Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finding true happiness and how does this work?

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hello everyone,

I hope that being enlightened is really something that reflects what it is that it suggests. How can I become happy until I become enlightened?

Many thanks,
Simon

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Simon,

I love your inquisitiveness! Are you unhappy? You might want to start looking at why you are unhappy, and take it from there. Being skillful with the stuff in our lives typically leads us toward more joy, but it really depends on the conditions in your world at this moment.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited June 2010
    Hi Matt,

I am confused about how the universe interprets my actions. For example, I would consider (should I have structured this universe myself) that eating chocolate and other junk foods would ask the universe to replace that energy with real love, and that taking intoxicating substances would say to the universe "actually I don't want it, take it away" ... I find that neither approach makes any difference.

Do you think that Buddha fasted before he became enlightened to pay for the suffering in the universe that had been created before he became enlightened?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    No.
    The Buddha fasted because he wished to discover whether self-deprivation was a step towards Understanding and eliminating Suffering.
    he discovered it wasn't, which is why he began to eat again, and established The Middle Way.
    Everything in Moderation - Including Moderation.

The Universe doesn't owe you a thing, and you owe the universe nothing.
    The basis of finding True, Inner Happiness, equanimous Joy, deep serenity and Contentment - is to Understand the origin of Suffering, or stress, and the cessation of suffering, or stress.

That's it.
    That's what the Buddha taught, and that's what we all need to learn.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    SimonL wrote: »
    Hi Matt,

I am confused about how the universe interprets my actions. For example, I would consider (should I have structured this universe myself) that eating chocolate and other junk foods would ask the universe to replace that energy with real love, and that taking intoxicating substances would say to the universe "actually I don't want it, take it away" ... I find that neither approach makes any difference.

Do you think that Buddha fasted before he became enlightened to pay for the suffering in the universe that had been created before he became enlightened?

I am a little unsure of what your question is asking. Are you saying that you wish "eating chocolates" would be replaced by "real love" in your universe? I do not think the universe interprets your actions any more than the earth interprets a seed that is planted into it.

I wonder if you are trying to dream of mythic realities, rather than experience the one you have. Would you be more specific as to what you're seeking in this line of questions?

With warmth,

Matt
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hello everyone,

I hope that being enlightened is really something that reflects what it is that it suggests. How can I become happy until I become enlightened?

Many thanks,
    Simon

Everyone is looking for true happiness because of the inherent unsatisfactoriness(dukkha) in life. Most look for this happiness outside not realising that the answer lies within themselves.
    Enlightenment is a state free from wanting and not wanting.

"What kind of a person does Enlightenment produce?"
    Said the Master:
    "To be public-spirited and belong to no party,
    to move without being bound to any given course,
    to take things as they come,
    have no remorse for the past,
    no anxiety for the future,
    to move when pushed,
    to come when dragged,
    to be like a mighty gale,
    like a feather in the wind,
    like weeds floating on a river,
    like a mill-stone meekly grinding,
    to love all creation equally
    as heaven and earth are equal to all
    — such is the product of Enlightenment."
    On hearing these words one of the younger disciples cried, "This sort of teaching is not for the living but for the dead," and walked away, never to return.

Anthony de Mello
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hello everyone,

Many thanks,
    Simon

I don't think one can become truly happy until they become enlightened. Fortunately, enlightenment happens little bit by little bit, and so does the accompanying happiness ... so we don't have to wait for some big "bang" of enlightenment to hit us on the head.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    You just have to learn to be happy with the unhappiness in your life :-)
  • edited June 2010
    "so we don't have to wait for some big "bang" of enlightenment to hit us on the head."

Ha.

Well I see that like that is important, but also like that obviously there doesn't always need to be like that. Sudden would be better I think, perhaps I will redesign some of this "enlightenment" later on...
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you all for these posts. I did notice thought that most folks focused on the second sentence re happiness. But the first sentence: "I hope that being enlightened is really something that reflects what it is that it suggests." is powerful. To me, enlightenment suggests LIGHT, and it makes me happy to think that this body of flesh and bones can transform to pure light.

Love and Light!!!
  • edited June 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    You just have to learn to be happy with the unhappiness in your life :-)

those two are different things.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hello everyone,

Many thanks,
    Simon

You could try helping other people, forgetting about your self for a while, see how that works.

Metta,

Abu
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    bloom wrote: »
    Thank you all for these posts. I did notice thought that most folks focused on the second sentence re happiness. But the first sentence: "I hope that being enlightened is really something that reflects what it is that it suggests." is powerful. To me, enlightenment suggests LIGHT, and it makes me happy to think that this body of flesh and bones can transform to pure light.

