Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The God Delusion

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited September 2010 in Faith & Religion
I read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins a while back and thought it was like a breath of fresh air. What do you think?

P

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I think he should leave Christians alone and talk about relevant matters.
  • edited July 2010
    More like air of bad breath. :D

No, that is probably unfair. The book is a reasonable synopsis of classical and contemporary arguments against theism and theological positions associated with the Abrahamic religions. Since Dawkins is a good writer, these are presented coherently and accessibly. The refutations are not quite complete, as he missed some of the more intricate apologetic arguments, but that's just a minor point.

My main criticism is that there's hardly anything original in this book, with the possible exception of memetics, which is only an aside. All these debates have been going on for decades, perhaps centuries, and all the arguments are well known, and Dawkins merely follows a well-trodden path. From a philosophical P.O.V. it's therefore slightly boring. Besides, while Dawkins keeps harping the atheism tune, he fails to provide a critical analysis of the same, which makes the whole treaty a little superficial. Great material for talk shows, though.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited July 2010
    I recently read an article called "
    An Agnostic ManifestoAt least we know what we don't know."

Let's get one thing straight: Agnosticism is not some kind of weak-tea atheism. Agnosticism is not atheism or theism. It is radical skepticism, doubt in the possibility of certainty, opposition to the unwarranted certainties that atheism and theism offer.
    Agnostics have mostly been depicted as doubters of religious belief, but recently, with the rise of the "New Atheism"—the high-profile denunciations of religion in best-sellers from scientists such as Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett, and polemicists, such as my colleague Christopher Hitchens—I believe it's important to define a distinct identity for agnosticism, to hold it apart from the certitudes of both theism and atheism.
    rest of the article is here.....http://www.slate.com/id/2258484/pagenum/all/

And then made some positive comments on it at a news web site....MISTAKE.....I became chum for the atheist sharks just waiting to attack. I mean i couldn't convince them that I had no interested in taking a position on whether or not there is a god or not. They insisted that i was an atheist. I finally screamed for help, because the non-believers in God were attacking me! :)
    Haven't read the book...but i'll stick with agnostic - just don't know.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    There are beautiful God concepts with amazing depth and subtlety, even if they don't stand up from a Buddhist perspective. I haven't read God delusion but did read "The Blind Watchmaker", and it looks like Dawkins (who seems like a pretty good guy) doesn't know the depth of these ideas. The new atheists are usually "Flatland" materialists attacking the shallow conceptions of God that God focused contemplatives themselves consider childish.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I think all the standard atheist arguments are valid points and think every religious fundamentalist should be aware of them. But what I've read of Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens is that they make themselves pretty busy shooting the fish in a barrel of scriptural literalism.

I know at least Sam Harris is trying to respond to what he sees as a dangerous escalation of religious fundamentalism in the world and is trying to get people off the fence and start taking a stronger stand toward atheism. If they succeed in their task of reducing fundamentalism in the world I think that would great.

A friend of mine actually found freedom from a fear and guilt ridden form of Christianity in part by reading Harris and Dawkins.

I think the "New Atheists" can be a little mean and dogmatic at times, but in general I like what they are doing.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    What I find unskillful is not the points Dawkins has in his writings, but the purpose he has in sharing them. When I look at contemporary close minded Christians, I don't see ignorance as a cause of their behavior... its fear. So knowledge and proof will only bring more fear and defensiveness. I don't think I've read that specific book, however, so I can only rely on what I know of his other works.

"New Atheists" in so far as I have encountered are not extremely empathic, and whatever empathy they have has dissolved instantaneously in the face of another's ignorance. Where close minded God fearing cling to notions of biblical precedence, these atheists seem to cling to notions of irrefutable truth... and both do so to the detriment of others. I suppose it should be no surprise that those who cling to notions of "God" resemble those who cling to notions of "not-God"
    edited July 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    they make themselves pretty busy shooting the fish in a barrel of scriptural literalism.
    They do seem to focus on that. The Religion vs. Science debate is religiously confused , and it involves a scientific worldview that is trying to eat its own face.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Sam Harris isn't just attacking fundamentalism.
    One of the central themes of this book, however, is that religious moderates are themselves the bearers of a terrible dogma: they imagine that the path to peace will be paved once each of us has learned to respect the unjustified beliefs of others. I hope to show that the very ideal of religious tolerance--born of the notion that every human being should be free to believe whatever the wants about God--is one of the principle forces driving us toward the abyss.
    --Sam Harris, "The End of Faith"
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not a big fan of Professor Dawkins. I don't think he's very original when he talks about religion, but I do like his writing on Evolution. I probably disagree with Sam Harris 95% of the time, but he is dead on with his analysis of the dangers of Islamic fundamentalism. And though he is a progressive liberal, he and Christopher Hitchens deserve great credit for supporting the conservative (and fellow atheist and ex-Muslim) Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
  • edited July 2010
    ...the god of the old testament is argumentatively in all of fiction:jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevent bully.", says Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion p51. He goes on to say, "Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror".

