Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

can u be a buddhist and adn pray like another religion (muslim christian ect.)

edited July 2010 in Faith & Religion
i know somone already made a post similar to this but this is a little diffrent my brother is a muslim and i admire the way that he prays it sounds really devout i was thinking i could convert to buddhism and pray like a muslim??:confused: does this go against anything in the buddhist religion???

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Who do you want to pray to and why?
  • edited July 2010
    well having a muslim brother i learned alot about what he belives with god and i seem to belive alot of it provided with some evidence of course nothing will change my mind about one god i belive in his grace and always will for the reason i would like to thank him for everything he has done for me like lving in a good place like this because its the least i could do............
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I don't know much about Islam, but I know a fair bit about Christianity. In Christianity, one prays to a higher power who has the ability to save you. Sometimes prayer is reverence, sometimes it is asking for a favor of some sort.

In Buddhism, WE are the only ones who can save ourself. Because no higher power can save us, it is irrelevant whether or not there God exists.

Still, the wish for someone else to do our work, the hope that an all-powerful being not only likes us but will help us ... these are very appealing ideas. Yes, there are some Buddhists who worship Buddha as if he were a God.

But Buddhism teaches that Buddha was a man who discovered a way to awaken, and who found freedom from suffering. He did this while he was a man walking the earth just as you and I walk the earth. And he left teachings, showing us how we too can awaken, how we too can become Buddhas.

So we do show reverence to Buddha, and if that is what you mean by prayer, then I guess Buddhists pray. But we are not showing reverence for a God ... we are showing reverence for the state of enlightenment that all can attain, for our potential, for the Buddha-nature that resides inside ourselves and all fellow beings.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Pure Land Buddhism might be close to what you are seeking, however at least in Jodo Shinshu (there are other schools of Pure land as well) we do not prey. We do recite Amida Buddha's purely as an expression of gratitude, and like most or all other traditions, we chant Sutras, which can have a bit of a devotional feel to it.

google Pure Land and Amida Buddha and you will find a fair amount of information.
  • edited July 2010
    thank you very much shutoku ill look into it :)
  • edited July 2010
    well my borther is a sufi and he always says that you can be a christian sufi a jewish sufi ect ect ect and i always wonderd can u be a bhuddist sufi even though the practices are based on islam??:confused:
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    You can take whatever part of Buddhism makes sense to you and use it and still be a Muslim. As far as "converting" goes, I think that would be more a problem from the Muslim side than the Buddhist side. In any case, converting isn't the most important thing. Appreciating what Buddhism has to say, leading an upright life, and practicing meditation are the most important.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Does not the Muslims think that Buddha was a profet? I have heard some do.

But I do not support this. Buddhism is more of a lone cowboy religion. Manage on your own kind of thing.

IMO
    Victor
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited July 2010
    well my borther is a sufi and he always says that you can be a christian sufi a jewish sufi ect ect ect and i always wonderd can u be a bhuddist sufi even though the practices are based on islam??:confused:

To what avail?

What in Buddhism appeals to you?

/Victor
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    In my view dude... my answer is yes. Pray.. why not?

A cool fact is that Muhammed was a serious meditation practictioner.
  • edited July 2010
    i know somone already made a post similar to this but this is a little diffrent my brother is a muslim and i admire the way that he prays it sounds really devout i was thinking i could convert to buddhism and pray like a muslim??:confused: does this go against anything in the buddhist religion???
    Buddhism is a teachings and returning back home of Nature Bliss or Absolute one or Buddhahood or the sacreness of Allah. In fact, it is not a religion as commonly claimed, and even Islam is not a relgion. Islam has wealth of good wisdom in there and a very good teaching to learning from but one of the most detrimental problem is that they misunderstood the meaning of sacrifying the living beings for God, especially towards those very kind and harmless animals. Learning Buddhism while embracing Islam is not converting, and it would be helpful to better understand Islam. So do pray like a muslim and be the best muslim in the world. Is a cartoons world, let enjoy it and be givings, love, peace and harmony :lol:
  • edited July 2010
    well alot of things appeal to mme in buddhism :D