Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How solid was the Buddha?

2»

Comments

• ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Ah ha... That is why I refuse to join any sangha and school... The fullest enlightenment comes alone, just like Gautama Buddha himself, who experienced full enlightenment himself, without having a teacher...
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo,

Ah, but don't think that "enlightenment" is so easy to realize without an experienced teacher, or at least some directions to guide you. That is the whole point of a Buddha arising in this world mind you - to give people that very guidance. If it were really so easy to realize these profound truths and eradicate suffering completely there would be no need of a Buddha would there? Nothing teaches like experience, but even experiences can be misleading. How so? Because the mind that interprets those experiences may doing so with the help of greed, hatred, and delusion. ;)

Jason
    edited October 2005
    Yes I agree, without a teacher it's almost impossible, and the Buddha's job was to spread the dhamma.

True... But heck! He did spread it, his teachings are my teacher. He once said, "When you see the Dhamma, you see me." or something similar. Man I suck at memorizing Buddhist stuff but somehow can memorize one whole chapter of history notes. I am such a bore!

Anyway, his teachings being my teacher, I shall... Let's just say try. To get enlightened, fully. But currently I'm not seeking nirvana till Matreiya's coming. I'm just here to let's say earn karma for conditions to ripen upon the Fifth Buddha's time. :P
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Very good ajani_mgo,

You are correct:

"...'For a long time, lord, I have been longing to set eyes on the Exalted One, but I had not strength enough in this body to come to see the Exalted One.'
    'Hush, Vakkali! What is there in seeing this vile body of mine? He who see Dhamma, Vakkali, he sees me: he who sees me, Vakkali, he sees Dhamma. Verily, seeing Dhamma, Vakkali, one sees me: seeing me, one sees Dhamma. As to this what do you think, Vakkali? Is body permanent or impermanent?'
    'Impermanent, lord.'
    'Wherefore, Vakkali, he who thus sees... he knows "...for life in these conditions there is no hereafter".'..."

~ From the Samyutta Nikaya Ch. IV, p.87, Vakkali

Jason
    edited October 2005
    Man what karma (not luck mind you) I have! I came across it in some story about the Buddha...