Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

jesus i need YOUR help..like..NOW!!

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm playing this online game right...
And I see a room name (a guy is hosting a game)

and the game name is "Christian Chat"

So i join,
first of all there's these guys who instantly join and start cussing this creator, (creator of the game) out.

lol they are belligerent anti-christians you know, but I'm you know ...neutral/buddhist

so i take it easy and start asking him about christ, god, ETC. we end up chatting in game chat room for....one and a half hours maybe 3 hours?

I was able to profile him as such:
This unsub's between the ages of 14-25,
he's a white male,
his parent were VERY christian and possibly abused him.
his slightly older brother named "DAVID" died at age 14 of cancer,
at the time this unsub was 12-13... which is a possible cause of his fanatical christianity..or religious attachment/fixation

This guy knows the bible..very well..
He absolutely believes that Jesus is the way to heaven, etc,
God is eternal,
sinners go to hell,
he repeats a kind of well versed rhetoric ....you know
but he also leaves a bit of room for his own interpretation..

he does believe that we are all doomed to hell, and only through jesus can we ascend to heaven,

the whole time I gave the impression I was christian.
because I am..in terms of what I agree with philosophically..

Anyway I befriended him, and I think I have a slight influence over this guys religious path,

NOW
I need your help..this will sound terrible, but:

How do I trick him into being a Buddhist
OR
How do I make his fanaticism into a benefit of mankind?

Because..comon...if you are in an old multiplayer game from the 1990's
hosting a game called "christian chat"
trying to find other people whom you can connect with, or...praise jesus with..

isn't that weird? weird enough to warrant immediate psychological aid?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Answer (a) - You don't.
    Answer (b) - You don't.

It isn't your business or job to do either.

For the first, he can only make this decision for himself.
    For the second - he can only do that himself.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    neutral/buddhist
    OR
    Anyway I befriended him, and I think I have a slight influence over this guys religious path,

Lol. His belief in God is so farfetched and yet your belief that you are one is perfectly normal?

And look, Fede still believes your posts are genuine and not just trolling and that you actually come back to read the responses. She has a kind heart huh? :)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited June 2010
    @The found; So, you think it's wierd that a christian would create an on-line chat forum to talk about christianity.... :crazy:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Lol. His belief in God is so farfetched and yet your belief that you are one is perfectly normal?

And look, Fede still believes your posts are genuine and not just trolling and that you actually come back to read the responses. She has a kind heart huh? :)

I bracket him under the same label as another poster.
    Mildly desperate, somewhat lost, mostly posts inane and pointless questions, but at least it gives us something to do.....:lol:
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I bracket him under the same label as another poster.
    Mildly desperate, somewhat lost, mostly posts inane and pointless questions, but at least it gives us something to do.....:lol:
    Who might this be referring to?
    edited June 2010
    I'm keeping that one to myself. ;)
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    OP... As Fede said, "You don't"... The Buddha wouldn't so neither should you...

He is simply following his own finger which points at the moon... Who are you to say if the finger you follow is pointing in a better manner to the truth than his?

I don't believe in Buddhist Evangelism, lets leave that to others... Simply live your Buddhism and be an example to all you come across and if they see something they like it is then up to them to either continue in the same path or look for another...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It seems like christianity was helpful to this person. Perhaps he needs it right now. When it is not working out and he ASKS for help then thats the time.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Never interfere with another's path.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Why don't you mind your own mind. It's hard enough to do surrounded by other Buddhists, impossible if your busy stirring things up with other people. You went to them.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Take a good look in the mirror.
    :)
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I don't often admit this but I once was a fundagelical Christian. I think I liked all the rules because it helped me hold my psychological sense of self together. Fundagelicalism actually gave me a language and a sort of scaffolding to begin to put together a coherent psychological sense of self. Once I developed a less diffuse sense of self I began to loose my need for all the rules and condemnation of others. Then I discovered Thomas Merton, which led me to Thich Naht Hanh. Somewhere in the distance a lotus flower bloomed.
  • edited June 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    OP... As Fede said, "You don't"... The Buddha wouldn't so neither should you...