amusing but not too far off the mark.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited July 2010
    shanyin wrote: »

QFT
  • edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    There are beautiful God concepts with amazing depth and subtlety, even if they don't stand up from a Buddhist perspective. I haven't read God delusion but did read "The Blind Watchmaker", and it looks like Dawkins (who seems like a pretty good guy) doesn't know the depth of these ideas. The new atheists are usually "Flatland" materialists attacking the shallow conceptions of God that God focused contemplatives themselves consider childish.

That hits the nail on the head.

In case of Dawkins, the depth of scientific insight that he exposes so brilliantly in books like The Selfish Gene and The Extendend Phenotype is contrasted by the shallowness and self-imposed rigidity of The God Delusion. Yet the The Selfish Gene has sold a million copies since 1976 and The God Delusion has sold more than two million copies since since 2006.

Is there any hope for a society with such deficient reading tastes?

Cheers, Thomas
    edited July 2010
    Dennett's and Dawkins' books have no regard for, nor are written to, other scholars of religion. Their knowledge of religion is woefully limited and spotty, they reference comparative religionists from more than a half century ago, and they ignore the highly relevant and theoretically sophisticated scholars of religion who have been active since the 1970s. When they do refer to scholars of religion, it is only to the pioneers of the cognitive science of religion, especially Pascal Boyer.
    --Armin W. Geertz, "New Atheistic approaches in the cognitive science of religion", in Contemporary Theories Of Religion, ed. Stausberg
    edited July 2010

In case of Dawkins, the depth of scientific insight that he exposes so brilliantly in books like The Selfish Gene and The Extendend Phenotype is contrasted by the shallowness and self-imposed rigidity of The God Delusion. Yet the The Selfish Gene has sold a million copies since 1976 and The God Delusion has sold more than two million copies since since 2006.

Cheers, Thomas

Probably not - but we can still try to see the good in everyone.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    QFT
    I'm looking up QFT because I don't know what it means... ??
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Probably "Quoted for truth," but she may mean that Quantum Field Theory is a more relevant matter. We'll have to wait to hear from her.
  • edited July 2010

I agree, it can get quite old, with how certain Atheists like focusing all their efforts and energies on Christians, and/or Muslims, really, it says more about their lives (or lack thereof) than anything else.
    armando wrote: »
    ...the god of the old testament is argumentatively in all of fiction:jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevent bully.", says Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion p51. He goes on to say, "Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror".

amusing but not too far off the mark.

Although Dawkins should really have understood that many Jews (and even Christians) do not take the Bible completely literally, most Jews don't see God in anthropomorphic terms, and, in the Kabbalah, a lot of the Characters from the Bible are seen as metaphors for processes and emotions in the Mind (both in the mind of God, as well as human beings).

Cheers, Thomas

I agree, his books on Evolution seem to be really great, his books promoting Atheism just read like an Evangelical leaflet. Maybe he should stick to science, rather than pandering to the New Atheists

Although, it does say a lot that not many people are interested in Dawkins 'The Selfish Gene', or other books on science, but, rather only on shallow things like Atheism or insulting other people based on their beliefs.

I haven't read 'The Selfish Gene' in full yet, but, I do find it really interesting, I'm reading 'The Lucifer Principle: The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History' by Harold Bloom, which uses 'The Selfish Gene' as well as other scientific findings, to show how humans are, basically, jerks, evil isn't really contrary to human nature, or even nature herself, but, is an expression of it (you could argue the Christian Gnostics were right - the world is deficient).

David.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I read the God Delusion a couple of years ago. At the time it seemed to rally behind my views at the time as I became very jaundiced towards religion for a while. Being an Atheist at the time it was a great read.

Currently, I have taken a step back from my staunch Atheism and moved into an Agnostic Atheism... So not much of a change, but a change none the less... I believe with more meditation and contemplation I will eventually move into a more Apatheist view...

If I were to read it now I think I would find it more as a form of Atheistic evangelism and atheistic propaganda...
  • edited July 2010
    I think it's OK for Dawkins, Hitchens and others (whom Terry Eagleton refers to collectively as "Ditchkins") to raise again all the old arguments about the impossibility of "God" and the incredibility of the Bible taken literally. There's obviously a market for it and religious gullibility combined with intolerance and fanaticism is a pretty dangerous force. I suspect Harris is also right that religious liberals can find themselves, from their own best intentions, taken for a ride by people who have little liberalism in their hearts and a keen desire to purge the earth of 'sin', especially that of others.

