Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

ADHD and meditating

edited June 2010 in Meditation
Does anybody around here have ADHD? If so, how long of a meditation session did you start with? Has dealing with ADHD during sessions gotten easier? (Seriously, I forget that I'm trying to meditate and just get up and go do something else.) Has your attention and concentration gotten better outside of meditation?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Our son has ADHD. Concerta helps and does not impair. "Concentration" style meditation doesn't suit well, but Shikantaza style is going very well. It is a matter of skillful means.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It has been suggested by my sons pediatrician that he may have ADHD (he's only 2 1/2) but also in conversation of mine and my wife's health that there may be a good chance that I have ADHD as well...

I have already booked a CAT Scan of my brain for the middle of next month (This was arranged prior to any mention of ADHD as I have some serious memory issues that just isn't right for a 34 year old... I have been tested in the past for Alzheimer which was ruled out)...

So I am very interested in this thread and will keep tabs on it regularly...

I will speak to my Doctor about possible ADHD after the results of the CAT Scan are in...
  • edited June 2010
    I'll look that style up. Thank you. :) Unfortunately, I've tried all the ADHD medications out there and none completely calm me down. I do still take imipramine, which helps to some extent.

Edit: Good luck Jonathan. I'm going to hope you have ADHD, not something more serious, as it's pretty easy to fix for most people.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Amanda... I never thought I'd hear someone say they hoped someone had ADHD but your reasoning is sound... If it is easily treated for most people than I guess it would be preferable to something else that might not be...
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Meditation isn't a quick fix even for those without ADHD. It's something that must be done again and again over the course of months to have noticeable effect.

I'd guess the process isn't much different, just that you'll need to be even more patient with yourself. :)
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, I didn't think it was a quick fix. I'm not even really expecting it to help me. I just wanted to see if it helped somebody else.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Turns out we all have ADHD to an extent when we sit down on the meditation mat. Meditation is repeatedly "bringing the mind home" as Sogyal Rinpoche put it. While most people in formal sitting meditation won't forget they're meditating to the point that they get up and leave... Everyone does "forget," that is, get unconsciously pulled into thoughts.

Normally when people ask about bringing objects in I would say no, it's not necessary. But things you associate with formal meditation, like incense, singing bowls, etc. might provide you with various censory reminders that will help you learn to redirect your attention. Just an idea.
  • edited June 2010
    I was thinking about that. I've been keeping my eyes shut to turn off visual stimulation. If I put something in front of me to remind me I'm meditating, if I open my eyes, maybe I wouldn't go so far as getting up and walking away.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    There is a book that may be helpful, It is an anthology of writings on Shikantaza called "Just Sitting" compliled by Zen teacher John Daido Loori.

This way of practice involves keeping the eyes open and holding the posture. That is the central point, keeping the body dead still in posture. There is no object that is focused on to the exclusion of anything else, instead the object is the totality of just sitting there. Your job is to hold the posture. Then..you'll find body sensations, breath, external sights and sounds, inner sensations, feelings , racing thoughts... the whole shebang is just there, flapping in the breeze all by itself. Just hold the posture and stay awake. Repeat.

If you can find a teacher it would make a big difference, but you can find help with the posture in that book. My son began with this about a year ago and can now sit firm with some wild distractedness. There is a bigger stillness that opens up, a bigger container.

Anyway I'm going on a bit. If not this approach there will be another that you can work with.
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    i was diagnosed with add a couple of years back. i tried a few different medications and to be honest, nothing helped really and i ended up thinking that add didnt exists or 'my' add didnt exist. i started to meditate seriously for the first time about a month ago but couldnt clear my mind 'at all' while on adderal. i stopped taking medication and am meditating for 15 mins a day and feel calmer than i have done in years. i am still not sure if i have add.
  • edited June 2010
    Richard: Thanks for the book recommendation! I read a little about Shikantaza online and I'm interested.

I'm still thinking of putting something near me to remind me I'm meditating, so I don't just walk away, but maybe I'll put it behind me. I plan on sitting back down as soon as I see it however many times it takes to get up to around 10 minutes.

I'm kind of shy about finding a teacher just yet.

chanratt: I can definitely see Adderall making someone without ADD/ADHD more distracted. Maybe tell your doctor? You could have some other type of issue that is messing with you.

Update: I tried Shikantaza as I understand how to do it, and I sat completely still for ten minutes! :D My e-mail even beeped at me, but I didn't go check it. I didn't even need to go look at the giant lotus I put up on my computer screen behind me.

This is a slightly separate issue, but I don't think it warrants another thread–I'm severely distracted by sounds (coughing, sniffing, clearing throats, tapping, talking, laughing), which wouldn't be so bad, but they make me incredibly angry, too. I'm having some success at tempering the anger by simply observing the sounds and then letting them go. I'm not that good at it yet, but it has made it a little more comfortable to be in public.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    This is a slightly separate issue, but I don't think it warrants another thread–I'm severely distracted by sounds (coughing, sniffing, clearing throats, tapping, talking, laughing), which wouldn't be so bad, but they make me incredibly angry, too. I'm having some success at tempering the anger by simply observing the sounds and then letting them go. I'm not that good at it yet, but it has made it a little more comfortable to be in public.

That's GREAT that you're observing the sounds and letting them go!

Make sure that you observe the anger, too, without denying or pushing it away, and without holding onto it for too long. Observe the anger, let it go. If you're in public, try to take just a couple of minutes alone (I always go to the bathroom when I'm at work and need a "pause") to pause and look at that anger. Find where it's residing in your body. Look at it, notice how it literally feels - a clenching, a pressure on your chest, a hand grasping around your lung, whatever. Keep looking, don't attach, and see if it starts to dissolve at all. If it doesn't, just try to keep exercising compassion. My experiences with dealing with anger have been that as long as I'm regularly "pausing," the anger dissolves after about a minute and a half of attention to it, and I can easily move on.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes when I am in an elevated mood (I am schizoaffective) I will also realize that I am meditating when I have wandered off somewhere else. Its a little discouraging but its a great time to have a light touch and a sense of humor. If my timer is not up a go back to where I was sit down and try again. If timers long since up I try again the next day.

Sometimes in thinking or longing for how things could be we forget that we have an opportunity to practice with them just as they are. By being gentle and easy going we can work on a different area of practice than just the 'not wandering off'..

If I were to try to not wander off I might seriously tie my shoes together while I was meditating or something like that. If it were a persistent problem.
  • edited June 2010
    im sure u can meditate just as well as anyone else

just with your own challenge,like anyone else has their own challenges :)