Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating on Nagarjuna's MMK

edited September 2010 in Philosophy
Does anyone know of a way to meditate upon the MMK? I've heard in several books to meditate on it, but none of them give a method. Maybe someone here can help me.:confused:

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone know of a way to meditate upon the MMK? I've heard in several books to meditate on it, but none of them give a method. Maybe someone here can help me.:confused:

A specific way to meditate upon Madhaymaka ? Madhaymaka is more or less a system of thought in discerning the finer relationship with emptiness, There are many commentarys to it, however it all looks pretty much the same regardless of system of view once you actually meditate upon it.:D
  • edited July 2010
    how do i meditate upon it, i'm reading Tsongkhapa's commentary and its explicit instructions don't include meditation. Would you suggest general shamata or what? and if it is shamata what is the object.
    edited July 2010
    how do i meditate upon it, i'm reading Tsongkhapa's commentary and its explicit instructions don't include meditation. Would you suggest general shamata or what? and if it is shamata what is the object.

There are a few ways to meditate upon emptiness, The emptiness of self, The emptiness of Phenomena, The emptiness of self and phenomena.
    Starting of with we need to find the object of negation is we are meditating upon the emptiness of self, We need to find the perceived object of self and perform an examination upon it to see if we can find a inherantly perceived self, and once the analytical side of this is done we perform a placement meditation upon our outcome of the analytical meditation according the commentarys and concentrate upon the absence of a perceived self.

For the emptiness of phenomena i find the best method is to do a similar analytical approach to finding the self, in a similar fashion once the object of phenomena we are looking for cannot be found we do a placement meditation upon the outcome, The best way to do this is to imagine phenomena dissolving into spacelike emptiness and dwell in that concentration. For meditating upon both subjects we perform such analytical meditations and we dissolve the perceived Self and all other phenomena into space like emptiness and dwell in such.

Commentarys i find most helpful are From books such as Joyfull path of good fortune, and the Heart sutra. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Wow! two questions I don't know if my idea of "Space like emptiness" will reify existence as inherent, so please describe this process .The other is "placement meditation" this term i don't recognize.Do you mean Calm abiding? Or like Tsongkhapa says "special integration of calm abiding and analytical meditation".
    edited July 2010
    Wow! two questions I don't know if my idea of "Space like emptiness" will reify existence as inherent, so please describe this process .The other is "placement meditation" this term i don't recognize.Do you mean Calm abiding? Or like Tsongkhapa says "special integration of calm abiding and analytical meditation".

A simple counter to this is when abiding and dissolving into space like emptiness we must remember as well that this emptiness is also empty ! :)
    Therefore if you do this you will be engaging correctly.
    According to tantras an intergral part of attaining enlightenment is attaining the union of Bliss and emptiness, When meditating upon emptiness and dissolving my self and phenomena into it i visualise My self and other phenomena gradually dissapearing into a bright white light untill finally all that is left is emptiness its self.

And for the second yes, Placement meditation is in referance to " Calmly abiding upon this concentration without mental sinking or mental excitement "
  • edited July 2010
    Thank you. I do understand the main mind is clear and knowing, but am i supposed to see light or imagine it. Also i don't know much about tantra. I have the commentary by mipham on longchenpa's dispelling the darkness, which as you know is a commentary to guysajamaja tantra. But i don't know how to read it. Its very advanced. So i am focused upon the second turning and nagarjuna. Thats why im posting about MMK so much. Do you have any helpful ways that i can have a deep experience of the text. Like patrul rinpoche's guide to bodhicharyavatara?

or do you know how to read mimpham's commentary? I know this is meant for a tantric teacher and student ,but i can't find one.

Thank you again for the meditation it helps more than you can imagine, I will use it ..
    edited July 2010
    Thank you. I do understand the main mind is clear and knowing, but am i supposed to see light or imagine it. Also i don't know much about tantra. I have the commentary by mipham on longchenpa's dispelling the darkness, which as you know is a commentary to guysajamaja tantra. But i don't know how to read it. Its very advanced. So i am focused upon the second turning and nagarjuna. Thats why im posting about MMK so much. Do you have any helpful ways that i can have a deep experience of the text. Like patrul rinpoche's guide to bodhicharyavatara?

or do you know how to read mimpham's commentary? I know this is meant for a tantric teacher and student ,but i can't find one.

Thank you again for the meditation it helps more than you can imagine, I will use it ..

