Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

4NT and the scientific method

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Today
I brought this up in another place a while ago. It would seem that the four noble truths can be framed in terms of the scientific method:

The Scientific Method:

1. Define the problem.
2. Formulate a hypothesis.
3. Design an experiment.
4. Test the hypothesis.

The Four Noble Truths:

1. Suffering. (Problem definition.)
2. Origin of suffering. (Hypothesis)
3. End of suffering. (State the experiment)
4. The way to the end of suffering. (The 8FP = conduct the experiment)

Is the epistemic foundation of Buddhism scientific? What do you think? It can also be argued that the four noble truths are patterned after the model of Ayurvedic medicine, which already existed at the time of Siddharta Gautama. The following text is quoted from Tibetan Buddhist medicine and psychiatry by Terry Clifford, page 38-39:

1. Is there a disease, and if so what is it?
2. What is the cause of the disease?
3. Is there a cure for the disease?
4. If the disease is curable, what is the proper treatment?"

Cheers, Thomas

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What is the problem Thomas? What is the disease?

Like when we are sick and tell the doctor: "I have sneezing, blocked throat, stuffy nose, headache, fever, etc," are these the problem or only the outer symptoms???

Similarly, when the Buddha spoke of birth, aging, illness death, sorrow, pain, despair, separation, etc, are these the problem or only the outer symptoms of something much deeper and more subtle???

:confused:
  • edited June 2010
    Dhamma Dhatu, I think that is easy to answer. In both cases, the symptoms are the problems. In both cases, it is not sufficient to address the symptoms. It is necessary to identify and address the causes.

Cheers, Thomas
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Is the epistemic foundation of Buddhism scientific?

No logician here..... but this looks like a kind of hollow idea-balloon. It seems to be asking..... Can the way of knowing, that is Buddhism, be reduced to a scientificness?

I do not see significance in seeing Buddhism as scientific. Not because it is or isn't, but because it is a defining that is not relevant to the actual practice, the doing, the being the practice. The Dharma can also be described in poetic terms, it can be seen in so many ways.

But, others may see it differently.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    1. Define the problem. - It's not a problem. it's a reality.
    2. Formulate a hypothesis. - the 2nd Noble Truth isn't a Hypothesis. It's a clarification
    3. Design an experiment. - an "experiment"...? Don't you mean a 'prescription'?
    4. Test the hypothesis. - you mean, 'apply the cure'.

Your scientific method seems to hinge upon it being a questionable formula. The Four Noble Truths are no such thing.

Anyway, what the heck is it with trying to correlate, connect or relate Buddhism to *something else*?
    What's wrong with leaving a 3000-year-old formula - that has hitherto worked perfectly well - alone?
    Ever heard the term "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."....?

What IS the point of this, exactly?
    edited June 2010
    "'Suffering, as a noble truth, is this.' Such was the vision, the knowledge, the understanding, the finding, the light, that arose in regard to ideas not heard by me before. 'This suffering, as a noble truth, can be diagnosed.' Such was the vision, the knowledge, the understanding, the finding, the light, that arose in regard to ideas not heard by me before. 'This suffering, as a noble truth, has been diagnosed.' Such was the vision, the knowledge, the understanding, the finding, the light, that arose in regard to ideas not heard by me before.

First Sermon

:)
    edited June 2010
    SCIENTIFIC APPROACH

We are all in a situation where we must use a scientific method to solve our problem. We must use a specifically scientific approach, because the methods of philosophy and logic can't solve the problem.There are myriad philosophies concerning everything imaginable, but none of them can solve our problem. Philosophies are very popular with people in today's world, they are fun and interesting, but they don't work. This is why we must turn to a scientific method which can and will solve the problem.

It is now time to recall something about which you've probably already heard: the four noble truths (ariya-sacca). Please reflect upon this most important matter. The four noble truths are Buddhism's scientific principle of the mind. The four noble truths allow us to study the specific problem exactly as it is, without relying on any hypothesis. Most of you are familiar with the standard scientific method in which a hypothesis is proposed, then tested through experimentation. Such hypotheses are merely forms of guessing and estimation. With the ariya-sacca such clumsiness isn't necessary. Reality is experienced and examined directly, rather than through the limitations of hypothesis, predictions, and guestimations.

What, then, are the four noble truths that you must look into? They are:

1) dukkha;
    2) the cause of dukkha;
    3) the quenching of dukkha, through quenching its cause;
    4) there is a way or path that quenches dukkha by ending its cause.

These are the ariya-sacca. They have the features of science, the reasoning of science, and the methodology of science. In short, we apply these truths to real things as they actually happen in life, without using any hypotheses.