However, I really don't want to engage in any atheist vs theist dispute. Both are sucked in to verbal sparring about terms like "God" and "exist", which require considerable unpacking unless one wants to keep the discussion at a very low level.

I suspect the Buddha, in refusing to discuss questions of eternity, infinity, etc. with Malunkya (Cula-Malunkya-Sutta, in the Majjima Nikaya), did so not only on practical grounds ("How does this help avoid suffering?"), but also because he didn't want to get drawn into discussion of categories he didn't accept (e.g. the idea of a beginning, cause as linear, being as matter, etc), and this is wise unless the discussion allows for clarification of cause, interdependence, impermanence and consciousness at least. But atheists and theists really don't want to do that. They wish to proceed from the simplistic categories they've used since goodness knows when and argue along lines that must produce an answer, even if it is absurd, as it must be given the parameters both agree on.

If I'm expected to go into battle on these matters and can't use Buddhist terms I'd call myself a "theological non-cognitivist" (it's in Wikipedia, I think) and, while the combatants are getting their heads around that, retire gracefully to the margins and then move on to something productive.

For those who are interested in what Buddhism and Physics has to say about beginnings, infinity, causation, interdependence, the limits and place of consciousness and the like - all relevant to the God question, but discussed in an exploratory and respectful manner between two scientists - one a Buddhist monk - I recommend The Quantum and the Lotus by Matthieu Ricard and Trinh Xuan Thuan (Three Rivers Press paperback, 2001)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    Currently, I have tacken a step back from my staunch Atheism and moved into an Agnostic Atheism... So not much of a change, but a change none the less... I believe with more meditation and contemplation I will eventually move into a more Apatheist view...

Yes, that's similar to what I've been going through. :o

P
    edited July 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Probably "Quoted for truth," but she may mean that Quantum Field Theory is a more relevant matter. We'll have to wait to hear from her.

No I meant Quoted For Truth :D
  • edited July 2010

Not speaking for all atheists here. Just saw a lot of people making statements about atheists, and not a lot of atheists commenting (though I can kind of see why, with the environment in this thread).

I don't know what country you live in, shanyin, but my country limits both my contractual rights and rights to medical consent because of the grip this particular religious movement (or at least, a set of movements within it) has on our political system. People who don't worry about Christians are, in my experience as a student of religion and someone active in politics, people who fall into one of two categories.

1. They don't understand the ways in which many people's lives are negatively impacted by the cultural supremacy of Christianity in many countries (such as the USA), and therefore just aren't alert to what's going on.

2. They are protected by other forms of privilege (male, white, class, straight) that somewhat protect them from how marginalized they are by not being Christians in a culture where Christianity is the preferred way of believing and practicing.

In short, Christians matter because (at least in the USA) they vote like everybody else. The actions, values, and beliefs of others affect who we are. It's part of what goes into this thing people mistakenly see as their "self." The impacts of our environment make us who we are, and as a result, I consider it very much my business what other people believe. These people are my culture, a part of my social environment, whether I like it or not. I cannot escape the impact they have on my choices, my experiences, and my opportunities. I can control how I react to them, but to imply that people who worry about Christians don't have lives (thanks, David2009, for the ad hominem; it makes new people like me feel super welcome) is a little short-sighted and more than a little mean-spirited.

In countries where Christianity is not the dominant tradition, it is certainly true that The God Delusion loses a lot of its punch. However, Dawkins comes from a nation where there is quite literally an official religion, and y'all get one guess as to what it is. I'm sure if Dawkins had developed his worldview in India, he'd have been as critical of Hinduism as a lot of Buddhists are. =P
    edited July 2010
    Cobalt wrote: »
    Not speaking for all atheists here. Just saw a lot of people making statements about atheists, and not a lot of atheists commenting (though I can kind of see why, with the environment in this thread).

I can assure you Cobalt, atheists certainly do not get a raw deal here. Try reading other threads and you'll quickly see that.
    In short, Christians matter because (at least in the USA) they vote like everybody else. The actions, values, and beliefs of others affect who we are. It's part of what goes into this thing people mistakenly see as their "self." The impacts of our environment make us who we are, and as a result, I consider it very much my business what other people believe. These people are my culture, a part of my social environment, whether I like it or not. I cannot escape the impact they have on my choices, my experiences, and my opportunities. I can control how I react to them, but to imply that people who worry about Christians don't have lives (thanks, David2009, for the ad hominem; it makes new people like me feel super welcome) is a little short-sighted and more than a little mean-spirited.