Well its helpful to imagine it ( Clear white light) Once everything has dissolved into it just perceive this, Realizing all phenomena are the same way Non other then appearance.
    There not alot of help i could offer if you dont have a tantric teacher only a qualified master could really explain such profound tantra to a ready student.
    Reciting the Essence of wisdom sutra regularly before meditation sessions is always a great help for accumulating the positive potential to eventually realize such ! :lol:

As for the Bodhisattvacharyavatara it is a very good read and an essential guide to practising the Bodhisattvas way of life, Of course in order to deepens ones understanding of this text it requires careful reading of the commentarys and it is extremly useful to begin daily meditation upon Lamrim subjects as this is Buddhas essential meanings of al his sutra teachings. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Which translation of the MMK are you reading, tweederwright?
  • edited July 2010
    Jay Garfield's and the commentary by Tsongkhapa
  • edited July 2010
    in reading luminious essence ( this may be off topic ) i seen an important reason why caz is smiling after saying to read the heart sutra. If im right he will tell me something more if i've understood it properly. Such as its significance to words, syllables etc..
    edited July 2010
    in reading luminious essence ( this may be off topic ) i seen an important reason why caz is smiling after saying to read the heart sutra. If im right he will tell me something more if i've understood it properly. Such as its significance to words, syllables etc..

Yes there is a hell of a lot of underlying significance to the Heart sutra my own kind teacher wrote a book on the subject and i was blown away with the level of profoundity that can be found from so few words on the commentary he did to the Essence of wisdom sutra. :)
  • edited July 2010

You probably shouldnt be reading either of these books without the guidance of an authentic teacher.
    Try Essence of the Heart Sutra by HHDL
  • edited July 2010

I'm not an expert, but my guess would be to read a small section of the MMK slowly. Nagarjuna will discuss a topic and give objections to various ideas about it. Where we had a view, we will arrive at a meaningful lacking of that view. Nagarjuna is leading us to the middle way by helping us to arrive at this experience of a meaningful lacking. I would meditate on that experience.

It is like staring at the empty space of where an old, familiar building stood for a very long time. The empty space is meaningful for us because it represents the absence of the building that we once knew. We are reflecting or "meditating" on the absence of something.
  • edited July 2010
    absence is an opposite of existence which would say that existence comes from other , which is space. That would posit two extremes called absence and the other existence. Abiding and destruction. Nagarjuna does address this in the MMK. But i need to read it again to get it down.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    As far as I know, Nagarjuna's goal is to explain emptiness through logic. If you can understand what he says you are already doing what you are supposed to do with his ideas.

As far as 'meditation' on emptiness goes, the most common approach is the four point analysis. It is an analysis, however. You won't find mind emptying techniques related to the books you are reading, simply because direct realization in a Zen-like fashion is actually subject of mockery by Tsongkhapa and company.
  • edited July 2010
    simply because direct realization in a Zen-like fashion is actually subject of mockery by Tsogkhapa and company

i realized this when i read Dogen's Extensive Record. I feel that it was inadaquate to help me. Nagarjuna fired my imagination like no other. It feels truer for my disposition.
  • edited July 2010
    absence is an opposite of existence which would say that existence comes from other , which is space. That would posit two extremes called absence and the other existence. Abiding and destruction. Nagarjuna does address this in the MMK. But i need to read it again to get it down.

No, the absence of views is a simple absence which does not posit a view. The positing of views, like existence or nonexistence falls into extremes.
  • edited July 2010
    there has to be a view to be absent from view. absence is in dependence upon something not absent, else what is the reason to say absence, its like talking about a rabbit without horns or a barren womans son.
  • edited July 2010
    there has to be a view to be absent from view.

Views can be used to achieve a release of views (which is Nagarjuna's purpose). However, that release is not itself a view.
  • edited July 2010
    Views can be used to achieve a release of views (which is Nagarjuna's purpose). However, that release is not itself a view.

this is examined in cessation so i will study and get back to you
  • edited July 2010
    didn't read that part of the MMK yet, but i found a great book to meditate on middle way. Its called "Meditatons on Emptiness" Jeffery Hopkins. This is a great book. He spent a long time with tibetans and scholastics. Way different than the other book i bought called Svantantrika-Prasangika Distinction. This is a good book but its very western and kinda boring.

Still reading MMK by Jay Garfield. will get back on cessation
  • edited August 2010
    pearl wrote: »

It is not Nagarjuna's purpose to release from views, only from wrong views. The view of emptiness is itself a view, a correct view, but not one we should cling to. It's only clinging to views that causes suffering, not views themselves.

Buddha never said we need to abandon all views.
  • edited August 2010

Its worth remembering that Nagarjuna based his lengthy ramblings about emptiness and Dependent Origination on the suttas.

v 7 Ch15 of the Mulamadhyamakakarika :

"The Victorious one, through knowledge of reality and unreality, in the discourse to Katyayana, refuted both "it is" and "it is not" .......is referring to SN 12.15 in the Pali Canon. "Katyayana" is 'Kaccayana Gotta' :

"'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle" (SN 12.15)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.than.html#kaccayana

When meditating, just relax and let go...no need to 'do' anything or meditate 'on' anything.

