Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fish suffer too? Duh, of course!

edited July 2010 in General Banter
While visiting a relative, this summer I picked up an old issue of the Smithsonian magazine from 2003. On page 24, an article by Michael Parfit titled "Ouch," which explained that a team of Scottish animal biologists led byy 29 y/o Lynne Sheldon, has reported that fish feel pain. They injected bee venom and acid into the lips of captive trout. The article says they observed the fish rocked back and forth, rubbing their lips on the gravel beds of their fish tanks. Well, this caused consternation among the fisherman of the scientific community and others. Some retorted fish don't experience pain the same way humans do. James Rose, a fisherman and a professor in the University of Wyoming's Department of Zoology and Physiology claimed the researchers used poor methodology misinterpreted the data. He opined fish simply don't have the capability to experience suffering. Rose compares a fish's reaction to stimulation to the way some quadriplegics respond when their extremities are irritated. "If you pinch the hand of a quadriplegic," Rose said, "the hand would pull back, but the person, unless he was watching, wouldn't have any awareness of that stimulation." Parfit says "Sneddon isn't buying(that line of reasoning). It's not right to suggest that only humans and primates experience pain," she says. "[Rose's] definiton means that many other animals, including dogs, cats, or birds, can't experience pain." Even bloody PETA chimed in.

Others said basically I feel for the critters but I'm still gonna fish. I love to fish too. Never really been successful at it, though it is a great excuse to get out of the house into the wild. I used to be a vegan vegetarian, but have backslid into eating meat, cheese and fish again. I'm sure I'm not the only mindless carnivore on this sight. I could envision myself being a vegan again.

Feel free to sound off about if you think fish feel pain just like humans and other primates do or not.

I

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I have to admit, I had always just assumed all animals feel pain.

But every being DOES have a different system of nerves. Its entirely possible that the quadriplegic metaphor is accurate.

But it could also be an incorrect and biased statement.

I really don't know enough about a fish's nervous system to comment any further, haha.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Forget the fish... I can't even get a worm on a hook. I have no problem with people fishing for food. I think for sport is just cruel. While I don't KNOW if they feel pain, I'd rather assume they can than inflict pain on an innocent, helpless creature. As for dogs and such... I think it's safe to assume they can; they don't simply pull their leg away, they cry and yelp and learn to avoid things which inflict that sensation... ok, it's not pain? But it's certainly not desirable...
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Run a fish hook through your lip and see if it hurts! There is absolutely *no* reason whatsoever to believe, if you know the first thing about anatomy, to think that fish, worms, eagles, whales, or spiders don't feel pain. It's one of nature's chief mechanisms for self-preservation. If something hurts, you get away from it. You live longer that way. Any animal that has even a rudimentary nervous system can most assuredly feel and react to pain.

Mtns
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Pre-Buddhist days, I remember seeing a Linda McCartney clip where she says that, yes, fishing HURTS if you're a fish.

It struck me as Duh ... yeah! I never went fishing again.
  • edited July 2010
    I've always assumed that fish (and other animals) can feel pain too, I don't see why they wouldn't. I'd be more interested to read about a scientific study that "proves" that fish DON'T feel pain.

I wouldn't go fishing myself since I don't eat it, and I agree that it's cruel if it's just for sport. But if you do eat fish and you're fishing for food (or at least attempting to ;) ), I think it's a better way of going about it than going off to the supermarket and buying it all pre-packaged. I just think it's better to be aware of the whole process involved before that fish appears on your dinner plate.
    edited July 2010
    nuageux wrote: »
    I've always assumed that fish (and other animals) can feel pain too, I don't see why they wouldn't. I'd be more interested to read about a scientific study that "proves" that fish DON'T feel pain.

You won't find such a study, because fish have a central nervous system, a peripheral nervous system, and a brain. All animals thus equipped (and those even less well equipped) feel pain and react to it (they run away). Try pinching your gold fish between your fingers and see if he swims away. If he does, it's not because he thinks you're ugly. It's because you're hurting him.

Mtns
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2010
    While visiting a relative, this summer I picked up an old issue of the Smithsonian magazine from 2003. On page 24, an article by Michael Parfit titled "Ouch," which explained that a team of Scottish animal biologists led byy 29 y/o Lynne Sheldon, has reported that fish feel pain. They injected bee venom and acid into the lips of captive trout. The article says they observed the fish rocked back and forth, rubbing their lips on the gravel beds of their fish tanks. Well, this caused consternation among the fisherman of the scientific community and others. Some retorted fish don't experience pain the same way humans do. James Rose, a fisherman and a professor in the University of Wyoming's Department of Zoology and Physiology claimed the researchers used poor methodology misinterpreted the data. He opined fish simply don't have the capability to experience suffering. Rose compares a fish's reaction to stimulation to the way some quadriplegics respond when their extremities are irritated. "If you pinch the hand of a quadriplegic," Rose said, "the hand would pull back, but the person, unless he was watching, wouldn't have any awareness of that stimulation." Parfit says "Sneddon isn't buying(that line of reasoning). It's not right to suggest that only humans and primates experience pain," she says. "[Rose's] definiton means that many other animals, including dogs, cats, or birds, can't experience pain." Even bloody PETA chimed in.

