Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A picture I took....

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited February 2008 in General Banter
The owners of the building where I rent office space just recently had a brand new shiny asphalt parking lot installed. They tore out the old one, graded the dirt very carefully with a lot of heavy equipment, layed 3-4 inches of new asphalt, one coat after another, pressed it in between layers, and spent many days and nights working on it. When it was finished, it was very nice. Freshly painted yellow lines, smooth black surface, the pinnacle of parking lot engineering.

Fast forward about five weeks to today.

I was walking to my car and I saw this thing that made me laugh out loud. This determined little dandelion weed pushed through 3 inches of freshly pressed asphalt - after being dug up, steamrolled, layered with steaming hot asphalt, pressed, rolled again and again - this little sucker just poked it's green head right through this man made thing. It was so inspiring that I drove back there tonight just to snap some photos of it.

I present to you: My one-shot photo essay entitled: "Impermenance" :D
Impermenance.png

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    :bigclap:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    My title would be.....

"You think you're so damned clever don't you? Well, Up Yours, Man! Signed, Mamma Nature."

Brilliant photo..... Those magazines are paying off....!! Nice one Brian!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005

Lacking professional lights, I pulled my car up to the scene and turned my brights on :lol:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    It's a good reminder, isn't it! We have a "God's Wonderful Railway" bridge in the town, built along Isambard Kingdom Brunel plans. It spans one of our main roads. Year by year, I have watched the buddleia growing out of the cracks between the bricks. I have even taken groups of young people to look at it, to illustrate impermanence and the arrogance that suggests that our buildings have any sort of chance of lasting.

The great cities of Meso-America disappeared into jungle. I look forward to the day when our own cities are undistinguished mounds of earth.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    It's a good reminder, isn't it! We have a "God's Wonderful Railway" bridge in the town, built along Isambard Kingdom Brunel plans. It spans one of our main roads. Year by year, I have watched the buddleia growing out of the cracks between the bricks. I have even taken groups of young people to look at it, to illustrate impermanence and the arrogance that suggests that our buildings have any sort of chance of lasting.

There is a wonderful passage in a favourite book of mine that reads as follows:

"Because we live in such a mind-dominated culture, most modern art, architecture, music and literature are devoid of beauty, of inner essence, with very few exceptions. The reason is, that the people who create those things cannot - even for a moment - free themselves from their mind. So they are never in touch with that place Within, where TRUE creativity and beauty arise. The mind left to itself creates monstrosities, and not only in art galleries. Look at our urban landscapes, and industrial wastelands. No civilization has ever produced so much ugliness."

Having said thus far, when I look at the sheer mechanical and technical artistry of the Engineering feats of Mr. Brunel, and I compare them to the little boxes instant housing estates courtesy of Baratt or Wimpey - I know whose designs I prefer and who my money's on....!!

I would be tempted to encircle the plant in the photo with 9-ft high electrified barbed wire. it deserves a little recognition.....!!
  • edited September 2005
    Wonderful Picture Brain, Only Goes to show Mother Earth does not understand parking lots.. hehehe.
    edited September 2005
    [font=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Ozymandias[/font]
    [font=arial, Arial, Helvetica]I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.
    [/font]
    [font=arial, Arial, Helvetica]-Percy Bysshe Shelley
    1792-1822[/font]
  • edited September 2005
    What a great picture, Brian. That was definitely one determined little dandelion! How funny.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Very good picture, Brian.

I assume this is with the new camera?

Good quality - nice clarity. I love taking nice pictures... although I seldom do :)

-bf
    edited September 2005
    And now you know why it is futile to try and eliminate dandelions from the lawn. Not for nothing are they called "lions' teeth"!
    edited September 2005
    .... I hate to shatter everyone's illusions, but.... it's not a dandelion.....

from what I can tell from the 'photo, it's a wild variety of Sorrel, either Rumex Crispus (dock) or Rumex Acetosella..... but it's definitely not Taraxacum Officinale....(dandelion)......

