Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What tradition, and why?

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited July 2010 in Philosophy
What tradition, teacher or approach do you follow, and why?

Me: Therevada with a hint of Zen - I'm drawn to the relative simplicity and the focus on developing insight in the here-and-now.:)

P

Comments

• edited June 2010
    All traditions and none, but that's only because I'm comfortable doing so. I was only a man for a moment, only a Buddhist for a moment, and now I'm just nothing special.

Namaste
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I follow the suttas closely and specifically the things there that are verifiable in this lifetime. The rest is speculative but serves a particular purpose to certain groups of people.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    porpise... I am also drawn to Theravada (so far Thai Forest)... and as for teachers... I like Achaan Chaa (who taught the importance of mindfulness of the here and now above all else... I think you would appreciate his teachings)

Why... well because I spend every moment in the here and now and find little time to meditate otherwise... I would prefer to meditate as often as i can and thus his teachings are best suited for me...

If others could provide names of other Teachers with Mindfulness as their primary meditation I'd be interested...
  • edited June 2010
    Tibetan, primarily modern Nyingma.
    One of my favorite features of the Tibetan Nyingma path is that it doesnt exclude any method of practice. The scriptures and methods of theravada, mahayana, and vajrayana are all appreciated, implemented and taught within this tradition.
    edited June 2010
    just a clarification, I wasn't suggesting I believe Mindfulness Meditation to be the "best" form of meditation or the only one I would choose to employ... It is simply, as a beginner and a father of 2 boys under 6years and, la de da de da... yeah... Mindfulness Meditation I can fit into my schedule everyday, most of the day... I fit other types in when I can... As i progress I am sure I will employ other methods more often... I mostly use anapanasati meditation when I can... and also the first exercise of Vipassana meditation (concentration on the movement of the abdomen during anapanasati and will progress through the exercises in time.)
  • edited June 2010
    I practice Nichiren Buddhism with the Nichiren Shu school. Nichiren practice was my original Dharma Gate; I moved from my original sangha to Nichiren Shu on the basis of both doctrinal and ethical considerations.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    None, because they are all corruptions of the original practice. What tradition was Gautama practicing when he sat down under the Bodhi tree?
  • edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    What tradition was Gautama practicing when he sat down under the Bodhi tree?

One of extraordinary hardship that due to the Buddha's kindness is no longer necessary for us.
    He taught the path of his realization, by doing so he has provided us with "traditions" of methods to follow so we dont have to experience the hardship that he did.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    What tradition was Gautama practicing when he sat down under the Bodhi tree?

Can you tell us?:p

P
    edited June 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    porpise... I am also drawn to Theravada (so far Thai Forest)... and as for teachers... I like Achaan Chaa (who taught the importance of mindfulness of the here and now above all else... I think you would appreciate his teachings)

Why... well because I spend every moment in the here and now and find little time to meditate otherwise... I would prefer to meditate as often as i can and thus his teachings are best suited for me...

If others could provide names of other Teachers with Mindfulness as their primary meditation I'd be interested...

Yes, I like Ajahn Chah, also Ajahn Sumedho. I did some time with Tich Naht Han who also has a strong focus on mindfulness in the here and now.
    :)
    P
    edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    I follow the suttas closely and specifically the things there that are verifiable in this lifetime. The rest is speculative but serves a particular purpose to certain groups of people.

Can you say what kind of practice you do?

P
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    Can you tell us?:p
    None. Remember, he was repudiated by his fellow practitioners at the time.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Can you say what kind of practice you do?

P

I already explained this in another thread I guess. If you are asking if I follow a particular school well then I would say Theravada. I find Bhikku Buddhadasa's essays a good read if you don't want to dig into suttas as you say
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Having said that I always think going by what is verifiable is always the best approach. As it happens, the core Buddhist teachings are verifiable to the average human being in this lifetime. That is why the core Buddhist doctrines have so much significance because you don't have to blindly believe in speculative theories or wait till you die to reap the highest fruits of the Buddhist path.
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited June 2010

Me: Therevada with a hint of Zen - I'm drawn to the relative simplicity and the focus on developing insight in the here-and-now.:)

P
    Tibetan Gelugpa. That and Shambhala are the only practices available in my area, and Gelugpa seems a better fit for me. I'm drawn to and curious about Zen and Theravada, but there are no teachers nearby.
  • edited June 2010
    Theravadan - it is the only hermitage in our area and the first that I visited. I immediately felt very comfortable and the more I learned, the more I liked it. I also find some aspects of Tibetan Buddhism difficult - the culture is so different. I do however read and study books written by Tibetan and Zen Buddhists, and have tremendous respect for all traditions and teachers. If I ever had the chance to ordain it would be into the Thai forest tradition - but that will have to wait for another lifetime and a different sex!
    Metta
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    If I ever had the chance to ordain it would be into the Thai forest tradition

One more vote for the Thai forest tradition
    edited June 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    Tibetan Gelugpa. That and Shambhala are the only practices available in my area, and Gelugpa seems a better fit for me. I'm drawn to and curious about Zen and Theravada, but there are no teachers nearby.