He is simply following his own finger which points at the moon... Who are you to say if the finger you follow is pointing in a better manner to the truth than his?

I don't believe in Buddhist Evangelism, lets leave that to others... Simply live your Buddhism and be an example to all you come across and if they see something they like it is then up to them to either continue in the same path or look for another...

The Blessed One: "preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"

edited June 2010
    From what I understood the Buddha didn't seek out those to convert, they came to him after hearing of his teachings... but then again, I am not as well read as some...
  • edited June 2010
    The Blessed One: "preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"

Citation?
    edited June 2010

Citation?

Ditto....?
    Sutta source would be more appropriate.
  • edited June 2010

That's just a web page that does not really say where the quote is from. Is this from a sutta? That web address doesn't tell me anything about whether it's an authoritative text or not.
    edited June 2010
    It is from the Book:

BUDDHA, THE GOSPEL

By Paul Carus

Chicago, The Open Court Publishing Company,

[1894]
    edited June 2010
    Trans, we've already spoken about this, and I made it clear:
    You need to provide direct sutta references to quotations you use, because as I pointed out to you, flowery and verbose interpretations are often inaccurate and non-representational.
    Please locate the correct sutta/sutra reference to this paraphrased passage and present it here.
    Many thanks.
    edited June 2010
    That book is not authoritative, and has already been found wanting.
    Where does the book say the quotation is sourced from?
    edited June 2010
    It doesn't as far as I can tell...

Here's the Preface:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/btg/btg01.htm
    edited June 2010
    And this makes my point perfectly:
    the bulk of its contents is derived from the old Buddhist canon. Many passages, and indeed the most important ones, are literally copied in translations from the original texts. Some are rendered rather freely in order to make them intelligible to the present generation; others have been rearranged; and still others are abbreviated.

Not good enough, Transmetaphysical.
    Please refrain from using this as a reliable source of accurate information when discussing what the Buddha is supposed to have taught, from now on.
    If others can and do find Sutta sources and references, I would request you do the same.
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the Reference Trans...

Um... I see you capped "REFUTE THEM" in your signature lines... Refute does not mean to seek out and convert... unless refute has some other definition in Buddhism that I'm not yet aware of...
  • edited June 2010

Um... I see you capped "REFUTE THEM" in your signature lines... Refute does not mean to seek out and convert... unless refute has some other definition in Buddhism that I'm not yet aware of...

My understanding of Mahayana, and more so Vajrayana, is that refutation of incorrect philosophical views within Buddhism is permissible and even encouraged to an extent, but I have never read or heard anything about refuting other religious beliefs outside the context of discussions internal to Buddhism... as Johnathan appears to be pointing out.
  • edited June 2010

No, my sig bolding is not directed at this thread. I am a formal debater and I liked that passage because it made clear to refute false doctrines. I usually get criticized for being argumentative, but i think the passage justifies my tendencies.

Edit: Btw, I have no intention or desire to convert people. I simply like sharing Buddhist philosophy with others.

I don't want the whole world to follow the same path. I like there to be a great diversity of philosophies and as such, I appreciate even the philosophies and religions I disagree with.

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited June 2010
    TheFound wrote: »
    OR

isn't that weird? weird enough to warrant immediate psychological aid?

1. Why would you transform a fanatical christian into a buddhist ?(I want to hear your answer to this one The Found)
    2. You simply direct his fanaticism to that purpose. Make him a true soldier who fights for a noble and just cause.
  • edited June 2010
    My understanding of Mahayana, and more so Vajrayana, is that refutation of incorrect philosophical views within Buddhism is permissible and even encouraged to an extent, but I have never read or heard anything about refuting other religious beliefs outside the context of discussions internal to Buddhism... as Johnathan appears to be pointing out.