You could substitute Buddhist/Muslim/Pagan etc for the word Christian in the above blurb with no problems Cobalt. And I've re-read David2009's posts and fail to see the mean spirit. Unless of course, you mean by him having a differing opinion to yours is being mean spirited.

If you're talking about this part:
    Although, it does say a lot that not many people are interested in Dawkins 'The Selfish Gene', or other books on science, but, rather only on shallow things like Atheism or insulting other people based on their beliefs.

then David's right. Any interview or piece I've read on Dawkins in particular shows him taking great delight in denigrating and insulting anyone who believes in a deity of any sort. That is not necessary for a man of his intelligence to get his point across. He even condescends to newcomers to atheism as well. During his talk in Sydney Australia, he asked anyone if they were new to atheism and when one person bravely put up their hand, his response was to make the person visible and then in a rather condescending tone say "It's ok, I'll talk slowly and use small words for you" Hardly a poster boy for portraying atheists in a good light.

Personally, I have no problems with people being atheists (even if I don't agree with them). However, I have issues with them (or ANYONE for that matter) making personal attacks on someone because they disagree with them. And by some of the replies on this thread, I am not the only one.

If this seems mean spirited to you, then I'm very sorry but I fail to see it as David's or anyone else's issue.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • edited July 2010
    I'm sure if Dawkins had developed his worldview in India, he'd have been as critical of Hinduism as a lot of Buddhists are.

Had Dawkins developed his worldview in India, his religion books would probably be much more interesting. :D
    :lol:

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited July 2010
    If Dawkins is a smart guy, then he should realize that no mass of atheistic books will ever cause religion to be invalidated on the base of reason. This 'militant atheism' really does nobody any good, because people will believe what they will believe. Actually, confronting people with opposition to their belief often just causes people become defensive and less reasonable (and thus less likely to be swayed by such arguments).

I believe South Park satirized the whole debate in the two Go God Go episodes.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Many of us who received a scientific and rational education as well as a literary one come up against a number of "arguments for the existence of God" which appear more or less coherent, whilst, at the same time, remaining unconvinced. We may have some difficulty in countering some but not all of the arguments because some (but not all) are advanced by clever and well-educated people.

If you, too, are in this position, i.e. still unconvinced but without good counter-arguments, you might enjoy an excellent novel by one of US atheism's 'poster girls' who calls herself an "atheist with a heart". Old friends here will know my admiration for this fine US philosopher and teacher:

Rebecca Goldstein, 36 Arguments for the Existence of God - A Work of Fiction
    The appendix contains the 36 traditional arguments and good, solidly argued refutations.

Of course, those of us who also say that there is just not enough evidence either way, philosophical debate will never fully settle the question.
    edited July 2010
    This 'militant atheism' really does nobody any good, because people will believe what they will believe. Actually, confronting people with opposition to their belief often just causes people become defensive and less reasonable (and thus less likely to be swayed by such arguments).
    Let's try this logic in a different context. "This 'militant anti-slavery' really does nobody any good, because people will believe what they will believe." Does that seem like a reasonable statement?

This "militancy" is the one area where I agree with the New Atheists. In many countries peoples' rights are limited by other people's religious beliefs. This isn't going to change unless the people affected are militant. Not confronting Christians about gay marriage doesn't seem to have gotten any laws changed. To the extent that gays have been able to assert their rights on this issue, it's been by bringing the issue to public attention and confronting their opponents. We're not going to keep creationism out of science classes unless we confront creationists and supporters of Intelligent Design theories.

For many people, "militancy" is part of their religion. The idea that they can be militant, but atheists who respond in kind are somehow making militant people defensive strikes me as bizarre. By what right are religious groups allowed to confront every one else with their beliefs without being confronted with opposition? Free debate, at least in theory, is supposed to contribute to democracy and good government. Why are atheists at fault for participating in a public debate?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It isn't "God delusions" that cause the trouble, it is the hierarchies and clerical institutions that accrete around them.

Strange that many sensibly anti-clerical activists waste their time on the irrelevancy. To misquote the pro-weapons people, it's not religion that oppresses people, it's religious people.
  • edited July 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    What I find unskillful is not the points Dawkins has in his writings, but the purpose he has in sharing them. When I look at contemporary close minded Christians, I don't see ignorance as a cause of their behavior... its fear. So knowledge and proof will only bring more fear and defensiveness. I don't think I've read that specific book, however, so I can only rely on what I know of his other works.

