Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A changing experience of "body"

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited July 2010 in Philosophy
I have been noticing how through meditation the sense of body, of "this body", has changed from pre-practice days until now. There has been a kind of progression. It looks something like this.....

1. I am a mind subject inside my body. My body is bound by skin. It is me, mine. Beyond my skin is an indifferent world that is not me. Me and my body are a warm spot in a cold world, I need to draw near to other warm spots. I am very aware of my existential vulnerability.

2. My mind and body are one thing, but this perception wavers. I also have a perception of the space in which my body moves. I am part of the world, I am connected to it, but it is still not me. There is existential vulnerability but it remains superficial.

3. I am a still silence and my mind and body are objects along with the world, The body sense and the sense of the environmental space in which the body moves, are a single sensation.
There is no existential vulnerability. There are superficial disturbances.

4. Mind, body, and environment, are a single sensation, There is no subject seeing this, there is only the body and mind belonging to the karma of the world . The world is self luminous. Alone. There is no existential vulnerability. There are no superficial disturbances.

At this point in practice body sense 1 is gone. When some heavy karmic button gets pushed there can be moments of body sense 2. The default mode is body sense 3. In times of strong practice (like on retreat) there is body sense 4. The basic movement over time is of the sense of "body" including more and more until it includes the totality of experience. It goes from being a discreet object within a field, to being a field in which descete objects live and move, to being both. This is not a created sense, it is already there, just screened out, so this is an uncovering process.

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    To (badly) paraphrase a bumper sticker: My body is my vehicle. My other vehicle is the mahayana.
  • edited July 2010
    Hm, interesting.

The skinbag theory sounds too hollow even in daily life with normal conscious states. I mean, the body-mind interconnection is just too obvious.

In meditation, I sometimes get to the point where the body sort of falls away and isn't noticed any longer, but the subject-object dichotomy is still there.

Cheers, Thomas
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    The skinbag theory sounds too hollow even in daily life with normal conscious states. I mean, the body-mind interconnection is just too obvious.

In meditation, I sometimes get to the point where the body sort of falls away and isn't noticed any longer, but the dichotomy is still there.
    The theory of a body-mind "interconnection" is no less dualistic than a skinbag theory. It is like saying there is an interconnection between wetness and water.

The OP was not an attempt at a theory. It isn't trying to prove or disprove anything. It is a description, a painting, of the experience of "body", and how this has changed over the long term . It might ring a bell, it might not.
  • edited July 2010
    Very fascinating and amazing :)
    I meditate and meditate and......Buddha Amitabha has not appeared with my lotus flower yet....so...I just keep on meditating and meditating.... :D
    edited July 2010
    Disney wrote: »
    Buddha Amitabha has not appeared with my lotus flower yet
    Me niether....... :(.

That avatar was use once by a fellow in the San Francisco Bay area. That you?
  • edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Me niether....... :(.

That avatar was use once by a fellow in the San Francisco Bay area. That you?

Just be cheerful and open mindedness in your meditation. When we meet in the Land of Ultimate Bliss one day, you would know the real self. The fellow is just another body of our truth self :)
    edited July 2010
    I was just being silly with the sad-face, and am not practicing in The Pure Land tradition. Much respect though, and no doubt of the truth you speak.

....also I take it your not my old acquaintance from the bay area.:)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    What is a "land of ultimate bliss" and what is a "true self"?
  • edited July 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    What is a "land of ultimate bliss" and what is a "true self"?
    The body of GuyC is a "land" and its mind of that land is the ultimate bliss, both added together is true self :lol:
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have been noticing how through meditation the sense of body, of "this body", has changed from pre-practice days until now. There has been a kind of progression. It looks something like this.....

1. I am a mind subject inside my body. My body is bound by skin. It is me, mine. Beyond my skin is an indifferent world that is not me. Me and my body are a warm spot in a cold world, I need to draw near to other warm spots. I am very aware of my existential vulnerability.

2. My mind and body are one thing, but this perception wavers. I also have a perception of the space in which my body moves. I am part of the world, I am connected to it, but it is still not me. There is existential vulnerability but it remains superficial.

3. I am a still silence and my mind and body are objects along with the world, The body sense and the sense of the environmental space in which the body moves, are a single sensation.
    There is no existential vulnerability. There are superficial disturbances.

4. Mind, body, and environment, are a single sensation, There is no subject seeing this, there is only the body and mind belonging to the karma of the world . The world is self luminous. Alone. There is no existential vulnerability. There are no superficial disturbances.

At this point in practice body sense 1 is gone. When some heavy karmic button gets pushed there can be moments of body sense 2. The default mode is body sense 3. In times of strong practice (like on retreat) there is body sense 4. The basic movement over time is of the sense of "body" including more and more until it includes the totality of experience. It goes from being a discreet object within a field, to being a field in which descete objects live and move, to being both. This is not a created sense, it is already there, just screened out, so this is an uncovering process.
    Hi Richard,

First of all I must thank you for your clear description... you are able to articulate the experience very well :)

I once asked Thusness about the body-mind drop-off question. It is a rather similar sort of question...

