Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Claiming "I have attained Enlightment" is incorrect?

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
edited August 2010 in Philosophy
I happened across this elsewhere (SN 56.11) and someone posed an interesting question:

If it is not correct to claim "I have attained enlightenment", then how do you reconcile the fact that it appears that the Buddha himself DID claim that he attained enlightenment?

SN 56.11 Piyadassi Thera translation
"As long as my knowledge of seeing things as they really are, was not quite clear in these three aspects, in these twelve ways, concerning the Four Noble Truths,[3] I did not claim to have realized the matchless, supreme Enlightenment, in this world with its gods, with its Maras and Brahmas, in this generation with its recluses and brahmanas, with its Devas and humans. But when my knowledge of seeing things as they really are was quite clear in these three aspects, in these twelve ways, concerning the Four Noble Truths, then I claimed to have realized the matchless, supreme Enlightenment in this world with its gods, with its Maras and Brahmas, in this generation with its recluses and brahmanas, with its Devas and humans. And a vision of insight arose in me thus: 'Unshakable is the deliverance of my heart. This is the last birth. Now there is no more re-becoming (rebirth).'"

Is the Buddha himself not claiming he has attained enlightenment here?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    yes.
    The difference is that he then put his money where his mouth was, and managed to prove it through his teachings, example and demonstration of how clearly he had realised Things As They Really Are.

I think he also had to 'prove himself' on more than one occasion. This he simply did by basically demonstrating flaws, errors, misconceptions and arrogance in the observations of others.

So much as he might have claimed it - he also lived it, and judging by the followers he accrued, he was living testimony many times over.

Those who proclaim themselves enlightened, had better be prepared, willing and completely able to do the same.
    So far...as far as I have seen in this forum, anyway - there have been no takers.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    If it is not correct to claim "I have attained enlightenment"

According to?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    According to?

Diamond Sutra
    Chapter 9.
    "No, Buddha", Subhuti replied. "A true disciple entering the stream would not think of themselves as a separate person that could be entering anything. Only that disciple who does not differentiate themselves from others, who has no regard for name, shape, sound, odor, taste, touch or for any quality can truly be called a disciple who has entered the stream."

Buddha continued, "Does a disciple who is subject to only one more rebirth say to himself, 'I am entitled to the honors and rewards of a Once-to-be-reborn.'?"

"No, Lord. 'Once-to-be-reborn' is only a name. There is no passing away, or coming into, existence. Only one who realizes this can really be called a disciple."

"Subhuti, does a venerable One who will never more be reborn as a mortal say to himself, 'I am entitled to the honor and rewards of a Non-returner.'?"

"No, Perfectly Enlightened One. A 'Non-returner' is merely a name. There is actually no one returning and no one not-returning."

"Tell me, Subhuti. Does a Buddha say to himself, 'I have obtained Perfect Enlightenment.'?"

"No, lord. There is no such thing as Perfect Enlightenment to obtain. If a Perfectly Enlightened Buddha were to say to himself, 'I am enlightened' he would be admitting there is an individual person, a separate self and personality, and would therefore not be a Perfectly Enlightened Buddha."

Subhuti then said, "Most Honored One! You have said that I, Subhuti, excel amongst thy disciples in knowing the bliss of Enlightenment, in being perfectly content in seclusion, and in being free from all passions. Yet I do not say to myself that I am so, for if I ever thought of myself as such then it would not be true that I escaped ego delusion. I know that in truth there is no Subhuti and therefore Subhuti abides nowhere, that he neither knows nor does he not know bliss, and that he is neither free from nor enslaved by his passions."
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    If it is not correct to claim "I have attained enlightenment", then how do you reconcile the fact that it appears that the Buddha himself DID claim that he attained enlightenment?
    The diamond sutra is talking about ultimate reality. The pali canon is talking in conventional terms. The focus of the Diamond Sutra is not humility or something along those lines. It is concerned in explaining that Buddhahood as a title is also empty. At least that is what I understand from it.

I don't think it is possible to limit what a Buddha can or not do as if we were making a list.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »

Its not a matter of what can or cannot be done, or what is correct. Its about saying things when it is skillful to do so. Depicting attainments is unskillful, as it draws attention to the person, rather than the dharma. In the context of the Buddha, he was describing the nature of the path he was teaching and establishing credibility with his audience. Now, with a well described dharma there is no need to establish credence, as the dharma is self-luminous with rich tradition.

So, its not a matter of "we cannot describe our attainments, because it is wrong" but "we do not describe our attainments because it is unneeded and therefore unskillful."

In my opinion of course.

With warmth,

Matt
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, unskillful. If I was enlightened It'd be my little happy secret.