• edited August 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »

When meditating, just relax and let go...no need to 'do' anything or meditate 'on' anything.

In other words, just blank your mind? I don't think this is the correct view of emptiness as expounded by Buddha Shakyamuni and Nagarjuna. "it is" or "everything exists" has a specific meaning, namely to 'exist inherently', meaning existing independently or without depending upon the mind.

The correct view that leads to liberation is the mere absence of such existence, but this absence is not nothingness. This is the correct view that avoids the two extremes of "it is" and "it is not".
    edited August 2010
    In other words, just blank your mind? I don't think this is the correct view of emptiness as expounded by Buddha Shakyamuni and Nagarjuna. "it is" or "everything exists" has a specific meaning, namely to 'exist inherently', meaning existing independently or without depending upon the mind.

The correct view that leads to liberation is the mere absence of such existence, but this absence is not nothingness. This is the correct view that avoids the two extremes of "it is" and "it is not".

Very good point Tsongkhapafan. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Its very much more complex than this, try Tsonkhapa's commentary Ocean of Reasoning on the MMK
  • edited August 2010
    The view of emptiness is itself a view, a correct view, but not one we should cling to. It's only clinging to views that causes suffering, not views themselves.

Agreed! :)

I should have said release from clinging to views. My bad. Thanks.
  • edited August 2010
    grab it and put it under your rump HAHA HOW ELSE WOULD YOU DO it?
  • edited August 2010
    grab it and put it under your rump HAHA HOW ELSE WOULD YOU DO it

this makes no sense.
  • edited August 2010
    shutiup you scoundrel i'll have you know i have my doctorate in finance
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    this makes no sense.

I think because you asked how to meditate upon it :p
  • edited August 2010
    i already got a good answer not a sarcastic clown answer!
  • edited August 2010
    hah
    i once read a quote suppozed of nagarjuna's about how to meditate on a mosquito bite, but its impact failed to leave an impression because he was an ascetic, so maybe sitting on it woULD HELP, unless it's ""paperback"", because of course nagarjuna was known to be an pathetic ascetic but maybe it's good luck and its got his magic bones LOL HAHAHAHA
  • edited August 2010
    i hope that what some of the dharma says about insults to arya beings isn't true in your case friend.
  • edited August 2010
    what do you mean? is there a curse or something?
    edited August 2010
    i hope that what some of the dharma says about insults to arya beings isn't true in your case friend.

Yup creates the causes to futher ones own Ignorance plus its not right speech either. :hrm:
  • edited August 2010
    In other words, just blank your mind?

Uhh ? Who said anything about 'blank your mind'......... not I, Tsongkhapafan!

Perhaps you've been focussing on prayers and deity practices rather than basic tranquility and insight meditation. If our minds are filled with concepts of 'this' and 'that' as well as having feelings of superiority to others in discussions, we will never fully understand emptiness.

Be at ease, be well and happy.

:)
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Dazzle, you're making lots of projections. I was simply asking you to clarify the meaning of 'letting go, no need to do anything or meditate on anything'. If you don't need to meditate on anything, the mind has no object and therefore you are meditating on nothing. I don't believe Nagarjuna instructed people to meditate on emptiness like this in his 'lengthy ramblings' as you put it.

Perhaps you'd like to give a specific meditation instruction?
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Dazzle, you're making lots of projections. I was simply asking you to clarify the meaning of 'letting go, no need to do anything or meditate on anything'. If you don't need to meditate on anything, the mind has no object and therefore you are meditating on nothing. I don't believe Nagarjuna instructed people to meditate on emptiness like this in his 'lengthy ramblings' as you put it.

Meditation without an object is not the same as blanking the mind.
    Mahamudra, Dzogchen, and other practices rest the mind in its natural, empty, and luminous state.
    These meditation traditions certainly dont contradict Nagarjuna in any way.
  • edited August 2010
    Dear Shenpen nangwa,

There is no such thing as a mind without an object because they are mutually dependent upon each other. The mind, to exist, has to know and it cannot know itself as it says in the scriptures. As Shantideva says "just as the blade of a sword cannot cut itself, the mind cannot know itself". There is a good reason for this - if a mind can exist without an object, then the mind would exist inherently. This is definitely not Nagarjuna's meaning!
  • edited August 2010
    Dear Shenpen nangwa,

There is no such thing as a mind without an object because they are mutually dependent upon each other. The mind, to exist, has to know and it cannot know itself as it says in the scriptures. As Shantideva says "just as the blade of a sword cannot cut itself, the mind cannot know itself". There is a good reason for this - if a mind can exist without an object, then the mind would exist inherently. This is definitely not Nagarjuna's meaning!