Merely reading books won't enable you to do this science. Books lead to more hypotheses, ideas, and opinions. Even in a book about Buddhism, the four noble truths become just more hypotheses. Such is not science, it is only philosophy, which is always inviting us to play around with hypotheses. So we often get stuck in endless circles of suppositions, propositions, and arguments. There is no true Dhamma in that, there is no reality of actually quenched dukkha.

The Scientific Cure of Spiritual Disease

:coffee:
    edited June 2010
    ...the Commentators all called the Buddha the 'Spiritual Doctor' and divided disease into two kinds: that of the body/mind and that of the spirit.

Spiritual Disease refers to the disease that must be treated with Dhamma.

So I would like to make the point that if you are really to understand disease you must make this division: take diseases of the body and of the mind (the mental body) as being both physical disease. As for spiritual disease it is not a disease of the brain or nervous system but is an illness affecting truth­ discerning awareness (satipanna), that which knows our life and the world as they truly are. So it refers to Ignorance or the wrong understanding that springs from ignorance and causes the wrong actions that lead to Dukkha:, even if physically and .mentally we are quite healthy.

When we are suffering from Spiritual Disease with what must we treat it? We must treat it with emptiness. What's more, emptiness (sunnata) is not only the cure of the disease but is also the freedom from disease. There is nothing beyond emptiness.

'Heart-wood from the Bo Tree'

:coffee:
    edited June 2010
    Is the epistemic foundation of Buddhism scientific? What do you think? It can also be argued that the four noble truths are patterned after the model of Ayurvedic medicine, which already existed at the time of Siddharta Gautama. The following text is quoted from Tibetan Buddhist medicine and psychiatry by Terry Clifford, page 38-39:

Cheers, Thomas
    Hi Thomas

I was taught the 4NTs like this.

My view is the scientific or medicinal metaphor applies perfectly.

Often, a 'cosmic' rather than 'diagnostic' approach is taken towards the 4NTs.

I prefer the diagnostic approach.

• edited June 2010
    Buddhism has been called 'a science of the mind'. If I am not mistaken, HH the Dalai Lama has made that statement once. The idea of this thread is then to investigate in how far we can recognise similarities with science in Buddhism. The scientific method does not hinge upon it being a questionable formula; it is an epistemic method that has been used for at least 500 years in Europe. Its details were hammered out in the 20th century by philosophers like Karl Popper and Thomas Kuhn and their forerunners.

Some of the wisdom of the Buddha appears astonishingly modern. For example, the noble eightfold path bears some similarities with modern cognitive therapy. One could even argue that Buddhism has a proto-concept of the subconscious. Obviously, the parallels aren't always clear and hence they are subject to interpretation. This is not an attempt to "fix" the 4NT, but to put them into relation with modern thought. Perhaps the term "diagnostic approach" suggested by Dhamma Dhatu describes it better.

Cheers, Thomas
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    federica wrote: »
    What's wrong with leaving a 3000-year-old formula - that has hitherto worked perfectly well - alone?
    Ever heard the term "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."....?

What IS the point of this, exactly?

I know that this is a refrain that you sing over and again, Fede, but do you really think it an adequate argument? Just because the Buddha's teachings have lasted for 3000 years does not make them any truer than, say, the worship of Osiris (which lasted longer) or, indeed, Jainism or Zoroastrianism which are older.

Westerners, thrust through the educational mincing machine, like to think that "scientific method" is the last word - not a very scientific attitude, don't you think? The basis, of course, usually ignored: it is doubt, doubt at any answer or explanation. It is not surprising that teachers, trying to re-contextualise the Buddha's words for contemporaries, should recast the Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path in scientific terms - not always particularly well.

Both you and I have a great respect for HHDL, and it is worth bearing in mind that he is very encouraging of a scientific approach to the message.

As for whether the First Truth can be called a hypothesis, I have my doubts. It is the preliminary observation of the problem to be addressed. Both Second and Third Truths are hypotheses, which are tested by the Fourth.
    edited June 2010
    So Buddhism can be seen as scientific. There is a scientific angle, among others. That angle is emphasized to give Buddhism credibility in the eyes of people with a Modernist "scientific" world view. There is no other reason to hang on it.
    edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    So Buddhism can be seen as scientific. There is a scientific angle, among others. That angle is emphasized to give Buddhism credibility in the eyes of people with a Modernist "scientific" world view. There is no other reason to hang on it.

The flexibility of the Dharma and its capacity for expression within any myth structure (applying Campbell's concept of myth to 'scientific method' as yet another 'story') is one of its great strengths. To the superstitious, it offers superstitions; to the historian, history; to the philosopher, philosophy; and to the scientist, science. All of these are the masks or disguises that permit it to spread in such diverse cultures.

