Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Madhyamaka Thread

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited August 2010 in Philosophy
This thread is an invitation to those who want to discuss the Madhyamaka view on Madhyamaka terms. If this view is not what you want to discuss, then this thread aint your thing.

So a question for any Madhyamaka folk out there....

If form is not other than Emptiness, and concept is form, that means concept is not other than Emptiness. If this is so, how do the conceptual skillfull means of Madhyamaka lead to Buddhahood?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    This thread is an invitation to those who want to discuss the Madhyamaka view on Madhyamaka terms. If this view is not what you want to discuss, then this thread aint your thing.

If form is not other than Emptiness, and concept is form, that means concept is not other than Emptiness. If this is so, how do the conceptual skillfull means of Madhyamaka lead to Buddhahood?

Thank you.
    Upaya is connected with method. It relates to the two accumulations, merit and wisdom. Upaya and method function for the accumulation of merit which relates to the relative truth. The accumulation of merit helps remove obscurations to the accumulation of wisdom which functions on the level of the ultimate truth of emptiness.
    Through the two accumulations the causes and conditions for Buddhahood are achieved by the practitioner.
  • edited June 2010

Are you referring to MMK 24:18, 19?
  • edited June 2010
    Richard-

I am familiar with Madhyamaka, but if there is one online source we could all go to for the sake of reference in this discussion, I think that would help keep the discussion focused. There may be some references to Madhyamaka that may be more clear or concise than others, and knowing what you're looking at would be helpful.

Thanks.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    To be honest I'd prefer to hear about people's insights rather than study writings. There are plenty of books on the subject. Talking to people about their practice is of more interest personally.

For instance emptiness/form. or perhaps you could say self-luminous reality is realized in Zen practice, but there seems to be degrees of realization and integration with daily life. This is why I mentioned that concepts are not other than emptiness. Is a recognition of this pertinent? and does it have bearing on how Madyamaka is said to achieve a final and complete integration? In other word do the conceptual skillful means themselves embody Buddhahood?

This may be waaay off on a tangent and I don't mind being told so, but it may not be.
  • edited June 2010
    This may be waaay off on a tangent and I don't mind being told so, but it may not be.

I really like the idea- I just don't know how much I'll be able to participate. And I don't think it's off base- the Madhyamaka view on emptiness is an important part of Buddhism that I think doesn't get enough emphasis.
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, didn't mean to dissuade. If you know an online source for common reference that would be great. I can go to an anti-reference extreme at times.
  • edited June 2010
    The Madhyamaka argument builds on the association of impermanence and emptiness in early Buddhism: “All samskâra (dispositions; compositions) are impermanent and everything impermanent ends in pain (duhkha). Every duhkha is without self and what is without self is empty (sûnyam)” (Udâna Vagga XI 5.8). What is, is impermanent, non-self, empty, and we create false problems when we project onto it duration, self-identity, substance.

• edited July 2010
    I feel that we should start from somewhere then explain on agreed terms and distinctions.
    edited July 2010
    I feel that we should start from somewhere then explain on agreed terms and distinctions.
    This "we" has a tone of familiarity, are you Rig ?
    Anyway ...if your not Rig, that sounds like an interesting discussion.
  • edited July 2010

I am not very knowledgeable in Madhyamaka; I've only read some basic Nagarjuna and Conze's translation of the Heart Sutra, but I think I can answer your question.

Yes, concepts are empty and the best exemplification for this is perhaps given by mathematics. Mathematical statements are formalised to the degree were they become completely independent (empty) of semantics. Although one could argue that the logical structure of mathematical sentences contains some sort of essence, this structure is usually reducible to simpler rules of inference which are themselves empty.

