Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to start practicing Buddhism?

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I read a translation of The Dhammapada several years ago and I immediately realized that this is what I believe. It clicked with me. And for several years, I've just realized that Buddhism is my truth. But I really am completely lost as to how to start practicing it. The closest meditation center is three hours away from where I live, so I have not been there, but I believe in what I have read so much that I seriously see myself pursuing monastic life in the future. But I just don't know how to start this. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Billie,

I understand how enthusiastic you are after encountering the Buddha's teachings and how inspiring those teachings can be. So much so that I also want to ordain so I can relate to what you are saying. I certainly don't have all the answers, but this is what I have discovered so far in my own practice.

First - My advice would be to keep the five precepts as best as you can, not only by externally observing them but also understanding their importance and relation to the rest of the path.

Second - Without access to a teacher the next best thing is to read a meditation manual. Two manuals which I highly recommend are "Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahmavamso and "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Bhante Gunaratana. Both books explain many of the roadblocks and problems you will encounter in your practice and how to deal with them.

Third - When you have the time, I recommend going on a meditation retreat. This is perhaps the closest thing us lay people have to get a taste of what ordained life is like. This way you will get an opportunity to practice meditation free of worldly distractions and get a better idea of whether or not the monastic lifestyle suits you.

Forth - Try not to worry too much over whether or not you are a monk or a layman. As I said before, I want to ordain, but I try to keep in mind that the practice isn't some time in the future in a monastery somewhere - it is right here and now. Just do the best you can right now, today, to practice the Noble Eightfold Path and trust in the Dhamma.

With Metta,

Guy
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    GuyC:s advice are very good.

I would add that you will need some theoretical resources as well.
    This pampflet is a very good beginners manual.

http://www.kusala.org/pdf/wordofbuddha.pdf

Then I always recommend suttanipata for starters.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/index.html

Also this place is a good resource on suttas if you have not been there.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

Good luck and ask more

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you! That is very helpful. I think I may have read everything on the internet I could find. It's how I've figured out I lean more toward Theravada beliefs and practice, although that is also the hardest to find on the web, and what is translated the least for Westerners. All of the Buddhist books I can find at the bookstore are Zen or Tibetan. I read them, and for me it is much better than reading nothing, but they don't read as true to me as the Buddha's words or the few readings by Theravada scholars I have read.
  • edited June 2010
    Hi Billie,

I highly recommend that you read some teachings from the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition.

This website has talks from the late Ajahn Chah and his students.

http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• edited June 2010
    Thank you for your thoughtful replies.
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I'm reading that "pamphlet" (which I would not call it that I don't know of any pampflet 110 pages long...) but it is very helpful so far