Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Back to the tattoo question

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited July 2010 in General Banter
Okay gang, I think I've screwed up my courage, and am going to be getting my dharma wheel tattoo tomorrow. Most of the images I've found seem to show yellow dharma wheels. Is there any reason I can't make mine another color? I rather fancy a bright royal blue color with different colored jewels in it. Would that be out of place??

Mtns

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I think Royal blue would be a great color for that Tattoo.

I really dont know much about the dharma wheels, but when i see it, i often do see it in yellow. So, im not sure if the color matters.

But even if it does, make it a tattoo thats unique and personal too you.

If the yellow meant something in Buddhism, but you go around wishing you got a blue tattoo because its your favorite color or something. that could be quite unfortunate.

I say go blue.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Yeah don't worry about it! It's YOUR tattoo. If you ever ran into a snobby know-it-all buddhist who said something like "well it's not a real dharma wheel because it's not yellow so you aren't a TRUE buddhist" then they're just being stuck up and snobby. most of the buddhists i've met constantly tell me that buddhism is what you make it and that we're expected to make it our own.

I dunno about the relevance of yellow though.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Thanks y'all. Appointment is Monday afternoon. Several folks at the tattoo establishment were intrigued by my wanting a dharma wheel...

Mtns
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Be sure to post pictures afterwards...
  • edited July 2010
    I have a dharma wheel on my right arm.

Be prepared for the following:

Them: Oh! You must be in the Navy or like sailing!
    Me: No.
    Them: But you have a pirate ship wheel on your arm.
    Me: No, its actually a dharma wheel.
    Them: OH! I love Lost too!
    Me: No. Its a Buddhist thing.
    Them: Oh...well what is it?
    Me: (Explaining the meaning)
    Them: (Thousand yard stare)

Have Fun!
    edited July 2010
    Actually, the guy who did it and the guy at the till both thought it was pretty cool. Neither of them (whose combined ages probably don't equal mine) had ever met a Buddhist before, so we talked about that while he was inking. I'm *extremely* pleased with the way it came out. Note that this is only 3 hours after it was done, and it's still a little red and puffy underneath it (and btw, don't ever let anybody tell you tattoos don't hurt - they do!). I'm really tickled though.

Mtns

IMG_8934.JPG
  • edited July 2010
    That is good work. It looks great!
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Mountains that looks great! I'm still nervous for my first one. Maybe I should take a drive out to Roanoke; looks like the artists out there are a little better than the ones out here in Hampton Roads haha!
    edited July 2010
    Tree - thanks :) The young man who did it is a really talented artist. There are lots of talented ink artists out there, you just need to ask around and ask to see their portfolios before you decide. This one was done in Blacksburg...

Mtns
  • edited July 2010
    Awesome! :)
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Very, very nice!!!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Very nice! I'm glad you're happy with your new tattoo, be sure to moisturize it! I highly recommend A+D Lotion (usually with baby products), the kind without fish oil. I can't remember the brand I normally use, but it's some generic (you can usually find the name brand stuff in the supermarket, but it's not vegetarian).

I thought about getting a double dorje tattoo, but I'm not sure where I would put it. I already have a lot of ink, so it would need to be somewhere where it would not twist or stretch during movement, and also not be conflicting with another design. We'll see :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Off topic, but I just gotta give a shout to my shop: blackbirdtattoo.com

Check out the online portfolios!