Thought I'd add. See the guy in my avatar? Ajahn Chah, decided to tell people he was an Arhat... (Arahat? how's that spelled? Thnx.) close to his death.

It didn't do much good. There's a video about that story on Youtube.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010

I think it is not correct because most people who make the claim have not and are deluding themselves. The Buddha was just stating the fact. It was not an ego delusion and he had no need to deny it either. He had a job to do.
  • edited July 2010
    lol, i like that everyone is worried about enlightenment. Its kinda like the fish in an ocean of water saying to each other " am in in water" . :lol:
    edited July 2010
    lol, i like that everyone is worried about enlightenment. Its kinda like the fish in an ocean of water saying to each other " am in in water" . :lol:

Or it's like:

Fish # 1: "I just got a hook in my mouth and it REALLY hurts!"
    Fish # 2: "No it doesn't, you're just imagining things, hooks really don't exist."
    Fish # 1: "Ok, that is nice... But that doesn't help because my mouth still hurts..." :confused:
    Fish # 2: LOL.
    Fish # 1: :confused:
    edited July 2010
    Or it's like:

Fish # 1: "I just got a hook in my mouth and it REALLY hurts!"
    Fish # 2: "No it doesn't, you're just imagining things, hooks really don't exist."
    Fish # 1: "Ok, that is nice... But that doesn't help because my mouth still hurts..." :confused:
    Fish # 2: LOL.
    Fish # 1: :confused: why are you laughing at an experience of suffering.
    Fish # 2 Because I'm "Enlightened" and you are not.
    Fish # 1 but....
    Fish # 2 silly dumb unenlightened fish!!
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    :lol: Oh no, I am laughing, I guess that means I think I'm "enlightened".
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Are enlightened and awakened synonomous terms (forgive me spelling), to Buddhists?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    There is no hard and fast rule as such. There is such a vinaya (discipline) among the sangha. It is widely accepted that one should not speak about his attainments because someone can go around telling that he is enlightened while he is not, thereby misleading people and turning them away from Dhamma.

The Buddha certainly had the requirement to tell people that he attained Nibbana but he did not do it out of personal interests, to be respected, to be thought highly of or for material benefits. He had to tell as the teacher of the Dhamma. I don't think we have such a requirement nowadays, generally speaking.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Are enlightened and awakened synonomous terms (forgive me spelling), to Buddhists?

Yes, as far as I know.
    At least, they are to me....
  • edited July 2010
    If I remember the suttas correctly, the Buddha did not begin with proclaiming enlightenment. In the fist discourse (Dhammacakka Sutta) he begins with: "There are these two extremes that are not to be indulged in by one who has gone forth," and then proceeds introduce the four noble truths. The discourse is addressed to his former ascetic friends who had abandoned him after they saw him accepting food. Whether this is historically accurate, we cannot say, but the important point is that it serves no purpose to claim enlightenment, unless it answers a direct question.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited July 2010
    The Buddha also said :

AN 4.77

Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."

source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html

_/\_
  • edited July 2010
    Also :

....Again, it is not proper to ask about the attainments which he (a bhikkhu) has won through his Dhamma-practice.

It is an offense of expiation for a bhikkhu to tell a layman even the truth regarding his own attainments, and an offense of Defeat should he be tempted to lie, saying that he has won what has not been won by him.

Also among requests which are improper, as they could embroil a bhikkhu in what is not-Dhamma, are questions upon luck, signs, stars, and palms. All this is called animal-knowledge by Lord Buddha and he has made it an offense of wrong-doing for a bhikkhu to learn or to teach it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/khantipalo/wheel130.html

_/\_
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I happened across this elsewhere (SN 56.11) and someone posed an interesting question:

SN 56.11 Piyadassi Thera translation

Is the Buddha himself not claiming he has attained enlightenment here?

Its not skillfull in itself, Unless it is done to help others into correct paths. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Enlightenment is a tricky subject, everyone wants to claim it without even knowing it. its kinda like some ultimate attachment that beings , especially buddhists, are seeking. The end of all need to be human , etc. its grandiose in my oppinion. But the main reason why it is wierd is because if one were enlightened they would act humbly so to proclaim it is wierd.

Patrul Rinpoche once was tired of his big celebrations and wanted to go somewhere quiet, upon roaming around in the mountians like a hermit, some lady seen him and asked if he would work for them, in exchange they would give shelter and food. Great Rinpoche is said to have agreed to even cleaning the excrement of this village. Later hearing that thier teacher was about to give a teaching, the monks came to the woods looking for Rinpoche, and the lady was shocked that the man cleaning the latrine was a pandita Patrul Rinpoche. AWESOME ! this is what enlightened people do...
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    once was tired of his big celebrations and wanted to go somewhere quiet

I would not consider this motive to be enlightened, as it is self-centric. Celebrations, noise, quiet, fecal cleaning, teaching... would all be the same... boundless acts of compassion without personal striving. Perhaps you mean "this is what 'humble' people do"?