There are many teachings at your disposal online... watching a Dharma talk or listening to one is just as good as being there... only thing is you can't ask questions... I find this site good for that...
    edited June 2010
    If I ever had the chance to ordain it would be into the Thai forest tradition - but that will have to wait for another lifetime and a different sex!

That is a shame... hopefully that will someday change... :(
  • edited June 2010
    I'm a new practitioner who's old to the philosophies from an academic standpoint. I don't have a specific sect but seem to favor Hīnayāna ideas, for instance I don't believe a large group of people following one is as effective as each his own, studying and learning in ones own way. But I don't believe any system is absolute, and that my way would be different from any one particular schools.

My favorite teacher is His Holiness the Dalai Lama, though I am no more influenced by Tibetan Buddhist than any other kind.
  • edited June 2010
    kc39850p wrote: »
    I don't have a specific sect but seem to favor Hīnayāna ideas.
    Hinayana is a pejorative term used to designate an "inferior" view or path of an individual. It has often been (mistakenly) used to refer to what is now called Theravada.
    I dont think you favor Hinayana, perhaps you mean you are more interested in Theravada? The solitary path is the pratyekabuddhayana and its not really a viable path for most new practitioners.
    edited June 2010
    Also, Hinayana, was not about seeking an individual path but a path based on the individual attaining Nirvana, as opposed to seeking an end to suffering for all beings...
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2010
    For those of us who are not entirely Buddhist in the first place, an alternate question might be:
    "What Kind of Buddhist are you?" (rather than merely inquiring about the tradition we most respect)

It seems to me that asking why one adheres to a certain tradition presupposes that there is a good reason. May I suggest that often the only "reason" is one of chance encounter with a Buddhist group or cultivation by friends or family? In other words, it need not be due to rejecting other trends or traditions.

And if that be the case, one may very well have travelled only one small dot of his desired territory.
  • edited June 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    For those of us who are not entirely Buddhist in the first place, an alternate question might be:
    "What Kind of Buddhist are you?" (rather than merely inquiring about the tradition we most respect)

It seems to me that asking why one adheres to a certain tradition presupposes that there is a good reason. May I suggest that often the only "reason" is one of chance encounter with a Buddhist group or cultivation by friends or family? In other words, it need not be due to rejecting other trends or traditions.

And if that be the case, one may very well have travelled only one small dot of his desired territory.
    Excellent points.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe, there is to much debate over the use of terms, Hinayana being used by some to denote early buddhist schools confuses me and I know there's debate as to the actual relationship between Theravada and Hinayana. I take it's literal meaning of small vehicle in that my first priority in learning buddhism is the bettering and developing of the self, seeing the cessation of suffering of others a natural byproduct of sorts when ones self is more developed and inclined to doing right. If I'm misusing the term I apologize.

As for pratyekabuddhayana, I find it interesting but know that I would be unable to get far to start without teachers. More so I think teachers are a jumping off point, but the individual has to perfect their own wisdom. Like right now I'm here online because I'm looking for information, however how I interpret that information is not going to be the same as others, and similarly that information will help but eventually I will come to my own conclusions on how I will utilize it. I'm not good with terminology. I've been studying Buddhist philosophy for years but am not good with the language, never saw it as that significant, so again if I'm misusing terminology I apologize.
  • edited June 2010
    kc39850p wrote: »
    Maybe, there is to much debate over the use of terms, Hinayana being used by some to denote early buddhist schools confuses me and I know there's debate as to the actual relationship between Theravada and Hinayana. I take it's literal meaning of small vehicle in that my first priority in learning buddhism is the bettering and developing of the self, seeing the cessation of suffering of others a natural byproduct of sorts when ones self is more developed and inclined to doing right. If I'm misusing the term I apologize.

As for pratyekabuddhayana, I find it interesting but know that I would be unable to get far to start without teachers. More so I think teachers are a jumping off point, but the individual has to perfect their own wisdom. Like right now I'm here online because I'm looking for information, however how I interpret that information is not going to be the same as others, and similarly that information will help but eventually I will come to my own conclusions on how I will utilize it. I'm not good with terminology. I've been studying Buddhist philosophy for years but am not good with the language, never saw it as that significant, so again if I'm misusing terminology I apologize.

