Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do I meditate?

edited August 2010 in Meditation
Hello,

I read that daily meditation can help with social anxiety disorder and ADHD and I have severe social anxiety, depression, and possible ADHD and bipolar disorder. I tried meditating for 6 minutes while looking at a picture of a Buddha, and I also tried it for 6 minutes by staring a point in the wall, but I don't know if I'm doing it right, and I don't know if it's safe because I read that meditating does something with the subconscious mind and I don't want to mess with that.
Also I'm not a Buddhist; I'm just trying to see if meditating can help me function better, but as I said I'm not sure if I'm doing it right and if it's safe to practice because I'm a little hesitant to do anything that impacts the powerful subconscious mind.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Shana,
    Check out the following thread and scroll down to reply #6
    http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6306

There is a YouTube of a good beginners meditation instruction.

The following therapies incorporate meditation and/or "mindfulness" into their method.
    * Dialectical Behavior Therapy
    * Acceptance Commitment Therapy
    * Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy

Since you are concerned with issues of mood and the powerful subconscious, I would seek out a therapist if any emotional/mood problems arise as a result of meditation.

Good luck! And know that you have made a good choice! Mindfulness meditation has been shown to be effective with the issues you are seeking help for! My attention and mood have become much better since I've started meditation! :)
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, perhaps I will attempt to embed the video here also

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/03nifVj9pqI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/03nifVj9pqI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  • edited July 2010
    Yes, I took DBT for years and we did a lot of mindfulness exercises (I guess they were also meditations) such as just sitting in silence and obeserving our thoughts non-judgmentally, observing our breathing, looking at a spot somewhere for 5 minutes, describing the details of a painting or toy, and other exercises.
    Is the staring at the Buddha picture a safe was for me to meditate? When I started meditating on it it pulled me in and I didn't want to stop looking at it, like I couldn't take my eyes away from it. I used this picture:

Buddha

I was very relaxed while meditating on this picture and I was scared it would do something with my subconscious mind ( I read deep meditation and relaxation can imprint the subconscious).

I also tried observing my breathing for 6 minutes but I started breathing too fast and hyperventalated so I was hesitant to do another meditation that focuses on the breath.

Thank you, I'll try the meditation in the video.
    edited July 2010
    Meditation can allow trauma to resurface. I would suggest being in therapy before you begin to meditate just in case this happens.

Once you are in therapy and begin to meditate and you start hyperventilating, then consciously slow your rate of breathing. No harm can come to you by hyperventilating if you are already lying down. Once you get used to focusing on the breath, your breathing will become more natural. I used to hyperventilate as well :)
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    This:

http://mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

is a very simple method of meditation, called Zazen. Don't stress too much over what position you end up using to meditate. Regularity is key.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not good with any type of meditation that involves counting or being mindful of the breath, I'm very anxious and I end up hyperventalating and getting dizzy and lightheaded;
    is there another simple meditation I can do that isn't dangerous and doesn't involve counting or being mindful of my breathing?

Also, can meditating help me make friends and/or get a boyfriend? I have severe social anxiety disorder and emotional problems and I have a hard time making friends or being around people.

Thanks!
  • edited August 2010
    It seems like loving kindness meditation is what you should work on. It helped me with similar problems that you have.

Here is one link to audio files on it: http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-meditation.htm

Also, there are many guided meditations on the podcast called "Audio Dharma."

Hope this helps!!
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Shana2712 wrote: »
    I'm not good with any type of meditation that involves counting or being mindful of the breath, I'm very anxious and I end up hyperventalating and getting dizzy and lightheaded;
    is there another simple meditation I can do that isn't dangerous and doesn't involve counting or being mindful of my breathing?

Also, can meditating help me make friends and/or get a boyfriend? I have severe social anxiety disorder and emotional problems and I have a hard time making friends or being around people.

Thanks!

Just stop being scared of what will happen if you start hyperventilating. Ask a therapist or teacher to be present while you meditate if you are really worried about your physical symptoms leading to an anxiety attack (I've had an anxiety attack during meditation, alone, and still turned out alright after going through the experience.) The important think to remember is that you're GOING TO BE OKAY so there's nothing to fear.

It might not help you get a boyfriend, but it will lead you down the path to not craving friends and a boyfriend so badly. And from personal experience, I can tell you that friends and boyfriends (of quality) tend to emerge once I finally can allow myself to be alone and be content with it. I know that sucks to hear, but it's so true!