Others said basically I feel for the critters but I'm still gonna fish. I love to fish too. Never really been successful at it, though it is a great excuse to get out of the house into the wild. I used to be a vegan vegetarian, but have backslid into eating meat, cheese and fish again. I'm sure I'm not the only mindless carnivore on this sight. I could envision myself being a vegan again.

Feel free to sound off about if you think fish feel pain just like humans and other primates do or not.

I
    Hi Pema,

How.....odd that the researchers would inject bee venom and acid into the lips of fish to find out if they feel pain. Makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Bee venom and acid? Wasn't the bee venom enough? Or the acid? Why both? And why did they choose those particular things? It doesn't lend much confidence to the study when the methodology is so extreme. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, I know you weren't asking about our opinions regarding the study. I just had to get those things off my chest. The rest of my response is kind of off topic too.
    I love to fish too. Never really been successful at it, though it is a great excuse to get out of the house into the wild.
    I understand what you're saying. When I read that sentence though I couldn't help thinking that no one needs an excuse to go out into the wild, do they? The reason this struck me is because I've been thinking a lot lately about how much we're all expected to produce, work, be active, do things, stay busy. Idle hands being the something something of the devil and all that. I bought into that particular lie at a very young age and raced through my life in a daze of 'doing', never stopping to take a look inside.

Anyway, about fish feeling pain. I always thought that was a given. It's almost an irrelevance for me though because I think of non-harming in broader terms. The way I see it, if something is alive I try not to harm it. So if fish had no capacity for feeling pain that would be irrelevant to me. Causing it to bite a sharp hook which harms its mouth, pulling it out of the water which causes it to begin the process of suffocation and so on is harmful in my mind whether the fish actually feels the pain or not. Its lip is ripped, its body is put into crisis and the only difference between throwing it back and eating it is that the former seems ridiculous and cruel to me and the latter might be necessary to the life if the fisher but that would be the fisher's call.

For the sake of full disclosure, I don't fish but I still eat tuna and sometimes other fish if I can be assured it's not chock full of mercury, organochlorines, or other particularly harmful pollutants. Needless to say I don't eat a lot of other fish.

There are some things I find easy to decide, like wearing fur for fashion and status and killing/harming live things with my own hands. I know. It's not all that cool to let others do the killing for me but that's a whole other thread which we've had over and over again. Just saying....I would never wear fur for fashion and I'd never fish unless I had to.
  • edited July 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    You won't find such a study, because fish have a central nervous system, a peripheral nervous system, and a brain. All animals thus equipped (and those even less well equipped) feel pain and react to it (they run away). Try pinching your gold fish between your fingers and see if he swims away. If he does, it's not because he thinks you're ugly. It's because you're hurting him.

Exactly my point. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Mountains wrote: »

Mtns

It is my opinion that this is a commonly held misconception about the meaning of the claim that 'fish feel no pain'. I think the emphasis in that statement should be placed on feel and not on pain. I doubt that any self-respecting scientist would have ever implied that fish would have somehow survived millions of years of evolution without having the capacity to respond to negative physical stimuli.

So sure, fish can sense these sensations and react to them accordingly, but does that mean they feel them in the same way we do? Perhaps, but not necessarily. Could I just be reading way too much into this and blowing smoke? Perhaps, but not necessarily. ;)

BB
  • edited July 2010
    OP really made me cringe... I don't really understand why someone would take the idea that animals, fish, or insects 'feel no pain' as some sort of "defult" mode.
  • edited July 2010
    Sapphire wrote: »
    OP really made me cringe... I don't really understand why someone would take the idea that animals, fish, or insects 'feel no pain' as some sort of "defult" mode.

I'm not sure the OP even picked a side... :confused:
  • edited July 2010
    That's not what I meant.. :p I meant the Original Post made me cringe, and I don't understand how someone (anyone) would blah blah blah.

Sorry for the mix up!
    edited July 2010
    Sapphire wrote: »

The same way that people take as a given that people with a certain color of skin are less intelligent. The same way that people take as a given that homosexuality is a "lifestyle choice". The same way that people take as a given that (insert religion of your choice) is the only "true" religion.

People believe what they're taught, and they believe what they see on TV.

Sad, but true.

Mtns
  • edited July 2010
    I read a study a while ago on insects and pain. The conclusion was that they unmistakably react in an agonized manner to many types of damage, while a few, specialized types (such as losing a leg for certain fragile species) didn't seem to cause any reaction whatsoever.

Fish can be quite intelligent, too. Is there a reason to believe they don't feel pain?
  • edited July 2010
    I think every animal cold blooded or hot blooded feels pain... a house lizard loses his tail to protect itself from the enemies but it too feels the pain in the process.