Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Salvation Army

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited June 2006 in Faith & Religion
Last year my wife and I decided to find and join a local Christian congregation. She's a divorced/disillusioned Catholic, and I walk the Buddha's Middle Way.

We ended up at the Salvation Army, because we felt very comfortable there. Even I like them, despite the fact I am wary of evangelicals. These people walk the walk - helping addicts, criminals and homeless.

I did not tell anyone there that I was Buddhist. It's not a secret, I just feel I should respect their ways when I am with them. And it's not my style to be in people's faces anyway.

Anyway, last week Colonel X, in his sermon, said something like "...I don't want to offend anyone of other faiths, but Jesus is the ONLY way...". That was my cue to open the subject. So afterwards I went up to him (out of earshot of anyone) and said "I'm a Buddhist, and you've never offended me!".

I meant that as a sincere compliment - I have great respect for the man and the uniform, even if I don't follow their doctine. See Salvation Army Doctrine .

He seemed surprised and asked some intelligent questions. But I get the disctinct impression he sees me differently now, and has taken a stance oppposite to me, however polite. When I see him he throws out tidbits like "you know the Buddha taught self-reliance, and that you don't need God" (which is the opposite of what they believe: that man cannot save himself but needs God's grace).

We agreed to meet privately to talk more, which I am looking forward to. I really like these people. I want to keep an open mind, and I want to learn. To use their own military analogy: I see myself as an ally, but I am not one of them.

But I am afraid that we are heading for an impasse. I see one of three possible outcomes:

1) I may accept Jesus and be saved (not likely but you never know!);
2) They may accept me as the token Buddhist, but will be an outsider;
3) We live in harmony, working together in compassion for the less fortunate

I'm hoping for #3.

I'll keep you posted.

Magwang.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I'd be interested to see what the outcome is. Please keep us posted.

I know these kind of people - I grew up with them whole life. "Jesus" is the only way - everyone else is going to Hell - blah, blah, blah.

Even when I was a part of this mentality, I could still appreciate someone else's views because, even if nothing else, even Paul wrote in his letters to the churches, "Let us reason together." He didn't go around beating people in the head if they didn't believe in Jesus. In fact, there are stories where he simply talked to people about his god - and let them decide for themselves.

I would hope for option 3 and maybe people will come to the conclusion: "Just because I believe in Jesus - doesn't mean that there are other people out there who could care less about Jesus - but are still good people following their own path. And... I can respect that."

Do Christians feel they are the only type of person that is good enough to help their fellow man?

-bf
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    From my experience, it will probably be "2".. They will very likely try to "save" you and then if they realize it is fruitless, they will treat you with a sort of distant sympathetic friendliness- not quite the pariah, but not one of them, either.

There's no way around it, most of the time. A true christian is absolutely convinced - Jesus is the only way - there is no compromise.
    edited September 2005
    I think Christianity thrives on the belief - "I'll be condescending to everyone else's beliefs because I'm right and they're wrong. I'll make snide and belittling comments about their belief cuz I'm Christian. But there is going to be Hell to pay if they make fun of my religion like I make fun of theirs".

Sad...

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    The Buddha emphasized self-reliance in our actions of body, speech, and mind, but just remember that Jesus asked his followers to act appropriately also. How much does that differ from what the Buddha taught?

Jesus was very passionate about people behaving in a proper, moral, and compassionate way. Is that not similiar to what the Buddha taught?

It is true that the main difference between them is that the Buddha taught we didn't need to rely on any gods for salvation, however, that is a personal choice that comes from faith - not fear.

I believe that if he is an open-minded individual you will have no problems. I can't see how anyone would turn away someone who puts forth effort to learn, understand, and help the less fortunate.

I'm hoping for #3 too!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Both the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have written excellent books about the closeness between the Jesus and the Buddha messages. My own favourite book on the subject, however, is The Ground We share which is a conversation between Zen Roshi Robert Aitken and Christian Monk Brother David Steindl-Rath.

But I would have a question before any such conversation: if you want to achieve outcome 3, will a theological debate help?

The great strength of the Sally Ann lies in social action. It is here, in the notion of our interbeing, that you may find common ground. And we need that ground so that, should we stray into areas of deep disagreement, we can take refuge where we agree. I'm not sure how trhe SA operates in the US but, over here, I have found that they do not 'blackmail' people into Christianity.

It is also courteous to learn as much as possible about his beliefs and the particular theological stance of the Army.

