Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

lost the way some what ..

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
hello to everyone who has taken the time to read and or consider my post :) I do not have a specific point to make here, it is more of a general notion that I want to get across.
A brief but f information regarding myself, I am 21 and originally from the UK. I have lived in thailand now for around 5 months give or take a week. I sprouted an interest in buddhism and the teachings of the dharma around 18 months ago, previous to this I was a firm atheist. I have not practiced meditation for a substantial amount of time now, but keep in mind many teachings buddhims suggests. For example I try not to become attached to feelings or material things, I try not to become attached to people and experiences in general. I am mindful of telling lies, mindful of compassion and kindness, but I am sure I could do a lot more than I am.
When I try to meditate, I become easily distracted and cannot maintain a focused mind, in turn giving up after 5 minutes. When I use to practice meditation back in the UK, I started by counting my breaths from 1-5. 1 inhale, 1 exhale, 2 inhale 2 exhale. Then 1-6, 1-7 up until 1-10. I did this twice so that I was calm and my mind was some what focused. Then I would focus on metta and things that would have maybe caused affliction in my day. Can anyone advise me on this routine for meditating at all by any chance?
One thing I would like to make a point of is buddhism as a religion here in thailand. I am aware that the majority of the population here are 'buddhists', but I must admit, they seem very slack about their practices. They all consume meat, they are not as kind of thoughtful as I would have envisioned and they are becoming heavily influenced by the west and technology in general. Of course, this doe snot apply to every thai, I am merely saying from where I have been this is the image I have gotten. I was at a beach which has a temple adjacent not long ago, koh takiap. I saw a monk come out and realise there were some monkeys climbing on the flagpole. He proceeded to throw rocks at them to make them leave the flagpole and the surrounding area. To me, this does not seem very buddhist lol.. I just get the feeling that I had back in the UK. Many people call themselves christians, but a slim minority of the people there actually practice or believe in the religion itself.
I have one more question to ask if anyone is up to answering it :p I was discussing buddhism with a friend of mine who is not a follower or a skeptic, he is curious and believes some of the teachings have positive relevance to life. Anyway, he asked me this. ''If you should not trust your 5 senses as they are mere perceptions of reality, how can you believe anything in life, including buddhism?''
Thank you again to have read my post, any feedback will be appreciated greatly :)
tom

Comments

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    ''If you should not trust your 5 senses as they are mere perceptions of reality, how can you believe anything in life, including buddhism?''

Seek for yourself. Do not believe something simply because someone tells you it is so, or because you read it somewhere, or whatever. Do it because you have examined it for yourself and feel it is right.

Everything is an illusion :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Everything is an illusion
    Tell a mother who just lost a child her suffering is not real.

....Bet your paycheck is real.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »

That sounds like horrible advice! I'm guessing you're struggling with subjective receptivity, and what is skillful to say to whom and when. Sheesh, Richard!

With warmth,

Matt
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Tom,

Buddhists are not unique, being human they are bound to be full of anger and unskillful action. Don't look to the people of "Buddhist countries" for examples of the transformation that occurs from dharma studies and meditation practice. Look at your own mind, because that's where all the magic happens. Its a get what you put in kind of system, surprisingly enough.

In your case, you might want to examine why you put those people on a pedestal, and how your disappointment is of your own doing. Unraveling that, you might be able to more directly see the beauty that is around you, right now. In cultivating metta, you might notice less and less of this happening, don't be afraid to sit with your own discontent with others, but also make sure you take responsibility for it. Others are who they are, and very few, if any, are perfect. Wishing that others were nicer or better people is a weight that keeps us unahappy, because it is just a twisted form of judging. Does that make sense?

With warmth,

Matt
    edited July 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    That sounds like horrible advice! I'm guessing you're struggling with subjective receptivity, and what is skillful to say to whom and when. Sheesh, Richard!

With warmth,

Matt
    um. ah. um. I guess I was being kinda ...um sarcastic eh.