It is as well to remember that they are only masks.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The flexibility of the Dharma and its capacity for expression within any myth structure (applying Campbell's concept of myth to 'scientific method' as yet another 'story') is one of its great strengths. To the superstitious, it offers superstitions; to the historian, history; to the philosopher, philosophy; and to the scientist, science. All of these are the masks or disguises that permit it to spread in such diverse cultures.

It is as well to remember that they are only masks.

To me it seems they are all fruits of a common seed. I would not call it superstitious, but it might be a mirror that is bringing to the surface the attached qualities of superstition in the practitioner. I would not call it a science, but could bring the attached qualities of scientific method to the surface.

Because the dharma is a simple and direct interpretation of how the world works, other innovations during the development of humankind will naturally follow some of the patterns. They are all related through a common harmony... simple and direct.

I find it interesting how people project and interpret relationships. Its like holding an apple in each hand, but one you call Buddhism and one you call science and then become amazed that they are made of the same stuff. :)

With warmth,

Matt
    edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    .................... the dharma is a simple and direct interpretation of how the world works, ................/quote]

Precisely, Matt: it is an interpretation, a map rather than the territory. In the end, it passes away along with all other interpretations as we experience the Real (whatever that may mean). Shadows on the wall.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I brought this up in another place a while ago. It would seem that the four noble truths can be framed in terms of the scientific method:

The Scientific Method:

1. Define the problem.
    2. Formulate a hypothesis.
    3. Design an experiment.
    4. Test the hypothesis.

The Four Noble Truths:

1. Suffering. (Problem definition.)
    2. Origin of suffering. (Hypothesis)
    3. End of suffering. (State the experiment)
    4. The way to the end of suffering. (The 8FP = conduct the experiment)
    Cheers, Thomas
    So in effect the Dharma came about via a persistent and dedicated period of problem solving by Siddhartha Gautama
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Hi Thomas

I was taught the 4NTs like this.

My view is the scientific or medicinal metaphor applies perfectly.

Often, a 'cosmic' rather than 'diagnostic' approach is taken towards the 4NTs.

I prefer the diagnostic approach.

Well said.
    edited June 2010
    The choice between Cosmic and Diagnostic is not a choice between two views, it is a choice within one. There are other ways of knowing and practicing Buddhism that don't fit into this binary scheme.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I know that this is a refrain that you sing over and again, Fede, but do you really think it an adequate argument? Just because the Buddha's teachings have lasted for 3000 years does not make them any truer than, say, the worship of Osiris (which lasted longer) or, indeed, Jainism or Zoroastrianism which are older.
    That's for people to test for themselves. All I know is that out of the four mentioned, Buddhism does it for me, more than the others do....
    .....It is not surprising that teachers, trying to re-contextualise the Buddha's words for contemporaries, should recast the Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path in scientific terms - not always particularly well.
    Which is why I ask....why bother?
    Both you and I have a great respect for HHDL, and it is worth bearing in mind that he is very encouraging of a scientific approach to the message.
    True 'nuff...but he doesn't necessarily seek to pose the questions of Buddhism in scientific terms. And badly, at that....
    As for whether the First Truth can be called a hypothesis, I have my doubts. It is the preliminary observation of the problem to be addressed. Both Second and Third Truths are hypotheses, which are tested by the Fourth.
    I disagree....
    The second is a clarification of the first, and has not yet been found to be an either inaccurate or dubious clarification.
    The Third is a clear indication to a conclusion.
    The Fourth is the pudding, which we eat as proof.....

In what ways exactly do you see The Second and Third to be 'hypotheses'....?
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited June 2010

Cheers, Thomas
    The teaching of the four noble truths is the way in which the Buddha applied the principle of conditionality to the actual problem of human suffering.
    For instance we should be able to see the principle of conditionality in the formula of the four truths: dukkha arises dependent on the condition of craving, and it ceases with the cessation of just that craving. However, this formula may also derive from Indian medical tradition; the implication is that the Buddha’s Dharma is a medicine to heal the disease of dukkha.
    The first truth states the problem, the disease, the symptom – it is dukkha, all the difficulty, pain and unsatisfactoriness that we experience. The second truth states the origin of dukkha, the diagnosis of it – it is taṇhā or ‘craving’. That is to say, dependent on the condition of craving arises dukkha. But since this dukkha has a condition on which it depends, then with the cessation of that condition, the dukkha will cease. Hence the third truth states the solution or prognosis – that there is a cessation (nirodha) of dukkha. The fourth truth states the cure for dukkha, the way to bring about the cessation of craving – it is the noble eightfold path.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    zidangus wrote: »
    The teaching of the four noble truths is the way in which the Buddha applied the principle of conditionality to the actual problem of human suffering.

Yes, the 4 NT are an application of the general principle of conditionality, which basically says that all phenomena arises and cease in dependence on causes and condition...sounds pretty scientific to me.:)

P