"Hello! I'm the Forum Smart-Ass! Every Forum's got one - and they're a real pain!!" :wavey:
  • edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    .... I hate to shatter everyone's illusions, but.... it's not a dandelion.....

from what I can tell from the 'photo, it's a wild variety of Sorrel, either Rumex Crispus (dock) or Rumex Acetosella..... but it's definitely not Taraxacum Officinale....(dandelion)......

OK, now you are starting to sound like my husband! :) He knows the scientific names for EVERYTHING. And if he were a member of this forum, he would have quickly pointed out the fact that we were wrong in thinking it was a dandelion. I love it!!! :)
    edited September 2005
    YogaMama,

It's the whole "ego" thing that Fede is trying to work on.

I'm sure she used to brown-nose her teachers with an apple (or, so that Fede can participate in this thread.... the Malus sylvestris ) every morning...

-bf
    edited September 2005
    :o

Sorry guys......!

BF... I have been working on myself....
    I used to be conceited, but now I'm absolutely perfect....!

See?!?
  • edited September 2005
    LOL!!!
    edited September 2005
    buddhafoot:

The camera is a canon eos 300D (digital rebel). I can post the exif data if anyone's interested (nerd stuff). It's not that new anymore - i've had it for about a year and a half. :)

fede:

I think it's a dock plant. Scientist Federica strikes again! :p
  • edited September 2005
    Life is a beautiful thing. ^_^ I love the picture...
    edited September 2005
    Brian wrote:
    fede:

I think it's a dock plant. Scientist Federica strikes again! :p

Every now and then, at the top of my client records sheet (I used to be a shiatsu therapist in my previous life) I would put:

"FSTFU".

This stood for: "Fede, Shut The Foo Up".... I really should take more notice of me....! :p

Sorry if I come across as a smart-alec darned know all - it's just that I'm a smart-alec darned know all.... or to quote P. G. Wodehouse:

BERTIE WOOSTER "I say Jeeves! Top Hole! You really are a super chap - do you know EVERYTHING?!?"

JEEVES: "I don't know sir....."

I used to have the same reputation in the UK too.... It's just that if I found something interesting, I'd look it up. One one occasion, one fellow mum wondered why we refer to Easter, but talk about the Paschal Lamb. So being the traditional S.A., I told her.
    Another time, the same woman, during a converstaion about cars, wondered why "we call it a 'garage'...." and then she looked at me, and said "Damn! I bet you f**king know, don't you?!?"

I do. She now calls me 'Garage'.

*stands in the corner, sucking thumb.* :hiding:
    edited September 2005
    The photo speaks to me on another level as well.... To really illustrate the matter of impermenance, I realized that even though this plant struggled through this wall of black rock to reach daylight, it will very likely be killed early into its young life by a car tire or an angry landlord.
  • edited September 2005
    So why is it called a garage?

You must be like my dear husband.....he researches every single thing and once he reads anything, he has it memorized. It is amazing. He never forgets anything. He's like an elephant! It is very interesting because our daughter has inherited his memory.
    edited September 2005
    You need to warn your husband, YM: I used to have a photographic memory. Could even remember page numbers and the appropriate paragraph in what I read. I had DSM-IVa by heart along with lots of other stuff.

Since my CABGS, I suffer from word aphasia and memory-loss. I put it down, not to the bypass machine (as the docs tell me) but to Universal Compassion which is progressively stripping me of all reasons for pride and vanity!
    edited September 2005
    See?

I took this as something completely different.

I saw it as "no matter how battered down you may be, it is possible for you to come through this beating and reach your potential."

But, then you had to come along and tell everyone that even though you may have made it this far - someone else is going to come around and stomp you down.

Like The Man. Always beatin' us down.

Word.

-bf
    edited September 2005
    It's nice for women to have to put up with someone that has a photographic memory for a change.

Like that argument you had 5 years, 7 days, 19 hours and 27 minute ago? Remember when you said that? HUH! REMEMBER!?!?!?!

Sweet.

Shake your husbands hand for me :)

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    You need to warn your husband, YM: I used to have a photographic memory. Could even remember page numbers and the appropriate paragraph in what I read. I had DSM-IVa by heart along with lots of other stuff.

Yep - that sounds just like my husband. He will say things to his parents that he remembers, and they will reply with "I can't believe you remember that. You were only a year old". He amazes me...he is incredibly smart!
  • edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    It's nice for women to have to put up with someone that has a photographic memory for a change.