See, it's just that this everything-is-an-illusion business is problematic, but hey that's a whole other thread.:)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    um. ah. um. I guess I was being kinda ...um sarcastic eh.

Oh... I know what you were saying; you were slapping the red floor. My words were hopefully focused by your wisdom, not pointed directly at it. :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010

This is a very sad response to me :( I never said suffering was not "real." I understand suffering and lost the closest person in my life, a family member. The depths of suffering are indescribable.
    edited July 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Oh... I know what you were saying; you were slapping the red floor. My words were hopefully focused by your wisdom, not pointed directly at it. :)

oh yeah. my .....wisdom. Shiny aint it. :lol:
    edited July 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    I understand suffering and lost the closest person in my life, a family member. The depths of suffering are indescribable.
    Same here. Forgive me for upsetting you. We all suffer, and to say "everything is an illusion" has certain implications that would be interesting to discuss at some point.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Same here. Forgive me for upsetting you. We all suffer, and to say "everything is an illusion" has certain implications that would be interesting to discuss at some point.

I understand, and I see how my statement was unclear.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    When I try to meditate, I become easily distracted and cannot maintain a focused mind, in turn giving up after 5 minutes. Can anyone advise me on this routine for meditating at all by any chance?

Stop giving up after 5 minutes. :) Nearly everyone becomes easily distracted when they first start. Focusing the mind is a skill and requires practice. If you give up every time you try it, you're never going to be able to develop the skill. A focused mind is not the practice, just trying to focus the mind is the practice and that is all that is necessary. Whether or not the mind becomes focused is irrelevant, because the practice is to just try.
    ''If you should not trust your 5 senses as they are mere perceptions of reality, how can you believe anything in life, including buddhism?''
    Because, if you don't stop after 5 minutes ;), you will see for yourself the real truth that the Buddha taught, that it is possible to see reality directly, without perceptions.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    thank you people for your responses, even the sarcastic and entirely blunt ones ;P It has given me some things to think about and consider in a new light and I appreciate that :)

The question relating to how can we trust anything we perceive is mainly coming from my friend. He asked me how can you believe or trust anything in life if it is mere perception. I could not answer this fully so asked it here...

I have many grey areas in my understanding of buddhism that I am not entirely sure of, but I guess the journey is the goal and will reveal things to me. Some things you cannot grasp froma book or from asking somebody.

Thanks again, tom :)
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010

the suffering and paycheck are real....they are also not :)
    edited July 2010
    Today I made myself meditate for a while after doing some stretching. I found some solitude in my room and made my surroundings as quiet as possible. I was surprised actually at how well I managed to focus my mind and control my thoughts. I was able to prevent my mind from leaping from one point to another frantically and for some of the time was able to remain without any real thought at all, or so it seemed.

I would like to ask to the people on here who regularly practice buddhism something relating to routine. What time do you tend to wake up and go to sleep on average, and also how often do you eat and what does your diet consist of? Do you exercise or anything of this nature also.

Tom :)
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I get up around 7 or 8, I go to bed around 10 or 11. I eat 3 times per day a meal, and some snacks in between.
    I eat meat, but lately some remorse over this has been building up. I think i'm gonna start doing 1 or 2 veggie nights per week.
    I excersise between 2 to 5 times per week about 90 minutes.
    I meditatie daily if possible, once or twice, max. 20 minutes per go.

but hey, my life balance aint yours!
    edited July 2010
    I was just curious, I read about a woman who lived past 110 who practiced buddhism and ate one meal a day. This seems quite insane on the amount of food she eats, but I guess she lived that long.. Also, monks tend to sleep very little and do not eat past midday a lot of the time, so I was just trying to gauge what other people do.
    I myself go to the gym every other day for an hour, eat 3-4 meals a day maybe and yes I eat met :( I have done my whole life and it is really hard to give up. I cannot imagine a meal without it. Lately though my sleep patterns have been way out of sync, getting to sleep around 4am and waking at 10-11. I have not meditated for many months apart from today obviously. I feel the need to get back on the dharma path for every aspect :)