT in fact the mind, what is there actually to relinquish?

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited May 2010
    Pegembara,

P: There is simply the experience in & of itself.

S9: This “Experience” IS exactly what some call the ‘Transcendent Self,’ not to be confused with any mental configuration or ego self.

Q: “…there's nothing of the Tathagata fastened."

S9: Because this “Experience” is not outside or objective to our “Original Self,” but rather synonymous to it, there is absolutely no need to fasten to, cling to, or try to own it. It simply “IS,” or what some have called “Suchness.”

Friendly Regards,
    S9
  • edited May 2010
    AMatt,

AM: Can you see the limitations of the English word "self"?

S9: All words are limited in this way. Unless a person has experienced, personally, what Enlightenment, Being Awakened, or Self Realization Is, how could a word of any description convey this fully?

We can point to any experience, but then it is incumbent upon the person we are directing towards it, to “walk the walk” and to find out intimately, exactly what is being pointed at. We cannot say this experience. Everyone needs to be put it on, and to live it directly.

Try explaining the taste of an orange to someone who has never eaten an orange. You might say an orange is similar to a tangerine and be correct to a degree. But, a person could eat a barrel full of tangerines and still not experience an orange in this way.

In this same fashion, we can only hope to truly understand an orange fully, or the taste of Realization, by personally biting into the fruit.

So in this way, I am agreeing with you, yes, but with a few added details I hope may help some to see my meaning here.

Warm Regards,
    S9
    edited May 2010
    Sometimes I really dont know where you are coming from. S9.

The OP was about a particular Theravadin teaching. Your insistence on pushing Self is simply out of context. Let it go already.
  • edited May 2010
    Richard,

OP/R: The reason I ask this is because of a problem that comes up with "Not-self". It seems to be frequently taken up as meaning this is not-self, and that is not-self, but somewhere there is something beyond words that is Self. <<<(Right there you bring up the Self.) Didn’t you, asks S9?

R: In other words it is seen as a negative way of affirming Self by those who are so inclined.

S9: Go figure! ; ^ )

R: The OP was about a particular Theravadin teaching. Your insistence on pushing Self is simply out of context. Let it go already.

S9: I saw absolutely no mention that only Theravadin need to reply to this PUBLIC posting.

: ^ (

I was merely saying why other persons (rightfully or wrongfully) might see these words quite differently than you see them. No reason to get angry, or is it confused, my friend.
    Folks/Strokes as you have said other times. ; ^ )

Language being dualistic in nature would certainly always imply an opposite notion in order to make sense, just like up and down or in and out only make sense together in the mind.

If there is no such thing as a “self,” what on earth is a “not-self?” You can’t have one without the other to explain it. That would be like saying “no contets”… yes it is meaningless because there is no such thing as a contet. ; ^ )

Therefore “No Self”, “Not Self” or even “Without Self,” certainly begs the question, “Than what IS the Real Self?” Or, “Where is this Real Self to be found?”

Buddha didn’t address what the Self was for multiple reasons IMO. One being that Self was a very common notion at the time that Buddha was supposed to be speaking. Also, he felt that if you could remove illusion to any good extent, what remained would certainly be the Truth, as in first things first.

This Self wasn’t manufactured by the mind, yet many were using the mind as a tool to find Self. This created a problem of being trapped in the mind.

I believe he hoped to direct people towards another method at least in the beginning. (The Hindu's in his time called this same practice Neti/Neti, or “Not this, Not that." Nothing new!

But as people often are inclined to do, they simply turned around and plugged in "not-self" where "ego self" used to be, and clung to that notion of "not self" instead. As you can see, I hope, this practice would also be mind bound.

Warm Regards,
    S9
    edited May 2010
    Ok Sure , public posting. I wasn't explicit in the OP and clarified later about the Theravadin nature of the thread. My question was about the best use of language to use when speaking in a Theravadin setting, in order to avoid encouraging precisely this persistent tendancy....

S9 "Therefore “No Self”, “Not Self” or even “Without Self,” certainly begs the question, “Than what IS the Real Self?” Or, “Where is this Real Self to be found?”

So thanks for demonstrating the difficulty.:D

Much affection Richard
  • edited May 2010

Excellent posts from the Theravadins responding to Richards question #1.

Many thanks. _/\_

• edited May 2010
    Anatta is probably one of the toughest doctrines to get right.

For those who have a bit of philosophical background, it may be helpful to consider that (1) the word stem is an-atta an-atman, which is a negation of atman that expresses the rejection of the existence of atman or eternal soul, and (2) the word phenomenal self (as in phenomalism) may be helpful to explain the not-self idea. Since "phenomenal self" is easily misinterpreted, I have come to use the term "empirical self" instead for the same purpose. The term "empirical self" may be associated with empiricism and the bundle theory formulated by David Hume that bears similarity with the Buddhist concept of the aggregate nature of the self, and the emptiness of the five skhandhas. The common problem with anatta is that it is often understood as a positive statement about ontology, whereas it is actually a negative statement about ontology.

The empirical self -in my understanding- is that which we commonly experience as self by means of (wrong) identification. This is a process rather than an entity, so it would be more correct to speak of "selfing". Then there is the larger transpersonal self, the citta and the karma that transcend this body and this lifetime. It is likewise a process rather than an entity. So, in my view there is a empirical self and a transpersonal self, which are ultimately the same, and which are -like all phenomena- empty.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited May 2010
    Truthseeker,

A question: Who says this ongoing process, is not me? Can the process say,"This process is not me?" Isn’t that a contradiction?

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited May 2010
    I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Savatthi, in Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. And on that occasion Ven. Girimananda was diseased, in pain, severely ill. Then Ven. Ananda went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One, "Lord, Ven. Girimananda is diseased, in pain, severely ill. It would be good if the Blessed One would visit Ven. Girimananda, out of sympathy for him."