"New Atheists" in so far as I have encountered are not extremely empathic, and whatever empathy they have has dissolved instantaneously in the face of another's ignorance. Where close minded God fearing cling to notions of biblical precedence, these atheists seem to cling to notions of irrefutable truth... and both do so to the detriment of others. I suppose it should be no surprise that those who cling to notions of "God" resemble those who cling to notions of "not-God"

I think the New Atheists are probably the minority of Atheists, unfortunately, they're the most vocal and loud-mouthed, most Atheists, like most religious people, are probably just trying to live their own lives, without getting bothered by people, it's a shame the most vocal people, of any group, get the media attention.
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Sam Harris isn't just attacking fundamentalism.

I think he also said, for those who hold certain beliefs, killing them could be the only option, which, kind of, sounds like what the Church of the Witch hunts, the Inquisition, etc thought, and what Al Qaeda would like too.

I don't know what country you live in, shanyin, but my country limits both my contractual rights and rights to medical consent because of the grip this particular religious movement (or at least, a set of movements within it) has on our political system. People who don't worry about Christians are, in my experience as a student of religion and someone active in politics, people who fall into one of two categories.

1. They don't understand the ways in which many people's lives are negatively impacted by the cultural supremacy of Christianity in many countries (such as the USA), and therefore just aren't alert to what's going on.

2. They are protected by other forms of privilege (male, white, class, straight) that somewhat protect them from how marginalized they are by not being Christians in a culture where Christianity is the preferred way of believing and practicing.

In countries where Christianity is not the dominant tradition, it is certainly true that The God Delusion loses a lot of its punch. However, Dawkins comes from a nation where there is quite literally an official religion, and y'all get one guess as to what it is. I'm sure if Dawkins had developed his worldview in India, he'd have been as critical of Hinduism as a lot of Buddhists are. =P

Sorry if you took offence, but, it wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at people who just seem to take every opportunity to attack religious people, and religions. Also, I don't think Dawkins argument holds much water here (UK), the Church of England may be the "official religion" of the UK, but, it's more a figurehead, like the Queen (who is considered the Head of the CoE), the UK is, pretty much, a Secular country. I've never had creationism taught to me at school, or really seen much influence of religion.

If you come from a country, where the Religious Right, are quite powerful and can be a threat, then, criticize them, but, there's no need, IMO, to alienate other religious people, and attack all adherents of Christianity (or whatever). In this world, especially now, we need more compassion for others, not less.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    You could substitute Buddhist/Muslim/Pagan etc for the word Christian in the above blurb with no problems Cobalt.
    I don't think Buddhists, Muslims, and Pagans combined even make a dent of an impact with their votes in the US. xD That would create a problem.
  • edited July 2010
    There are three strands in this thread, covering:
    1. atheism = opposition to theism on philosophical/logical grounds
    2. anti-religion = opposition to organized religion and religious belief
    3. anti-religious people = opposition to fundamentalists, religious bigots and, perhaps, religious liberals for their perceived tolerance of the former.

One can be atheistic on philosophical grounds while not opposed to all forms of religion or "religious" people. Indeed, some religious people - a minority but a growing one - accept a role for an organized religion that accepts or tolerates atheistic views within its ranks. Lloyd Gearing, Don Cupitt, Bishop Richard Holloway and, perhaps, Bishop John Spong are some names in the Christian tradition who have this view.

The Ditchkins-Harris-Dennett camp seems to incorporate all three strands in their campaign and that may be strategically wise. The strands are related. However, they are not identical, and in some ways the relationship is quite loose, e.g. among Buddhists around the world who may or may not be theists of a kind (pre-modern Buddhism, as practiced in Thailand, incorporates demi-gods and angels). And Unitarian-Universalists, Liberal Quakers and Christians who are atheists (e.g. the Sea of Faith Network) are hard to fit into the categories favored in polemics.

Even if we see the need for some atheist militancy on whatever grounds, we should in our private moments acknowledge that it's all more complex than the polemics of the contestants admits.
    edited July 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    I don't think Buddhists, Muslims, and Pagans combined even make a dent of an impact with their votes in the US. xD That would create a problem.

I doubt it would make a dent in any country where voting is only optional. I must confess though, I was not thinking along those lines, more along the lines of my own country's sytem (Australia). So while I acknowledge your statement is probably true for the US, I believe my original statement would be more applicable to the countries who have mandatory voting.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • edited July 2010
    Let's try this logic in a different context. "This 'militant anti-slavery' really does nobody any good, because people will believe what they will believe." Does that seem like a reasonable statement?

Good point. I suppose what I was trying to get at is that attacking the personal nature of belief with logic rarely gains any ground. If you were to confront 19th century slave traders with logical/ethical arguments about how slavery is wrong and immoral, they would have just told you to get the hell off their ship/plantation, and you would have gotten nowhere. No progress can be made by going after individual beliefs.