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited July 2010
    this is what Patrul Rinpoche did. I doubt arrogant people like those on a forum, spouting platitudes of understanding and wisdom would really do such things. Such beings that work for the greater good of humanity and not themselves are rare.
  • edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    I think it is not correct because most people who make the claim have not and are deluding themselves.

I agree with what Richard says here, and I would even go so far as to say that "I have achieved Enlightenment" is probably the last thing a truly enlightened person would say. So if anyone ever says that, you know they're almost certainly under a delusion; and if you yourself are ever tempted to say it, you know you're not enlightened yet.

That said: I want to express concern for a member of this forum, who recently proclaimed that he (or she) was enlightened. Some of the responses this person received were wise and compassionate Buddhist responses, while some others seemed to have a mocking, indignant, even angry spirit to them. (I felt myself gravitating toward indignation as I read the claims this person was making, so I want to make it clear I'm pointing the finger at myself!)

Later, after contemplating the situation some more, I thought: when I step outside the knee-jerk emotional reaction, and look ahead a few weeks in that person's life, I can envision them coming to their senses and realizing they were deluding themselves about being "enlightened."

At that point, the individual might wish to return to this forum again, but to do so might entail embarrassment for them. Facing those who mocked and ridiculed them might be too difficult, and as a consequence they might avoid coming back to the forum. Thus, they would lose the benefit of this community, effectively "cast out of the tribe" by scorn. And all because they wanted to share a wonderful experience they had (even if it might not have been exactly what they thought it was).

Realizing this, my next thought was: what is the "correct" response to a claim of Enlightenment? How, if such a thing should happen again in the future, can we be better prepared, and offer a more Buddhist response?

We can agree that mockery and scorn are not in the spirit of Buddhism. Compassion and wisdom are undoubtedly more skillful ways of handling such a claim, but it seems to me the person might need some "tough love" (like Richard's Zen stick!) to help jolt them back to reality. But how to practice tough love without crossing the line into negativity? There's the rub!

Anyway, these are some of the questions I've been asking myself in the wake of this experience. If anyone agrees that such questions are important to ask, please feel free to chime in with some additional solutions: for I haven't yet figured it all out, and welcome wise and thoughtful input.
  • edited July 2010
    I believe that its important to keep vigilant on the mind that is attached to myriad phenonmena. The buddhist that claims enlightenment wouldn't be offended at a real analysis of its authenticity. This is the reason for debate in Tibet. I personally have tried to uphold scholastic views about buddhism, Though my understanding is not that of a geshe or even a pandita. I do take responsibility for inaccurate or misrepresentations, caz corrects me all the time, and its fine. I don't think i have the right to go to an expereinced forum and then try and tell everyone what thier experience is.. This seems very un buddhist. But im sure others have the opposite view.

Whats most important is that the people with the dharma and its message transmit it properly and as related to the person learning. I have been trying to do my best. in a spirit of jolting or questioning my only aim is right view and to practice dilligence and giving to a community of buddhist practitioners.
  • edited July 2010
    Whats most important is that the people with the dharma and its message transmit it properly and as related to the person learning. I have been trying to do my best. in a spirit of jolting or questioning my only aim is right view and to practice dilligence and giving to a community of buddhist practitioners.
    I, too, believe in "jolting questions," provided they are done in the proper spirit. I have often failed to practice the correct spirit in the past, but I am working on it.

"How would the Buddha respond" seems to be a good rule of thumb in such situations. The Buddha's questions often "jolted" people too, but he always phrased them in a spirit of compassion and lovingkindness, and rarely made enemies thereby. That's what was so amazing about the Buddha: he wasn't just the wisest man in the world, he was also the kindest and most compassionate as well.

Without that grounding in sila (moral purity in thought, word, and deed), I don't think true Enlightenment can occur.
  • edited July 2010
    Could we try to act like we are enlightend and think it to" ourselves " i reckon the if we think we are enlightened "truly and with proper understandings of emptiness and compassion" we will be. did buddha not say we are what we think.
    hell i love you all and nothings real....i may even be enli******
  • edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    yes.

So far...as far as I have seen in this forum, anyway - there have been no takers.

:lol:
  • edited August 2010
    This topic is always a difficult one, I took the bait when i first started posting here. I think this is realy pointless to talk about. But thats just me.
  • edited August 2010
    Danny boy wrote: »
    Could we try to act like we are enlightend and think it to" ourselves " i reckon the if we think we are enlightened "truly and with proper understandings of emptiness and compassion" we will be. did buddha not say we are what we think.

