Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the 10 precepts... I'm just curious about somethings

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
  1. ...harming living beings.
  2. ...taking things not freely given.
  3. ...sexual misconduct.
  4. ...false speech.
  5. ...intoxicating drinks and drugs causing heedlessness.
  6. ...taking untimely meals.
  7. ...dancing, singing, music and watching grotesque mime.
  8. ...use of garlands, perfumes and personal adornment.
  9. ...use of high seats.
  10. ...accepting gold or silver.
Okay, I know these are the ten major precepts, and that most lay practitioners only practice the 1st five, but I'm trying to practice them all to the best of my ability, however I have a few issues, and I feel unless I understand I can't convince myself they're worth practicing.

Why are dancing, and singing, looked down upon? I can think of a few reasons but they all seem to cancel out when taken into account with other aspects of Buddhism. I mean, I can see it being an issue in monasteries , but is there a religious or philosophical reason?, or is it solely for order like "taking untimely meals" in regards to eating after noon (which I've read was done because Buddha supposedly didn't eat after noon for his health, advising his monks to do the same).

Also, I've read more in depth about the "use of high seats" and it includes sleeping on overly comfortable beds. But if I wanted to practice, what coud I do? my bed cost parents money (I've had the same bed for a long time) and it feels unfair to them to not make the most of what's been given to me. And if I just stopped using it I'd have to lie to conceal the fact I'm not using it. Not a great lie, but being that lying is as natural as breathing to most it's the one I'm trying to completely overcome

Also, number 8... does that include things like deodorant or only strong scents?

I know these seem like stupid questions, and unlike in other religions these are guidelines not commandments or rules, but I was just wondering what others thought on these minor things.

Also, anyone know of any sites or books that contain all the precepts/virtues/non-virtues? not just the 10? I'd at least like to know them all but can't find them all.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    My understanding is that precepts 6,7,8 and 9 are to help with the restraint of the senses and the consequent arising of desire and clinging. In addition, 9 & 10 are important for the ordained to reduce the risk of believing that one is of higher status than others and clinging to this.

It is very hard for lay people to follow all 10, so kudos for trying to do so!

metta
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The precepts are means to an end, not ends in themselves. They are also phrased in culture-specific ways so that the guidance on dancing, etc. needs to be understood in our own context. We need to ask ourselves in what way we need to be aware of actions within our own culture which obscure Right View which comes first, as the Buddha said. You will notice, for example, that in some Buddhist traditions, the Tibetan for example, an abbot/ess may sit on a high throne. This is not seen as going against the precepts.

Whilst enthusiasm is laudable, it is crucial that we avoid "scruples", over-observance and self-inflicted guilt feelings. This is why the whole list you cite is for monastics: they have teachers and superiors on hand, within their sangha, to moderate behaviour and guard against over-enthusiasm.

I am not clear how old you are or within what occupation you are employed. If you are a minor and are not part of a study and meditation group, it is most inadvisable to subject yourself to discipline inappropriate to your situation.

Once again, as I started, I would repeat that the precepts are only skillful means to aid you on the Noble Eightfold Path. They are not to be followed as a way of increasing dukkha.
  • edited June 2010
    kc39850p wrote: »
    1. ...harming living beings.
    2. ...taking things not freely given.
    3. ...sexual misconduct.
    4. ...false speech.
    5. ...intoxicating drinks and drugs causing heedlessness.
    6. ...taking untimely meals.
    7. ...dancing, singing, music and watching grotesque mime.
    8. ...use of garlands, perfumes and personal adornment.
    9. ...use of high seats.
    10. ...accepting gold or silver.

These are 10 precepts aimed at monastic lifestyle of Theravada school. Mahayanist's 10 precepts are the same from 1 through 5 but 6-10 are general ethical guidance like not having a double tongue and not to gossip.
    By now possibly you have chosen if you prefer Theravada style of Buddhism or Mahayana and which sets of precepts are more helpful to your life.
  • edited June 2010
    I think the question about the origin of these ten precepts needs to be raised for the sake of discussion. We've gotten a question or two lately based on Paul Carus' Buddha, The Gospel (1894), and I'm not sure how authoritative that is. Beyond that, the first reference I found when I did a Google search goes like this:

"The following is an excerpt on Avoiding the Ten Evils from Paul Carus' Buddha, The Gospel (1894):

THE Buddha said: "All acts of living creatures become bad by ten things, and by avoiding the ten things they become good. There are three evils of the body, four evils of the tongue, and three evils of the mind.

