Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Fundamentalism?

chrispchechrispche Southend on Sea, Essex, UK Explorer
edited July 2010 in Buddhism Today
I wonder is there such a thing as Buddhist Fundamentalism? Why do I ask, cos I can't believe some of the stuff people believe. I'm reading a book at the moment about the brain and how it works. It's about the last 20 years of scientific discovery about how the brain and consciousness works. Guess what, it keep referring to Siddhartha otherwise known as the Buddha. Science is now proving his use of mindfulness and meditation really do affect the brain on a physical level. 2500 years ago this guy was looking into how the brain works. 2500 years on, we are starting to see her was on to something.

The world needs to wise up and be more mindful, before we're all fucked and it's too late. Stop fighting over who is right about that man in the sky that no one has ever seen. Start being mindful now in the present moment and realise that the action you take now effects your future. Stop worrying about the past there is nothing you can do about it.

Lets all pull together and try to awaken and not be so deluded.

By the way the book is, for those who are interested.

Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson PH D.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    If the book is stating the obvious, I'm happy to stay with the obvious.;)

BTW......"we are what we think, all that arises is from our thoughts", is an incorrect and erroneous translation. It's simplified and as such open to argument.....
    The translation in my signature is far more accurate.....
    :D
  • edited June 2010
    I know quite a few fundamentalist Buddhists..........not sure if it is exactly what you are talking about, but they do exist.
  • edited June 2010
    Engyo wrote: »
    I know quite a few fundamentalist Buddhists..........not sure if it is exactly what you are talking about, but they do exist.

They certainly do ! :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    When I hear someone is a fundamentalist buddhist the first thing I think is to wonder if I might be dissapointing them by my imorality or stupidity or something.

I don't think fundamentalism means much.

It could mean being true to a valuable principle. And uholding wisdom teachings. In that sense both Tiger Woods behaviour or Trungpa Rinpoche's could both be attacked but as long as they are upholding the wisdom of the teaching of buddhism then they could be fundamentalists. (though I think Tiger Woods is a great guy and a great golfer I never read his views on buddhism, though of course I wish him well)...

Of course if you meant fundamentalism as an exclusionary term Trungpa and Tiger could be 'excluded' for sinfull behaviour.

I like the first meaning and the second I think its not present in buddhism though of course if you break the rules of a group or sangha you might have to make some kind of reparation. And karmic consquences even the man made (or responsive) variety as well...
  • edited June 2010
    Fundamentalism as in finding the 'core' of Buddhism and leaving out anything beyond the scope of a scientific view of life.....appeals only to those who want exactly that. In fact I'll be honest in saying that this is how I initially viewed Buddhism. What happens though is that when insight is gained, you understand that all of the different schools are actually teaching true things; even those that you don't agree with or think are mystical beliefs. Theravada, Mahayana and Vajrayana are all lock-picks; depending on the individual mind, one may work better than the others. The schism between schools is one of necessity to reach a larger audience, or at least that is how I view it now.

The disharmony here is that the Buddha, and Buddhist monks, express a reality we are blind to in conventional terms & that can only really convey part of this reality. Imagine someone trying to explain to you what an orange tastes like, when you have never eaten one. This will be very difficult, and they will likely have to tell you more about what it is not than what it is; such as how Nirvana is explained. Then being wise guys, they will tell you to go out and pick your own damn orange and taste it. :)

Namaste
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Chris,

For the sake of clarity, it would be helpful if you could give us your definition of "fundamentalist Buddhism".

With Metta,

Guy
  • edited June 2010
    They most certainly do exist.

If e-sangha was still alive, I would have recommended to go and have a look at Buddhist fundamentalism in action, alas, the forum is now defunct. :grin:

Curiously, there are few idea systems spared by fundamentalism. Even idea systems that are reactionary by definition -such as atheism- have managed to spawn fundamentalist groups, such as the Richard Dawkins movement, which one might call fundamaterialism.

Cheers, Thomas
  • chrispchechrispche Southend on Sea, Essex, UK Explorer
    edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Hi Chris,

For the sake of clarity, it would be helpful if you could give us your definition of "fundamentalist Buddhism".