So why can concepts be employed the purpose of transcending emptiness if they are themselves empty? It's a bit like the question: why does a million metric tons steel-built freighter ship swim? In case of the ship, it is not the million tons of steel, but the space surrounded by the steel, which keeps the vessel afloat. It's the same with concepts. Not the concepts themselves, but the space between the lines, the quality that is created in the mind of the listener, gets the job done.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited July 2010
    So why can concepts be employed the purpose of transcending emptiness if they are themselves empty?
    The concepts of Madyhamaka, as far as I can tell, serve to drive home the inherently relative and dualistic nature of the conceptual process, and in so doing release the practitioner from the web of conceptual constructs. It seems like an awful lot of gyrations to go through to drop ideation. This is why I was wondering if the particular world-concept-construct of Madhyamaka is more than just a conceptual version of a whack from a Zen master. Being that it is empty, does it also go further and integrate delusion as it is, as such, with awakening? Maybe this misses the point.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't know how many times i should post or what is appropriate , but i practice tibetian buddhism and am studying madhyamaka.
  • edited July 2010
    i practice tibetian buddhism and am studying madhyamaka.

My knowledge is pretty limited, so bear with me. Do Tibetan Buddhists study both the madhyamaka prasangika and madhyamaka svatantrika schools and regard the prasangika view as best? I think all the books I've read for far were based on the prasangika view.
  • edited July 2010
    prasangika is the consequence school, they don't propround theory just refute. In doing this they remain the "best" or most subtle because they say nothing to contradict thier own assertions. The whole school is based upon deconstructive reasoning. Svantantrika is "autonomous" school and the differences are vast , however on a simplified level it is due to the type of syllogisms each school uses.

so "best" relates to which school refutes inherent existence without the extreme of nihlism,more thoroughly . The refutations have to be "valid" which is what establishes a thesis that both can agree to debate upon. but the pransangikas don't proupound the thesis, just refute them. Like judo... they use the force of the wrong view to undo it . i love madhyamaka.
    edited July 2010
    .. Why go through all those incredible gyrations to exhaust ideation? We can see any thought as a simple phenomena and not attach. In this respect the "best" of prasangika thinking is no different than thinking about lunch.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010

Thank you.

Madhyamaka is skilfull when in conjunction with tantric practise, Meditation on a tantric deity replaces the ordinary self, From which all delusions stem from with emptiness in form of a tantric deity, By using this method we directly cut tricky delusions such as ordinary appearances and swiftly make our way to the Buddha grounds swiftly overcoming delusion by dealing with the root cause. :)
    edited July 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Madhyamaka is skilfull when in conjunction with tantric practise, Meditation on a tantric deity replaces the ordinary self, From which all delusions stem from with emptiness in form of a tantric deity, By using this method we directly cut tricky delusions such as ordinary appearances and swiftly make our way to the Buddha grounds swiftly overcoming delusion by dealing with the root cause. :)
    Could you expand on this process? How does Madhyamaka work with Tantra? It is a big subject I appreciate that. thankyou.
    edited July 2010
    Could you expand on this process? How does Madhyamaka work with Tantra? It is a big subject I appreciate that. thankyou.

By having a correct view of emptiness, It allows swift progression toward enlightenment :)
    By directly applying the teachings on emptiness into our meditation upon the Non Dual profoundity and clarity things become far easier then having a view of emptiness that is more akin to nothingness for example.
    edited July 2010
    By having a correct view of emptiness, It allows swift progression toward enlightenment :)
    By directly applying the teachings on emptiness into our meditation upon the Non Dual profoundity and clarity things become far easier then having a view of emptiness that is more akin to nothingness for example.
    Ok. Now having established the correct view of emptiness, how does meditation on a tantric deity replace the ordinary self? Is it an identification with... as... this deity? ......and the powers and qualities it symbolizes? I guess my question is how does the awakened "state" facilitated through this practice differ from the awakened (non-dual) "state" in Zen for instance. Is it a matter of "embodiment"?
    edited July 2010
    Ok. Now having established the correct view of emptiness, how does meditation on a tantric deity replace the ordinary self? Is it an identification with... as... this deity? ......and the powers and qualities it symbolizes? I guess my question is how does the awakened "state" facilitated through this practice differ from the awakened (non-dual) "state" in Zen for instance. Is it a matter of "embodiment"?

