Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma practice and positivity\negativity ratio.

NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
edited July 2010 in General Banter
I was watching some videos on youtube and I saw this woman talking about positivity\negativity ratio.( Harvard Medical School Coaching Conference 2009 - couldn't get the embed code).

Apparently having a 3-to-1 ratio is conducive to change and resilience. By all means I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea of how serious it is. (I actually think it is quack, but it seems fun).

There is a test online to determine it at http://www.positivityratio.com/single.php. So I thought it would be fun to take the test and compare to how long we have been in the Dharma. Take it as a game. :)

Mine was 7-to-1, and I have been a buddhist for about 11 years.

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    There is a test online to determine it at

I always fail online tests so I'm not taking it...:p

How about that for a positive attitude?:lol:

P
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Porpoise, you made me laugh!

I did take the test. Apparently ten years of practicing buddhism leads to a Positivity Ratio of 10.00

Positivity Score 10
    Negativity Score 1

The negativity? We both ordered egg salad sandwiches. After about 10 minutes, I leaned over to my companion and said, "How LONG can it take to make egg salad sandwiches? I was hungry and starting to feel annoyed.

My companion joked, "Maybe they have to boil the eggs first".

I saw motion out of the corner of my eye and turned my head to see the waitress had opened the refrigerator door and was now taking out some eggs. At that point, I broke into laughter, and decided to drop the annoyance. Life is my best teacher.
  • edited July 2010
    I am not sure whether positivity can be measured, but I am always wary of psychologists who quote Nietzsche. ;)

Cheers, Thomas