The Buddha spent many discourses refuting Hindu Brahman philosophies. Buddha said to refute vain doctrines so I see no reason to think religions were exempt from criticism. I think it is especially other religions that he intended to refute.

I read somewhere that Buddha predicted that new religions would arise and so he made arguments to refute future false religions.

Another reason why I like that quote as well is because other religions say to kill or crusade unbelievers (can be found in Abrahamic texts), whereas Buddhism suggests explaining why theyre wrong as opposed to killing them for disagreeing.

edited June 2010
    Actually, The Buddha didn't say this. It was Mara.
    45. "And again today, Ananda, at the Capala shrine, Mara, the Evil One, approached me, saying: 'Now, O Lord, bhikkhus and bhikkhunis, laymen and laywomen, have come to be true disciples of the Blessed One — wise, well disciplined, apt and learned, preservers of the Dhamma, living according to the Dhamma, abiding in the appropriate conduct, and having learned the Master's word, are able to expound it, preach it, proclaim it, establish it, reveal it, explain it in detail, and make it clear; and when adverse opinions arise, they are now able to refute them thoroughly and well, and to preach this convincing and liberating Dhamma.

"'And now, O Lord, this holy life taught by the Blessed One has become successful, prosperous, far-renowned, popular and widespread, and it is well proclaimed among gods and men. Therefore, O Lord, let the Blessed One come to his final passing away! Let the Happy One utterly pass away! The time has come for the Parinibbana of the Lord.'

46. "And then, Ananda, I answered Mara, the Evil One, saying: 'Do not trouble yourself, Evil One. Before long the Parinibbana of the Tathagata will come about. Three months hence the Tathagata will utterly pass away.'

Putting words in the Buddha's mouth isn't wise.

See?
    If I hadn't laboured the point, we might never had known you misquoted the suttas.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, The Buddha didn't say this. It was Mara.

Putting words in the Buddha's mouth isn't wise.

See?
    If I hadn't laboured the point, we might never had known you misquoted the suttas.

Look carefully.

43. "Then, ânanda, I answered Mara, the Evil One, saying: 'I shall not come to my final passing away, Evil One, until my bhikkhus and bhikkhunis, laymen and laywomen, have come to be true disciples -- wise, well disciplined, apt and learned, preservers of the Dhamma, living according to the Dhamma, abiding by appropriate conduct and, having learned the Master's word, are able to expound it, preach it, proclaim it, establish it, reveal it, explain it in detail, and make it clear; until, when adverse opinions arise, they shall be able to refute them thoroughly and well, and to preach this convincing and liberating Dhamma. "

In 43, Buddha said those words, then, you posted 45 where Mara repeated the words and responded.

edited June 2010
    Actually - Both of them said it!!:lol:

but I don't see anything there about preaching or converting......

Just proclaiming.

I'm going back to study some more!
    edited June 2010
    You see, I am convinced that whilst the Buddha wanted those who learnt to live by the dhamma, to do so wisely and diligently, conversion was never part of the deal.
    ....whatever bhikkhu or bhikkhuni, layman or laywoman, abides by the Dhamma, lives uprightly in the Dhamma, walks in the way of the Dhamma, it is by such a one that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree. Therefore, Ananda, thus should you train yourselves: 'We shall abide by the Dhamma, live uprightly in the Dhamma, walk in the way of the Dhamma.'"

Part 5 verse six.
    TheFound -By all means proclaim, but don't strive to convert or convince.
    let your living be the testimony to your path.

You need to tell him you're Buddhist.
    Otherwise, you're just lying to him.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually - Both of them said it!!:lol:

I'm no sutta expert but I've observed the patterns that when someone speaks, everyone who responds to the words, repeats them before answering them.
    but I don't see anything there about preaching or converting......

Just proclaiming.

