Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The differences between ....

zider_redzider_red Explorer
edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
...the Tibetan schools, especially Sakya & Gelug.

Hi all,
I'm having trouble getting my head around just what the differences between the various schools actually is. I'm especially interested in finding out more about the different perspectives and practices of the Sakya & Gelugpa traditions, as these are the schools of the 2 centers I attend for meditation classes at the moment.
many thanks
Jason

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Very briefly- the general consensus is that Gelug has an ever-so-slightly increased emphasis on intellectual pursuits as opposed to the other three schools, which have an ever-so-slightly increased emphasis on meditation over intellectual pursuits. These distinctions are apparently minor, since both emphasize intellectual pursuits and meditation, but Gelug is thought to emphasize intellectual pursuits somewhat more than the other schools, this distinction is made.

If you look at the "Emptiness Thread" over in the "Experienced" section, you will see a discussion that is pretty typical of Gelug (although I could be wrong about that).

What I mean to say is that Gelug sees intellectual/philosophical analysis of topics like emptiness as a valid way to approach the realization of emptiness when coupled with meditation. That is, reason and logic are thought to be a truly valid way to approach and examine emptiness, and this is sufficiently true of Gelug to make that distinction.

This is just my interpretation, but I'm pretty sure it's right.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited June 2010
    the Tibetan schools, especially Sakya & Gelug.

These are some teachings associated with each of the 4 schools:

Gelug -> Lam Rim, Tonglen, Lojong
    Sakya -> Lam Dre
    Nyingma -> Dzogchen
    Kagyu -> Mahamudra

The schools don't exclude one another, though.
  • zider_redzider_red Explorer
    edited June 2010
    many thanks for the answers. In the basic meditation classes I find that Sakya & Gelug seem fairly similar to each other, where as the one Nyingma class I attended had a very different feel to it. The Gelug group seems to have a lot more talks/events that are open to everyone than the Sakya group, who seem to require that one has taken refuge and had this & that instructions before one can go to the majority of their activities, thought I suspect that is more a difference between the 2 groups, rather than a difference between the 2 schools.