Love and Light!!!

Yes indeed, the word "enlightenment" does contain the word "light". But
    I don't think that my Buddhist monk teacher has ever mentioned anything like what you are referring to in the 10+ years I've been taking classes.
  • edited July 2010
    I see. Traditions vary, as teachings do, perhaps you have heard it said "there are 84,000 afflictions, 84,000 teachings, 84,000 Dharma doors?". This notion of pure light can be found in some Tibetan texts too, I think Milarepa speaks of it, some call it "The Rainbow Body", Best wishes on your path.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    The word enlightenment means the end of ignorance. It's a metaphor, wisdom end ignorance just as light ends darkness.
  • edited July 2010
    Are there not "levels" of Enlightenment? I have heard the phrase "Fully Enlightened Being" and "Full Enlightenment." This suggests to me that there must be some "less than full..

Just before Buddhahood one may be on the "Path of No More Learning", yet before entering that path, one may be an enlightened being, yet reside in Nirvana with remainder. What is it that remains? Ignorance?
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Yes, there are different levels of enlightenment, and different explanations of them in the different Buddhist traditions. It would be quite a feat to explain them here and compare / contrast them.

Nirvana with remainder refers to someone who has achieved nirvana (an arhat), but has not yet died. The remainder is the physical body.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    How can I become happy until I become enlightened?

Paradoxically it requires accepting the inevitability of suffering, as described in the First Noble Truth.

P
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    How can I become happy until I become enlightened?
    I think you have to feel like you have a purpose in life, like a mission, and it needs to be clear (and not artificial). With a purpose in mind, life becomes less of a problem and more of a challenge.

If you adopt a broken toy mentality, complaining about what is wrong all the time and forgetting what you can do, you will be pretty much screwed. Many people think like that. Just ask yourself what is easier: naming 5 problems you currently have or 5 things that would make your life fulfilling? Is your mind usually focused on what goes wrong or on what you are trying to accomplish? How many hours of your day are spent idling or complaining instead of building the life you want?
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Nameless, your post sounds like you're suggesting people to build their beings on the ego. That's not a very skillful suggestion imho.

Your life purpose should never be in the future. You don't want get carried away on the path of the ego, which is also pretty much the opposite to Buddhist teachings.

Your purpose of life should be to accept the moment, whatever it brings, in the moment. :)

Whatever you're trying to accomplish in the future, won't bring you the fulfillment you are looking for.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Being,

I think your description of "build their beings on the ego" is mistakenly interpreting the reasons to have purpose or goals for the future. When we plant a seed, we have the hope that it will grow, our mission becomes to furnish the seed with what it needs to grow, and have acceptance that in the present, it is growing exactly on schedule. The purpose feeling doesn't dissolve, but we can see that it is ultimately empty.

When people first start walking the path, their desires for self evolving and enlightenment do pull them out of rutted thinking. Much like a child first learning to walk, they may lean a little too far forward in the beginning, but that's great. They'll balance out eventually, as they practice and become more skillful with their footfalls. The same is true of desires. We may wish too far in the future to see what is present in front of us, but as we become more skillful, we see closer and closer to what is in front of us, and we find we quite naturally don't need to lean.

With warmth,

Matt
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Matt,

I agree with you, but I also believe this does not go for every purpose.
    And this is how I felt, what Nameless was suggesting in his post. To 'think up' some purpose to live for, to feel some fulfillment. I believe that's for the ego.

Even a purpose for enlightenment in the end becomes no purpose. ;)

If one 'creates' some purpose for ones life, one will deal with it with ego and that is why I think it's not a very good suggestion. That which creates the purpose, is the ego. Even for enlightenment.
  • edited July 2010
    Hello everyone,

Many thanks,
    Simon
    Hi Simon,
    Happiness and its opposite are both conditions of mind. Nirvana <s>enlightened</s> is the cessation of all conditions...

Regards
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    When people first start walking the path, their desires for self evolving and enlightenment do pull them out of rutted thinking. Much like a child first learning to walk, they may lean a little too far forward in the beginning, but that's great. They'll balance out eventually, as they practice and become more skillful with their footfalls. The same is true of desires. We may wish too far in the future to see what is present in front of us, but as we become more skillful, we see closer and closer to what is in front of us, and we find we quite naturally don't need to lean.

Yet another great post Matt.