That depends on what you mean by mind.
    There are different levels of mind and awareness.
    The "mind" is a conventional phenomena.
    Conventional phenomena is not the point of the subject/object less methods of Dzogchen and Mahamudra.
  • edited August 2010

Sure. My instruction is "Relax".

:)
  • edited August 2010
    Conventional phenomena is not the point of the subject/object less methods of Dzogchen and Mahamudra.

Bliss is a conventional phenomenon and is very much the point (along with emptiness) of Mahamudra meditation (it's the 'Maha' bit). It's important to realize the union of conventional and ultimate truth if you want to get enlightened.
  • edited August 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Sure. My instruction is "Relax".:)

I've got my feet up, drinking a nice cup of coffee and reading the daily paper,but I don't feel any closer to enlightenment. :coffee:

Any other suggestions?
  • edited August 2010
    Bliss is a conventional phenomenon and is very much the point (along with emptiness) of Mahamudra meditation (it's the 'Maha' bit). It's important to realize the union of conventional and ultimate truth if you want to get enlightened.
    Of course you cant disregard or disparage the conventional.
    Nobody is saying that. The bliss/conventional concept as it applies to Mahamudra is not universally accepted. Its a Gelug interpretation, bliss or clarity along with emptiness are associated with the ultimate truth for just about everybody else.
    This is one of the points that a lot of other Tibetan scholars have taken issue with in regards to Tsongkhapa's views on emptiness and the two truths etc.
    Personally, I think Tsongkhapa was right on about a lot of these things, particularly his discussions of the conventional truth and valid/invalid cognitions.
  • edited August 2010
    Of course you cant disregard or disparage the conventional.
    Its a Gelug interpretation, bliss or clarity along with emptiness are associated with the ultimate truth for just about everybody else

Not according to Buddha, who says in the Heart Sutra through Avalokiteshvara, "There is no form, no feeling, no discrimination, no compositional factors..." The sutra view is clear: in emptiness, there is no feeling. Why? Because it's a conventional truth that doesn't appear to a mind single pointedly absorbed in emptiness. That's the case unless you're practising from a Vajrayana Mahamudra point of view where you're learning to see things from the point of view of a Buddha: the union of conventional (bliss) and ultimate (emptiness) truths. Bliss, as feeling, is not an ultimate truth - how could it be?
    Personally, I think Tsongkhapa was right on about a lot of these things, particularly his discussions of the conventional truth and valid/invalid cognitions.

I totally agree.
  • edited August 2010
    Not according to Buddha, who says in the Heart Sutra through Avalokiteshvara, "There is no form, no feeling, no discrimination, no compositional factors..." The sutra view is clear: in emptiness, there is no feeling. Why? Because it's a conventional truth that doesn't appear to a mind single pointedly absorbed in emptiness. That's the case unless you're practising from a Vajrayana Mahamudra point of view where you're learning to see things from the point of view of a Buddha: the union of conventional (bliss) and ultimate (emptiness) truths. Bliss, as feeling, is not an ultimate truth - how could it be?

Thats one of reasons why clarity is used instead of bliss in the other traditions.
    Its a slippery slope and people have been debating it for centuries. Its incredibly difficult to describe the ultimate truth without falling into one of the two major extremes.
    Personally, I find the bliss/void dichotomy to be quite problematic.
  • edited September 2010
    Thats one of reasons why clarity is used instead of bliss in the other traditions.

I have been taught that clarity has a specific meaning - it's the ability of the mind to know, which again is a conventional characteristic of the mind, so that doesn't solve the problem.
    Personally, I find the bliss/void dichotomy to be quite problematic.

I don't think it has to be problematic. The four profundities of the Heart Sutra can explain it with a little re-phrasing:

bliss is empty; emptiness is bliss. Emptiness is not other than bliss; bliss also is not other than emptiness.

From the point of view of experience in meditation, bliss and emptiness are inseparably one, like water being poured into water, but from the point of view of names they are nominally distinct and so they can be distinguished from each other. Bliss and emptiness are not the same, but they are also not different - you can't have one without the other. My Teacher explains it as 'one phenomenon with two names'. This is much more skilful than thinking of it as one phenomenon with two parts, because when you starting thinking in terms of parts, the mind creates a dichotomy and feels that they are inherently separate whereas two names is easier - where does one name end and the other begin? They are not really separate but they are also not the same.