Its important to understand terms, especially contentious ones like hinayana.
    It seems to me that you have a pretty good mindset for getting started on the path. Stick with it.
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks, I'll start studying terms as well.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010

Settling into a path can be the end result of long exploration looking for a deep affinity. The main traditions of Buddhism, and teachers, are not hard to find.
    edited June 2010
    OK. But if the answer to "What kind of Buddhist are you?" is honestly a "closed-minded one," then I suggest that's not really too desirable.

As a Vedantist, I don't get into all these arguments that so many Buddhists seem to get such a charge from. Does that make me a "bad" Buddhist? I count meself as a wee Buddhist because I follow according to my ability and hold the Buddha and his teachings in high esteem. Or would that make me a would-be Buddhist?

I know some people on this site who regard Buddhism as the only yardstick against which anything MAY be measured, though, and I take them as fools...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In point of fact, when some people on this site quote suttas, those lines bore me beyond belief with their repetitiveness. However, Bhikkhu Samahita's Daily Dhamma Drops presents them with such beauty that I am not so bothered. Is it his school of Buddhism (and I don't have a clue what that might be) or something else?
    edited June 2010
    OK. But if the answer to "What kind of Buddhist are you?" is honestly a "closed-minded one," then I suggest that's not really too desirable.?
    Following a particular tradition does not equal being closed minded. There are pan-spiritual types who are closed-minded in their own way. We can close around any view. Sectarianism sucks for sure.
    As a Vedantist, I don't get into all these arguments that so many Buddhists seem to get such a charge from. Does that make me a "bad" Buddhist? I count meself as a wee Buddhist because I follow according to my ability and hold the Buddha and his teachings in high esteem. Or would that make me a would-be Buddhist??
    It would make you a Vedantist (love Jean Klein BTW) who counts himself as a wee Buddhist.

I know some people on this site who regard Buddhism as the only yardstick against which anything MAY be measured, though, and I take them as fools...?
    Is that how you measure them, as fools? It's a Buddhist site, no doubt if it was a Vedanta site you would find Vedantists collapsing Buddhism into a Vedantist's understanding.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    In point of fact, when some people on this site quote suttas, those lines bore me beyond belief with their repetitiveness.?
    yeah.
    However, Bhikkhu Samahita's Daily Dhamma Drops presents them with such beauty that I am not so bothered. Is it his school of Buddhism (and I don't have a clue what that might be) or something else?
    He is Theravadin, but there are eloquent people in all schools.
  • edited June 2010

Previously Vajrayana until I discovered the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition. Why? because it resonated with me more.

I also started to read the Pali Canon to find out what the Buddha himself said - rather than just accept what other people said about his teachings.

edited June 2010

Actually the OP question was designed to be open and inclusive:

"What tradition, teacher or approach do you follow, and why?"

P
    edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    One more vote for the Thai forest tradition

They talk a lot of sense. :)

P
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Zen, because all of the other traditions I have found to contain "too much talking, philosophizing, thinking, etc." For example, one can understand what emptiness is according to what the Buddha taught from reading, analyzing, debating the Sutras, etc. But if one does not become empty, then what good is it?
    edited June 2010
    Actually the OP question was designed to be open and inclusive:

"What tradition, teacher or approach do you follow, and why?"

P

OK, I follow reasonable, open-minded, and friendly approaches, purpoisely interested! Thanks for asking!

However, I still find the why part a little cumbersome. My only hope is that most would say they followed their heart. But that's not rational, is it? Is it?

Richard:

I never said nor meant to imply that following a particular path or tradition equals having a closed mind. I only stipulated that that was a danger to be avoided.

As for the fools on NewBuddhist, perhaps I misspoke. I meant crazies. I mean, if someone does not even countenance speaking of human rights because "it is an obstacle to the spiritual path to identify oneself" with such things, I believe they are guilty of some flagrant disproportionality. Not only can these "crazies" not think out of the box, but they also seem to gloss over what others have to say without taking in a thing.

As for respecting the traditions of others, which I believe is of paramount importance, can it be doubted that our own tradition's baggage sometimes gets in the way? I remember how put off my Father (an Episcopal Priest) and I were at the last Snowmass Conference he attended. One of the Native American representatives* declared that the words of Jesus were not germane in any discussions we had. Well, he seems to have missed the boat on that one if he claimed to be interested in interreligious dialogue, since the words and life of Jesus is the bedrock of the Christian tradition. The fact that that Native American had authentic experiences with living shamans in his mind discounted any experiences we may have had. This is just an example of how our traditions can get in the way of our coming to a fuller encounter with truth or with one another.