With Metta,

Guy

Someone like me, who just does not have time for other monotheistic religions and there faith doctrine. I feel anger in myself that we are all so deluded and the world fights war in the name of religion and so oo, both past and future.

I believe that Buddhism is the only way. I don't say that on faith or some words in a book. But from the jhana states I have achieved in the past.

So I pity the brainwashed masses.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    chrispche wrote: »
    Someone like me, who just does not have time for other monotheistic religions and there faith doctrine. I feel anger in myself that we are all so deluded and the world fights war in the name of religion and so oo, both past and future.

I believe that Buddhism is the only way. I don't say that on faith or some words in a book. But from the jhana states I have achieved in the past.

So I pity the brainwashed masses.

Its strange to hear such venom dripping from the fingers of someone who has viewed life clearly! It might be time to work on dissolving some of that judgement, friend. It won't get you far.

With love,

Matt
  • edited June 2010
    [insert uncomfortable adjustment of shirt collar here]
    edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Its strange to hear such venom dripping from the fingers of someone who has viewed life clearly! It might be time to work on dissolving some of that judgement, friend. It won't get you far.

With love,

Matt

Yeah maybe it was the Christians that knocked on my door and started, preaching.
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I'm reading a book at the moment about the brain and how it works. It's about the last 20 years of scientific discovery about how the brain and consciousness works. Guess what, it keep referring to Siddhartha otherwise known as the Buddha. Science is now proving his use of mindfulness and meditation really do affect the brain on a physical level. 2500 years ago this guy was looking into how the brain works. 2500 years on, we are starting to see her was on to something.

Dude, that guy is as biased as one can get. His website is one big preaching hall for Buddhism. You should read something by non-Buddhist scientists about how the brain functions - and start out with the basics so you won't get mislead later by fantastic claims made by people with a clear, biased goal.
    The possible cognitive changing effects of meditation is largely accepted within psychology, though. I will not call this man a hoax - I don't think he is. But skepticism must be applied when an author is this happy about his own religion.
    It's not difficult to find "amazing", "scientifically proven" claims within a multitude of religions - often they're made intentionally to support the religion.
  • edited June 2010
    chrispche wrote: »
    I feel anger in myself that we are all so deluded

What a grand contradiction to type out. Perhaps you should print and frame that sentence. What causes anger other than delusion?

Cheers, Thomas
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Fundamentalism is one strain of Christianity and the term can't be applied to other religions except by analogy. There's no fundamentalist Islam, despite with the media tell us, because a Muslim' relationship to his religion is different than a Christian's. Is an Orthodox Jew a fundamentalist? Not in any meaningful sense. Better to use a term that has some meaning, like scriptural literalist, or believer in miracles, or the afterlife. Unless your intention is only to hurl abuse.
  • edited June 2010
    jinzang, the usage of the term fundamentalism as you describe is slightly outdated. While the term has its origin in Christianity and was once used in this narrow context, it is used in a much broader scope these days. It is almost synonymous with dogmatism, but with a more religious connotation. The principle characteristics of fundamentalism are strict adherence to a fixed set of principles and the unwillingness to admit or even consider alternative points of view, thus debate with fundamentalists is often futile. In this sense, the term can be applied not only to any religion, but to any world view. For example, it may be said that since the critics of religion around Dawkins, Hitchens, and others, exhibit the same attitude they themselves have a fundamentalist orientation. Some have called it fundamaterialism.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited June 2010
    What a grand contradiction to type out. Perhaps you should print and frame that sentence. What causes anger other than delusion?

Cheers, Thomas

Well I'm not claiming to be perfect and I know I'm deluded. The anger is at myself as much as it is with other people.

Guess what, I find Metta Bhavana the hardest meditation to do. It's simply to emotional, if that has something to do with me being bi-polar I don't know. What works for me is mindfulness of breathing. It's almost like a comfort blanket, this in it's self is another delusion.

I can only try my friend. That's it.
  • edited June 2010
    They most certainly do exist.