Anyway, I (and Thusness) would call experience 3) the experience of One Mind, and 4) the experience of No Mind.

What you described as 4 is No-Mind, but to have effortless and constant experience of 4), insight of Anatta need to arise.

The center and still point will not disappear as a result of intermittent experience of no-mind. It requires deep insight of Anatta to realize the fundamental flaw of wrong view as the cause of the center. The center is the karmic tendency to hold, but in actual experience, it is just the world that is self-luminous. Always and only this vivid obviousness, nothing else.

So forget about the still point at the center of a turning world, all points on the surface of a sphere are 'A center'. The article on Tada! will be helpful.
  • edited July 2010
    The theory of a body-mind "interconnection" is no less dualistic than a skinbag theory. It is like saying there is an interconnection between wetness and water.

Any wording that employs the concept of body and mind is bound to be dualistic. However, the skinbag theory -which is a deprecative name for the theory of embodiment- exaggerates this duality to the point of insanity. It just feels wrong to me... on the other hand, the mind/body duality runs incredibly deep... I don't think that wetness and water describes the idea of interconnectedness accurately, because the physical and the nonphysical have no common conceptual ground, or perhaps... whatever common ground there is lies beyond words.
    The OP was not an attempt at a theory. It isn't trying to prove or disprove anything.

Yes, I know. I tried to relate to it, but it appears that I could not.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited July 2010
    xabir wrote: »
    The center and still point will not disappear as a result of intermittent experience of no-mind. It requires deep insight of Anatta to realize the fundamental flaw of wrong view as the cause of the center. The center is the karmic tendency to hold, but in actual experience, it is just the world that is self-luminous. Always and only this vivid obviousness, nothing else
    Thank you xabir. This is very precisely helpful.
    edited July 2010
    Any wording that employs the concept of body and mind is bound to be dualistic. However, the skinbag theory -which is a deprecative name for the theory of embodiment- exaggerates this duality to the point of insanity.
    Yes I agree, yet that insanity was the felt experience of body I began with. I remember as a 10 year old child waiting in my fathers car while he attended to some business somewhere. It was winter and there was nothing outside but a frozen sidewalk in an industrial park, with blowing ice crystals snaking along the concrete. I was inside this, car, coat, and finally ....skin. Out there was an indifferent mechanical world of heartless particles. I was not that, I was warm, living. "I" was in here, "it" was out there. This perception of body was a combination of personal psychology and a kind of neo-newtonian mechanistic world view that was the given of my culture. So yes it is exaggerated, truly insane, but I would suggest not uncommon.

It just feels wrong to me... on the other hand, the mind/body duality runs incredibly deep... I don't think that wetness and water describes the idea of interconnectedness accurately, because the physical and the nonphysical have no common conceptual ground, or perhaps... whatever common ground there is lies beyond words.
    I dont see "interconnection" at all. Interconnection is based on there being two things to connect. There aren't. "Common ground" implies a split where there is none. It is only an experienced mis-perception. There is no ground to return to.
    edited July 2010
    Ha . ...interesting. I wrote about the cold street before reading xabir's link to this.....

"In the colder autumn air, the trees are changing colour and fallen leaves line the gutters of the streets. And seeing this, we know winter is coming. But although most of us sitting here today have seen this happen again and and again, year after year after year, we don't really know what the cold of winter will actually be like. We have memories of cold fingers, the sound of snow crunching underfoot, memories of having to put on many layers to protect ourselves from an icy wind. But memories of cold are not the reality of cold. It is what it is and we will know cold when it is...cold. Tada. And now, before the snow comes, we see the colour fading from our immediate world as the trees lose their leaves and bare branches stand out black against a graying sky. And mixed into, and swirling along with the leaves in the street, are discarded paper cups, gum wrappers, used Kleenex and the odd sandwich wrapper. All swirling in the wind. Is it beautiful? Is it ugly? Neither. Is it good or bad? Neither. It is Tada"

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2010/04/tada.html
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    the sense of body, of "this body", has changed from pre-practice days until now. There has been a kind of progression. It looks something like this.....

Be honest now, what you really wanted to say was..."Man-Boobs":lol:
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2010
    \What you described as 4 is No-Mind, but to have effortless and constant experience of 4), insight of Anatta need to arise.

The center and still point will not disappear as a result of intermittent experience of no-mind. It requires deep insight of Anatta to realize the fundamental flaw of wrong view as the cause of the center. The center is the karmic tendency to hold, but in actual experience, it is just the world that is self-luminous. Always and only this vivid obviousness, nothing else.

My experience with this is limited, but it is reminiscent of the Khemaka sutra:
    With regard to these five clinging-aggregates, there is nothing I assume to be self or belonging to self, and yet I am not an arahant. With regard to these five clinging-aggregates, "I am" has not been overcome, although I don't assume that "I am this."'"

