Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I want too.... but I'm scurred Dx

edited June 2010 in Arts & Writings
Ok so I have a ten pound block of clay that I bought for an English project a while back. I used half of it and still have about five pounds left (give or take.) Now I've done some sketches in the past that I really thought were beautiful and I felt some calm in the process. I really think this is because the subject of the drawings was the Holy One. I would like sculpt Him in the left over clay that I have but I'm a bit scared. If He doesn't turn out right I would feel like I did something disrespectful and I also probably wouldn't want to keep it.
So mainly I'm asking:
Is it wrong for me to feel that way?
And does anyone have any tips on making a good Buddha Statue? :lol:

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Ask yourself who would be harmed by this potential disrespect. The Buddha himself? No, he will never know of your statue. Other people that see the statue? Maybe, but would that really be your fault? Will you be harmed? Not if you can embrace that your intentions are pure and you're not hurting anyone, just attempting a nice art project. If you don't like how it turns out and don't want to keep it, that's fine too. It's all good. :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think that carving away all of the inappropriate clay from the block-that-will-be-buddha could be quite a fun lesson in letting go. The first scrapings would be those extra capital letters. :)

With warmth,

Matt