Its does as such. By meditating upon ones deity this cease the ordinary view from which delusion stems, By our ordinary mind interacting with ordinary things we generate ordinary conceptions which in turn give rise to the ordinary self and from which stems our Delusions, Principly Self grasping is the cause of all our problems however in Tantra it is futher added that Ordinary appearance is the cause of such, By Meditating upon a Deity and engaging in concentration of disolving ones ordinary self into emptiness and then appearing in ones deities pureland as said deity we defeat the enemy of ordinary appearance which gives rise to all of our delusions principly Self grasping futher more self grasping is defeated and eliminated by Self Generating as the Deity by realizing that the self we are generating as the Deity is non other then emptiness, In other words dream like appearance...anywho Tantra is renowned as the quick path because using this method is a quick way to eliminate our root causes of problems and bring into daily life the meditations and pure conceptions we have generated Therefore we quickly acheive enlightenment because everymoment of our being from then on is recognised as being pure and that of said deity ( In secret obviously ) Through extreme concentration our minds merge and ordinary conceptions cease and we acheive the Pureland in this very life there by ending samsara and all of our suffering.

I hope what i have written makes sense. :)

It differs from other methods because it is renowndly quicker in that it gives you a basis to work from, as generating a conception of emptiness ordinarily can be difficult and to be able to maintain that recognition of emptiness in daily life without transforming it into something that does not appear to be contradictory can be extremly confusing, Not to mention that it is also said that once Emptiness is realized there are still subtle imprints of delusion upon consciousness, Bodhisattvas for example have realized emptiness and liberated themselves from suffering, But because of subtle obstructions remaining in their minds they are not Buddhas yet, The method most commonly used such as in zen is to continously meditate upon emptiness in this way and eventually they attain high states which is brilliant, However it can take many aeons to accomplish Full enlightenment using this method, Therefore Buddha Vajradhara whom was non other then Shakyamuni appearing in this form taught it to accomplish the Buddha grounds within one life, It is a very rare method and very profound to grasp and understand. :)
    edited July 2010
    Thank you Caz. I'll save what you have written and go through it carefully before responding. There are some aspects that intuitively make sense, and others that are not clear.
    edited July 2010
    Thank you Caz. I'll save what you have written and go through it carefully before responding. There are some aspects that intuitively make sense, and others that are not clear.

Cool. :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010

Thank you.

By eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...with a glass of orange juice.
    edited July 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    By eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...with a glass of orange juice.

hardy har har har.:buck:
    edited July 2010
    hardy har har har.:buck:

Why are you laughing?? I'm trying to be serious here! Seriously. Because, form is emptiness and emptiness is form. Madhyamaka is the doctrine of emptiness, yes?
  • edited July 2010
    madhyamaka has no doctrine
    edited July 2010
    madhyamaka has no doctrine

Which is itself, the doctrine of emptiness.
  • edited July 2010
    I've found this short article helpful: http://www.tamqui.com/buddhaworld/Madhyamaka
    edited July 2010
    Its does as such. By meditating upon ones deity this cease the ordinary view from which delusion stems, By our ordinary mind interacting with ordinary things we generate ordinary conceptions which in turn give rise to the ordinary self and from which stems our Delusions, Principly Self grasping is the cause of all our problems however in Tantra it is futher added that Ordinary appearance is the cause of such, By Meditating upon a Deity and engaging in concentration of disolving ones ordinary self into emptiness and then appearing in ones deities pureland as said deity we defeat the enemy of ordinary appearance which gives rise to all of our delusions principly Self grasping futher more self grasping is defeated and eliminated by Self Generating as the Deity by realizing that the self we are generating as the Deity is non other then emptiness, In other words dream like appearance...anywho Tantra is renowned as the quick path because using this method is a quick way to eliminate our root causes of problems and bring into daily life the meditations and pure conceptions we have generated Therefore we quickly acheive enlightenment because everymoment of our being from then on is recognised as being pure and that of said deity ( In secret obviously ) Through extreme concentration our minds merge and ordinary conceptions cease and we acheive the Pureland in this very life there by ending samsara and all of our suffering.
    . This is how it looks from here... Being empty, this Deity is none other than the entire lineage in all aspects, it is the whole Sangha, all who have practiced before. In this practice you literally become the vehicle. So in a sense the Madhyamaka does embody, not just the path, but the fruition. Is this on track? What role does the "Root Guru" play?