<snip>

<snip> "In the same way, friends, even though a noble disciple has abandoned the five lower fetters, he still has with regard to the five clinging-aggregates a lingering residual 'I am' conceit, an 'I am' desire, an 'I am' obsession. But at a later time he keeps focusing on the phenomena of arising & passing away with regard to the five clinging-aggregates: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance. Such is feeling... Such is perception... Such are fabrications... Such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' As he keeps focusing on the arising & passing away of these five clinging-aggregates, the lingering residual 'I am' conceit, 'I am' desire, 'I am' obsession is fully obliterated."
    When this was said, the elder monks said to Ven. Khemaka, "We didn't cross-examine Ven. Khemaka with the purpose of troubling him, just that [we thought] Ven. Khemaka is capable of declaring the Blessed One's message, teaching it, describing it, setting it forth, revealing it, explaining it, making it plain — just as he has in fact declared it, taught it, described it, set it forth, revealed it, explained it, made it plain."
    That is what Ven. Khemaka said. Gratified, the elder monks delighted in his words. And while this explanation was being given, the minds of sixty-some monks, through no clinging, were fully released from fermentations — as was Ven. Khemaka's.
    </snip>
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited July 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    My experience with this is limited, but it is reminiscent of the Khemaka sutra:
    Hi,

Thanks. This is a good sutta. I remember Ajahn Amaro talks about two kinds of 'self' conceit, one is called Sakkaya-dhitti (something to do with personality conceit), the other one is a more subtle sense of self that I cannot remember its name.

According to Ajahn Amaro, Sakkaya Dhitti is removed even at Sotapanna (Stream Entry) level. At this point the stream enterer no longer says 'I am this and that', however, the very core and subtle sense of 'I am', which he described (as I remember it) as a subtle sense of a center, a subtle observer, is only completely and permanently dissolved at the level of Arhant via deep insight.
    edited July 2010
    Hi,

Thanks. This is a good sutta. I remember Ajahn Amaro talks about two kinds of 'self' conceit, one is called Sakkaya-dhitti (something to do with personality conceit), the other one is a more subtle sense of self that I cannot remember its name.

According to Ajahn Amaro, Sakkaya Dhitti is removed even at Sotapanna (Stream Entry) level. At this point the stream enterer no longer says 'I am this and that', however, the very core and subtle sense of 'I am', which he described (as I remember it) as a subtle sense of a center, a subtle observer, is only completely and permanently dissolved at the level of Arhant via deep insight.

This....

"Just like a cloth, dirty & stained: Its owners give it over to a washerman, who scrubs it with salt earth or lye or cow-dung and then rinses it in clear water. Now even though the cloth is clean & spotless, it still has a lingering residual scent of salt earth or lye or cow-dung. The washerman gives it to the owners, the owners put it away in a scent-infused wicker hamper, and its lingering residual scent of salt earth, lye, or cow-dung is fully obliterated".

....seems to refer to the lingering absence of an obsever, rather than the presence of a subtle observer. When there is no subject, no center, there can still be the wiff of it's absence. When it is truly clarified, this absence is forgotten.
  • edited July 2010
    ....seems to refer to the lingering absence of an obsever, rather than the presence of a subtle observer. When there is no subject, no center, there can still be the wiff of it's absence. When it is truly clarified, this absence is forgotten.
    This looks kudos to me as well :D like an emptied liqour bottle still lingering with the sense of liquor smell, its odor will go off when truly clarified :)<!-- / message -->
    edited July 2010
    Maybe like a memory. One hundred years ago there was a farm on this spot where there is now urban housing. The older generations saw this farm and then saw its absence. later generations knew about this farm and saw its absence. Still later generations did not know about this farm and so did not see it's absence. Now both the farm and it's absence are gone. It looks to be the same with the sense of a subject. First the subject is gone but it's absence remains. Then both the subject and it's absence are gone. I think this is "removing the traces" of awakening.
  • edited July 2010
    The body is a wonderful transportation device, but is built upon a mechanistic like foundation , because of its interdependence it is suceptible to aging and illness. It is important to see it this way as to not get too familiar with it. like that of a pet, you love its presence but also are aware that its life is limited.

Yet there is a sadness when the pet gets ill , then it is seemingly lost in the quagmire of thoughts about me. Even when the body is seen as it is, which is form , there is still the question of the other aggregates. so ease up on the body and look at the I , Me, and Mine. This is what is inevitably comes up in my contemplations, that this body is just skin, but there is an emotional center that makes it me. Good Luck..
    edited July 2010
    The body is a wonderful transportation device, but is built upon a mechanistic like foundation , . ..
    That is one perception of "body". Body as machine certainly brings alot of things in tow.
    This is what is inevitably comes up in my contemplations, that this body is just skin, but there is an emotional center that makes it me. ..
    Same