Like I said earlier, I don't intend to convert or show that Buddha did either. I intend to debate and would actually be disappointed if i succeeded to convert the other person.

As far as I'm aware, and as the quote suggests, Buddha just wants his teachings preserved, spread, and preached. He probably doesn't care to convert.

edited June 2010
    Like I said earlier, I don't intend to convert or show that Buddha did either. I intend to debate and would actually be disappointed if i succeeded to convert the other person.

I believe that is directed to the OP... not you...
    edited June 2010
    Yes, it was. Apologies - when I edited to insert TheFound's name, I put it in the wrong place. That is now corrected.

Thanks.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »

I also don't see how it is that his posts are not considered trolling. Why do you cut TheFound so much slack Fede and not so much with others? Just curious.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Maybe Fede wants to:

a) trick him into being a Buddhist
    OR
    b) make his fanaticism into a benefit of mankind

Haha, I didn't think about that. Those would be good reasons to keep him around after all those awful posts by him I've read since I joined the forum.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I just deleted my post since I thought it was wrong speech, but you caught me lightwithin. I need to learn to watch what I say BEFORE I say it. :D
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ah it was funny. If that's Wrong Speech then the rest of us are going straight to hell.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I agree. I didn't see it as Wrong Speech so much as Clever Speech.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    You need to tell him you're Buddhist.
    Otherwise, you're just lying to him.
    He's already lying to him. Lol!
    edited June 2010
    I also don't see how it is that his posts are not considered trolling. Why do you cut TheFound so much slack Fede and not so much with others? Just curious.

I understand your curiosity.
    It's hard to explain what motivates a Moderator to let some things slide, and nip some things in the bud.

TheFound is a member with what I would term.... psychological issues.
    I am attempting to be a little... 'lenient' with him, But I will just say that what you see so far of his, is by no means everything he's posted thus far.

See, I got flak when I stomped on an evangelist who became argumentative shortly after he came on forum, and was told I was being too harsh, acting in prejudice and being authoritarian.
    Now if I cut people some slack, people want to know why I'm not stomping on them.
    I can't win.:rolleyes:

Ok, that's it from me.
    Back to topic please.

I wonder if TheFound has succeeded in his trickery, or has sallied forth crucifix in hand, proclaiming Biblical knowledge of epic proportions, having had the tables turned on him.....:D
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The Found

TheFound - YOU did that! Lol :D Oh well, you didn't host the game, but you joined it and connected with the person, and praised Jesus with'em/'er in the old 90'ies multiplayer game :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I understand your curiosity.
    It's hard to explain what motivates a Moderator to let some things slide, and nip some things in the bud.

TheFound is a member with what I would term.... psychological issues.
    I am attempting to be a little... 'lenient' with him, But I will just say that what you see so far of his, is by no means everything he's posted thus far.

See, I got flak when I stomped on an evangelist who became argumentative shortly after he came on forum, and was told I was being too harsh, acting in prejudice and being authoritarian.
    Now if I cut people some slack, people want to know why I'm not stomping on them.
    I can't win.:rolleyes:

Ok, that's it from me.
    Back to topic please.
    It's a very tough job and you do it well. And I know what you mean about TF. I've often found myself wondering why it is that I don't think of him as banning material. Maybe it's his graciousness when being criticized. As you know, I've come out with some pretty harsh and direct responses to some of his posts and I don't treat him gently in general yet he never gets his back up or responds with anything other than good humour. It's an endearing trait.
    I wonder if TheFound has succeeded in his trickery, or has sallied forth crucifix in hand, proclaiming Biblical knowledge of epic proportions, having had the tables turned on him.....:D
    Laughed really loud when I read this. And so hilariously expressed. See, that's why we 'new worlders' love the Brits and their comedy so much. No one can turn an English phrase like the English. Except for maybe the Irish. Or the Scots. Oh, and definitely the Welsh! And the Cornish. Can't forget the Cornish. Anyway, you get the gist. :D