Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attachment to a cause

JetsFan366JetsFan366 Explorer
edited July 2010 in Faith & Religion
I was just reading 'The God Delusion' thread and it reminded me of some thoughts I've had on 'causes'. In this context, I would say a 'cause' is an agenda that several people share. It seems to me that often times people become more attached to the cause than what the cause is actually trying to accomplish - partisan politics are a good example of this. In many of the issues people want the same thing at the base of things, they just disagree how to affect the change.

That being said, you can always think of examples where strong attachment even with strong emotion are good things - stopping hitler, for example.

I guess it's difficult for me to draw lines between working for change and getting attached to dukkha. I find it safer for me, as I am someone who used to be very opinionated and political,l to just try to be good to those around me and be charitable.