The anti-slavery movement in America wasn't successful by winning 'x' number of debates, it was ultimately effective because Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, and the North won the Civil War. That's militant in its own respect. But for the sake of this debate, I'll go ahead and try to define what I meant by 'militant atheism'.

By militancy, I mean the individual confrontations which start off as reasonable conversation, roll right past intelligent debate, and go straight to utter defensiveness and emotion. By and large, people don't have faith in an omniscient God-being because they reasoned their way to it; true believers have a strong emotional and psychological attachment to the comforting feeling of the God ideal. So what sense does it make to make 'attacks' of logic and reason on something which has little basis in either?

I think another important aspect of this stance is the time period over which these types of changes can occur. Again, speaking in generalization, you're not going to change a legitimate religious practitioner's beliefs over the course of a single - or even several - debates. The general consenting opinion on slavery didn't change right after slavery was abolished; hell, segregation and racism still persisted quite significantly for about a century after! It wasn't until certain legislation had passed and a new generation grew up in a more equal atmosphere that genuine progress had been made.

As long as humans inhabit the universe, some sort of god-based religion will ultimately persist; I don't think there's any denying that. But steps can be taken to make religion less of a system of politics, and more of a respected (not feared), private, individual matter (not that practicing religion need be private, but that the choice should be one's own, not a government's or a family's). For this, I think what you're interpreting as militancy is what I would call activism. But first let's make sure we're heading down the path toward societal change, and not marooned in the swamp of ego-building as we try to best others' beliefs with our superior :-/ wisdom.

BB
  • edited July 2010
    Let's try this logic in a different context. "This 'militant anti-slavery' really does nobody any good, because people will believe what they will believe."

I don't think that's a good point at all. In fact, I think that comparing atheism to anti-slavery is a fallacy. Theism does not enslave people. Theism does not violate human rights or disadvantage minorities.
    We're not going to keep creationism out of science classes unless we confront creationists and supporters of Intelligent Design theories.

This strikes me as too America-centric. In Europe, creationism is totally out of the class rooms despite most European nations being majority Christian. Why can't it be done in America? It's not a question of atheism versus theism; it's a question of education policy.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited July 2010
    I don't think that's a good point at all. In fact, I think that comparing atheism to anti-slavery is a fallacy. Theism does not enslave people. Theism does not violate human rights or disadvantage minorities.
    Irrelevant. I was pointing out a problem with the logic, not comparing one movement with another.
    This strikes me as too America-centric. In Europe, creationism is totally out of the class rooms despite most European nations being majority Christian. Why can't it be done in America? It's not a question of atheism versus theism; it's a question of education policy.
    Of course it's education policy. That's why there's a debate. What point are you trying to make?

The point I was making was that confrontation and debate are part of political discourse. Telling a particular group to avoid confrontation because it makes their opponents defensive makes no sense.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    The point I was making was that confrontation and debate are part of political discourse. Telling a particular group to avoid confrontation because it makes their opponents defensive makes no sense.

Militant suggests aggression, and aggression almost never leads to the results that you want. And, if it does, the aggregate cost is so high that the foundation of the breakthrough is compromised. For instance, MLK Jr. was not militant, but co-creative and firm. Malcolm X was militant. When we examine whose life and death served to overcome adversity with more lasting power, there is no comparison.

Can't one debate without being militant? I think the issue is that condemning another's beliefs, especially with aggressive intent, is harming, not helping. Do you really think the intent of militant atheism is about wisdom and balanced social change? I see about as much wisdom in militant behavior as a two year old child throwing a temper tantrum... even if the underlying perceptions they see are somewhat valid.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited July 2010
    Irrelevant. I was pointing out a problem with the logic, not comparing one movement with another.

Precisely therein lies the fallacy. You cannot separate logic from semantics in this statement. Again, theism is a belief in a deity. It does not violate the rights of others and therefore does not justify militant opposition.
    Of course it's education policy. That's why there's a debate. What point are you trying to make?

The point I am trying to make is that beliefs and policies should be kept separate - the very foundation of secular government. Hence, the debate should not revolve around theism vs. atheism, because confrontation just hardens the fronts.