I am quite certsin that outcome 3 can be achieved. It is the only compassionate outcome and the Noble Eightfold Path does not have to be 'preached', it has to be practised.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    ...If you want to achieve outcome 3, will a theological debate help?

Although I actually enjoy theological discussion, I have zero interest in getting sucked into a debate with Colonel X, for severals reasons:

1) It doesn't get you anywhere and usually just isolates people
    2) I feel no need to justify myself to them
    3) Even though I don't hold to their views, I believe in their right to believe them
    4) Faith is the "raft to get you to the other shore" - a means to an end, so don't get too hung up on it.

BTW, I did lend him the book "Living Buddha, Living Christ", by Thich Nhat Hanh. But thanks Simon for the tip - I'll check out the Ground We Share.
    edited September 2005
    Living in Canada, Magwang, you may have a much better chance of compassionate dialogue than if you lived south of the Lakes!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Magwang, has Colonel X indicated whether he's read the book at all? Might be interesting to find out what he thought of it - which may in turn give you an indication of how he feels in general, and which way any discussion you'd be having with him would turn out....?
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I met with Colonel X for an hour yesterday, and while I cannot disclose the details of our personal conversation, I would like to share with the sangha my experience.

I told him my decision to "disclose" my Buddhist practice was out of respect and I assured him that I would never raise the subject while I am a guest there. I really do want to keep an open mind, and admit that my knowledge of Christianity is too limited to make any definitive decisions yea or nay.

His view is that Buddhist morality is fine and admirable, but it is still imperative to have a relationship with Jesus. Salvation is not possible without that. Since our time was limited, I was reluctant to open up some serious questions I have. I decided to save those hard-hitting questions for a more appropriate time, and after I've had a chance to read some more.

He was very courteous and respectful, it was clear to me that he sees me as mistaken and in need of salvation. I told him there are many other people out there in greater need of salvation, and he said "No there isn't". I am prepared for the fact that I may be in fact mistaken, although my instincts tell me otherwise.

I will keep you posted.
  • edited March 2006
    You're wasting your time.
  • edited March 2006
    Look within your own heart. 'Salvation' is grace, and knows only love...not theology.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    You're wasting your time.
    ::
    Perhaps. But I am involved regardless. I am there in support of my wife. Honestly, if she wasn't a Christian, I would not be there. But since I am, why not try to learn something about how the other half lives?
    edited March 2006
    Magwang...

I don't know if you are aware, but I've been taking a second language. It's call American Genryu. Very difficult because the language is quite small, but when translated into, oh, let's say English - the interpretation is much larger.

So... when someone says "you're wasting your time"

It actually translates to:

I wish you well with your endeavors, but it is my belief that trying to follow the teachings of Buddha and Christ are diametrically(sp?) opposed. When shedding "self", "clingings" ,etc. we would probably find that eventually, we would have to shed Christ.

<hint, hint... ZM...>

Good luck with your pursuit.

-bf
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    ...it is my belief that trying to follow the teachings of Buddha and Christ are diametrically(sp?) opposed. When shedding "self", "clingings" ,etc. we would probably find that eventually, we would have to shed Christ...
    I'm realizing that now. So when attending services with my family, I will put my fingers in my ears and go LAH LAH LAH I'M NOT LISTENING...
    edited March 2006
    You haven't been reading the American Sayings thread, have you?

There is a reason there is a saying that goes...

"That went over like a lead fart in church!"

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    hey all,

This thread is quite interesting, as you may or not know, My wife is Catholic/Christian also and has been on the receiving end of the Salvo's generosity as a poor family/child. I support her in her faith in Christ and her understanding of the Dharma (she's probably more buddhist than me-in some respects).

I tend to look at this discussion with an open heart and mind-I think it is a good thing for us to all look at other interpretations of scriptures whether they be Buddhist, Christian or Islamic for that matter-for our own decision-making process as to which is the "Correct Way" for each of us. I have wanted to discuss many times the understanding that the Mormons have of their "truth" as they see it, But I have been unable to on the occasions that they have decided to knock on our door.

For me, healthy interest in all things-creates a more worldy individual.

Good for you, for doing the good Buddhist/good Christian thing-Supportting your Wife and family-perhaps the feeling may spread worldwide one day...

regards,
    Xray
  • edited March 2006
    You indeed have much more self-control than I do in regards to theological and religious discussions. My inquistive mind has made my sister especially mad when I try to talk philosohphy. I sometimes come accross much more assertive than I would like to. A little debate about the existence of fate/destiny left my sister very angry today.

