Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The suffering of discontent

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited July 2010 in Philosophy
I notice that there is quite a lot of suffering that arises from discontent, which I think stems from a desire for things to be different, an unwilingness to accept things as they are. This applies at many levels.

Is this something you have experienced, and if so how do you deal with it?

P

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    a desire for things to be different,
    It could be said this is suffering, wanting this moment to be other than it is.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010

The way I look at it, is that suffering is like the vibrations I hear from a gong or bell. My desire bashes up against the still metal plate, and I feel the suffering as it vibrates. If I want the suffering to stop, I examine where, in my present moment, I am trying to force the world to be different than it is, and stop doing that. Then, shortly, the gong stops ringing and I can see again... imagine that!

With warmth,

Matt
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Dear Porpoise, you have a mind like a sieve, you read about this quite recently:
    http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/documents/the_way_it_is/07twi.html

:lol:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    It could be said this is suffering, wanting this moment to be other than it is.

Yes, it does seem like that - emphasising the importance of cultivating acceptance and contentment.

P
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    We want thing ... we get another.

I remember Sharon Salzberg writing about watching the Dalai Lama being interviewed on TV. He talked about a tour he'd taken of a Catholic monastery that supported itself by making cheese and fruitcake. They had given him a piece of cheese to sample. But, he explained to the interviewer, he'd really wanted the fruitcake. When he got to this point in his story, he broke out into laughter.

We should all be so amused by ourselves! And, one day, we will.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010

P

Breathe in, Breathe out, Breathe in, Breathe out

x 5,000,000,000

:)
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not an Buddhist, leave alone experienced Buddhist, but doesn't discontent relate with delusion? I mean, logics usually offer you the "natural" answer for things which do not work the way you want them to work. There's a sequence. An harmonic sequence, which does not necessarily relate with your personal sense of harmony, but with your grasp of reality. The more aware you are of the differences between you and the rest of the world the less upset you'll feel.

A lover of meat will offer you meat.

october1560
  • edited July 2010
    It has been said.....

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results." :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2010
    "Into my heart an air that kills
    From yon far country blows:
    What are those blue remembered hills,
    What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
    I see it shining plain,
    The happy highways where I went
    And cannot come again."
    Housman

• edited July 2010
    discontent ? is that aversion, if so aversion comes from the presupposition of pleasure and (my) frusteration at not acheiving it. Meditation on the breath is the best way. Knowledge such as discursive analysis without calm stability will just create more attachement to other things, albiet knowledge. This is my difficulty. I used to stare at a wall and thought i was getting advanced then i thought again.