It differs from other methods because it is renowndly quicker in that it gives you a basis to work from, as generating a conception of emptiness ordinarily can be difficult and to be able to maintain that recognition of emptiness in daily life without transforming it into something that does not appear to be contradictory can be extremly confusing, Not to mention that it is also said that once Emptiness is realized there are still subtle imprints of delusion upon consciousness, Bodhisattvas for example have realized emptiness and liberated themselves from suffering, But because of subtle obstructions remaining in their minds they are not Buddhas yet, The method most commonly used such as in zen is to continously meditate upon emptiness in this way and eventually they attain high states which is brilliant, However it can take many aeons to accomplish Full enlightenment using this method, Therefore Buddha Vajradhara whom was non other then Shakyamuni appearing in this form taught it to accomplish the Buddha grounds within one life, It is a very rare method and very profound to grasp and understand.

In Zen ( it varies) the practice is a bright clear unobstructed mind. By resting in this mind, there is over time a natural clarification. This clarification may be different for different people depending on their karma. Thats my take anyway.
    edited July 2010
    . This is how it looks from here... Being empty, this Deity is none other than the entire lineage in all aspects, it is the whole Sangha, all who have practitced before. In this practice you literally become the vehicle. So in a sense the Madhyamaka does embody, not just the path, but the fruition. Is this on track? What role does the "Root Guru" play?

In a sense yes by meditating in this way we are creating the causes to acheive the state of the Deity, as they possess the aggregates of an enlightened being and such perfections that they arose upon, It is said when you gain the realization of one deity you gain them all as in reality they may appear in different aspects ( Only due to out karma ) But they are none other then the same nature, Using this method is bringing the effect into the path. Yes you have the right idea.

The role the root guru plays is simple, As a focus for our practise by perceiving the root guru in the way of beleiving such a person to be an actual Buddha we create great merit, as such positive potential is needed in our mental continuum to accomplish profound states, The root guru also plays an important part in Deity meditation as when the Guru is perceived as an actual Buddha we meditate in the way of the Root guru appearing in the aspect of our Yidam ( Meditational deity ) By our close connection with our root guru we gain a closer connection with said deity because through this way of thinking the Two become one and it is as if we are in the presences of an actual Buddha, As a note as well Buddha Vajradhara also said in one of the tantras that when you perceive the spiritual guide as a Buddha he will enter and an abide in that said person, Vajradhara's nature is complete perfect enlightenment, Thus through the virtuous mind of faith ( That perceives only good pure qualities ) It is well established that our spiritual guide is also non other then all the Buddha, When ever we receive blessing from our Guru it is the same as receiving the blessing from all the Buddhas. Viewing purely in this way it helps to eliminate ordinary conceptions from which all delusions arise, One of The many end results of acheiving The Buddha grounds is that everyone appears as enlightened and pure beings, Therefore when we consider the nature of emptiness and that ultimatly one person is indistinguishable from the next viewing our guru as the Buddha is bringing again the end result into the path of practise. Buddha taught in the Tantras that the enlightened Bodies of a Buddha come only from Bringing the effect into the path, In other words the only way to accomplish this is to imagine we already possess them, As we do In our Yidam ( Deity ) Meditation.