* The representative said that Jesus lived too long ago and that we were too removed in time from him to understand his teaching in an authentic way. Whereas he (himself) had had recent legitimizing, as it were, experience of his own, first-hand, impeccable and true...
    edited June 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    There are many teachings at your disposal online... watching a Dharma talk or listening to one is just as good as being there... only thing is you can't ask questions... I find this site good for that...

I'm in a bit of a quandry about this one. For example, I'm reading a book by Ken McLeod (who seems well respected on this forum) which states very clearly that a teacher is required to find your way on the path. I haven't read deeply enough into the book to get the full justification for this argument. Anyone have a counter-argument they'd like to share?
  • edited June 2010
    The Buddha didn't have a teacher - and he taught that he is not exceptional - we are all capable of his achievement.

A teacher may speed things up however, and save all the 'wrong turns' that the Buddha himself made in his search.

Metta
  • edited June 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a quandry about this one. For example, I'm reading a book by Ken McLeod (who seems well respected on this forum) which states very clearly that a teacher is required to find your way on the path. I haven't read deeply enough into the book to get the full justification for this argument. Anyone have a counter-argument they'd like to share?

Teachers vary a lot and its important to investigate carefully because some have adoring students and a lot of hype around them and its easy to get sucked into it all with the 'feel good' group mindset.

Take your time. :)

edited June 2010
    I never said nor meant to imply that following a particular path or tradition equals having a closed mind. I only stipulated that that was a danger to be avoided....
    OK
    As for the fools on NewBuddhist, perhaps I misspoke. I meant crazies. I mean, if someone does not even countenance speaking of human rights because "it is an obstacle to the spiritual path to identify oneself" with such things, I believe they are guilty of some flagrant disproportionality.....
    That's pretty crazy, and in my view an off the wall interpretation...
    they also seem to gloss over what others have to say without taking in a thing .
    Have you been talking to my wife?
    As for respecting the traditions of others, which I believe is of paramount importance, can it be doubted that our own tradition's baggage sometimes gets in the way? ...
    They can, but I believe that if you are truly practicing in your own tradition, you will respect the traditions of others. Unless your traditions has a zero sum view of religion.
  • edited June 2010
    The Buddha didn't have a teacher - and he taught that he is not exceptional - we are all capable of his achievement.

A teacher may speed things up however, and save all the 'wrong turns' that the Buddha himself made in his search.

Metta

The Buddha had many teachers.
    edited June 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Teachers vary a lot and its important to investigate carefully because some have adoring students and a lot of hype around them and its easy to get sucked into it all with the 'feel good' group mindset.

Take your time. :)
    Sound advice...but I have been taking my time. I've spent over a year observing the local Gelugpa teacher and I'm satisfied that the teachings he gives (the public ones, anyway) reflect the Dharma, at least as well as I can judge. I don't get any "cult of personality" vibe from the Sangha or his students, though they are enthusiastic. He seems like a solid teacher, with a resume to back it up, and seems to be the best option inside a 100 mile radius. I just wish his tradition resonated with me more.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I am in a bit of a similar situation. I love the writings and teaching of the Thai Forest Tradition, unfortuantely the closest place for me to go is about 5 hours drive from me. I still plan on going down there and taking the five precepts in August (I originally planned on going in June but had to work. I didn't want to lie and call in sick so I could go take the precepts:p) So I am a bit stuck. The closest group to me is a mere 16 miles from me, in the Tibetan Nyingma tradition. In fact just yesterday I spent some time with one of the their Lama's, she was wonderful, took a lot of time and answered many of my questions. I find Tibetan Buddhism to be an inspiring and beautiful tradition (in all of its forms the Dharma is beautiful) and I found it wonderful connecting to a teacher. So what to do? Ajahn Brahm style meditation, practicing mindfulness and compassion and tossing in (for now) some Tibetan Mantra practice.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • edited June 2010
    You don't actually have to take part in any ritual; it doesn't make you more or less of a Buddhist to take the precepts at a monastery. It's all about the internal commitment. If you want the ritual, but can't make the drive.....step back and ask yourself why you want the ritual. Cut out the desire at its source by understanding what your motivation for it is, and your dukkha in not being able to get to the monastery will fade.