Ah, the good ol' "fake it till you make it"... :)
  • edited August 2010
    I have no problem with someone saying they are enlightened.

If they are, they don't need my validation.
    If they are not, they don't need my validation.

Either way I reserve the right to be thoroughly amused. I might even laugh.

Wan't the old saying something like, if you meet a buddha on the road laugh at him [or her as the case may be]?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    pintor wrote: »
    Wan't the old saying something like, if you meet a buddha on the road laugh at him [or her as the case may be]?

If you meet the Buddha, kill him. - Koan by Linji

Thinking about Buddha is delusion, not awakening. One must destroy preconceptions of the Buddha. Zen master Shunryu Suzuki wrote in
    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind during an introduction to Zazen, "Kill the Buddha if the Buddha exists somewhere else. Kill the Buddha, because you should resume your own Buddha nature."
  • edited August 2010
    be careful when stating things not widely researched and contrasted with other systems..
  • edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    yes.
    The difference is that he then put his money where his mouth was, and managed to prove it through his teachings, example and demonstration of how clearly he had realised Things As They Really Are.

I think he also had to 'prove himself' on more than one occasion. This he simply did by basically demonstrating flaws, errors, misconceptions and arrogance in the observations of others.

So much as he might have claimed it - he also lived it, and judging by the followers he accrued, he was living testimony many times over.

Those who proclaim themselves enlightened, had better be prepared, willing and completely able to do the same.

And why would anyone these days want to proclaim it? I can think of just two reasons: because they are up themselves (which would mean they have not reached the goal); because they want to teach and think they will be able to get more followers and success by being regarded as having reached the goal. But why would they want to teach when the words of the Buddha are available? Their teaching should be limited to pointing towards what the Buddha said, and no more.
  • edited August 2010
    Their teaching should be limited to pointing towards what the Buddha said, and no more.

This is the way.
  • edited August 2010
    Dear mugzy,

Oh yeah... kill the buddha!

Thank you for the correction.

I first read Roshi's book in 1970 when I was a student in Soto. The saying was twisted to tease you. ;)

Best regards
    P
  • edited August 2010
    I've had discussions on another forum with someone who claimed to be Enlightened, but was clearly not. The problem was that they didn't know what Buddhist Enlightenment was, but were perfectly happy to use the word.

I think Zendo's post was very thoughtful on this and mirrored my own experience, though luckily I didn't contradict them outright. I think there's no doubt that they'd had some meaningful spiritual exerience, but they were assuming an amalgam of spiritual traditions including some Buddhism. The thing that helps is patience of course, but also a willingness to explain an clarify.
    edited August 2010
    .... did buddha not say we are what we think.

No, he didn't.

:)
  • edited August 2010

If only it were that easy. The apiration to Enlightnment is a good thing, after all, it's good to have such a positive aim. Just thinking it - well I don't know about you but every day I encounter examples of why I am not Enlightened - my unskillfulness with circumstance, my lack of understanding of others, my misjudgements, the constant fog on my peceptions of the best course to pursue, my inadequate and not boundless compassion, my anger,etc etc It's a long game....:)
    edited August 2010
    I once asked a Zen Master "Have you attained enlightenment?" He said "Yes!" and immediately followed with the question "Ask me how!" So I did and he said "It's raining outside". Which it was.:D
    edited August 2010
    I was Enlightened until I got married.
  • edited August 2010
    She is the cause of your suffering richard, Is it her that grasps to self and creates your craving. Or is she so selfcentered that you have an aversion?
    edited August 2010
    She is the cause of your suffering richard, Is it her that grasps to self and creates your craving. Or is she so selfcentered that you have an aversion?
    No. It's just hard to think you're an Enlightened being, when the person you live with begs to differ.:D
  • edited August 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    No. It's just hard to think you're an Enlightened being, when the person you live with begs to differ.:D

:lol:
  • edited August 2010
    my wife tells me of my unethical actions all the time. Gives me a great practice of patience.
  • edited August 2010
    i have a propensity to lie. I know none of you all do but i lie sometimes when i feel that im not going to get something i need to be happy or lose something that i feel does.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I once asked a Zen Master "Have you attained enlightenment?" He said "Yes!" and immediately followed with the question "Ask me how!" So I did and he said "It's raining outside". Which it was.:D

A master was once unmoved by the complaints of his disciples that, though they listened with pleasure to his parables and stories, they were also frustrated for they longed for something deeper. To all their objections he would simply reply: "You have yet to understand, my friends, that the shortest distance between a human being and truth is a story."