Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddism in indonesia

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Today
smap7k.jpg28714_397871492877_658947877_4016760_3681016_n.jpg

cannot expain religion discrimination in that country.

that picture show the statue of buddha is about to destroy because the statue of buddha is more famous than local city statue .
And the picture below is a letter of protest from "united Islamic movement" about the buddha statue.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    The way in which the Republic of Indonesia is dealing with its cultural wealth is a pity indeed. The people of Indonesia could enrich themselves by finding peace and unity. In Aceh, I know, minority groups, women and children do not count, just because of the impact of the Islam. I wonder if it (still) is the true Islam that is proclaimed (although this notion can not be limited to sec Indonesia of course)
  • edited June 2010
    In Indonesia, they can build a smaller buddha, and it is best to reflect the feature of Indonesian :D, or prophet Muhammad and be mindful that everyone features is so lovely and nice, but the intention is not to evangelise / convert Muslim into Buddhism. Buddhist has to recognise Islam as Buddhism and not discriminate Buddhism against Allah teachings on its blissful way of life. Most importantly, Buddhists in Indonesian themselves regardless of numbers, to meditate in peace, harmony and attain supreme enlightenment.

Extra fund should be used to help needies across Indonesia, and if to poor muslim, with the help of muslim like contributing to their school in the form of bursary to poor muslim family among others.

It is encouraged to establish a meditational hall such as hall for chanting Om Mani Padme Hum for Esoteric tradition; Amitabha for Pureland tradition; Zazen for Chan tradition. There ought to be dharma study and chanting as well but on a separate area in the monastery. The purpose is to acquire the common understanding of unity in diversity of different traditions in supreme enlightenment pursuit :)

Om Mani Padme Hum
    Amitabha
  • edited June 2010
    I got another idea - build this statue, more suitable. Invite the official to anoint and with cheque in kind for charity to the needies. :lol:
    bhinneka-tunggal-ika.jpg
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It is sad but it looks like impermanence. Are buddhists free to practice their religion in Indonesia? I might also add that I think it is petty to destroy a statue because it is more famous than your statue.
  • edited June 2010
    the statue is nice but remove those ropes from it's neck.
  • edited June 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    the statue is nice but remove those ropes from it's neck.
    Those ropes are statues as well, but its serves a loving kindness of securing touring cruiser alongside wharf :lol:
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, I'm living in Indonesia yet I don't know about it :( I'll find any information regarding this issue and will let you know further.

Although moslem is the majority religion in Indonesia, other religion also have ther freedom. But yes, in some ocassion and place conflicts happen between different religion.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    This is so sad :(