In Zen ( it varies) the practice is a bright clear unobstructed mind. By resting in this mind, there is over time a natural clarification. This clarification may be different for different people depending on their karma. Thats my take anyway.
    Yes this is the eventual way of accomplishing full enlightenment although it can take an extremly long time, Many aeons according to the Buddha's in the Tantras, This natural clarification you speak of is the gradual elimination of the Imprints of Delusion, Once we realize emptiness we cut away the gross imprints of delusion in our mental continuum, By continued meditation on emptiness subtle and very subtle obstructions to omniscients of an enlightened mind are eventually removed and enlightenment is Acheived...
    and Then once this is accomplished we gain the tools to help others :D

Of course that state is the the ultimate Being of a Buddha a complete mixing with emptiness, an omniscient state of mind perceiving all phenomena clearly, This is known as the truth body of a Buddha, From this they eminate other bodies in order to help others traped in samsara ( I should mention at this point that the There is no distinction between a Buddhas body and mind ) The next body they possess is the enjoyment body, In deity meditation this is the Body we meditate upon while at the same time realizing it is non other then emptiness we are also meditating upon the ultimate truth Body a Buddha possess, In this way as explained in the Perfection of wisdom Sutra " Form is emptiness, Emptiness is form..."
    From these principle bodies They eminate Countless emination bodies to benifit sentient beings appearing in whatever from needed to help others... These may sound fanstical But do remember in emptiness it is all possible. :lol:
  • edited July 2010
    Svantrantika and Prasangika are developed by tibetians, though it is the best systemization of a non-systemized school extant, and the most subtle way to study MMK

When reading commentaries and the MMK i was told that meditating upon it gives more of a realization. What is the way to meditate on the MMK. Please give source commentaries or treatises to help.

Thank You.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't think that most americans are skilled enough to see the subtleties of tantra. it is a very esoteric instruction which has been said again and again that can only be fully realized by a master student relationship. I don't know if any american with the preoccupation with I and Individuality, can even fathom what the process takes "identification with the guru" even if one were to do it intellectually experientially it is neer impossible for most tibetians. I seen that before a kalachakra initiation there were devotees that did prosterations the whole way there, some 1000= mi. That is more dedication than i've seen from any american learning "neo-buddhism" this is the reason i make the above statements. Not to discourage but to give a firm grounding into the commitment. I think that Bodhisattva Deeds are difficult enough and are still part of the first turning, if we are going to start a second turning teaching we really must be grounded in the paramitas, and then if we find a master in this fortunate life we can start the process of the third turnings. I don't as of yet have such a fortunate karmic fruitition. Im married and would only be able to practice tantra under the Nyingmapa tradition. And im not Tibetian so it must take more lifetimes than ive been given already.

Peace.
  • edited July 2010
    One would be able to practice Tantra under any tradition, regardless of whether you are married or not.
    edited July 2010
    Svantrantika and Prasangika are developed by tibetians, though it is the best systemization of a non-systemized school extant, and the most subtle way to study MMK

When reading commentaries and the MMK i was told that meditating upon it gives more of a realization. What is the way to meditate on the MMK. Please give source commentaries or treatises to help.

Thank You.

Actually Treederwright i think the system was developed and perfected in India the Tibetans just inherated the system of thought once it crossed the boundries. :o
  • edited July 2010
    in the book im reading i hear that the views were supposed by bhaviveka and chandrakirti. The main division happened when bhaviveka attacked buddhapalita. Then Chandrakirti protected buddhapalita's views.

Didn't the tibetians develop the two subschools of madhyamaka?

Because Tsongkhapa championed Chandrakirti's Pransanga.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Why go through all those incredible gyrations to exhaust ideation?

According to Tsongkhapa, you must distinguish between not thinking about true existence (which is the withdrawal from conceptual thinking some meditation techniques propose) and knowing the lack of true existence.

Also, from the King of Concentration Sutra:

If you analytically discern the lack of self in phenomena and if you cultivate that very analysis in meditation, this will cause the result, attainment of nirvana; there is no peace through any other means.

It is not that they think it is not possible to be free of conceptual thinking during meditation. They say it is possible, but insufficient for liberation. So, in that sense, it is "more than just a conceptual version of a whack from a Zen master", because analysis here is fundamental.
  • edited July 2010
    Its important to realize that the main mind is clear and knowing, This means that it is somewhat like a blank movie screen with the potential to play any movie, or process, event etc. This means that the mind will reflect what is placed in it. But karma has to be purified and its seeds extinguished. The view that is developed will cut the root of karma, because it deals with the klesha or fundemental delusion of inherent reality. Self in persons and self in phenonmena. The reason why zen can't do this , so the tibetians say. Is because the mind is clear and knowing and if there is only placed a blank screen this is a "gyration" in itself. The student is working to achieve a type of projection on the mind called bliss. this is diferent than spontaneously present awareness of reality. This isn't cultivated without analysis. Zen is anti analytical ( just read dogen ) it's premise is that of Bodhidharma and his saying that there is a mind seal that the buddha gave to the most enlightened when proclaiming silence he also "sealed" those with the capacity to understand.