The debate should explore in how far religious ideals have encroached upon politics in America and whether that is a wholesome development. America was a secular nation until the middle of the 20th century, but somehow things changed since "one nation under God" was added to the pledge of allegiance.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited July 2010
    "........therein lies the fallacy. You cannot separate logic from semantics in this statement....."
    edited July 2010
    For instance, MLK Jr. was not militant, but co-creative and firm. Malcolm X was militant. When we examine whose life and death served to overcome adversity with more lasting power, there is no comparison.
    You're making an arbitrary and meaningless distinction. MLK was militant, he confronted his opponents, and he made them defensive. Eventually they killed him. He used a different rhetoric than Malcolm X, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't militant.
  • edited July 2010
    I think the issue is that condemning another's beliefs, especially with aggressive intent, is harming, not helping. Do you really think the intent of militant atheism is about wisdom and balanced social change? I see about as much wisdom in militant behavior as a two year old child throwing a temper tantrum... even if the underlying perceptions they see are somewhat valid.

Here is where I explain why The Tone Argument kind of sucks, and why I sort of wish I weren't feeling like it's getting tossed around in this thread.

Contrary to advice which has appeared in this thread, atheists will not get further by being less confrontational, less overt, and more silent. Not only are these suggestions not true, but they really sound an awful lot like a transparent and slightly-more-patronizing way of telling atheists to shut up. This isn't just directed at you, since you're not the only one who seems to be telling atheists, "What you resist persists, so just sit back and wait for the religious people to stop restricting your life whenever they're ready. It won't help anything causing a fuss." Not even the only one in this thread.

If atheist activists really seem like kids throwing a tantrum to you, then you might be having more angry and emotional confrontations with atheists than I ever did, even when I was a theist. If atheists get angry with you a lot, this might be why. The idea that they should not confront beliefs they disagree with, lest they be confused for whiny cranky babies? Not exactly a choice of options most atheists I know would appreciate being offered (any more than the transgendered people I know, or the people of color, or anybody else who is so frequently asked to be "nice" as a euphemism for "silent").

If atheists don't have the serene and enlightened wisdom to treat this seeming-disregard as a valuable opportunity to learn patience and instead just bite your head off, this might be why.
    edited July 2010
    Precisely therein lies the fallacy. You cannot separate logic from semantics in this statement.
    I can and did.
    The point I am trying to make is that beliefs and policies should be kept separate - the very foundation of secular government. Hence, the debate should not revolve around theism vs. atheism, because confrontation just hardens the fronts.
    OK, I got your point. It's still irrelevant. What you would like political debate to be has no bearing on what it actually is, or on how people go about getting laws made.
    The debate should explore in how far religious ideals have encroached upon politics in America and whether that is a wholesome development. America was a secular nation until the middle of the 20th century...
    You obviously don't know much about US social history.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    You're making an arbitrary and meaningless distinction. MLK was militant, he confronted his opponents, and he made them defensive. Eventually they killed him. He used a different rhetoric than Malcolm X, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't militant.

To me, this is a critical distinction, and represents the core of the delusion that seems to hold the mind of militant atheists. If you take in the content of any of MLK's work, can't you hear or see how his actions were strong, well rooted and compassionate? They were not aggressive, fighting, or condemning, or condescending.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Contrary to advice which has appeared in this thread, atheists will not get further by being less confrontational, less overt, and more silent. Not only are these suggestions not true, but they really sound an awful lot like a transparent and slightly-more-patronizing way of telling atheists to shut up. This isn't just directed at you, since you're not the only one who seems to be telling atheists, "What you resist persists, so just sit back and wait for the religious people to stop restricting your life whenever they're ready. It won't help anything causing a fuss." Not even the only one in this thread.

I find it intriguing that you consider my words to be attempting to tell people to stop working for positive social change. This is a clear misunderstanding of the point I am making. In fact, nearly every breath I take is intentioned along the ideas of creating lasting positive social change in myself and the world around me. I just know that working with reality aggressively is unskillful, and never yields the fruit we want. One can be strong, confident, accepting and well rooted into compassion... and be vocal without aggression. Have you ever seen a seed grow faster by yelling at it?

My interactions with atheists are usually quite civil. I have a pervasive acceptance for their point of view, and agree that there is a lot of challenge expressed by humankind in the form of religion. They don't turn their ideological ranting toward me. When I see them rant and tantrum, it is usually them judging religious people and the beliefs that hold them.

What I find interesting is you projected exactly the kind of situation I was speaking of. You assumed that I am instigating the aggressive response from atheists, which prevents civil and productive exchange. This is exactly the behavior that I see in atheists, as they tell God-fearing people their beliefs are bullshit, they are uprooting any chance to help.

With warmth,

Matt
    edited July 2010
    If you take in the content of any of MLK's work, can't you hear or see how his actions were strong, well rooted and compassionate? They were not aggressive, fighting, or condemning, or condescending.
    aggressive; vigorously active or aggressive, esp. in support of a cause.

Active and aggressive are alternatives, so one can be militant because one is active, without being aggressive. Fighting, condemning, and condescending aren't part of the definition.

