Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

BASIC IDEAS OF YOGACARA BUDDHISM

edited June 2010 in Philosophy
CONSCIOUSNESS Consciousness is awareness of a "self". The fundamental doctrine of the Yogacara school is "that all phenomenal existence is fabricated by consciousness." Consciousness is the basis of all activities from birth to attaining enlightenment; "...all is based upon the coming into being and the ceasing to be of consciousness, i.e., of distinctions in the mind." Consciousness is the distinction making activity of the mind, both in making and having distinctions, including the states we consider the conscious as well as the unconscious. Consciousness, in making distinctions between self and other, becomes the subject which treats everything else as object. Consciousness itself is real. It exists as a series, or stream, of successive momentary awareness of events, each immediately replaced by consciousness in the next moment. Consciousness "has no substantiality ...and is dependent on the consciousness of the preceding instant."
Since everything, until the attainment of wisdom in enlightenment, is consciousness, all objects in the external world are just "representations" in our consciousness. Since everything is just an aspect of consciousness, all phenomenal existence is without intrinsic nature . Therefore, the "I" is illusory and there is no "self" to be found; everything is just a phenomenon of consciousness. Eventually, consciousness that is attached to these representations and makes distinctions has to be clarified into wisdom which is free of all attachments.
There is nothing separate or independent from consciousness. The world is our perceptual construct and an analysis of the unenlightened mind will show different levels of perception which are based in a storehouse consciousness [8] containing the karmic seeds [6] of former actions.

found at.....http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/Yogacara/basicideas.htm

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    Consciousness is the distinction making activity of the mind,
    What is this mind? Is it primary?
    Consciousness, in making distinctions between self and other, becomes the subject which treats everything else as object.
    How does an activity become the subject? Is it an abstraction from the mind referred to in the first quote? If so is this mind the "true subject"?

Not doubting, just asking for your clarification on these points. Thanks.
  • edited June 2010
    This article by Lusthaus is clarifying:

http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/articles/intro-uni.htm
  • edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    What is this mind? Is it primary?

How does an activity become the subject? Is it an abstraction from the mind referred to in the first quote? If so is this mind the "true subject"?

Not doubting, just asking for your clarification on these points. Thanks.

If we are in touch with the mind being empty/clear of concept making, then we are aware of what arises as concept or thought. The question is it primary, IMO, is mute. No arising.....no question.....no apriori........etc.... the activity of mind becomes subject as we give it form and words and begin to identify with it as subject, which often times melds into objects. :) A "subject" is made by some form of dialectical comparison. Me thinks.....
  • edited June 2010
    Will wrote: »
    This article by Lusthaus is clarifying:

http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/articles/intro-uni.htm

I like this part.......

"Yogācāra doctrine is summarized in the term vijñapti-mātra, "nothing-but-cognition" (often rendered "consciousness-only" or "mind-only") which has sometimes been interpreted as indicating a type of metaphysical idealism, i.e., the claim that mind alone is real and that everything else is created by mind. However, the Yogācārin writings themselves argue something very different. Consciousness (vijñāna) is not the ultimate reality or solution, but rather the root problem. This problem emerges in ordinary mental operations, and it can only be solved by bringing those operations to an end."
    edited June 2010
    If we are in touch with the mind being empty/clear of concept making, then we are aware of what arises as concept or thought. The question is it primary, IMO, is mute. No arising.....no question.....no apriori........etc.... .....
    If the question is truly mute (agreed) then is not the whole system? Because the keystone it seems of this construct is mind as a primary ground.

the activity of mind becomes subject as we give it form and words and begin to identify with it as subject, which often times melds into objects. :) A "subject" is made by some form of dialectical comparison. Me thinks.....
    uh.

I'll read the links and get back.
    edited June 2010
    Got it. thanks. "Yogācāra is not metaphysical idealism"
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited June 2010
    A quibble about terminology:
    In fact, since the early Yogaacaarins did not accept the ultimate reality of subjective consciousness (vij~naana), the term 'Vij~naanavaada' is particularly inaccurate. This epithet, nevertheless, may be applicable to the later doctrinal position of the Dharmapaalan lineage of the Yogaacaara, which, according to Yoshifumi Ueda, upheld the view that the external world was merely a transformation of an ultimately real subjective consciousness (v~nanapari.naama).(2) As we shall see, however, even the term 'Vij~naptimaatrataa' may prove inappropriate as a final designation of the Asa^nga-Vasubandhu school of thought.
    --Richard King, Philosophy East & West, Oct. 1994

In simple English, "mind only" or "consciousness only" was a late development in Yogacara, and just one of the sub-schools that developed in Yogacara in India. The Oxford Dictionary of Buddhism says that early Yogacarins did not deny the objective existence of, for example, a chair.

As near as I can tell, the link in the original post is a pretty good explanation of the mind-only branch of Yogacara. So the quibble is only about equating Yogacara to mind-only.
  • edited June 2010
    Ok this is my take on mind and consciousness..... It is mainly from experience, while meditating and practice. Mind has "no attributes" It is void of "anything whatsoever" except maybe the embryonic beginnings of potential...... ( the void that is not empty). Consciousness is part of dependent origination. For me it follows Name and form, and is before Mind and Body. Consciousness has quality but has no form per se. But something WILL form out of it, if one is not aware of its' birthing probabilities. Something will arise from it and eventually end in birth and death. ( DO )
    It seems rather simple to me in practice, but i do not think my description is very "scriptural". :)
  • edited June 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    In simple English, "mind only" or "consciousness only" was a late development in Yogacara, and just one of the sub-schools that developed in Yogacara in India. The Oxford Dictionary of Buddhism says that early Yogacarins did not deny the objective existence of, for example, a chair.

In my experience AGAIN, there is no doubt about the existence of an "outer world", chair, for example. It is what we make/define/construe of the "chair" that is "consciousness" produced. Then we are ignorant of that process, thus we take a ride on the wheel of ( DO ).
    edited June 2010
    Glad to hear you talk from practice. It is what we do after all.

So this is how it looks from here....
    Mind has "no attributes" It is void of "anything whatsoever" except maybe the embryonic beginnings of potential...... ( the void that is not empty)
    This "mind" sounds like the subjective pole of awareness. There is an indestructable space-like absence at the subjective pole that is full with the presence of bodymind and world. This receptive absence is not other than the extension of that fullness. In other words the receptive (subjective) and extensive (objective) poles are one gesture in the same way buying and selling are one gesture. Any "embryonic potential" belongs, in its entirety, to bodymind and world.

Consciousness is part of dependent origination.
    The whole enchilada apparently belongs to DO.

Consciousness has quality but has no form per se. But something WILL form out of it,
    Can't quite understand this, and want to absorb more of that linked article to get a sense of how this process is conceived.

The truth is I'd mostly known of Yogacara through the criticism that saw it as affirming “Mind”, and so never looked too closely. Yet another gap in knowledge .