Like that argument you had 5 years, 7 days, 19 hours and 27 minute ago? Remember when you said that? HUH! REMEMBER!?!?!?!

Sweet.

Shake your husbands hand for me :)

-bf

Yes, in our relationship, he is the one that remembers every single thing I said in every discussion we have had. Luckily, we have only argued (I like to call them "Discussions" :) ) a handful of times since we have met!
    edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    So why is it called a garage?

I'd be happy to tell you, but only if you really want to know.... and you promise to let your husband look it up for himself....!!
  • edited September 2005
    I really do want to know! I asked my husband if he knew that answer last night, and I was surprised ot hear that he did not know why it was called a garage.
    edited September 2005
    It comes from the French (am I being obvious now?) but originally the word was 'gardage' - which meant to look after, to protect. (The word 'garder' still exists, and is used in different contexts. And 'regarder' means to look at.) The verb 'garer' now means 'to park' a vehicle.

For some reason, the 'd' in 'garage' was dropped, but given that the French have 26 letters in their alphabet but only pronounce a third of them when speaking, this should be hardly surprising....! Incidentally, the americans pronounce the word in a far more French manner than the British, who mostly pronounce it 'Garridge'...
    edited September 2005
    I believe it from from a term of Afro-Carribean beginnings used as a term by sailors or sea-fairing folk.

Garage or as it was said in sea-fairing days, Garrrr, Rodge -- Garrr! or Arggh! being the beginnings of a martime command of "hey you!" given by a captain, and Rodge or Rodger being slang for the first mate - or rodger as a "place to hide or store something".

So, Ms Smartypants, get yer facts straight before you go posting here.

-bf
    edited September 2005
    Oh you poor, poor man..... :p
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    This is ONE GOOD PICTURE! Teaches impernemence and determination at the same time... Just what I needed... Thanks, I was feeling a little depressed today! Thanks!
    edited September 2005
    If anyone would like, I would be happy to print out an 8x10 and mail it to you. I'd be a little embarassed, but honored none the less :o
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    This is now my new wallpaper, I hope you don't mind.

Please snap more pictures as it grows!
    edited September 2005
    If you want it as a wallpaper, I can give it to you in a larger resolution. The native resolution is 3072x2048, so if you want a bigger one, let me know :)
    edited September 2005
    Wallpaper please... Pin it up and upload it... So all of us here can download it and rock!
    edited October 2005
    Sorry it took so long: here is a wallpaper sized version - it's 1440x960 so it will work on widescreen monitors too. On 4:3 (square) monitors, it will crop the sides off a bit, but that's okay.
    edited October 2005
    Never mind it's fantastic that you put it up!
  • edited October 2005
    There are so many parables between the picture and the story, i'm going to spend a week contemplating it all.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Had to bump this thread because I never got to see this picture and it's just too good to miss. Beautiful subject and beautifully shot. I saved it and have it on my desktop as wallpaper now and I LOVE it!!

Thanks. Brian.
    edited February 2008
    Now that I look at it, I notice it's just a weed.

Where's my Roundup?

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    LOL!!!
  • edited February 2008
    Thank you for bumping this thread. I missed it the first time around. Nice.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Couldn't help it, had to add it as my wallpaper as well. I'm also going to superimpose the following: Life is resilient. Where ever possible, the indomitable will to live will prevail.
  • edited February 2008
    Now that I look at it, I notice it's just a weed.

Where's my Roundup?
    AH! But a weed with a will to live.
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Yes, thanks for the bump!!!
    I see 2 things here.
    1) I see the asphalt as the world, with the plant being any of us in the process of reaching or striving for enlightenment.

2) The plant could represent the end result of unrelenting persistance and determination of an individual battling through all sorts of obstacles.

OK OK: Or, it is just a weed that managed to get through the narrowest part of the pavement. (#3)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    I like #1 and #2!
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Me too!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Or it could just be a plant...

Palzang
    edited February 2008
    Oh come off it Pally....
    That's like saying you're "just a monk".....!:wavey: :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, exactly.

Palzang