Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Whew! Well, I'm moved...

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited July 2010 in General Banter
Can I just say that on the one hand I *hate* the hassle of moving. But on the other hand, it does force one to acknowledge how much "stuff" one has amassed. I was fairly ruthless in getting rid of it during the packing phase, and yet I filled up an entire large (26' long) truck - and I'm a single person! To be sure, there were things like washers & dryers, but still. At least the guys doing the moving said my load was small and easy compared to most. It's all in the new house. Scattered helter-skelter, but it's all in. As I unpack boxes I'm being more ruthless in the getting rid of phase again. It's very liberating. Fortunately the weather has cooled considerably from the near 100 degree (F) heat we had on moving day.

Mtns

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Congratulations!

It isnt that hard to move mountains after all!
  • edited July 2010
    Congratulations! I have only moved twice in my life and hope to only move house when I have to.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I have only moved twice in my life and hope to only move house when I have to.

Only twice!!! Holy Moley!!!

I moved 15 times before I was 11... Lived in an old camper-ized school bus for half a year while moving across the country... then a house after that... I only moved once in the next 8 years... over the last 15 years I've moved at least 16 times... That's like 32 times in 34 1/2 years... That's nuts... I hope to only move one more time (from a mobile home we are buying currently to a larger house for my 2 boys to grow up in)...

One benefit I guess to moving so much is that it cultivates a strong detachment to any specific location or dwelling... Or people whom one might otherwise cling to (family, a great neighbor, etc)...
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, I have only moved a handful of times and I've hated each with a passion. It's awful. The packing, the heavy lifting, the trips up and down the stairs with heavy boxes, the unpacking at a smaller place with less storage room (in my case) ALL of it just makes me cringe.

I'm glad you're done with the worst of it. Now you have the less terrible part to look forward to.