Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Five precepts modern exegeses

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Today
I've been wondering: five precepts shouldn't be that hard to remember. Compare that to the patimokkha containing 227 (or respectively 331) rules, including some really arcane, such as the ones about travelling with a bikkhuni on a boat: ok when crossing, bad when going downstream, but ok without appointment. Unlike the patimokkha, the difficulty with the five precepts, or rather their traditional phrasing, is that they are somewhat compendious which - although good for easy memorisation- leaves some room for interpretation. This is probably intended, since an overly meticulous phrasing might lead to lengthy texts involving paragraphs about bikkhunis on boats, which would be self-defeating. Still, some people such as myself, occasionally wish for a more fleshed out version, especially an interpretation that has direct relevance to modern life.

Thich Nath Hanh has attempted this by phrasing the so-called "five mindfulness trainings" that are patterned after the first five precepts. I have reproduced them below. I found Thich Nath Hanh's phrasing quite helpful, as it provides not only concrete guidelines, but also offers some reflection on the larger ethical context of the precepts. I haven't come across any comparable "exegesis", at least not within the Theravada tradition, which may well be due to not looking hard enough. So my question is: did you? Are there any adaptations of the five precepts to modern life by contemporary teachers? Comments and suggestions? I'd be interested in hearing them.

Cheers, Thomas
-First Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I am committed to cultivating compassion and learning ways to protect the lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to condone any act of killing in the world, in my thinking, and in my way of life.

-Second Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression, I am committed to cultivate loving kindness and learn ways to work for the well-being of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am committed to practice generosity by sharing my time, energy, and material resources with those who are in real need. I am determined not to steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others. I will respect the property of others, but I will prevent others from profiting from human suffering or the suffering of other species on Earth.

-Third Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long-term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct.

-Fourth Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivate loving speech and deep listening in order to bring joy and happiness to others and relieve others of their suffering. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to learn to speak truthfully, with words that inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to criticise or condemn things of which I am not sure. I will refrain from uttering words that can cause division or discord, or that can cause the family or the community to break. I will make all efforts to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.

-Fifth Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivate good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practising mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I am committed to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being, and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol or any other intoxicant or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain TV programs, magazines, books, films, and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body or my consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society, and future generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion in myself and in society by practising a diet for myself and for society. I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation and for the transformation of society.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I have been using TNH's mnidfulness trainings for some years now and find them powerful and valuable, particularly when I add one word: "my", until I can let go of "my-ness", which happens after a while.
  • edited June 2010
    Truthseeker thanks for sharing.
  • edited June 2010
    Dear Truthseeker,

You might be interested to know that Thich Nhat Hanh has recently revised the Five Mindfulness Trainings. I think they are even better for this day and age:

Reverence For Life

Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I am committed to cultivating the insight of interbeing and compassion and learning ways to protect the lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to support any act of killing in the world, in my thinking, or in my way of life. Seeing that harmful actions arise from anger, fear, greed, and intolerance, which in turn come from dualistic and discriminative thinking, I will cultivate openness, non-discrimination, and non-attachment to views in order to transform violence, fanaticism, and dogmatism in myself and in the world.

True Happiness

Aware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression, I am committed to practicing generosity in my thinking, speaking, and acting. I am determined not to steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others; and I will share my time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need. I will practice looking deeply to see that the happiness and suffering of others are not separate from my own happiness and suffering; that true happiness is not possible without understanding and compassion; and that running after wealth, fame, power and sensual pleasures can bring much suffering and despair. I am aware that happiness depends on my mental attitude and not on external conditions, and that I can live happily in the present moment simply by remembering that I already have more than enough conditions to be happy. I am committed to practicing Right Livelihood so that I can help reduce the suffering of living beings on Earth and reverse the process of global warming.

True Love

Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivating responsibility and learning ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. Knowing that sexual desire is not love, and that sexual activity motivated by craving always harms myself as well as others, I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without true love and a deep, long-term commitment made known to my family and friends. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct. Seeing that body and mind are one, I am committed to learning appropriate ways to take care of my sexual energy and cultivating loving kindness, compassion, joy and inclusiveness – which are the four basic elements of true love – for my greater happiness and the greater happiness of others. Practicing true love, we know that we will continue beautifully into the future.

Loving Speech and Deep Listening

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivating loving speech and compassionate listening in order to relieve suffering and to promote reconciliation and peace in myself and among other people, ethnic and religious groups, and nations. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to speaking truthfully using words that inspire confidence, joy, and hope. When anger is manifesting in me, I am determined not to speak. I will practice mindful breathing and walking in order to recognize and to look deeply into my anger. I know that the roots of anger can be found in my wrong perceptions and lack of understanding of the suffering in myself and in the other person. I will speak and listen in a way that can help myself and the other person to transform suffering and see the way out of difficult situations. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to utter words that can cause division or discord. I will practice Right Diligence to nourish my capacity for understanding, love, joy, and inclusiveness, and gradually transform anger, violence, and fear that lie deep in my consciousness.