"The evils of the body are, murder, theft, and adultery; of the tongue, lying, slander, abuse, and idle talk; of the mind, covetousness, hatred, and error.

"I exhort you to avoid the ten evils: 1. Kill not, but have regard for life. 2. Steal not, neither do ye rob; but help everybody to be master of the fruits of his labor. 3. Abstain from impurity, and lead a life of chastity. 4. Lie not, but be truthful. Speak the truth with discretion, fearlessly and in a loving heart. 5. Invent not evil reports, neither do ye repeat them. Carp not, but look for the good sides of your fellow-beings, so that ye may with sincerity defend them against their enemies. 6. Swear not, but speak decently and with dignity. 7. Waste not the time with gossip, but speak to the purpose or keep silence. 8. Covet not, nor envy, but rejoice at the fortunes of other people. 9. Cleanse your heart of malice and cherish no hatred, not even against your enemies; but embrace all living beings with kindness. 10. Free your mind of ignorance and be anxious to learn the truth, especially in the one thing that is needful, lest you fall a prey either to skepticism or to errors. Skepticism will make you indifferent and errors will lead you astray, so that you shall not find the noble path that leads to life eternal.""

This is not as specific as the listing of the 10 precepts as listed by the OP, so it has me wondering about the correctness of the question itself. This may be an early monastic list rather than something taught by the Buddha himself. I'm counting on the historical types to come along and clarify this for us, and I'm asking the OP to cite source.

I don't think this discussion really goes anywhere until the OP gives us an authoritative source citation. If the question arises from Paul Carus or Osho or someone who is not necessarily authoritative, then it's not a correct question.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The lists of 'precepts' derive from various times that the Buddha taught. For example, you can derive a list from Discourse on the Great Forty (Majjhima Nikaya 117) and I am sure that there are different lists elsewhere. The monastic lineages will have adopted a preferred list but they all have the same objective: to underpin Right View and from there to maintain the practitioner on the Noble Eightfold Path.
  • edited June 2010
    Simonthepilgrim, in regards to the first post, I do know this, but at the same time feel that actively trying to follow them will assist in my understanding of them and their worth in the process. I myself will decide what I do in the end, but I'd like to know the reasoning behind the things I'm learning, otherwise it's just bind faith. So, thank you for explaining. On the otherhand I probably am a little overenthusiastic, but one of the few things in buddhism I do believe in most is appreciating the present, which makes me inclined to do the most I can to further my studies and practices while I have the free time.

What's funny though is that the only one I find really difficult to practice on my own is 7. I've always had my headpohones on, since highschool music's been the one thing that I really enjoy, and giving it up is difficult because it's just natural for me to put on music whenever I need to focus, it's more like white noise than a distraction.

Though I must say 9&10 are also difficult, if only because of the fact I live in an American suburb.

SherabDorje, I don't know the origins, honestly I don't see the need to. I first read them in the Dalai Lama's book "How to Practice", and have read them in numerous books since, though in different forms, which, as Rig pa'i ye shes pointed out is because of the different schools. But again, I don't think it matters.

Rig pa'i ye shes, I'm not a part of either, to be honest I think it's kind of rediculous there are 2 major schools when Buddhism is supposed to be different for everyone depending on the answers they themselves find. I feel like I'm throwing in with the Dalai Lama since I keep quoting him but he said there are as many religions as there are people (The Art of Happiness). I know the history and understand the divide, but I don't care for choosing a school, I'd rather just try everything and figure out what buddhism means for myself, if that makes sense. Also, I feel like if I decided to be Mahayana based on having easier precepts I'd be doing it for the wrong reason.

Thanks for the replies all of you, they were of great help
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Why are dancing, and singing, looked down upon? I can think of a few reasons but they all seem to cancel out when taken into account with other aspects of Buddhism. I mean, I can see it being an issue in monasteries , but is there a religious or philosophical reason?, or is it solely for order like "taking untimely meals" in regards to eating after noon (which I've read was done because Buddha supposedly didn't eat after noon for his health, advising his monks to do the same).