Namaste
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Javelin wrote: »
    You don't actually have to take part in any ritual; it doesn't make you more or less of a Buddhist to take the precepts at a monastery. It's all about the internal commitment. If you want the ritual, but can't make the drive.....step back and ask yourself why you want the ritual. Cut out the desire at its source by understanding what your motivation for it is, and your dukkha in not being able to get to the monastery will fade.

Namaste
    The ritual was not necessarily needed, it was for me finding a Sangha and having a commitment to that Sangha. It wasn't just taking precepts, it's part of a layman's program they have. I was commenting as I find myself in a similar situation as others have posted. For me that Sangha I wanted to be a part of is 5 hours away and this Tibetan Sangha is 20 minutes away. Maybe my need for a Sangha is not necessary, I just cannot help but feel that being part of a Sangha would be beneficial to me. I live in the forests, about an hour west of Redding in northern California, not too much around. I was surpised to find out there was a group quite close to me. I am not gonna rush anything, I will take my time and continue on the path.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • edited June 2010
    I am in a bit of a similar situation. I love the writings and teaching of the Thai Forest Tradition, unfortuantely the closest place for me to go is about 5 hours drive from me. I still plan on going down there and taking the five precepts in August (I originally planned on going in June but had to work. I didn't want to lie and call in sick so I could go take the precepts:p) So I am a bit stuck. The closest group to me is a mere 16 miles from me, in the Tibetan Nyingma tradition. In fact just yesterday I spent some time with one of the their Lama's, she was wonderful, took a lot of time and answered many of my questions. I find Tibetan Buddhism to be an inspiring and beautiful tradition (in all of its forms the Dharma is beautiful) and I found it wonderful connecting to a teacher. So what to do? Ajahn Brahm style meditation, practicing mindfulness and compassion and tossing in (for now) some Tibetan Mantra practice.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
    Mindfulness and compassion meditation are just as important in the Tibetan tradition.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    You could say the shambala sort of teachings which is more recognizable, but I am not sure my teacher is actually associated with those although she was closely associated with Trungpa rinpoche. My teacher is lama Shenpen Hookham and I appreciate her way of teaching meditation and emptiness because it feels very good and has opened a door to a fresher brighter vaster way of looking at things for me. I also enjoy reading and listening to Pema Chodron and Trungpa Rinpoche and Rigdzin Shikpo.

It happened because I discovered Shenpen Hookham's website and I gave her course a try.
  • edited June 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Zen, because all of the other traditions I have found to contain "too much talking, philosophizing, thinking, etc." For example, one can understand what emptiness is according to what the Buddha taught from reading, analyzing, debating the Sutras, etc. But if one does not become empty, then what good is it?
    Hi, Seeker -

Maybe I'm confused; I thought the Buddha's original goal was the eradication of suffering, and not becoming empty. Is becoming empty the end goal of practice or is the achievement of enlightenment the end goal of practice?
  • edited June 2010
    Engyo wrote: »
    Hi, Seeker -

Maybe I'm confused; I thought the Buddha's original goal was the eradication of suffering, and not becoming empty. Is becoming empty the end goal of practice or is the achievement of enlightenment the end goal of practice?
    Also, how does one "become empty"?
    If individuals and phenomena are by nature empty, how does one "become" what one already is?
    This must be some kind of koan.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I am Jodo Shinshu (Japanese Pure Land) but I came to it by way of Soto Zen, and Thich Nhat Hanh.
    By that I mean I started studying Soto, then discovered TNH's writtings. In a mindfulness bell article TNH suggested it was a good idea to find a Sangha, even if it isn't a "perfect" Sangha.
    There is a Jodo Shinshu Temple where I live so I began attending. That was 15 + years ago.

As to the why...I love the Nembutsu and feel like it is a beautiful summary of Buddhist practice.."I take refuge in perfectly awakened infinite light and life."
    I love that I can recite the nembutsu any time any where, so the fruit of meditation is available to me all the time.
    I take Amida as a symbol of enlightenment/suchness and the Pure Land as a symbol of Nirvana. I cannot speak for others of course, but I think the symbolic interpretation is the most common one in Jodo Shinshu.
    I also love that the focus on "other power" eliminates the ego and the problem of pride creeping into one's practice.

Another extremely important part of why...in fact the most important part of why, is the beautiful people I have met at the Temple. Almost all are elderly Japanese-Canadians, and most are far from being Buddhist scholars. However they LIVE the teaching in their words and actions. They are incredibly kind and humble and genuine.
    I learn more about being a Buddhist from these people just being themselves then I could ever learn from intellectual discussions.
    edited June 2010
    Also, how does one "become empty"?
    Its impossible.