Nourishment and Healing

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth.
    <!-- JOM COMMENT START --> <!-- Sharing toolbar --> Kind regards,

Pieter
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you, Pieter. I noticed the phrasing has become more detailed and he even brought global warming into it.

Cheers, Thomas
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think that is a very fine, modern interpretation. There are, however , a few points where I wonder what is meant.. Can someone clarify, maybe?
    I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without true love and a deep, long-term commitment made known to my family and friends.
    Why must family and friends know of the relationship? If it's serious enough, they can hardly not know, but this sounds like a formal declaration must be made.
    And, when humans fall in love they have sex. Even if you are a vigilant Buddhist determined to live by these exact words, you could easily hurt your partner if you said "sorry dear, let's wait a couple of months with the sex" (where I come from at least).
    It simply wouldn't be understood. People would think you were some kind of religious crazy-Joe.
    learning appropriate ways to take care of my sexual energy
    What is "appropriate" ways?
    I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books
    What are these websites, games, programs etc?
    You can assume that the GTA-series of video/computer games would fall under this category, but to be honest I love those games, and I've never been "corrupted" by playing them. It's not like you don't know that it's just pixels on a screen.

I've also always wondered what the deal is about gambling? Is it because it hooks some people, who then play up all their money?
    I like a game of the darts or poker or whatever, playing with one or more friends betting a pizza or some change. I can hardly see the wrong in that. Gambling away your life is such readily perceivable a stupidity, that rules really aren't needed.
    edited June 2010
    I think that is a very fine, modern interpretation. There are, however , a few points where I wonder what is meant.. Can someone clarify, maybe?

Why must family and friends know of the relationship? If it's serious enough, they can hardly not know, but this sounds like a formal declaration must be made.
    And, when humans fall in love they have sex. Even if you are a vigilant Buddhist determined to live by these exact words, you could easily hurt your partner if you said "sorry dear, let's wait a couple of months with the sex" (where I come from at least).
    It simply wouldn't be understood. People would think you were some kind of religious crazy-Joe.

What is "appropriate" ways?

What are these websites, games, programs etc?
    You can assume that the GTA-series of video/computer games would fall under this category, but to be honest I love those games, and I've never been "corrupted" by playing them. It's not like you don't know that it's just pixels on a screen.

I've also always wondered what the deal is about gambling? Is it because it hooks some people, who then play up all their money?
    I like a game of the darts or poker or whatever, playing with one or more friends betting a pizza or some change. I can hardly see the wrong in that. Gambling away your life is such readily perceivable a stupidity, that rules really aren't needed.

On the subject of loving, sexual relationships, if we conceal them (either by commission or by omission) from those around us, we are lying. Not a good or skillful idea.

Gambling: the question is whether it increases or decreases your loving-kindness and focused awareness. This is a matter for your own discernment. If you are able to remain dispassionate while gambling, calm and without adrenaline surges or heart-rate increase, it is probably OK but would it then be fun?
    edited June 2010
    If you are able to remain dispassionate while gambling, calm and without adrenaline surges or heart-rate increase, it is probably OK but would it then be fun?

Oh, but gambling for a pizza or some change isn't enough to make you sweat:) It's just fun and games. I've never had such strong emotions going during a game - I wouldn't dare gamble for amounts like that :)
    edited June 2010
    Oh, but gambling for a pizza or some change isn't enough to make you sweat:) It's just fun and games. I've never had such strong emotions going during a game - I wouldn't dare gamble for amounts like that :)