Therefore zen's aim is toward ultimate reality. but its method is that of non-conceptual awareness with the strict restriction of concepts or discursive mind at all. This Tsongkhapa calles a "devolution" not "evolution" because it removes the mind that is essential to enlightenment, and leaves the practitioner no higher than an animal in the relms of existence.
  • edited July 2010
    I am reading MMK again and this time i am mesmerized by the first chapter. The setup is great and each statement depends upon the previous and sets up the next. What a way to demonstrate emptiness.

It discusses ontology presupposing that the 4 ways something can exist are in fact the only way they can exist, then he says they are not from a cause inherently seperate from the effect . he calls this "condition". This is truely awesome because once you accept the statements on "conditions" you infer that the conclusion is true which is the way nagarjuna states the dedication. What a read!
  • edited July 2010
    Im reading Ch 2 and its saying that "motion" is synonmous with "change' the problem is that 'change' is not equivalent to 'motion' because if 'motion' is connected to 'mover' then 'motion' stops. Thats given. But if its synonomous with 'change' what is to stop that 'change' would be stopped as well? im confused.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Change is relative. Changing relationship between two entities. However each of those entities identity is essenceless. Their identity is a summation of other relationships which are changing. In a sense nothing is there because there is no reference point and nothing lasting. But in a sense the whole universe is there.
  • edited August 2010
    is the clear nature of mind a permanent thing ?
    edited August 2010
    is the clear nature of mind a permanent thing ?

Enlightened minds never decay :)
    Samsara arises from The causes of Samsaric aggregates, This falls within DO. When one is released what is there to say of a mind that is unbound by Samsara certainly it is not subject to Death and rebirth. :D
  • edited August 2010
    so can a mind that's liberated ever change and if it cant then how is it that we don't realize this mind.
    edited August 2010
    so can a mind that's liberated ever change and if it cant then how is it that we don't realize this mind.

A mind that is Liberated from Samsara doesnt return to the state of Ignorance/Samsara. :)
    How is it we dont realize this mind ? Simple we are lazy and dont put the effort into attaining Liberation and enlightenment if we actually made an effort we could do it in this single life. :D
  • edited August 2010
    do you know anyone who has been liberated from samsara?
  • edited August 2010
    I don't even know what that means, Im still in the cycle of birth and death.
    edited August 2010
    do you know anyone who has been liberated from samsara?

I cant say...I dont have the ability to know others minds. :o
    Ive meet many people who possess a wonderful presence and very extensive wisdom if this is any indication that there are still people who realize these precious teachings :)

Your not making yourself very clear friend ? :confused:
  • edited August 2010
    i guess i need more joyful perserverence but im not a bodhisattva and i feel that im maybe not able to be liberated. I try hard but i guess i won't get so down on myself.
    edited August 2010
    i guess i need more joyful perserverence but im not a bodhisattva and i feel that im maybe not able to be liberated. I try hard but i guess i won't get so down on myself.

Yes we can :o
    Practise and perseverance, With effort all our goals will be accomplished, If we have the intention to set out on a journey we will eventually reach our destination.

39716_1309788199603_1677547364_600999_1781565_n.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    I was reading the MMK again. I like the way nagarjuna is ripping apart conventional existence. His reasoning is kinda like, there are not any inherent causes things are arisen upon conditions. the conditions though changing are not inherently changing and that the sense that percieves the change doesn't inherently exist because of the fact that senses need objects to sense. he then says aggregates aren't inherent because they are dependent as well. Like a master demolition man he is...