Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and pain management

edited June 2010 in Sanghas
I was once on a vacation to Pakistan, at that time i was i had been a buddhist for a few years, with on off meditation and more or less disciplin, and as i was young(still am, 21 now :) ) i was experimenting with alot of things, among them drugs, at one point of my 6-7 month vacation, i decided id dabble a little bit with opium, at that point i had tried many kinds of drugs, and i had always had the principle that i would never let myself become fully addicted, as in not being able to let it go when i chose, that worked pretty well, although i must admit that opium was the drug i had taken the longest time, id take maybe a ricekernel size morning and evening

then came the time for me to return to Denmark, with about a month left, and i decided to go cold turkey, better to be free of the withdrawals before coming home i thought :)

the next few weeks were quiet unpleasant, id have a very heavy body, id have pains all over, id be cold and hot, and my blanket would feel like it was crushing me all the nights i would be kept sleepless by these withdrawals, which i rationed was the universe balancing itself cuz id felt twice as good as a person normally wood while in my high all day...

Some nights i would walk around annoyed, some nights, id have more awareness of my discomfort, and i remember a buddhist quote that said '' this too will pass'' this kind of thoughts along with mantras and chanting buddho till i would be better at actually looking at the discomfort and pain, instead of wishing it not to be there, helped alot and sometimes it would be as if the pain would be totally gone after a while of observing it

this experience showed me first hand that buddhism can practically '' end '' suffering :)

so to anyone out there suffering, u can be free of it :