"Ananda, if you go to the monk Girimananda and tell him ten perceptions, it's possible that when he hears the ten perceptions his disease may be allayed. Which ten? The perception of inconstancy, the perception of not-self, the perception of unattractiveness, the perception of drawbacks, the perception of abandoning, the perception of dispassion, the perception of cessation, the perception of distaste for every world, the perception of the undesirability of all fabrications, mindfulness of in-&-out breathing.

[1] "And what is the perception of inconstancy? There is the case where a monk — having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building — reflects thus: 'Form is inconstant, feeling is inconstant, perception is inconstant, fabrications are inconstant, consciousness is inconstant.' Thus he remains focused on inconstancy with regard to the five clinging-aggregates. This, Ananda, is called the perception of inconstancy.

[2] "And what is the perception of not-self? There is the case where a monk — having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building — reflects thus: 'The eye is not-self, forms are not-self; the ear is not-self, sounds are not-self; the nose is not-self, aromas are not-self; the tongue is not-self, flavors are not-self; the body is not-self, tactile sensations are not-self; the intellect is not-self, ideas are not-self.' Thus he remains focused on not-selfness with regard to the six inner & outer sense media. This is called the perception of not-self."

AN 10.60

Continued : http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.060.than.html

edited May 2010
    Truthseeker,

A question: Who says this ongoing process, is not me? Can the process say,"This process is not me?" Isn’t that a contradiction?

Warm Regards,
    S9
    Not... this process is not me, because that implies a me behind the process. That was the point of the OP. The process is without self, it is a process of experiencing without an experiencer. "Me" in that sense is a knot, the the insight of Anatta unbinds that not. Them we move move on and forget about the knot, and don't linger on its absence.

As an aside there seems to be big difference between more and less experienced Zen practitioners around the notion of "true self". People who read about it and maybe practice alone without guidance, tend to imagine a True self beyond the skandhas. More experienced students see that as a skillful means for emptying the subjective pole ( a form of "not I not I"). This emptying precedes a shift to experiencing without an experiencer.
  • edited May 2010
    Quote: "And what is the perception of not-self? There is the case where a monk — having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building — reflects thus: 'The eye is not-self, forms are not-self; the ear is not-self, sounds are not-self; the nose is not-self, aromas are not-self; the tongue is not-self, flavors are not-self; the body is not-self, tactile sensations are not-self; the intellect is not-self, ideas are not-self.' Thus he remains focused on not-selfness with regard to the six inner & outer sense media. This is called the perception of not-self."

S9: Granted this is absolutely true as far as it goes. However it is only because the sense objects are co-dependent and temporary that they cannot be considered the Self. Who does all of this appear to? Who exactly understands these are not the Self.

So often Buddhist present this world and mind as a process of perpetual motion, and never allude to what this process takes place within, or what fuels it. It is like a computer without any Awareness outside of cause and effect, and this cause never explains where its origin lies. Sorry I am not buying that I should just believe it without first experiencing it directly.

Of course the mind sees anything outside of itself as empty, meaning empty of mind objects. But this in a way makes the mind king. Since the mind is a process made up of thoughts, which are obviously temporary how could it possible support this so called ongoing process? It sounds like magic thinking to me.

I am not saying the Buddha didn’t get it, by any means. I am saying that we don’t get the Buddha.

Everyone claims to understand what he is saying, but obviously are not than Waking Up immediately as He did. So also quite as obviously, He was seeing something that we are not. My educated guess is that He saw something transcendent of the mind.

I wish someone could point me in the right direction if I am wrong in this. : ^ ) But, please don’t expect me to swallow anything whole, esp. if it isn’t consistent with my own experience. I only can hope that others would respect this as it is exactly what the Buddha advised that we do, Investigate completely and with all of your might.

Buddhism isn’t a game of linguistic. Nor is Buddhism a dogma, where we believe and cherish every word in the Sutras as if they were like the “Words of God,” to be memorized and parroted. The Sutras are a map. It is a Way to rediscover our very own Buddha Nature, quite intimate, only if we "walk the walk," or "peel the onion to its core."

Warm Regards,
    S9
    edited May 2010
    I am not saying the Buddha didn’t get it, by any means. I am saying that we don’t get the Buddha.
    This is beyond the pale S9. Plenty of people, tons of people, get the Buddha just fine, without controversy. What you are saying is that you get him, and all those Buddhists who have taken refuge don't. I see no way of addressing your idee fixe.
  • edited May 2010
    Richard,

Question: I wonder if you have noticed that it is easy at some point to disregard thoughts and come to see a blank screen. At that point you may identify with this blank screen, which is very restful, or even call it the “Not self.” Yet at the same time, when you get up off the cushion and go about life in the fast lane the blank screen is gone…Poof.

To be, because of this personal experience, it always seemed that the blank screen was just one more mind object. How, my friend does the mind’s inability to transcend this blank screen, many call nothingness or empty, prove there is nothing beyond the mind?

Please remember if you will that I am in complete agreement with you that the mind is simply a process, or what I call a dream. I also know the dreamer is a character in the dream. What I am asking is WHAT supports this ongoing dream? I have been on this quest for many, many decades…so experienced practitioner isn’t the dividing line between us.
    ; ^ )

Peace,
    S9
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Truthseeker,

Warm Regards,
    S9

I think you're touching on the root here of why it is intrinsically flawed to equate "not-self" to "not-me".

I caught some heat for offering that not-self is more equal to "without an independent structure", but as I practice, it remains the most consistent and logical interpretation of the word anatta.

Some of your posts do seem to describe a grasping... like you want an eternal self to exist, or expect it to exist somehow.

With warmth,

Matt