If e-sangha was still alive, I would have recommended to go and have a look at Buddhist fundamentalism in action, alas, the forum is now defunct. :grin:

Cheers, Thomas
    If by fundamentalism you mean actually being conducive to the discussion of authentic Buddhism then you're absolutely right.
  • edited June 2010
    It's about the last 20 years of scientific discovery about how the brain and consciousness works. Guess what, it keep referring to Siddhartha otherwise known as the Buddha.
    Hi Chris,
    How amazing to learnt of this acknowledement!! But sadly, really, it did not have done much work on you yet. Nevermind, it did not enlighten to many as yet, just let go and simultaneously surface your loving kindness until full supremeness take precedent :)
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    jinzang, the usage of the term fundamentalism as you describe is slightly outdated. While the term has its origin in Christianity and was once used in this narrow context, it is used in a much broader scope these days. It is almost synonymous with dogmatism, but with a more religious connotation.

Fundamentalist has become a term to abuse religions one doesn't like, which is why I don't use it. I'd suggest replacing it with dogmatist, literalist, triumphalist, or some other term that carries a definite meaning.
  • edited June 2010
    jinzang wrote: »
    Fundamentalist has become a term to abuse religions one doesn't like, which is why I don't use it. I'd suggest replacing it with dogmatist, literalist, triumphalist, or some other term that carries a definite meaning.

Yes, the term fundamentalist has a pejorative connotation and therefore I would reserve it for besettingly misguided cases, such as the Taliban.

Cheers, Thomas
  • JetsFan366JetsFan366 Explorer
    edited June 2010

If that is the case, then it should not be used to refer to the strain of Christianity you mentioned either.

With regards to the original post and 'shaping up before it's too late', too late for what? Survival? We're all going to die. Before we ruin the world? The world will be consumed by the sun in the end; it is transitory.

In the end, I don't think I have many (any) answers. Answers imply words and words imply thought and thought doesn't get us anywhere. Let's sit instead.

With love -
  • edited June 2010
    Fundamentalism refers to a belief in a strict adherence to a set of basic principles (often religious in nature), sometimes as a reaction to perceived doctrinal compromises with modern social and political life.<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup>
    The term fundamentalism was originally coined to describe a narrowly defined set of beliefs that developed into a movement within the Protestant community of the United States in the early part of the 20th century, and that had its roots in the Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy of that time. Until 1950, there was no entry for fundamentalism in the Oxford English Dictionary<sup id="cite_ref-GIDDINSa_4-0" class="reference">[5]</sup>; the derivative fundamentalist was added only in its second 1989 edition.<sup id="cite_ref-ORIGINOED_5-0" class="reference">[6]</sup>
    The term has since been generalized to mean strong adherence to any set of beliefs in the face of criticism or unpopularity, but has by and large retained religious connotations.<sup id="cite_ref-ORIGINOED_5-1" class="reference">[6]</sup>
    Fundamentalism is commonly used as a pejorative term, particularly when combined with other epithets (as in the phrase "Muslim fundamentalists" and "right-wing/left-wing fundamentalists").<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup> Richard Dawkins has used the term to characterize religious advocates as clinging to a stubborn, entrenched position that defies reasoned argument or contradictory evidence.<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]</sup> Others in turn, such as Christian theologian Alister McGrath, have used the term fundamentalism to characterize atheism as dogmatic.<sup id="cite_ref-McGrath_2007_9-0" class="reference">[10]</sup>

rest of the article is at....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalism
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010

To me dogmatic Buddhism is the attitude that a particular tradition or approach is the only authentic or correct one. In my experience it often results from a lack of exposure to other traditions and approaches.

P
  • edited July 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    Richard Dawkins has used the term to characterize religious advocates as clinging to a stubborn, entrenched position that defies reasoned argument or contradictory evidence. Others in turn, such as Christian theologian Alister McGrath, have used the term fundamentalism to characterize atheism as dogmatic.

What Richard Dawkins and his fellow combatants espouse is more appropriately called fundamaterialism.

:winkc: Cheers, Thomas
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    What Richard Dawkins and his fellow combatants espouse is more appropriately called fundamaterialism.

:winkc: Cheers, Thomas

No, it's just science.:p

P
  • edited July 2010
    You mean scientism!?