And are you indifferent to whether you 'win' or 'lose'? Do you try to outdo your friends?
    edited June 2010
    There's no point in playing if you don't do your best (in games where skill is needed).
    That is the case with any game. It does not mean you get angry if you loose :)
    edited June 2010
    We can ask ourselves if a competitive mind leads towards or away from liberation from dukkha.
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes I get the feeling that everything you say in this forum gets over-interpreted.
    I do my best in life's different trials, and then I see how that turns out. If a play a game of trivia, I happen to know most of the answers most of the time - heck, I'm engaged in understanding my world hence I get a lot of knowledge. If I play a game of darts I use my skills to focus and hit the right spot. That's pretty much the whole point of the two game-types. I'm not very competitive, but I enjoy a good game in a nice company and when I do that I do my best as in all things. It doesn't mean I'm not in-the-moment or having a good time. I do MY best, and that can turn out to be very good or not so good. I experience that effort leads to success in games as well as in life.
    Why you would think that has to do with being competitive is on your own account. Maybe you seldom meet a person like I - one who is both doing an effort, and isn't an ass
    at the same time :)
    edited June 2010
    Let me make myself clear, Ficus. I am not saying that you, as an individual engaging in competitive games or sports, are getting something wrong, I am simply asking the question. It arises from a conversation that I had with Tibetan tulku teacher in McLeodGanj. We were having lunch together and there was cricket on the television. Before he came in, the dining room was crowded with young monks cheering India on in their match, which was very exciting. When our guest arrived, the monks quietly sloped off. I asked about this and was told that they should not have been there because sporting competition was considered to be unskillful. I questioned this, citing the extraordinarily vigourous Dharma debate that I had witnessed the previous day, with much stamping and hand clapping. The response was that everyone left such a debate having learned something new or had clear light thrown onto difficult points. "What have you learned that aids you on the Path from watching a sporting match?" he asked.

That is my only question. Each of us will answer it in our own way and according to our own path.

BTW, perhaps you need to find some harder Trivial Pursuit questions LOL.
  • edited June 2010

I understand it in a way that it precludes casual sexual relationships.
    And, when humans fall in love they have sex.

Yes, but romantic love isn't very compatible with the Buddhist path. It's my understanding that the intention behind this phrasing is to "cut down" on romantic relationships.

Of course. But it is considered an unskilful indulgence. GTA has strong elements of crime and violence, so I suppose it doesn't pass.
    I've also always wondered what the deal is about gambling? Is it because it hooks some people, who then play up all their money? I like a game of the darts or poker or whatever, playing with one or more friends betting a pizza or some change. I can hardly see the wrong in that. Gambling away your life is such readily perceivable a stupidity, that rules really aren't needed.

It's probably comparable to drinking alcohol. A little bit doesn't do much harm. Some people handle a glass of wine or two quite well without becoming drunk or heedless. Others have difficulties limiting themselves and lose control. Ultimately, it's better to avoid it, but not everyone is ready and willing to do that.

The phrasing of the precepts according to Thich Nhat Hanh is obviously targeted at people who are fairly serious about renunciation. It's taking the customary interpretation to a higher level.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited June 2010
    And let's not forget that they are the five mindfulness trainings, not the five mindfulness rules or commandments. They all begin with 'being aware of (...) I am committed to...' they make us aware and mindful of the things we do or don't do.

Personally I don't see why you shouldn't play darts or other games and enjoy them, but do so mindfully and be aware of the intention you have (no pictures on the dartboard of your boss or mother-in-law...;-) and whether or not it is you who plays the game and not the game that plays you... (is that grammatically correct? :-)

a lotus for you,

Pieter
    edited June 2010
    Simon:
    Let me make myself clear, Ficus. I am not saying that you, as an individual engaging in competitive games or sports, are getting something wrong, I am simply asking the question.
    Ah, ok - the "you" and "you" problem with American. In my language we have to different words - "man" and "du", "man" being generally speaking and "du" literally "you".
    I think Brittans say "one" and "you", nay? :) Sorry for the misunderstanding.

truthseeker:
    Yes, but romantic love isn't very compatible with the Buddhist path. It's my understanding that the intention behind this phrasing is to "cut down" on romantic relationships.
    Ok, imho a shame, but like Pieter says, it's not exactly rules or commandments. I personally think it's almost impossible to "get it right" the first time without "checking the water".
    Of course. But it is considered an unskilful indulgence. GTA has strong elements of crime and violence, so I suppose it doesn't pass.
    But at least you can play it skillfully (not understood as being the best gangster ;) ) :)
    It's probably comparable to drinking alcohol. A little bit doesn't do much harm. Some people handle a glass of wine or two quite well without becoming drunk or heedless. Others have difficulties limiting themselves and lose control. Ultimately, it's better to avoid it, but not everyone is ready and willing to do that.
    Yea, I personally do not follow this. I don't drink often, but I will eventually..

Pieter:
    And let's not forget that they are the five mindfulness trainings, not the five mindfulness rules or commandments. They all begin with 'being aware of (...) I am committed to...' they make us aware and mindful of the things we do or don't do.

Personally I don't see why you shouldn't play darts or other games and enjoy them, but do so mindfully and be aware of the intention you have (no pictures on the dartboard of your boss or mother-in-law...;-) and whether or not it is you who plays the game and not the game that plays you... (is that grammatically correct? :-)
    Yes, thank you for pointing this out:) it's: "... is you who play ..." if you want it to be totally correct (not that I write flawlessly myself) :)