Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My best friend seems to hate me because I'm learning about Relgion....

edited December 2005 in General Banter
My best friend, Liz, is, or seems to be, mad with me for looking at different religions that have nothing or bearly anything, or have more than, one god. I told her that I wanted to explore my options and see what fits best with me.

Just starting to learn about Buddism and I feel in love with it.

We got into a little "big" fight today and I'm a little streesed by it.

While walking to the libary a speeding car drove past us, she yelled "Slow down!" at it, and the car slammed on it breaks, and yelled back. "That good enough for ya?!" I asked why she did that and she said because he was going ot fast as was going ot hit me... Now she was showing that she cared but she does this all teh time, including swearing most of the time, shes very paranoid and thinks everyone but her closest friends and family are pure evil or something....

I love her I do, and never want to loose her as a firned.

She told me to just pick one, and I told her it will take time. I was talking to her about satisim and she snapped thinking that i was like worhsipiong the devil now or something.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    First of all, understand her perspective - is she from a comfortable, "traditional" background? Perhaps she is afraid of losing you because of things she doesn't understand. Just as you are afraid of losing her. See how ignorance can cause suffering?

What might help is to be able to communicate clearly to her that you love her and value her friendship and that this won't change just because you are trying to find a path that suits you. Opening up communication with her and explaining why you feel that the buddhist path is good for you might go a long way towards nipping any problems in the bud.

She probably has a lot of questions for you and is afraid to ask. My family was so afraid that I was going to hell because I wasn't a catholic anymore. Perhaps she is afraid for your soul, like my family was? If that's the case, understand and respect her feelings, and if it helps, tell her that you are not worshipping any statues or sacrificing any animals ;)
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks loads for the help, after like a month, shes fine with everything and I explained a lot to her.