Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question for Rig pa'i ye-shes regarding specific mantra

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Rig-

What is the actual translated meaning of

OM AH GURU VAJRADHARA SU MA TI KIRTI SIDDHI HUM HUM ?

Do you think the literally translated meaning of mantra has much bearing on the usefulness of the mantra itself?

Thanks. I may have more mantras to ask you about in this way.

Blessings.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Rig-

What is the actual translated meaning of

OM AH GURU VAJRADHARA SU MA TI KIRTI SIDDHI HUM HUM ?

Do you think the literally translated meaning of mantra has much bearing on the usefulness of the mantra itself?

Thanks. I may have more mantras to ask you about in this way.

Blessings.

I haven't heard of this mantra before but the literally tranlsated meaning is
    om ah lama holder of thunderbolt good intelligence fame accomplishment (or success) hum hum

In terms of learning mantras it would invariably to a certain extent involve acquiring a familiarisation with the meanings of the terms and the ideas behind them, but it wouldn't be necessary to know the meaning of every single word and syllable and its grammatical construction and so on.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you. Again, I am guessing that you are ethnic Tibetan with a classical Tibetan education, just by your writing and discussion style- I am a bit surprised that you have not heard of this mantra.

Thanks again.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you. Again, I am guessing that you are ethnic Tibetan with a classical Tibetan education, just by your writing and discussion style- I am a bit surprised that you have not heard of this mantra.

Thanks again.

Strange that you should think that Rig pa'i ye-shes is ethnic Tibetan, SherabDorje. I don't get that impression at all...though I might be terribly wrong of course! :)

• edited June 2010
    I am a bit surprised that you have not heard of this mantra.

There are 84,000 mantras out there and many more besides, I can't claim to have heard of them all.
    Particularly as this appears to be one connected with the Yellow school of Tsongakhapa of which I have little specific knowledge.