I do not know if this is just my attachment to disbelief and skepticism or maybe my sister's ignorance of different viewpoints. Perhaps it is a little of both...
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I'd agree with "A bit of both" mainly because i think that's what makes Theological debate/discussion so heated at times.

I'm no Saint either! I learn lessons every day when I talk (sometimes out of turn).

regards,
    Xrayman
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Yo KOB where are you located? Where in Ohio?
  • edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Magwang...

I wish you well with your endeavors, but it is my belief that trying to follow the teachings of Buddha and Christ are diametrically(sp?) opposed. When shedding "self", "clingings" ,etc. we would probably find that eventually, we would have to shed Christ.

<hint, hint... ZM...>

Good luck with your pursuit.

-bf

LOL, nope. I meant that Magwang is wasting time and will achieve and learn absolutely nothing of any real use at all from this.
  • edited March 2006
    Northern Ohio, not far, a bit away from Cleveland.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    My hangout was near the Picker factory (now philips) at Mayfield Heights I think..
    edited March 2006
    LOL, nope. I meant that Magwang is wasting time and will achieve and learn absolutely nothing of any real use at all from this.

I stand corrected ;)

-bf
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2006

I'm not going to discuss my conversations with Colonel X over the internet anymore.

I don't know what God means, but I value Colonel X's friendship and trust.

• edited April 2006
    Magwang,

Good for you! I just wanted to butt to say I applaud your magnanimity in supporting your wife, the wisdom of restraint you show in trying to keep the doctrinal conflict between Buddhism and Christianity a non-issue when visiting their church, your honesty in disclosing your beliefs up front, and most of all your patience and friendliness with Colonel X's proselytizing efforts. I just wanted to encourage you in all those areas, but further in your Buddhist faith and practice as a whole.

in friendliness,
    V.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    * If "Colonel X " is whom I think it is, I trust we're not going to go in for public criticism whilst some mebers are absent and not around to speak on their own behalf..... *
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    federica wrote:
    If "Colonel X " is whom I think it is, I trust we're not going to go in for public criticism whilst some mebers are absent and not around to speak on their own behalf.....

Fede, I'm not sure what you mean by your last post.

...I just wanted to encourage you in all those areas, but further in your Buddhist faith and practice as a whole.

in friendliness,
    V.

Thanks, V!

No disrespect to ZenMonk, but I have very much learned something from this, quite worthwhile. My practise feels stronger because of this.

May the seed of friendship that has been planted here
    bring forth a fruit with a suprising taste, something unexpected:
    that we may see each other in new ways.
    And that this fruit will produce seeds that,
    after we are gone,
    spread around the globe
    in the name of peace.

Amen.

*** Federica, please close this thread. ***
    edited April 2006
    Why?
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2006

I guess the original subject was my experience with the Salvation Army, not a particular individual.

Thanks Fede, you're right.

Leave it open.

• edited April 2006
    Magwang,

If you think you are not wasting your time, then you are not.

Also do not forget the power of the Buddhadharma. While you are not trying to convert them, your accepting, open attitude may speak more loudly to some of the Army folk, than the preachy, narrow views they are used to.

HH the Dalai Lama said Buddhism could learn a great deal from Xtian service groups, like the SA. They are well organized, funded and blessedly practical. We Buddhists have been weak in such basic food, shelter, clothing service for hundreds of years.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I finally told Colonel X about this forum, how good it is, and in particular that I had posted here some info about our past conversations. I told him that I no longer do that (except for this one of course). I felt relieved to tell him, since I felt a little weird about talking online about a friend's conversations behind his back.

This is offiically the last post you will get from me regarding this. Sorry I can't dish, but our friendship means more to me.

edited June 2006
    Magwang wrote:
    I finally told Colonel X about this forum, how good it is, and in particular that I had posted here some info about our past conversations. I told him that I no longer do that (except for this one of course). I felt relieved to tell him, since I felt a little weird about talking online about a friend's conversations behind his back.

This is offiically the last post you will get from me regarding this. Sorry I can't dish, but our friendship means more to me.

*Gassho*, Magwang. This is respectful indeed.

It would be so good if Colonel X would, himself, join us.
    edited June 2006
    Indeed.

How wonderful to see someone using Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Mindfulness, etc. regarding others.

Kudos to you.

-bf