The ten precepts having nothing to do with liking or disliking anything; they're training rules for novice monks and nuns. The extra precepts are simply there to foster a contemplative atmosphere and are designed to be supportive to meditation practice, nothing more. It's simply practical. When you're meditating, the last thing you want is everyone singing, dancing and listening to true Norwegian black metal.

As for the not eating after noon thing, I've read that eating moderately aides in meditation and is meant to help discipline the body and mind, but the training rule itself was mainly instituted to keep monks and nuns from harassing the lay-community for food. Some of them would go for alms early in the morning, eat, and then go back out for more. Also, they'd go out to public alms centres and eat more than one meal, preventing wanders from other sects from receiving anything. There are other reasons as well, and they're detailed in the Patimokkha. The training rule doesn't apply if one is ill, however.
    Also, I've read more in depth about the "use of high seats" and it includes sleeping on overly comfortable beds. But if I wanted to practice, what coud I do? my bed cost parents money (I've had the same bed for a long time) and it feels unfair to them to not make the most of what's been given to me. And if I just stopped using it I'd have to lie to conceal the fact I'm not using it. Not a great lie, but being that lying is as natural as breathing to most it's the one I'm trying to completely overcome

I'd suggest laying this precept aside if you're unable to follow it without making you or your parents feel bad. Since you're not actually ordaining, you don't have to observe all ten. If you're parents bought you a nice bed, I say sleep on it.
    Also, number 8... does that include things like deodorant or only strong scents?

No, I don't think so. This rule mainly applies to scents and heavily scented products used for the purpose of smelling good in order to be more attractive to others, but the Vinaya states that a monk "should be clean, neat, and unostentatious in his appearance, as a reflection of the qualities he is trying to develop in his mind." In the case of a monk "whose body smells bad (in the words of the Commentary, 'with a body odor like that of a horse')," they "may use scented fragrant powders." Since deodorants are essentially preventative and meant to keep one from smelling bad, I don't think it'd constitute a breach of the precept as long as the deodorant itself wasn't used for it's scent.
    I know these seem like stupid questions, and unlike in other religions these are guidelines not commandments or rules, but I was just wondering what others thought on these minor things.

I think it's admirable that you're trying to live a more renunciate lifestyle, just try not to overdo it and get too attached to the rules themselves as that defeats their purpose.
    Also, anyone know of any sites or books that contain all the precepts/virtues/non-virtues? not just the 10? I'd at least like to know them all but can't find them all.

See Buddhist Monastic Code I and II.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Why are dancing, and singing, looked down upon?

I know, its bonkers isn't it. The way I see it is that in some areas the Words of Lord Buddha got added to over the millennia.

As with anything in Dharma, ask yourself, is there a reason explainable by The Four Noble Truths, why you shouldn't dance have or sit in a high seat...

Often some of the claims end up when seen with the light of Dharma as being close to preposterous.

I think a 20th level Ahibdharmaist can see how the single pointedness of the olfactory senseless perception is a distraction from the interwoven chain of dependent arising of aromas. But please don't take my word for that;)
    I know these seem like stupid questions

I don't think so. Its this kind of poking and prodding Buddhism, trying to see if it really makes sense that leads to the essence of Dharma.

Keep on questioning,

namaste
  • edited June 2010
    Jason, thank you for the answers and for the links. Makes more sense when taken in context than when read as just a list. Also, I guess I should relax a bit with the precepts. Especially since one of the first things I learned about Buddhism is not to take any teaching as absolutes. I think I'm still stuck in the christian mentality of rules as opposed to guides even though I know they're not the same. Thanks again.

And thickpaper, likewise thank you for answering, and I'm glad this forum and it's users are so open to questioning. Also, I don't know any 20th level Ahibdharmaists, but if I ever meet one I'll make sure to ask :D.

Really, I think I understand a bit better now, and now that I think about it, though I hate to admit it, my music is a form of tuning out my thoughts, I can see how it's a distraction to my meditation as the time I spend listening to it could probably be better spent, it's just the one thing I find difficulty giving up because I've never once in my life considered my enjoyment of music as negative... Guess I should meditate on it a bit.

Thanks again for the replies.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Also, I don't know any 20th level Ahibdharmaists, but if I ever meet one I'll make sure to ask

With a level 20 you wouldn't need to ask, you would just know. But I guess, at some level, you already know that;)

namaste