And let's be clear; whether you think MLK was aggressive or not is a matter of view point. His opponents thought his tactics were aggressive.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    And let's be clear; whether you think MLK was aggressive or not is a matter of view point. His opponents thought his tactics were aggressive.

This statement is not clear, so if your intention is to be clear to me, you might need to help me. MLK's 'militantness' is based on his opponents viewpoint, rather than mine? That doesn't make sense to me, but.. well... go! Listen or read for yourself! Do his words ring like a militant, or do they ring like a dharma talk?

I have no desire to quibble over definitions with you Ren. My only hope is that it can be seen that acting from inner aggression is not skillful, and those of us who wish to have a positive influence on the world of social reform needs to do so from a place of compassion. We don't turn a human heart by beating them up with our willpower, we only implant resentment. We cannot win by fighting with the soil, we just implant more aggression with every swing... and then are surprised when rotten fruit come to bear.

With warmth,

Matt
    edited July 2010
    This statement is not clear, so if your intention is to be clear to me, you might need to help me. MLK's 'militantness' is based on his opponents viewpoint, rather than mine?
    Where did I say that his militancy was based on his opponents' viewpoint?
    Do his words ring like a militant, or do they ring like a dharma talk?
    His actions were militant, and aroused opposition.
    I have no desire to quibble over definitions with you Ren.
    And yet that is what you chose to do.
    My only hope is that it can be seen that acting from inner aggression is not skillful, and those of us who wish to have a positive influence on the world of social reform needs to do so from a place of compassion. We don't turn a human heart by beating them up with our willpower, we only implant resentment. We cannot win by fighting with the soil, we just implant more aggression with every swing... and then are surprised when rotten fruit come to bear.
    And where did the aggression the MLK encountered come from? Where did the resentment over his uppityness come from? Where did the jailings and the final assassination come from?

As long as you're not opposing someone's attempts to impose their beliefs on other people, you can be understanding and non-confrontational and avoid unpleasantness. But if you have to stand up for your rights, there's no way to sugar coat it and you're going to encounter a lot of anger from people who believe they have the right to limit your rights, regardless of how gentle and loving you are abut it.
  • edited July 2010
    OK, I got your point. It's still irrelevant. What you would like political debate to be has no bearing on what it actually is, or on how people go about getting laws made.

Have you adopted a fatalistic point of view now? That doesn't strike me as very helpful. I think that pitching the atheist camp against theists isn't going to achieve much, because both parties will simply try to maximise their political influence, most likely by using (and abusing) the media and inciting conflict. Not a very wise course of action. Instead, one might ask whether such debates have any business at all in the political arena.

So, how are laws being made? In case of education, there's usually an education ministry or a similar body that prescribes generally binding guidelines. If the government is secular, the decisions of this body must not influenced by religious factors. If there are indications that religious factors influence policy decisions, then it must be asked whether the government lives up its ideals. The resulting debate is not about theism vs. atheism, but a meta-debate.
    You obviously don't know much about US social history.

Well, I know that much: the USA has been established upon the principles of secularism and religious freedom by its founding fathers. It has meanwhile developed a tendency, especially in the form of Republican conservatives, which in spirit contradicts the first clause of the first amendment. The political clout of Christianity in the US and the linkages between government and religious institutions is something you won't find in most European nations. President Bush was a case in point, and he was considered a bit of a nut case by many European statesmen, for his religious conviction.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited July 2010
    Theism does not enslave people. Theism does not violate human rights or disadvantage minorities.

It's been doing that quite successfully for a couple of thousand years.

P
    edited July 2010
    So are people who believe in God "delusional", as Dawkins' title suggests?

P
  • edited July 2010

Cheers, Thomas

QFT, I was never taught Creationism in school, in fact, religious beliefs never came up (except in Religious Studies, where we learnt about different religions). I think it says more about the American education system, or society in general, than it does about religion, or Theism vs. Non-Theism.
    Can't one debate without being militant? I think the issue is that condemning another's beliefs, especially with aggressive intent, is harming, not helping. Do you really think the intent of militant atheism is about wisdom and balanced social change? I see about as much wisdom in militant behavior as a two year old child throwing a temper tantrum... even if the underlying perceptions they see are somewhat valid.

I agree with aMatt, you can debate with somebody, even disagree with them completely, without attacking their beliefs, or even them personally. That's what militant Atheists do.

MLK was not "militant", he never, verbally or any other way, attacked those of a different skin colour, or those of different beliefs, he helped unite people, what some militant Atheists (and some militant Theists) do is alienate people, instead of bringing them together.
This discussion has been closed.